Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 1688 Old 05-05-2010, 09:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunsingeruk View Post

I'm getting an Epson hc 8100, and am thinking about getting an elite AcousticPro1080 110''.

It'll be in my living room so, there is ambient light. I have 4 back doors(which will be to the left of the screen) which have shades that block out the light. some light does however escape onto the wall where my screen will be, I think I have a solution for this to redirect the light back.

So I guess my question is will this screen do the job for the projector I'm getting and the setup I've described?

Will you be placing your speakers directly behind the screen is the big question here? If you are placing speakers behind the screen then the AcousticPro may make sense for you. Otherwise I'd go with a standard non acoustically transparent screen which reduces the visible weave of the fabric. I'm still waiting to hear from some others on their experience using that material and if it has bad visible weave or moire issues. On a different site the screen was reviewed and said to not exhibit any visible weave if your not viewing at close distances. Perfectionists may disagree, I don't know. If you do go with a non acoustic screen then going grey or matte white is probably a question best answered by your viewing preferences and if your a day time user with descent light control or a night time only viewer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1688 Old 05-05-2010, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatnate View Post

Will you be placing your speakers directly behind the screen is the big question here? If you are placing speakers behind the screen then the AcousticPro may make sense for you. Otherwise I'd go with a standard non acoustically transparent screen which reduces the visible weave of the fabric. I'm still waiting to hear from some others on their experience using that material and if it has bad visible weave or moire issues. On a different site the screen was reviewed and said to not exhibit any visible weave if your not viewing at close distances. Perfectionists may disagree, I don't know. If you do go with a non acoustic screen then going grey or matte white is probably a question best answered by your viewing preferences and if your a day time user with descent light control or a night time only viewer.

The screen will be covering my fireplace and mantle piece. My center channel speaker will go on my mantle, which I'd expect to be somewhere smack dab in the middle of the screen. My two front speakers are not tall so they will be lower than the screen. The alternative would be to have the center channel speaker really low , which I think would be too low, not to mention I'd have to build a stand for it, and it would look a bit odd.

My couch will be approximately 20' away, and I have heard about the visible weave too, but my hope is that at that distance, it won't be visible.

As far as ambient light, if I were to guess my living room is approximately 65% dark during the day time.

I will use it during the daytime on weekends, and the back of my house(which is where my living room is) faces ne, and have tall pines behind the deck. Point is, theres no direct blast of sunlight when I'm watching it.

The other screen I was looking at is Elites Lunette series, which is a curved screen...does anyone have any info on these? pros and cons of a curved screen, I really don't know anything about them.
post #993 of 1688 Old 05-05-2010, 10:54 AM

Boy do i have some major concerns after reading through these posts.. Not sure if its that for the most part people only post when they feel they've been wronged or if its just that its an over all bad product for the price???
wavy,crumpled at the bottom, curved corners,broken peices, dead on arrivals, etc etc.... Been talking with projectorpeople.com reps and they speak highly of it, but they also mention a 15% restocking fee upon return..... hmmmm ? The only other electric screen within my price range is the Mustang brand from costco. but the reviews on that one arent much better.... lol... Does anybody have anything good to say about there VMAX2 EXPERIENCE??
CFSB
post #994 of 1688 Old 05-05-2010, 11:16 AM

Two things:

chefssaltyballs is maybe the coolest name on the forum I have seen yet.

