Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 1687 Old 08-26-2010, 05:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by union1411 View Post

i used the Designer White laminate from Wilson Arts. it has a measured on-axis gain of 1.29, compared to .99 for the CineWhite screen, according to that pdf that is floating around this forum.

the Elite screen will do me ok for a little while (live in an apartment now). but there really is no comparison between the laminate and the Cinewhite. the laminate is so much more punchy and bright. and the perceived conterast is much higher. the Cinewhite looks more dull and dim in comparison.

again though, i have no regrets with the Elite screen. i knew i was going to get less gain and that's ok because i didn't want to deal with the hassle of another DYI build at the moment.

I am happy I did not got the cinewhite, then.....The 1.8HG works very good with good material and resulted in an improvement when watching not so good material...This is my first screen and PJ, so I don't have much reference to compare with....Thks....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 1687 Old 08-26-2010, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
A unity gain screen, in a darkened room, with a properly calibrated PJ, in a size and PJ throw to deliver reference brightness levels, should yield the best image possible. Why someone would prefer a piece of laminate is questionable, but to each their own I guess.
post #1083 of 1687 Old 08-27-2010, 11:52 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DvST8 View Post

My replacement screen came in last Friday, I finally got to put it up just now (work, no time). It's white!
There was a 8in1 remote (ZR800D) in the box too the grey one didn't come with one.
UPS is coming soon to pickup the old one.

Here are some pictures so you can see the difference.

Looks like I just have bad luck.
The new one when screen is up the left side is about 1/4 of an inch lower then the right side and when the screen goes up and down there's waves across the screen.
The original one was even and went up\\down without any waves on the screen.

I adjusted the zoom on the PJ to make up for the screen not being even, but I'm worried about the waves every time it goes up and down causing wrinkles on the screen.
I contacted Elite and they said to leave the screen down for a few days and the weight should fix both issues.
I'm going to try this starting Monday (to many people over on the weekends to leave it down).
I'll update after a few days in case this happens to anyone else so they know what to do.
post #1084 of 1687 Old 08-28-2010, 07:38 PM

Well, you have waves, and I just got my Cinetension2 120" with a PIMPLE about 8 inches from the bottom, right in the middle of the screen.

Is there a way to solve this? It is brand new but no returns.

J
post #1085 of 1687 Old 08-31-2010, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Hey guys, where are you ordering your Elite screens from? Are they shipped directly from Elite or from a distributor?

I am about to pull the trigger on 115" diag 2.35 Cinetension2.
post #1086 of 1687 Old 08-31-2010, 02:20 PM

I am going to be buying mine from Amazon. You should check at buy.com as well. they have great deals on certain Elite screens.

JVC RS15
120" Elite Sable Screen
Onkyo NR-808 Receiver
Aperion 6C Center Channel, 4T Towers, 5DB Surrounds, and Bravus 10 sub
post #1087 of 1687 Old 08-31-2010, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mreggena View Post

I am going to be buying mine from Amazon. You should check at buy.com as well. they have great deals on certain Elite screens.

As always, check both the price and the shipping cost. Some of the Amzaon featured merchants charge $70 or more for shipping which makes the overall package no bargain.
post #1088 of 1687 Old 08-31-2010, 02:43 PM

oh of course! I am an expert on online shopping! Free Shipping from Amazon plus a cheaper price cant be beat.

JVC RS15
120" Elite Sable Screen
Onkyo NR-808 Receiver
post #1089 of 1687 Old 08-31-2010, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

Amazon.com would be my #1 choice, but they don't sell 2.35 screens. It's either b&h or projectorzone.com.

Any experiences with projectorzone?
post #1090 of 1687 Old 08-31-2010, 02:54 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 292

Mike Lang
Administrator
Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Join the AVS Club and help support the site. Help Support AVS Forum Sponsors.
post #1091 of 1687 Old 09-08-2010, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Need advice on what screen to purchase for my current setup.

Seating area will be anywhere from 12-20 feet from screen.
9 ft ceilings.

Projector will be ceiling mounted wherever the distance is neccesary for screen size.

I have a HUGE Elite Screen right now, diagonal of 180ish inches. I need to downsize but upsize quality.

Was thinking around 120-130 inch diagonal....

Help???
post #1092 of 1687 Old 09-08-2010, 01:09 PM

Liked: 14
what are your room dimensions?
post #1093 of 1687 Old 09-08-2010, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lang View Post

Thanks for the tip. Called them and got better deal than advertised anywhere else.
post #1094 of 1687 Old 09-08-2010, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandPixel View Post

what are your room dimensions?

