Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 1680 Old 12-13-2008, 02:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlroth View Post

Anyone have the IR codes for this or any elite screens? i bought a used one and the remote is missing but am hoping I can program my harmony remote to work with it.

For Spectrum, VMAX2 (Plus), Home2(3) and Tension2(3) Series
Up: 1111 0000 0001
Stop: 1111 0000 0010
Down: 1111 0000 0100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1680 Old 12-15-2008, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofygrin View Post

Well I put together my 120" Elite fixed cinegray eBay special last night.

Other than an oopsie that took off some of the felt (don't ask) on the border, it looks great.

It is definitely a two person job getting those clips on while stretching the material!

My wife and I just put ours together over the weekend. I was thinking that the material was going to rip at any second but that is how it stretches so flat. I looks great. Coming from a painted wall anything is an improvement. I need to adust the PJ settings. I am very pleased so far.
post #633 of 1680 Old 12-16-2008, 08:22 PM

Hey all,

I just got an Elite manual pull down screen in Matte White and it looks great so far, except I can see the screen texture. Does anyone else have this problem? I mean, I'm not so sure it's a "problem" but I guess I wasn't expecting to see the screen texture. I thought it would be a bit more transparent than it is.
post #634 of 1680 Old 12-17-2008, 08:51 AM

Liked: 11
Has anyone directly compared the differences between a cinetension and a cinetension 2 screen? I am helping a friend build a system and we are down to the screen...and finally have narrowed it down to one of these two. Is it worth the extra $100-$200 to go with the Cinetension 2?
post #635 of 1680 Old 12-17-2008, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I just received a TE100HW2 from Amazon. It appears to be an older revision of the screen. It has a build date of Jan. 2007. Its the older Elite logo, plus it appears the cord is on the right side of the screen and it appears to have the older trigger hardware.

I have not had a chance to mount it yet though.

Anyone else who recently purchased this screen get this old of stock. I went with Amazon because of the free shipping and plus their credit card rewards (3 points for every dollar spent at their store).

The box had the proper model number, but this looks more like the original Cinetension.

post #636 of 1680 Old 12-17-2008, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikethewxguy View Post

Has anyone directly compared the differences between a cinetension and a cinetension 2 screen? I am helping a friend build a system and we are down to the screen...and finally have narrowed it down to one of these two. Is it worth the extra $100-$200 to go with the Cinetension 2?

I don't believe you can get the original Cinetension anymore.

post #637 of 1680 Old 12-17-2008, 09:36 AM

I know they are still listed on the Provantage site...but they might just have not updated their site?
post #638 of 1680 Old 12-17-2008, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I know they are still listed on the Provantage site...but they might just have not updated their site?

mike,

It appears Elite is clearing out some old stock. They currently have a 100" Matte White Cinetension for a good deal. I think the Cinetension2 series recently had an update but the original Cinetension and Cinetension2 were very similar. Most notably the 2 series includes the trigger hardware. Unless one plans on using the trigger hardware or must have the current revision of the 2 series you may want to have your friend check it out. Not sure what shipping is though.

post #639 of 1680 Old 12-17-2008, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toknowshita View Post

I just received a TE100HW2 from Amazon. It appears to be an older revision of the screen. It has a build date of Jan. 2007. Its the older Elite logo, plus it appears the cord is on the right side of the screen and it appears to have the older trigger hardware.

I have not had a chance to mount it yet though.

Anyone else who recently purchased this screen get this old of stock. I went with Amazon because of the free shipping and plus their credit card rewards (3 points for every dollar spent at their store).

The box had the proper model number, but this looks more like the original Cinetension.

