Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 1678 Old 12-12-2005, 04:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgibson View Post

What's your thoughts on viewing quality with the VMAX100UWH? Any waves, hot spots?

Mine has been in place since late February. No hot spots at all.

About a month ago I started to notice a couple of waves appearing that were related to minor roller sag. I pulled out the aforementioned allen wrench and tweaked the stop positions by about an inch. Sagging went away.

Downside? Elite doesn't make a "smart" controller for it. No 12v input. It does have a nice combo IR/RF remote receiver, so it's easily enough programmed into your learning remote. The good news is that the connector on the screen is a standard plug, so a home-brew solution isn't out of the question.

Given the fact that this screen was less than 1/3 the price of others, I think it's more than worthy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 1678 Old 12-12-2005, 06:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Fou View Post

Mine has been in place since late February. No hot spots at all.

About a month ago I started to notice a couple of waves appearing that were related to minor roller sag. I pulled out the aforementioned allen wrench and tweaked the stop positions by about an inch. Sagging went away.

Downside? Elite doesn't make a "smart" controller for it. No 12v input. It does have a nice combo IR/RF remote receiver, so it's easily enough programmed into your learning remote. The good news is that the connector on the screen is a standard plug, so a home-brew solution isn't out of the question.

Given the fact that this screen was less than 1/3 the price of others, I think it's more than worthy.

Hello again Le Fou,

Glad to hear there 's no "hot spots" and the minor sagging is user-correctable.
The 1/3 less cost than others makes this motorized screen an attractive option
for replacing fixed-wall DIY screens.

Again, many thanks for your take and tips on this subject. (avsforums is a great place for helping/sharing info for those of us interested in AV stuff.

Regards,
sgibson
post #33 of 1678 Old 12-13-2005, 05:38 PM

My impressions, setup, and a problem...

I purchased the 100" 16x9 VMAX this month for my family room. I got it to replace a 90" fixed wall DIY screen because we wanted to hide it away during the day.

It came nicely packed and was very easy to hang from the ceiling with small hooks.

The case is nice and compact, operates smoothly, and the RF remote allows me to hide the bulky receiver unit out of view. We now have a 50" plasma mounted on the wall for the majority of our TV, but when its time to watch a movie the VMAX drops down in front of the plasma for the big screen experience... very impressive effect!

As mentioned by others, the screen takes 30+ seconds to raise/lower. I often hit the raise button and walk away while it rolls up. This seemed to work fine at first, but I recently discovered that when it reaches the top the motor apparently sometimes doesn't stop. It makes a nasty groaning noise for 10 seconds or so, but not something so loud you would hear from another room.

Because I don't usually stick around while its rolling up, I have no idea how often this has happened. After hearing this for the first time this weekend, I tried a few up/down tests and it seems to happen about half the time (and I stop it immediately). I'm also now noticing dozens of pronounced "ripples" that extend up about 6" from the bottom bar. I didn't notice these initially, so I suspect the overrun at the top might have caused some stretching of the screen surface? The ripples are noticable whenever the camera pans and extremely visible on any channel that has scrolling text across the bottom (espn, cnn, etc).

I'm still using the screen, but I make sure to hit the stop button just before it reaches the top. I realize the up position is adjustable, but the instructions in the manual are noticably different from the ones on elitescreens website for my particular model (Type A) so I have yet to attempt. I didn't buy directly from Elite, but I plan to call the tech support number with my situation and will report back here.

Has anyone here...
- had to adjust the top position from the factory default?
- experienced overrun at the top?
- got noticable ripples at base of screen (only 2 weeks old)?

- mark -
post #34 of 1678 Old 12-14-2005, 12:25 PM

[quote=sgibson]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gleep52 View Post

I would like to give a review I have from the VMAX100UWV model. That's the 100" electric 4:3 model in black casing.