Sorry, forgot to include that. The room is 13.5 x 30 ft, but the seating area will be in the 12-18 ft distance from the screen. I have 9 ft ceilings.

The back of the room includes a closet, wetbar, bathroom.

I also wondered about fixed screens vs. motorized. Just starting the family out, have a 16 month old and 1 on the way. (don't want expensive screen to be ripped, poked, etc). I'm thinking a SmX screen is out of question.
post #1095 of 1687 Old 09-10-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:

Looks like I just have bad luck.
The new one when screen is up the left side is about 1/4 of an inch lower then the right side and when the screen goes up and down there's waves across the screen.
The original one was even and went up\\down without any waves on the screen.

I adjusted the zoom on the PJ to make up for the screen not being even, but I'm worried about the waves every time it goes up and down causing wrinkles on the screen.
I contacted Elite and they said to leave the screen down for a few days and the weight should fix both issues.
I'm going to try this starting Monday (to many people over on the weekends to leave it down).
I'll update after a few days in case this happens to anyone else so they know what to do.

Leaving it down for a few days didn't help.
ES is now sending me some replacement parts that I should install.
post #1096 of 1687 Old 09-10-2010, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
haso anyone recently purchase a home2 screen? I hve heard good things and bad things about them. Nice picture with e fiberglass backing, but come all wrinkled and looking like crap. I love the price though so i am wondering if it is worth the risk...
post #1097 of 1687 Old 09-13-2010, 02:03 PM

I recently installed an 84" Elite fixed screen. The EZFrame. Due to the limitation of my room I have to mount the screen using only 2 of the mounting wall plates (Elite suggests 4). The 2 that I'm using are in the upper left and upper right corner, all the way in the corner. So the screen is hanging from it's corners. The frame has been up for 2 months now with no visible problems. Will I encounter any long term problems from hanging it this way? Like maybe the aluminum frame will start to sag slightly.
post #1098 of 1687 Old 09-14-2010, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post

I recently installed an 84" Elite fixed screen. The EZFrame. Due to the limitation of my room I have to mount the screen using only 2 of the mounting wall plates (Elite suggests 4). The 2 that I'm using are in the upper left and upper right corner, all the way in the corner. So the screen is hanging from it's corners. The frame has been up for 2 months now with no visible problems. Will I encounter any long term problems from hanging it this way? Like maybe the aluminum frame will start to sag slightly.

Interesting. My 120" fixed frame only came with 2 mounting plates. I also mounted at the corners, and it seems to be doing fine. 84" should be a piece of cake.
post #1099 of 1687 Old 09-18-2010, 09:10 AM

I just put together a new 120" Elite CineWhite EZ-Frame fixed-frame screen (R120WH1). Once I got it together I noticed several wrinkles on the left 3"-4" of the screen. It looks like the wrinkles may be from being either improperly packaged, or from being boxed up for a long period of time (or both.) The screen is properly tensioned (see pics.)

I saw a post earlier where someone recommended applying heat with a blow-dryer to try and smooth-out/remove the wrinkles. Does anyone have any experience with this or know if it will indeed work? I've attached pics. From the front, my iPhone doesn't capture too much detail, but the pic from the back clearly shows the wrinkles. I'm assumming if I can see them with the naked eye from the front, that they will be clearly visible with a picture projected onto it.

Any insight into this would be appreciated.
LL
LL
post #1100 of 1687 Old 09-20-2010, 09:16 AM

Has anyone purchased a VMAX2 screen? I am thinking about getting one or just sticking with a fixed frame. havent decided yet.

JVC RS15
120" Elite Sable Screen
Onkyo NR-808 Receiver
post #1101 of 1687 Old 09-20-2010, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Any Starbright 7 screen owners here? I'd like feedback.

Have you compared to other high gain screen material?

How does it compare to the Dalite High Power material?

Does it work well for a table mount projector?
post #1102 of 1687 Old 10-06-2010, 07:09 AM

Quote:

Leaving it down for a few days didn't help.
ES is now sending me some replacement parts that I should install.

