Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 1688 Old 01-31-2009, 09:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vili View Post

Do you have to assemble the EZ-Frame yourself and tension the screen? Just curious. Also, how well does the border mask bleeding? I have a monoprice mount on my Epson 6100 and for the life of me can't get a straight image. The right side of the image is up slightly compared to the left side.

You can have a installer in your area put it together for you, but I found it easy to put together myself, by simply following the directions. It takes a little over an hour to put the whole screen together, and that's including putting the screen on the frame and hanging it on the wall. The screen is held in place by a bunch, around 30, small little clips. The clips easily snap onto the back of the frame. Tension rods that come with the packing slide easily into the horizontal and vertical sleeves on the screen. From there, all you do is take the tension rods and sit them into the metal groves that run vertically and horizontally along the back of the frame.

I found the tension rods and clips do a great job providing a perfectly flat screen surface. I am not familiar with Epson, but I see no bleeding. The masking does a great job preventing any bleeding from my eyes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1688 Old 02-01-2009, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Thank you all for your input. It looks like this screen might be my best bet. It is pretty much the most inexpensive of all the fixed frame screens by a commercial company. I ordered some samples about 10 days ago, hopefully I get them in soon.
post #723 of 1688 Old 02-01-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vili View Post

Thank you all for your input. It looks like this screen might be my best bet. It is pretty much the most inexpensive of all the fixed frame screens by a commercial company. I ordered some samples about 10 days ago, hopefully I get them in soon.

I assembled and hung a 100" EZ-Frame by myself (along with a laser level) earlier this week in a little over an hour. Assembling the frame was very easy as all screw holes are pre-drilled. The black masking does a very good job...I'm very happy with the picture quality (with an Epson 6100).
post #724 of 1688 Old 02-05-2009, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Hello all,

I am going to be purchasing the Epson Home Cinema 6100 for use in a basement family room, along with a 106" Elite screen (ezFrame or Cinetension). I am trying to decide whether I should get the CineWhite or Cinegrey material. There will often be significant ambient light in the room when the projector is in use, including lights on at times. The HC6100 is quite bright, but I don't want the image to wash out too much if the lights are on. Does anybody have these kind of conditions using either the Cinewhite or Cinegrey material? I would appreciate hearing your experiences. Thanks.

post #725 of 1688 Old 02-09-2009, 08:13 AM

bkeeler10, I'm agonizing over the same question. I have white walls, white carpet, white ceiling etc. The wall being projected toward will be a darker color and I'm shooting with an Optoma HD806 (known as a light cannon) to what will be a 100 inch screen.

PPeople suggest white, but I'm leaning toward grey

Nothing, nada, zip
post #726 of 1688 Old 02-09-2009, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Regarding Elite Cinewhite vs. Cinegray, check out the link in my signature.

In my opinion, when you have ambient light coming in, your black levels are gonna be terrible anyway so a gray screen isn't going to help much. I'd only consider a gray screen if you aren't happy with your projector's black level performance under your best (darkest) conditions in your setup. But even then I still wouldn't go with Elite Cinegray material because while it does help with black levels, it does that at the expense of everything else....including making the image dimmer with ambient light. YMMV.

Have an Onkyo 805 receiver and having trouble setting up Audyssey? HERE is a mini how-to.Click HERE to check out my comparison review of 5 different projection screen fabrics.
post #727 of 1688 Old 02-10-2009, 05:09 PM

i have the 6100 and i currently have a maxwhite pulldown screen.... i have dark walls but light ceiling and carpet.... i found that in really bright scenes the reflections from the room wash out the blacks in the image... i found that i need something to tame the brightness, so i just placed an order for a elite gray screen.... i talked to a guy at elite online chat (very helpful) and he said there are two types of gray material... on some of their older models there gray was very dark and did dim the whole image... he recommended that i get one with the newer gray that isnt quite so dark... i was buying a 120 silvermax with the model number silvermax120H... but he said to make sure i get the silvermaxh2 (which is the vmax2 series) and it will have the lighter (and in his opinion better) gray screen.. also the cinetension grays have the new material also... most of the online vendors with the lower prices had the old ones... only best buy, visual apex (on backorder) and projector guys had the silvermax vmax2...i will let you know how it works out for me...

ChadT do you know if you had the newer or older cinegray material??
post #728 of 1688 Old 02-10-2009, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxjoexx View Post

i have the 6100 and i currently have a maxwhite pulldown screen.... i have dark walls but light ceiling and carpet.... i found that in really bright scenes the reflections from the room wash out the blacks in the image... i found that i need something to tame the brightness, so i just placed an order for a elite gray screen.... i talked to a guy at elite online chat (very helpful) and he said there are two types of gray material... on some of their older models there gray was very dark and did dim the whole image... he recommended that i get one with the newer gray that isnt quite so dark... i was buying a 120 silvermax with the model number silvermax120H... but he said to make sure i get the silvermaxh2 (which is the vmax2 series) and it will have the lighter (and in his opinion better) gray screen.. also the cinetension grays have the new material also... most of the online vendors with the lower prices had the old ones... only best buy, visual apex (on backorder) and projector guys had the silvermax vmax2...i will let you know how it works out for me...