Gleep52:Thanks for a great review. I'm considering replacing my DIY wall mounted screen (viewing area 45"Hx82"Wx92"Diag from 12feet.) with the Elite VMAX100UWH 16:9. My concern is the Infocus SP4805 lens C/L is only 3" from the drop ceiling. The SP4805 is angled up slightly, so that it projects a top screen viewing edge that is 7-1/4" below the ceiling. Since the Elite VMAX100UWH specs 18" of Black Drop at the top, can I adjust the screen to just display the 7-1/4" that I need, instead of the entire 18" top mask, or does it automatically drop the full 18"with no fine adjustments?

TIA,
sgibson

The 18" black drop at the top is totally adjustable. Very simple too - did mine in about a minute and that was with my anal precision.

It will work great for you.
post #35 of 1678 Old 12-14-2005, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgibson View Post

Le Fou,

Thank you very much for the info! That helps narrow my choice for replacing DIY screen with an affordable motorized 16x9 screen. What's your thoughts on viewing quality with the VMAX100UWH? Any waves, hot spots?
Regards,
sgibson

I sadly announce that with my 100" 4:3 screen - I am finding some waving going on when I sit in the first row in my theatre... first row is about 8 feet away. When I sit in the second row - I do not see the waving hardly at all even when I'm TRYING to see it... the second row is about 12-14 feet away.

I'm pretty sure that it just has to do with the viewing angle being more acute when sitting so close. If I look at it from the side, it still doesn't look too bad. At the bottom few inches of the screen there is some screen pinch and sag in various areas... Anyone know of a simple fix for this?
post #36 of 1678 Old 12-14-2005, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjos View Post

Has anyone here...
- had to adjust the top position from the factory default?
- experienced overrun at the top?
- got noticable ripples at base of screen (only 2 weeks old)?

- mark -

Adjustments - simple... if you have type A - get a 5/32 (I think) and stick it in the bottom hole and turn it little bits and test your new setting with an up stop down command... if you want to adjust the top - tweak the top hole and do the opposite test (down stop up) command. Just remember to be careful with the top one and bottom one when doing the adjustment that you don't go too far the WRONG way... do little tiny tweaks first... that's what I did... after that - smooth sailing.

I have yet to have the problem of overrun. I would suggest tweaking the adjustment - perhaps it is not set completely and the motor skips the setting because it doesn't sense a stop position? I'm unsure.

I've got a few ripples at the base but only one that extends up past a the two inch black border. I've had mine for over a month now. I'm thinking of inventing some type of stretching/tension/bracket mount for it to keep the bottom looking flat and smooth. I noticed when I provide something for the screen's bottom bar to rest on - the ripples (nearly) disappear and there is no more waving.

For that reason, I'm pondering the idea of a "holder" for the bottom bar to fall into place of - like a permenantly mounted U shaped item that would allow the bar to fall into place and rest there... removing the ripples/waving affect... anything have any thoughts on that - think it would work or no?
post #37 of 1678 Old 12-20-2005, 07:29 PM

Just wondering if any of you EZ frame owners could post any pictures of the frame and screen, some screenshots would be great as well. I can't seem to find any info on the net about these screens but the price is fantastic. Thanks.
post #38 of 1678 Old 12-25-2005, 08:36 PM

Well, I have a Sanyo Z3 paired with an Elite HOME100IWH Electric screen, and quite frankly I could not be happier. I have never used another screen before, so really have nothing to compare it with, but in my search for an electric screen, this was the best value out there and came with some good reviews. I've had it now for a little over a year, and still looks and works as good as new!
post #39 of 1678 Old 12-27-2005, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmbeal View Post

Just wondering if any of you EZ frame owners could post any pictures of the frame and screen, some screenshots would be great as well. I can't seem to find any info on the net about these screens but the price is fantastic. Thanks.