To hunsingeruk I would say that you probably don't have to go for the curved screen thing unless you want to go scope and run an anamorphic lens to do it. The curve compensates from some of the pincushioning you get when using a lens at a shorter throw. This is the set up I hope to do myself in time. I haven't heard from anyone on the forum who has got their hands on a Lunette yet and would also love to hear from someone who has seen one first hand. If you do go that route love to hear your thoughts on both the frame and the Acousticpro1080 material. If the material is descent enough to use then the Lunette is a crazy cool value for a curved acoustic transparent fixed frame. Way below anything else.
post #995 of 1688 Old 05-05-2010, 11:40 AM

Flatnate, tnx for the advice. I had no idea thats what the curved screens were for.

one rep at a place told me :'' The benefits of a curved screen is that a typical projector will lose some uniformity on the edges of larger screen sizes, so the curve of the screen helps to correct that.''

but if this won't be an issue for a flat screen 110", then I'll just get a flat screen.

btw, an elite rep told me the 16:9 screens won't be available until july/august, i didn't ask about 2.35
post #996 of 1688 Old 05-05-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:

Flatnate, tnx for the advice. I had no idea thats what the curved screens were for.

one rep at a place told me :'' The benefits of a curved screen is that a typical projector will lose some uniformity on the edges of larger screen sizes, so the curve of the screen helps to correct that.''

but if this won't be an issue for a flat screen 110", then I'll just get a flat screen.

btw, an elite rep told me the 16:9 screens won't be available until july/august, i didn't ask about 2.35

Thanks, I had not heard anything from this online seller as far as ship dates. Only one company on the net is selling them now with a simple google search you would find them easily. Who knows when it would actually arrive on your door step.

Not sure why someone would do the curved thing on a 16:9 dimension screen other than maybe going for that IMAX aesthetic. I read somewhere else on here that if you are running curved with no anamorphic lens you sorta introduce some kind of reverse pincushioning and it is not prefect by any means either. I don't know what PJ your running but mine looks awesome in the corners. Maye that was more prevalent in older projectors. Again, I'm not sure.

Good luck, and if you grab that Acousticpro1080 material toss up some pics and thoughts on it and report any weave/moire issues you have, as my planned Lunette would could come with the same stuff.
post #997 of 1688 Old 05-06-2010, 10:32 AM

will do
post #998 of 1688 Old 05-08-2010, 10:04 AM

[quote=Flatnate;18588586]Two things:

chefssaltyballs is maybe the coolest name on the forum I have seen yet. QUOTE]

hahaha thx for the props..... man.... very few actually know what it is and think im just a perv or something....
cfsb
post #999 of 1688 Old 05-08-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:

Huns, are you dealing with elite directly for the purchase of your screen as oppose to a reseller? have you found the prices to be beter/worse/equal? I am looking at an Elite vmax 120" electric but have been going between resellers to get the best price...good/bad idea???
thx
cfsb
post #1000 of 1688 Old 05-10-2010, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefssaltyballs View Post

Boy do i have some major concerns after reading through these posts.. Not sure if its that for the most part people only post when they feel they've been wronged or if its just that its an over all bad product for the price???
wavy,crumpled at the bottom, curved corners,broken peices, dead on arrivals, etc etc.... Been talking with projectorpeople.com reps and they speak highly of it, but they also mention a 15% restocking fee upon return..... hmmmm ? The only other electric screen within my price range is the Mustang brand from costco. but the reviews on that one arent much better.... lol... Does anybody have anything good to say about there VMAX2 EXPERIENCE??
CFSB

anybody have any feedback on this fear of mine :-)
cfsb
post #1001 of 1688 Old 05-10-2010, 11:09 PM

Quote:

anybody have any feedback on this fear of mine :-)
cfsb

ok guys need help... tomorrow or the next day, i will be ordering one of these screens: see links below
is there any benefit to the fiberglass screen made by elite? is it worth an extra 60 bucks to go with fiberglass?
I am running a 1080p optoma hd20 projector.
thx guys
http://www.provantage.com/elite-scre...2~7ELSC06P.htm
or
http://www.provantage.com/elite-scre...o~7ELSC10A.htm
post #1002 of 1688 Old 05-11-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:

ok guys need help... tomorrow or the next day, i will be ordering one of these screens: see links below
is there any benefit to the fiberglass screen made by elite? is it worth an extra 60 bucks to go with fiberglass?
thx guys
elite-screens-m120uwh2~7ELSC06P
or
elite-screens-m120hsr-pro~7ELSC10A

The only thing that you need to be aware of with that particular vendor is their return policy.