My friend was almost ready to order from amazon as well, and he was probably going to go with the TE100HW2 (same one as you) but then we found that he could get a 106" (TE106HW2) from Provantage for less $$ (at leats at the current prices showing today)...so, he will more than likely be ordering that one today from them...he decided to go ahead and pony up the little bit of extra cash for the cinetension2...because he just got his projector last night....he's getting antsy

Perhaps you could return the screen to amazon (they are really awesome w/ returns) and go with another one elsewhere....? Just a thought...especially if you don't think it's the current model.....
post #640 of 1680 Old 12-17-2008, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My friend was almost ready to order from amazon as well, and he was probably going to go with the TE100HW2 (same one as you) but then we found that he could get a 106" (TE106HW2) from Provantage for less $$ (at leats at the current prices showing today)...so, he will more than likely be ordering that one today from them...he decided to go ahead and pony up the little bit of extra cash for the cinetension2...because he just got his projector last night....he's getting antsy

Perhaps you could return the screen to amazon (they are really awesome w/ returns) and go with another one elsewhere....? Just a thought...especially if you don't think it's the current model.....

Thanks for the info. The slightly older model may work better for me. The IR would be on the same side of the room as the sensor for my IR repeating system. Also I am recessing the screen into a finished open ceiling space and it is going to be a tight fit. I don't think I could fit the 106" into the same space.

As far as the models go it sounds like their may be a couple of iterations of the Cinetension2 floating around in the retail channels. If you want to get the latest have Provantage verify it is the Type E version.

post #641 of 1680 Old 12-18-2008, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, I got an answer from Elite regarding the screen. What I received is a rev 1.3 which is a Cinetension2 screen, but they replaced it with the rev1.4 over a year and a half ago. The 1.3 does not have the RJ45 port and the wall box if used needs to be connected directly to the screen.

It appears to be a new screen I guess I am just curious why Amazon had this old of stock. I will probably keep it unless it does not function properly.

The one advantage is that the IR port is on the same side as my inwall IR sensor for the IR repeating sytem.

Also, the Elite rep did confirm that I do have the full 2-year warranty with the screen. So that is a little piece of mind regarding the purchase.

post #642 of 1680 Old 12-23-2008, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
How hard is it to get hold of Elite by email to request samples? I sent emails to two different addresses and they came back saying their mailbox was full.
post #643 of 1680 Old 12-24-2008, 08:18 AM

During normal business hours Elite offers an online chat with one of their support/sales reps. I used that to ask questions and request samples. If possible, you might ask for larger samples as the ones they sent me were very small, much smaller than Carada or Da-Lite, and difficult to evaluate. That said, I still ended up going with Elite CineWhite 1.1 as the best match for my AE3000 and basement HT.
post #644 of 1680 Old 12-24-2008, 11:06 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMenke View Post

How hard is it to get hold of Elite by email to request samples? I sent emails to two different addresses and they came back saying their mailbox was full.

I had the same response from about 6 emails to various addresses. The confusing this is that their email system sends an automated response saying they got the post I sent. But I still haven't gotten a real person to answer. I'll try R o d ' s suggestion.
post #645 of 1680 Old 12-24-2008, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R o d View Post

I still ended up going with Elite CineWhite 1.1 as the best match for my AE3000 and basement HT.

I have the same projector in a basement HT. How would you describe the surface texture of the CineWhite? Do you feel like it preserves all the resolution of the AE3000? Does it hotspot or look "sparkly"?
post #646 of 1680 Old 12-24-2008, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendo70433 View Post

I had the same response from about 6 emails to various addresses. The confusing this is that their email system sends an automated response saying they got the post I sent. But I still haven't gotten a real person to answer. I'll try R o d ' s suggestion.

It's bad form for them to not have a viable email response system...better to not have an email address, than to have one that never gets answered.

This morning I sent a request to a dealer for an obscure budget screen brand called Focupix and they already replied.
post #647 of 1680 Old 12-24-2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:

I have the same projector in a basement HT. How would you describe the surface texture of the CineWhite? Do you feel like it preserves all the resolution of the AE3000? Does it hotspot or look "sparkly"?

