The official Elite screen thread. - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1765 Old 05-08-2006, 05:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Maybe I am not understaning you, but the lower bar is 80" wide, what is the distance between the colums?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1765 Old 05-09-2006, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

I was thinking your screen was 92" diagonal in 16:9 format. So that would put the visable part of the screen at 45x80. I was thinking you'd add two inches in the middle to the side of that for black around the screen and then the bar would need to extend out beyond that another 3-4 inches so I was thinking the total width for the tension bar across the bottom would be around 90" wide or so.

I didn't understand how your viewing surface on the screen could be 80" wide and the bottom bar also be 80" those dimensions wouldn't allow for any tensioning to be applied.

I have 92" between my columns so the screen would need to fit between the columns.

All men are animals, some of us just make better pets.

Moose Drool Moovie Theater
post #93 of 1765 Old 05-09-2006, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalypsoCowboy View Post

I was thinking your screen was 92" diagonal in 16:9 format. So that would put the visable part of the screen at 45x80. I was thinking you'd add two inches in the middle to the side of that for black around the screen and then the bar would need to extend out beyond that another 3-4 inches so I was thinking the total width for the tension bar across the bottom would be around 90" wide or so.

I didn't understand how your viewing surface on the screen could be 80" wide and the bottom bar also be 80" those dimensions wouldn't allow for any tensioning to be applied.

I have 92" between my columns so the screen would need to fit between the columns.

Now I understand what you are asking, sorry. The screen actual size is 65x84, which gives you the viewing angle of 45x80. This size will fit between 92 with 1/2" on each side. I would utilize a laser level with an electric ft. reader, so you the the most reliable measurement. I mounted mine in a 10ft area in the middle.

DeMarco
post #94 of 1765 Old 05-10-2006, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

Great, thats the information I was looking for.

All men are animals, some of us just make better pets.

Moose Drool Moovie Theater
post #95 of 1765 Old 05-11-2006, 10:54 AM

I recently purchased the EZ Frame R100H screen from Elite. While I love the frame, I have found the screen material to be too dark for my home theater room (like many in this forum). I have contacted Elite about a matte white replacement and am waiting for someone from their sales department to call me back. For those that have replaced their screen, how easy did you find the process? Did Elite charge you for the replacement? I was hoping for an exchange but the one person I spoke to indicated I would probably have to purchase any new screen material.

My projector is a Panasonic PT-AE900U. Another alternative to replacing the screen material would be adjusting the factory settings on the projector - but turning up the brightness just washes out the picture. Does anyone have any recommendations on this front?

Thanks!
post #96 of 1765 Old 06-22-2006, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Theater is it View Post

I have the 92 Elite Gray tab-tension screen and the power cord is behind the drywall. It connects into a box that has an ir port, the first cable is about 5.5ft and the second is just over 6ft. I use the rf control and have had no problems yet, but I have only had it up a month.

DeMarco

So what's the deal with the tab tensioned electric screens from elite? You can get a 100" screen from them for about $700.00. Are they total junk?

http://www.htmarket.com/tehc.html

Every other electric tab-tensioned screen is well over $1,000?

Also, are waves virtually eliminated with ALL tab tensioned screens?

Are waves worse with pull down than electric (non -tab tensioned screens)?
post #97 of 1765 Old 06-22-2006, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caesar1 View Post

So what's the deal with the tab tensioned electric screens from elite? You can get a 100" screen from them for about $700.00. Are they total junk?

http://www.htmarket.com/tehc.html

No, I actually enjoy it very much. I think know that many companies are in the HT market, you are now seeing some very good quality screens. The latest issue from Electronic House evens gives Elite a good review. You no longer have to just rely on Draper, Stewart, and Da-Lite, since they are a little pricy and you are paying for the name just like anything else you buy. What type of projector are you going to utilize and how far back, I don't think you will be disapointed, I haven't been.
post #98 of 1765 Old 06-23-2006, 03:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No, I actually enjoy it very much. I think know that many companies are in the HT market, you are now seeing some very good quality screens. The latest issue from Electronic House evens gives Elite a good review. You no longer have to just rely on Draper, Stewart, and Da-Lite, since they are a little pricy and you are paying for the name just like anything else you buy. What type of projector are you going to utilize and how far back, I don't think you will be disapointed, I haven't been.