Last week I ordered a cinetension 120 - stupid me did not take into account the fact that the case length was 1/2 " longer than the alcove I need to put it in - it won't fit.

I'm going around in circles trying to get them to accept a return so I can get the 110 which will fit.

Their policy on these screens is that it is apparently the manufacturers problem - but the manufacturer is telling me that it is the vendors problem.

I might just have to wind up cutting some drywall
post #1003 of 1688 Old 05-15-2010, 03:35 AM

Quote:

thx guys
or

Either of these should be fine for you. Both 1.1 gain. The main difference other than the housing design and the fiberglass screen backing is that the slightly more expensive one also features "SRM".

"SRM is a special Screen Retract Mechanism which allows the manual screen to be retracted slowly back into the screen's housing without the need to hold on to the handle."

http://www.elitescreens.com/index.ph...mid=15&lang=en
post #1004 of 1688 Old 05-16-2010, 01:32 PM

Hello guys,

I am deciding between cheap ebay matte white (gain - 1.0) screen and elite screens VMAX2 Series (white max gain - 1.1) screen. The feedback of cheap ebay screen is positive, so I don't know is it worth to spend extra money on the elite screen?
post #1005 of 1688 Old 05-17-2010, 01:03 AM

oops wrong thread
post #1006 of 1688 Old 05-17-2010, 10:10 AM

Hello all, I'm considering buying a Kestrel floor-rising screen from Elite. Does anyone have any experience with these? Since the screen has fiberglass backed material, I was thinking of going with the non-tensioned version.

I'd use this mostly at night with my Sanyo Z2000 -- thinking of the 100" screen projecting from about 20' away.
post #1007 of 1688 Old 05-17-2010, 10:26 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpaul34 View Post

Hello all, I'm considering buying a Kestrel floor-rising screen from Elite. Does anyone have any experience with these? Since the screen has fiberglass backed material, I was thinking of going with the non-tensioned version.

I'd use this mostly at night with my Sanyo Z2000 -- thinking of the 100" screen projecting from about 20' away.

I'd call one of our guys here at AVS...
http://www.avscience.com/index.php?I...=3&item_id=103

Mike Lang
Administrator
Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Join the AVS Club and help support the site. Help Support AVS Forum Sponsors.
post #1008 of 1688 Old 05-17-2010, 11:46 AM

Thanks for the link. Not exactly encouraging.
post #1009 of 1688 Old 05-17-2010, 05:07 PM

All right, I've moved onto the Cinetension2. Wondering about CineWhite versus PowerGain.

This is for a new house -- an Eichler with lots of floor to ceiling windows -- so I'll be using it mostly at night, but would at times like to use it during the day. The main viewing area will be about 15' away on a couch.

The projector will be mounted about 18'-19' away to accommodate the 92" screen (further back and the screen would have to be bigger).

My projector is a Sanyo Z2000. This is what the website says about PowerGain:

*Manufactuerer's tip: Use a high resolution-low output DLP projector for the best results with this material.

Would the Z2000 qualify for this?
post #1010 of 1688 Old 05-18-2010, 09:59 AM

I called AVScience about the Kestrel, spoke with Chase, and he basically told me to check out Amazon. The call lasted 20 seconds.
post #1011 of 1688 Old 05-20-2010, 12:13 AM

Ok guys i went with the Elite Maxwhite 120" Found it for under $100 bucks and I am very please with the results compared to my 106" graywolf.... Its A BEAUTY...... now its time to build at heater room worthy of such a screen....
CFSB
post #1012 of 1688 Old 05-20-2010, 10:03 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNegative View Post

Quote:

thx guys
or

Either of these should be fine for you. Both 1.1 gain. The main difference other than the housing design and the fiberglass screen backing is that the slightly more expensive one also features "SRM".