The CineWhite is a smooth textured white screen with minimal gain. It compares favorably in texture and gain with some of the Da-Lite alternatives, however at a much lower price point. I compared about 10 screen samples before deciding on the Elite. You can see a more detailed write-up at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post15128015

I haven't had a chance to do as much viewing as I would like due to holiday preparations, but so far so good. The CineWhite 1.1 seems to be a perfect match for the AE3000 in a fairly well light controlled room. Not hotspotting or "sparkly" effect whatsoever.
post #648 of 1680 Old 12-26-2008, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

I assembled our 120" EZ Frame screen yesterday and immediately discovered that there is a slit in the screen material (CineWhite). I bought it from a seller brand new on eBay on December 2nd but only got around to assembling it yesterday for the holiday. I called Elite today and they are closed for the holiday weekend. I emailed my seller but no response yet, surely also due to the holiday as the seller has perfect feedback. Sitting here with a brand new damaged screen and no one to talk to is a bit frustrating. Does anyone have any experience with Elite and how they remedy an issue such as this? Being that the frame is already assembled, I am hoping they will simply ship new screen material. Any insight?

Thank you

My Ridiculously Inexpensive Dedicated Kick *** Home Theaters!
RIDKAHT <The Original>
RIDKAHT <<The Sequel>>
RIDKAHT <<<Part III>>>
post #649 of 1680 Old 12-26-2008, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

docprego, I would try to work it out with the eBay seller first. They may be able to just ship you a new screen insert. I believe the Elite factory is in CA, not too far from you. The seller might be able to save himself some shipping cost (and you some delay) by drop shipping the material directly to you from Elite - maybe you could suggest that to him. I would email photos of the slit to the seller to document the problem. How confident are you that the seller is an authorized reseller who can honor the Elite warranty?
post #650 of 1680 Old 12-26-2008, 02:15 PM

Quote:

I've owned the Da-lite HCCV material and the sparklies are more noticeable than the Elite Cinewhite that I own now. And no hotspotting with my Benq W5000. This material really disappears and let's you enjoy your projector without looking for screen abnormalities.

xBL gamertag: BladeRunner123
post #651 of 1680 Old 12-26-2008, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowkiss View Post

I've owned the Da-lite HCCV material and the sparklies are more noticeable than the Elite Cinewhite that I own now. And no hotspotting with my Benq W5000. This material really disappears and let's you enjoy your projector without looking for screen abnormalities.

That's great, just what I'm looking for, so I've finally settled on the Elite CineWhite. I just ordered a 2.35 115" diagonal and should have it in about 1-1/2 to 2 weeks. I'll report back with my impressions.
post #652 of 1680 Old 12-26-2008, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Anyone know where I can buy some of the same material Elite uses for their border?

Alcohol. The cause of and solution to all of life's problems.
post #653 of 1680 Old 12-27-2008, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

docprego, I would try to work it out with the eBay seller first. They may be able to just ship you a new screen insert. I believe the Elite factory is in CA, not too far from you. The seller might be able to save himself some shipping cost (and you some delay) by drop shipping the material directly to you from Elite - maybe you could suggest that to him. I would email photos of the slit to the seller to document the problem. How confident are you that the seller is an authorized reseller who can honor the Elite warranty?

Thank you for the input. I heard from my seller the next morning and they have been very responsive answering all of my questions very promptly. They told me they will be contacting Elite on Monday and asked me to email them a photo of the damage. So far I couldn't ask for better service.

My Ridiculously Inexpensive Dedicated Kick *** Home Theaters!
RIDKAHT <The Original>
RIDKAHT <<The Sequel>>
RIDKAHT <<<Part III>>>
post #654 of 1680 Old 12-29-2008, 08:30 AM

I'm seeing a lot of information here (on this thread, and in other places on the forum) about the CineTension 1/2 and VMAX screens, but I can find very little information about the Elite Spectrum.

Given its low price point, it would seem to be a popular model. Granted, no tension on the screen, but other than that, is there something that I'm missing? The Elite Home2 is not a tensioned screen yet is priced much higher -- what is the main difference here? Honestly I'm a little confused about what constitutes the main (important) differences between the VMAX2, Home2, and Spectrum.

Primary use cases would be HT movies and games.

Thanks!
post #655 of 1680 Old 12-29-2008, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just replaced an original Optoma GreyWolf that was plagued with sparklies and waves with a CineTension2 matte white screen. No sparklies, no hotspotting and most importantly no noticeable waves on horizontal paning.