Im also interested for the screenshot of the frame.
post #40 of 1678 Old 12-28-2005, 06:39 AM

I have a 100" fixed frame. I'll try to snap a few pics today when I get home from work. I've been meaning to do it for awhile now, but haven't got around to it.
post #41 of 1678 Old 12-29-2005, 05:51 PM

I snapped a quick shot of the screen. Click on my username to the left and select view photo gallery. There are more shots at my HT pics link in my sig.
post #42 of 1678 Old 01-03-2006, 09:55 AM

Thanks for posting the pictures. I decided to get one myself I'll let you you guys know what I think.
post #43 of 1678 Old 01-06-2006, 06:35 AM

No problem. I have a couple screenshots up now in my HT pics album, link in my sig. This was my first attempt at a screenshot, so don't expect much
post #44 of 1678 Old 01-08-2006, 04:31 PM

I have had a VMAX100 for a little over a year. A decent amount of waves have appeared and it looks like some oil have dripped on the screen in several areas. Any suggestions on reducing the waves and removing the oil spots?
post #45 of 1678 Old 01-08-2006, 06:29 PM

I am considering purchasing a Elite VMAX 100UWH screen. According to the spec sheet the viewing size is 49x87 inches with a screen size of 57x91 inches for a total overall size of 60.6x91 inches. This screen also has 18" of Black Drop at the top, so should the total overall be 75 inches.

Thanks
post #46 of 1678 Old 01-09-2006, 03:20 PM

I received my EzFrame 52" x 92" screen at the weekend and have set it up.

I was missing one pin (needed 22, only had 21 in the box), but managed to use a bolt of the same size which worked.

Question - The material was shipped on a roll, but was folded in the middle. As such there is a faint vertical line in the screen - can't really see it looking straight on but either side of centre you can see it clearly on bright scenes. Elite have told me it should disappear in a couple of days. Has anyone else experienced this ?

Thanks !
-Matt
post #47 of 1678 Old 01-09-2006, 08:02 PM

I am considering the Elite Screens EZ Fixed Frame R92H 92-Inch 16:9 Format Projection Screen Black Velvet Case

Any comments? its only $350 for a fixed screen

the other option is i have purchased the screen material serperate, and i would have to build a frame (for a fraction of the cost), any thoughts.
post #48 of 1678 Old 01-10-2006, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilsbm View Post

I received my EzFrame 52" x 92" screen at the weekend and have set it up.

I was missing one pin (needed 22, only had 21 in the box), but managed to use a bolt of the same size which worked.

Question - The material was shipped on a roll, but was folded in the middle. As such there is a faint vertical line in the screen - can't really see it looking straight on but either side of centre you can see it clearly on bright scenes. Elite have told me it should disappear in a couple of days. Has anyone else experienced this ?

Thanks !
-Matt

Dear Matt,

I just put together mine on thursday, dont see the fold as you did
pulling the screen material was a little nerve racking , but the difference
over a 97x72 wavy pull down was huge i love it. the price was under half
of other maker's like carada or draper. i'm using a panny ae900u.
with an oppo dvd player. i wont be going to the ciniplex again.
post #49 of 1678 Old 01-10-2006, 08:36 PM

Just thought I would let EZ Frame owners know that Elite is now selling a matte white screen with a 1.1 gain if anyone is interested. I ordered this screen as I thought the gray was to dark for my 4805, when it gets in I will let you know what I think, there is also a 1.5 gain white screen almost a silver white they are thinking of releasing. This high gain white as they call it looks great on the sample I have better than my Graywolf in my opinion. If there is enough interest in the high gain they will produce it for the EZ Frame, But as of now it is not in production for the EZ Frame.
post #50 of 1678 Old 01-11-2006, 08:44 AM

Are the EZ-Frame screen nice? I am looking at a 92" grey screen (fixed). What do you guys think... it's either that or I frame one myself (I can get white material pretty cheap).
post #51 of 1678 Old 01-14-2006, 12:56 AM

The frame is very nice couldn't be happier,but the screen I thought was to dark. I ordered the matte white material and am still waiting on this before I make my decision if it is worth it.
post #52 of 1678 Old 01-17-2006, 01:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Would you guys still buy a elite screen if it was 3x the price?
post #53 of 1678 Old 01-17-2006, 09:42 AM

Quote:

Would you guys still buy a elite screen if it was 3x the price?