ChadT do you know if you had the newer or older cinegray material??

I purchased my screen with the Cinegray material and it was model R106H1. Elite did have an older version of Cinegray that didn't have the "1" (i.e. R106H) at the end of the model number. As far as I know (and according to their site) there hasn't been another revision of Cinegray (unless I'm overlooking it).

Have an Onkyo 805 receiver and having trouble setting up Audyssey? HERE is a mini how-to.Click HERE to check out my comparison review of 5 different projection screen fabrics.
post #729 of 1688 Old 02-10-2009, 07:35 PM

For those interested in the AcousticPro screen material. After tweaking the focus very carefully per Michael W's suggestions. I have gotten rid of about 80% of the moire and reduced the remaining 20% considerably. This resulted in a picture that is vastly improved and quite satisfying to view. I am happy to say that I will keep this screen!
post #730 of 1688 Old 02-10-2009, 09:00 PM

Has anyone compared the Acoustipro material to the SMX screen material? I'm sure the SMX is a tighther, nicer weave, but I wonder whether it's worth the price premium.
post #731 of 1688 Old 02-14-2009, 01:42 PM

So I just set up my Elite VMax2 120" screen, got the power hooked up and go to lower the screen and *click* nothing happens. Just the sound of the relay click when a button is pressed on the remote. Nothing else.

Anyone else have this issue? I can't call support until Monday (not open until then) and it's really bothering me.

Thanks!
post #732 of 1688 Old 02-14-2009, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 165
I have now an Elite Cinetension II 100” whit PowerGain surface. For me is OK, I like the color accuracy and punch, but my wife hate this screen because the screen surface is very noticeable on illuminate scenes and sports, and very distracting. I’m considering changing to an Elite Cinetension 2 100” whit CineWhite surface. Anyone has notice any imperfection or visible screen surface in this material (CineWhite)? BTW, my projector is a Sony VPL-VW40 and the room is light controlled.

Thanks for the advices

Enrico Castagnetti

Best Regards,

Enrico Castagnetti
Rythmik Audio

My Multimedia Room Gallery

post #733 of 1688 Old 02-14-2009, 03:33 PM
Advanced Member

has anyone here used the "free" projector mount elite sends to you? i have the option to get it from them for the price of shipping but wanted to know how big of a POS it is or if its actually half way decent...ive got a mitsubishi HC6500
post #734 of 1688 Old 02-20-2009, 08:21 AM

Liked: 11
I have been looking at the AE3000 and wonder how my 100" EZFrame would look with it. My screen gain is 1.1. The projector will be roughly 10 feet away.

Anyone have this setup?

120" Electric Motorized Remote Projection Screen Movie Projector Black Matt 16:9, Elite Screens R115WH1-WIDE ezFrame Fixed Projection Screen (115" 2.35:1 AR)(CineWhite), Onkyo TX-NR616 7.2-Channel THX Select2 Plus Certified Network A/V Receiver(Black), Klipsch Reference Series R-1650-C In-Wall/In...
post #735 of 1688 Old 02-20-2009, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bujee1 View Post

I have been looking at the AE3000 and wonder how my 100" EZFrame would look with it. My screen gain is 1.1. The projector will be roughly 10 feet away.

Anyone have this setup?

Mine is close. 103" Cinema235 EZFrame Screen with 1.1 gain using the AE3000. I have posted a lot of screenshots here in my build thread.

7.1 Dedicated Home Theater
Speakers: (3) Klipsch LaScalas for LCR, RS-62ii Side Surrounds, RS-62ii Back Surrounds & RSW-15 Sub (Maple)

Video: Panasonic AE3000u Projector with 103" Elite Cinescope (2.35:1) Screen, PS3 (80 gig) for Blu-ray, AppleTV
Audio: Harman Kardon AVR 3600 with Sherbourn 72100A...

post #736 of 1688 Old 02-20-2009, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwv651 View Post

Anybody come up with a DIY mask for the Elite fixed frames ? ...I have the 100" dia...I would like to be rid of the black bars if possible with out costing a arm and leg. Thanks

A bit late but anyway, I just completed a pair of masks for my 120" Elite fixed frame. I have a thread about it here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post15525357

My Ridiculously Inexpensive Dedicated Kick *** Home Theaters!
RIDKAHT <The Original>
RIDKAHT <<The Sequel>>
RIDKAHT <<<Part III>>>
post #737 of 1688 Old 02-20-2009, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by docprego View Post

Thank you for the input. I heard from my seller the next morning and they have been very responsive answering all of my questions very promptly. They told me they will be contacting Elite on Monday and asked me to email them a photo of the damage. So far I couldn't ask for better service.