Best upgrade I have done to the video portion of the system since adding an Epson 1080UB.

post #656 of 1680 Old 12-29-2008, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfm View Post

I'm seeing a lot of information here (on this thread, and in other places on the forum) about the CineTension 1/2 and VMAX screens, but I can find very little information about the Elite Spectrum.

Given its low price point, it would seem to be a popular model. Granted, no tension on the screen, but other than that, is there something that I'm missing? The Elite Home2 is not a tensioned screen yet is priced much higher -- what is the main difference here? Honestly I'm a little confused about what constitutes the main (important) differences between the VMAX2, Home2, and Spectrum.

Primary use cases would be HT movies and games.

Thanks!

I would strongly suggest to anyone considering a nontensioned drop screen (manual or electric) to reconsider. Once a screen starts developing waves they become very noticeable especially on horizontal paning or scrolling text at the bottom of the screen.

If you can't afford to go with a tensioned model then consider going with a fixed frame model (which are tensioned by their design) if you don't need a retractable screen. Otherwise save a little more and go with a tensioned model.

post #657 of 1680 Old 12-30-2008, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toknowshita View Post

i would strongly suggest to anyone considering a nontensioned drop screen (manual or electric) to reconsider. Once a screen starts developing waves they become very noticeable especially on horizontal paning or scrolling text at the bottom of the screen.

If you can't afford to go with a tensioned model then consider going with a fixed frame model (which are tensioned by their design) if you don't need a retractable screen. Otherwise save a little more and go with a tensioned model.

+1
post #658 of 1680 Old 12-30-2008, 03:44 PM

mikethewxguy was asking about the AcousticPro screen material. I bought a cinetension2 106" screen (model TE106HW2-A) two months ago and have watched about 10 movies on it with family and friends. What I can tell you is that the sound is great, nobody has noticed any diminished sound clarity from the center channel speaker (bose brand).

However the screen material is noticable when viewing a movie. Of all the people that have viewed it, they either have not really noticed it or they did know it was there but it did not affect thier moviewatching experience, execpt ME!! I noticed it immediatly when I was setting up the projector, but I hoped that when viewing a movie that it would not be noticeable. What I see is what I call the "weave" of the material. The actual weave is very small. It resembles cloth. When an image is projected on it however, wavy lines appear on it. The lines generally are vertical, but they do curve. They are approx. two inches apart and cover most of the screen. It bothers me so badly that I really do not look forward to watching a movie on it. In some scenes it is not noticeable to me at all, but on closeups of faces or panoramic views with lots of light colors such as the sky or a light colored background, I find it VERY noticeable. I find it strange that I am the only one that is botherd by this, my wife thinks that I am crazy because she has no issues with it at all. I think it is such a bother to me because I am sort of a perfectionest and I am looking for as close to a movie theater experience that I can get.

All other aspects of the screen are great. Excellent color retention, sharp images and quality throught.

So I would say that since I am the only person of seven or eight that have viewed the screen that has issues with it, generally you will not have a problem with it unless you are a perfectionest type.
post #659 of 1680 Old 01-01-2009, 08:13 AM

Stepyourgameup,

from what I can tell the border material is a 'thin' velour/velvet that is spray adhesived onto the alluminum frame. although not the same, you can find velour tape 2-4" wide online (never seen it in person though). I had previously built my own screen and i used black velvet from Jo-Ann frabrics. It was pricey just because i wanted no breaks in the material along the long sides of the frame. You would be best served waiting until it goes on sale and then using the 40% off a single item coupon in the sunday papers. the frabric from JoAnns is a rich thick velvet though.
The elite material still does the trick just as well, I will say.

post #660 of 1680 Old 01-01-2009, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Anybody come up with a DIY mask for the Elite fixed frames ? ...I have the 100" dia...I would like to be rid of the black bars if possible with out costing a arm and leg. Thanks

Joe V.
Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Da Lite Screens , Panasonic Et Lae700 Replacement Lamp For Pt Ae700u , Projectors , Elite Screens Inc
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page