I don't know that I would have bought the Elite if it was 3x the amount, I didn't have that kind of money for a screen so thats why I got the Elite. I would recommend the EZ Frame screen to anyone looking in this price bracket. The build quality is very nice they have great customer service and the EZ frame with the matte white screen produces a beautiful picture. I have tried the Optoma Graywolf and some diy solutions (parkland plastics,durotherm, and some paint mixes) Elite is the one still on my wall.
post #54 of 1678 Old 01-28-2006, 03:47 PM

I just put up the 92" Elite Eazy Frame Screen partnered with my Infocus 4805 in my bedroom.

I am getting really distracted by the very noticable screen grain mostly around the bright spot during lighter scenes. Almost to the point I liked how it looked just displayed on the wall better.

Is there anything I can do to make this more tolerable or did I get the wrong screen for me?
post #55 of 1678 Old 01-29-2006, 02:54 PM

I have the same screen and projector but I ordered the matte white screen material from Elite and am very happy with the results. I should also note that I'm in a light controlled theater sitting 15ft. back.
post #56 of 1678 Old 02-04-2006, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbutter View Post

I just put up the 92" Elite Eazy Frame Screen partnered with my Infocus 4805 in my bedroom.

I am getting really distracted by the very noticable screen grain mostly around the bright spot during lighter scenes. Almost to the point I liked how it looked just displayed on the wall better.

Is there anything I can do to make this more tolerable or did I get the wrong screen for me?

I have the 106" Elite Eazy Frame Screen partnered with a Panasonic AE900U.

I notice screen grain when watching HD hockey, and one spot almost looks like it is dirty/smudged (I inspected the area with a flashlight and it is indeed clean and free from foreign substances). It also seems to "enhance" vertical banding on the ice surface. I moved the pj while watching hockey to make sure it was the screen and not the pj, it was the screen

I have had it for a few days, no time to watch any movies on it just HD hockey and some HD tv. I am leaning towards getting a different screen all together.

Before my screen arrived I had setup a piece of black out cloth and I didnt notice such anomalies.

I will give it a few more days before giving up on it.
post #57 of 1678 Old 02-07-2006, 04:40 PM

I am exhanging my material for the matte white to see if it is any better.

With the high contrast grey I wasn't happy with the hotspotting and there were some small areas of discolouration, even though the screen was free of any dirt etc, just like you mention.

However Elite very helpful - I was able to fill out an RMA and they are sending me new material this week to try before I send the old material back.

-Matt
post #58 of 1678 Old 02-09-2006, 07:50 AM

Has anyone seen or tried the new Cinetension series of tab-tensioned electric screens? Someone on e*** is selling them for incredible prices, e.g. $600 for a 52" x 92" with grey fabric and both RF and IR remotes. I know some tab tensioned screens are worth the extra cost and others aren't, was wondering if Elite's are any good.
post #59 of 1678 Old 02-09-2006, 08:33 AM

Bigsmith,

I was just about to post the same exact thing. The only info that I could find on elite's website about their new cinetension line is in the news section:

http://www.elitescreens.com/whatisnew_cinetension.htm

It seems that all the 16:9 models are only offered in High Contrast Grey. Anyone have experience with the grey material from Elite? I might go ahead and try it out.
post #60 of 1678 Old 02-09-2006, 12:22 PM

Some of the comments on this thread suggest that Elite's gray material is too dark and/or hotspots. Odd that they wouldn't offer this model with matte white material.
Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Da Lite Screens , Panasonic Et Lae700 Replacement Lamp For Pt Ae700u , Projectors , Elite Screens Inc
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page