I just wanted to post the outcome of my Elite screen situation. My seller did get me in contact with Elite on thatMonday as promised. I emailed them a photo of the damage as requested. Elite told me that they were out of stock on my screen material but offered the high gain as a substitute. I reluctantly accepted, I really didn't want high gain. Anyway later that day Elite called me and said that they had found a piece of the material I wanted in stock. It was shipped overnight (I paid extra for that, ground would have been free) and I received it the next day. I am happy to say the new material was great and I love my screen. My seller on eBay and Elite both have excellent customer service.

My Ridiculously Inexpensive Dedicated Kick *** Home Theaters!
RIDKAHT <The Original>
RIDKAHT <<The Sequel>>
RIDKAHT <<<Part III>>>
post #738 of 1688 Old 02-20-2009, 05:41 PM

Well called support early this week, tech had me check the fuse (which was AOK) and then said the circuit board was bad and to fill out the RMA form. Did that on Tuesday, status since Wednesday: "Investigating"

If I don't hear anything by midday Monday I'm calling and evaluating just returning it to my retailer if I don't hear any news on the part, when their warranty technically says they should ship a "New in box" screen.

post #739 of 1688 Old 02-23-2009, 08:59 PM

Update:

Called customer service and they shipped the part, should be here Wednesday. Just a note to anyone else, their RMA status / email system does not update with the details in either a timely maner or not at all. When in doubt just call em up.
post #740 of 1688 Old 02-24-2009, 08:39 PM

Okay...

Just installed a 100" ezFrame fixed (R100H)

The frame was well packed and the box arrived unharmed. I ordered through Dell (I get a pretty steep discount, as I do a boatload of business with them). It appears that the frame was drop shipped.

Assembly was rather easy with a few minor problems. Several of the holes in the frame did not line up well with the inserts. It took a lot of persuasion to get some of the screws in place (I would bet 2-3 are actually cross-threaded, but it is hard to tell).

As this was my first screen, I was not prepared for how tight the material had to be pulled! While the plastic clips appear to be doing their job, I have long term concerns about their durability. They will certainly brittle over time. I am not sure if this will be an issue or not. The screen did stretch with no wrinkles though. So far so good...

I used a 10' aluminum straightedge to lineup (3) of the four mounting brackets and screwed them into the wall. I soon found out that the frame is not rigid enough to keep its true shape. The screen balances on the center bracket and can be pivoted back and forth onto the outer brackets. I would guess that the bow is 1/4" to maybe 3/8". I certainly did not expect this. Oddly, I have a good eye such things, almost to the point of it driving me nuts but I don't see the bow when looking at the screen from the seating area. Laying the straightedge (and a 7' level to be sure) on the screen, it is clearly bowed. I am hoping that as time passes it will sag a but under its own weight.

In the same respect, the tension has also wracked the frame slighty and one lower corner is about 1/4" to 3/8" away from the wall. In the week that the screen has been up, it has settled in just a bit, but is still wracked. I will use the spare (4th) bracket to pull this in if it does not settle the rest of the way.

One other small complaint. There was a small divit/scrape in the felt masking on the edge of one of the rails. No big deal and nobody notices, but still a bit bothersome to me.

My conclusion. I have not owned anything else so I have no direct frame of reference. However, for what I paid I am very happy. There is room for improvement in QC with regard to handling (the nick) and the machined hole alignment. As for the slight bowing, I don't see how that can be helped without using a larger extrusion or a different bracket system that would force the screen into shape.
post #741 of 1688 Old 02-25-2009, 12:02 AM

How do I program RF remote to work with my electric screen?
post #742 of 1688 Old 02-26-2009, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedNut View Post

Update:

Called customer service and they shipped the part, should be here Wednesday. Just a note to anyone else, their RMA status / email system does not update with the details in either a timely maner or not at all. When in doubt just call em up.

Same thing happened to my 120 VMAX2 Elite. Bought it on ebay a long while back (ding ding ding... but it was cheap, and sealed new) for a house that I was going to purchase. Got the house months later, got the screen up and "click" - nothing. No sound. Opened it up, no light on the board. Replaced its fuse, still nothing. So, I contacted Elite, and got a new circuit board. Now there's a light on the new circuit board - great!

Click on the remote, and all I hear is "bvvvvvvv" (i.e. the buzz of something working - likely the motor). However, the screen just doesn't come down. I am at a loss as to what the heck could possibly be happening if the buzzing noise is the motor trying to work and bring it down?