The replacement parts didn't help, they are sending another screen.
UPS only pickups the old screen M-F / 9-5 so you are forced to stay home and loose a day of work, ugh.
post #1103 of 1687 Old 10-13-2010, 12:38 PM

3 days a go I bought a VMAX2 100" screen.
Today after installation I just noticed cracking sound coming from the screen!!!!!
Brand new screen, never used!!! What a dissapointment
Here you can see a link to the video on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCIwMu-G_XY
post #1104 of 1687 Old 11-01-2010, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Has anyone comment on the following screens: Elite Home 2 vs. Elite CineTension 2 Screen. Pros/Cons.
post #1105 of 1687 Old 11-01-2010, 06:00 PM

I found these instructions to be the best I've found, except (no fault of the poster I'm sure, I'm sure his screen's yellow screw adjusted the drop height),

on my screen the YELLOW screw adjusted the top stop, and the WHITE screw adjusted the bottom drop position. Go figure why Elite would be so inconsistent with color coding. I can only recommend that instead of going by color, go by position (the screw closer to the front of the screen adjusts the bottom drop). At least on mine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixion View Post

I posted this review on Amazon, folks here might find it useful:

Vertical Drop Adjustment:
The first time you lower the screen, it will go all the way down to its lowest level by default (at least mine did). I needed to raise it by 3 inches so that it stopped just above our media cabinet. The instructions to do this are on the website here:
http://www.elitescreens.com/index.ph...mid=19&lang=en

The instructions are not very clear. You can only fine tune the adjustment on the way down, which means you must first bring the limit up and then adjust it down. Here's my version, if you want to raise the limit of where the screen stops on the way down...

1) First, don't mess with the grey screw, this adjusts the UP limit and you shouldn't have to touch this.
2) To adjust the DOWN limit, you want to adjust the yellow screw ONLY.
3) Put the screen down.
4) DO NOT turn the yellow screw counter-clockwise at this point as this will cause the screen to fully come down and possibly drop out of the box
5) With the screen down, measure approximately how many inches you want to raise the lower limit.
6) Raise the screen up (fully retracted)
7) Turn the yellow screw clockwise one full turn per inch that you measured, and add an extra turn or two.
8) Put the screen down, it should now have stopped at a higher point than before.
9) With the screen down, turn the yellow screw counter-clockwise. For each small turn, the screen will immediately drop a little bit. Keep turning the screw slowly until you are satisfied with the position. Done.

post #1106 of 1687 Old 11-02-2010, 06:59 AM

Quote:

The replacement parts didn't help, they are sending another screen.
UPS only pickups the old screen M-F / 9-5 so you are forced to stay home and loose a day of work, ugh.

Finally got the third replacement, this one is good finally.
post #1107 of 1687 Old 11-02-2010, 07:30 AM

Quote:

Finally got the third replacement, this one is good finally.

Hope it stays that way.

Excess Energy in everything
XSNRG Rec/Theater Build
post #1108 of 1687 Old 11-30-2010, 10:42 AM

Liked: 12
Several years ago I purchased a M150UWH Elite screen (1.1 gain, matte white). Over the few years, it has developed waves starting on the right top corner that go to the bottom middle, and the same for the left side. Does anyone else have this problem? Is there any way to get rid of the waves instead of buying a new one (although the screen is only about 280.00 on Amazon which is inexpensive for a 150" screen, I just can't afford the Cinetension).

I am purchasing a JVC RS-50 3D projector this week and am wondering if those waves are going to affect the 3D. Right now I only see the waves very slightly on a regular picture (non-3d) during very white scenes. These are not the same as Medicineman (see photos post 1099), mine are 3 or 4 waves in the screen where it is not completely flat in those areas. They come all the way down from each corner on the top to the middle of the screen at the bottom.

Can I do something to correct this?
post #1109 of 1687 Old 12-03-2010, 07:38 PM
Advanced Member

How is Elite Electric screen compare to Focupix Electric screen?
post #1110 of 1687 Old 12-07-2010, 04:29 AM

I have a HOME2 120" screen I would like to use my amps trigger to drop the screen. I used a 1/8" mono jack and conected it to the CAT5 cable that goes into the screen. When the amp turns on the screen drops, once fully deployed its starts to rise 30sec or so latter.

If I unplug the trigger on the amp and plug it into the other trigger port the screen begins to retract once agin but only for a short time as well (or if the power is cycled the amp)

Is this a problem with the screen? I am thinking its the amp (Yamaha rx-a1000)?
Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Da Lite Screens , Panasonic Et Lae700 Replacement Lamp For Pt Ae700u , Projectors , Elite Screens Inc
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page