"SRM is a special Screen Retract Mechanism which allows the manual screen to be retracted slowly back into the screen's housing without the need to hold on to the handle."

http://www.elitescreens.com/index.ph...mid=15&lang=en

I ordered the M120UWH2 and it was really nice, but sent it back because of a minor defect. It was no longer in stock so I got a refund instead of replacement. Since then I have been thinking of a couple of potential issues with manual pull-downs:

1) someone lets go and it retracts uncontrolled, causing damage
2) my screen was flat, but have read that waves may form over time

Are these legitimate concerns? Input?

For about $35 more than the M120UWH2, I can get the M120HSR-Pro (shopblt.com). The SRM would take care of the risk of someone letting go of the screen. I am wondering if the Fiberglass backing on the screen would help to keep the screen flat over time. Any input on this?

from Elite Screens FAQ:
MaxWhite FG: Matte white textured material with Fiber Glass backing for enhanced rigidity

Anyone used the M120HSR-Pro? What do you think of it?

BTW, best price for M120HSR-Pro:

Bottom Line Telecommunications looks very reputable.
(http://www.shopblt.com/cgi-bin/shop/...er_id=!ORDERID!)
(http://www.resellerratings.com/store...munications_15).
post #1013 of 1688 Old 05-20-2010, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I requested samples from Elite several weeks ago and never got them.....On the contrary both Carada and Da-lite were very expeditious to my sample requests....
post #1014 of 1688 Old 05-23-2010, 10:25 AM

Me too. I've requested two times, 3 months apart with no response.
post #1015 of 1688 Old 05-23-2010, 10:37 AM

I wonder if they can't deliver samples...what kind of product and customer service to expect after purchase.....
post #1016 of 1688 Old 05-23-2010, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

After hearing some of the bad experiences with elite I went with a VMAX2 anyway. Well it arrived last yesterday and spent 2 hours setting it up only to find out it's DOA. None of the remotes do anything.

I bought it from Amazon and I'm wondering if it's just easier dealing with them after reading some of these problems with Elite.

EDIT: Amazon is sending me a replacement overnight. Gotta love 'em
post #1017 of 1688 Old 05-23-2010, 12:17 PM

any thoughts on the M120HSR-Pro ? (5 posts up)
post #1018 of 1688 Old 05-25-2010, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbrooks503 View Post

The only thing that you need to be aware of with that particular vendor is their return policy.

Last week I ordered a cinetension 120 - stupid me did not take into account the fact that the case length was 1/2 " longer than the alcove I need to put it in - it won't fit.

I'm going around in circles trying to get them to accept a return so I can get the 110 which will fit.

Their policy on these screens is that it is apparently the manufacturers problem - but the manufacturer is telling me that it is the vendors problem.

I might just have to wind up cutting some drywall

UPDATE

After a couple of weeks, this vendor got back to me and gave me an RMA - the problem that I then encountered was that the length of the screen was over the 108" max for UPS or Fedex shipment. It was going to cost me an arm and a leg (anywhere from $350-$400) to ship this thing back.

Well I notified the vendor and they issued me a UPS call number, even though it was still 12 inches over the max - the kind UPS Store took it.

Moral of story - get all of the specs on the screen and don't forget that the viewing size is less than the overall size.
post #1019 of 1688 Old 06-02-2010, 07:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Anyone have experience with the acoustic transparent screen from Elite? I have a cinetension2 now and due to various reasons will be looking for a different screen. Can someone offer their review or opinion on the Elite AT screens? It would be electric screen mounted from ceiling, about 13-15' from seating area, dark room and an Epson UB6500 PJ.

Thanks
post #1020 of 1688 Old 06-03-2010, 07:38 PM

Is it posible to buy just the screen material from elite...for example the Power Gain 1.8
Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Da Lite Screens , Panasonic Et Lae700 Replacement Lamp For Pt Ae700u , Projectors , Elite Screens Inc
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page