Keynina, there is a button on the circuit board to calibrate/re-synch the remote. Do you have the manual? I think it says in there how many seconds you need to hold it and what you need to push on the remote to synch.
post #743 of 1688 Old 03-02-2009, 08:25 AM

I just got my Elite manual screen and installed it in my "theater" room. The bottom of the screen has some wavy sections that are maybe 10-12" at the bottom of the screen.

They are most notable when viewing the screen with just the room lights on but also show up when viewing movies.

Is this normal for a screen to have? Or did I get one that was clamped at the bottom poorly and should be having it replaced?

Thanks!
post #744 of 1688 Old 03-02-2009, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by berrywise View Post

I just got my Elite manual screen and installed it in my "theater" room. The bottom of the screen has some wavy sections that are maybe 10-12" at the bottom of the screen.

They are most notable when viewing the screen with just the room lights on but also show up when viewing movies.

Is this normal for a screen to have? Or did I get one that was clamped at the bottom poorly and should be having it replaced?

Thanks!

I just received and mounted a 120" diagonal manual as well and have the same wrinkles at the bottom of screen too. I also have some minor curling at the screen edges. I've not had the opportunity to wiew material on it yet so I don't know how distracting the wrinkles will be in practice.

My opinion is that this is normal for non-tensioned screens, so unless it is really severe and unacceptable to you, I wouldn't recommend replacement. If you did replace the screen with another Elite, I would think the odds would be decent that you would simply recieve another screen with wrinkles.

Note that this wrinkle effect (at least with non-tensioned screens) are not limited to Elite. I owned a Sharp manual screen a while back with the same problem, and I've read on the HT Depot screen thread that some of their non-tensioned screens suffer the same effect.

As for me, given the price I paid for the screen ($160 shipped), I can't complain too much.

Your comment does raise a logical question though: Does anyone know of techniques for dealing with wrinkles and curling? I've read about solutions involving hair dryers and just leaving the screen down for extended periods, but I don't know how effective these remedies actually are.

Eric
post #745 of 1688 Old 03-08-2009, 01:40 PM

To all the experienced AV enthusiasts on this site - I am faced with an interesting dilema.

My basement is finally reached a stage where I can start choosing a projector (chosen the Optoma HD65) and screen.

I am torn between two screens that I am looking at - the ELECTRIC125H and the ELECTRIC100H from Elite.

Some of you here have had bad experiences with Elite - and I have to take that into consideration as well - but here's the question....

The size of the room (no ambient lighting) is 12'.3" * 16'.6" - with projection on the wall that is 12'.3" in length.

The ELECTRIC100H costs 229.00 and the ELECTRIC125H costs 305.00 (from pcconnection.com). Cost is not a factor here - what I am more concerned about is that the screen should not look oversized for the room.

To me with the measurements available, it looks like the 125H would have a viewable area is approximately 9 Ft" in length and 5 Ft in height......almost stretching from one corner of the room to the other. The viewable area for the 100H is about (7 Ft" in length and 4 Ft in height.

The distance from screen (seating position) would be about 13"

Would the ELECTRIC125H be too huge and oversized for the room?

Are there any other reasonably priced screens out there < $300.00 that will give me at least a 100" diagonal viewing area?

And finally how good are focuspix screens from www.htdepot.com

Tks & Regards

Joe Mathew
post #746 of 1688 Old 03-09-2009, 07:08 AM

Easy way to eye it up is to put masking tape on the wall where the projector is based on the dimensions you found and compare the two.

I have the VMAX2120 16:9 on my 13' wall and it works, just enough room for my L + R front speakers to bookend each side of it.

Spend 20 minutes and $2 of tape and try both of them out before settling on one or the other, it's time well spent.
post #747 of 1688 Old 03-09-2009, 07:29 AM

Thank you for the information. Would you also mind sharing what projector you are using with the VMAX2120?

Tks
post #748 of 1688 Old 03-12-2009, 03:53 AM

Speednut, how was the RMA thing?
post #749 of 1688 Old 03-12-2009, 08:50 AM

RMA was ok after I called to check on the status, the problem is their website doesn't update the RMA status very well if at all.

I put in the new circuit board and everything works. It does look like I'm getting a bit of edge curl on the sides, and I'm not sure if it's because it's not tensioned or what.

Anyone have this, and if so what do do about it? The Mrs. bought it via Costco so I could still just return this and get something else if it's not fixable, just driving a 10' long box down the highway for an hour to the "local" store doesn't sound like a great way to spend my Saturday.
post #750 of 1688 Old 03-14-2009, 10:16 AM

Well, I bit the bullet and went with a 92" fixed EZ frame screen yesterday from Amazon in Matte white.

I will let you know how the quality is once I receive it.
Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Da Lite Screens , Panasonic Et Lae700 Replacement Lamp For Pt Ae700u , Projectors , Elite Screens Inc
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page