I'm looking at the Optoma H72. It will be ceiling mounted at whatever distance is required for a 106 inch screen. Seating will be at about 11 feet.

My concern is that I thought I read that Saaria and Elite are really the same chinese company -- and Saaria has not had the best reviews.
post #99 of 1765 Old 06-23-2006, 06:39 AM

That may be true that they are both the same company, I sure if you do enough research you will find some connection. Again, I like my screen and have had no problems with the operation and quality so far. But as you know with anything can happen. Elite just offers you an affordable screen with out breaking the bank. Check out www.vmaxscreen.com
post #100 of 1765 Old 06-23-2006, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That may be true that they are both the same company, I sure if you do enough research you will find some connection. Again, I like my screen and have had no problems with the operation and quality so far. But as you know with anything can happen. Elite just offers you an affordable screen with out breaking the bank. Check out www.vmaxscreen.com

Well I see now that Elite is really Wuxi Cinon (a mainland china manufacturer) -- so perhaps it markets its screen under different U.S. companies.

http://fan1029.en.ec21.com/company_info.html

http://www.alibaba.com/company/10001302.html

Here is the website of the company that actually makes the screens (but I can't read anything):

http://www.cinon.com/

I guess that's why they are so much cheaper -- everything made in China is cheaper these days.
post #101 of 1765 Old 06-23-2006, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

Elite is releasing a new version of the Cinitension screens. The new model numbers will have an 01 on the end. The first batch are supposed to be in yet this month. They are going to have an upgraded case (same as the Home line) and the fabric choices have expanded. The high contrast gray screen material is a lighter color than before and they are adding a 12v trigger. I was told however that the batch coming in this month won't have the 12 v trigger.

When I receive mine I will post some comments.

Regards,

Dennis
post #102 of 1765 Old 06-23-2006, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djarchow View Post

Elite is releasing a new version of the Cinitension screens. The new model numbers will have an 01 on the end. The first batch are supposed to be in yet this month. They are going to have an upgraded case (same as the Home line) and the fabric choices have expanded. The high contrast gray screen material is a lighter color than before and they are adding a 12v trigger. I was told however that the batch coming in this month won't have the 12 v trigger.

When I receive mine I will post some comments.

Regards,

Dennis

Thanks for the info -- by the way, how did you get the info?

Also, will the pricing be staying the same or going up with the new cine tension screens?
post #103 of 1765 Old 06-23-2006, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Am I reading this right in that the Elite Cine Tension is not "tab tensioned":

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache...s&ct=clnk&cd=1

It appears that tension is only vertically, not horizontally. I understand that true "tab tension" has tension both ways, not just one.

So I'm wondering if this will eliminate waves or not?
post #104 of 1765 Old 06-23-2006, 11:36 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the info -- by the way, how did you get the info?

Also, will the pricing be staying the same or going up with the new cine tension screens?

I had ordered one as a package with my Optoma HD72. I had some questions about the screen material and emailed Elite and they gave me the information. The press release is also posted on their website.

As for the price, I don't know. I had to pay an additional $50 to get the high contrast grey as the package price I got was for the high gain material and the old version. So I don't know if the price difference was because of the new version, the change in the material, or something else.

Regards,

Dennis
post #105 of 1765 Old 06-23-2006, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djarchow View Post

I had ordered one as a package with my Optoma HD72. I had some questions about the screen material and emailed Elite and they gave me the information. The press release is also posted on their website.

As for the price, I don't know. I had to pay an additional $50 to get the high contrast grey as the package price I got was for the high gain material and the old version. So I don't know if the price difference was because of the new version, the change in the material, or something else.

Regards,

Dennis

Let us know if it is truly "tab tensioned" -- as I think it is only vertically (not horizontally) tensioned. Which helps with curling on edges, but not sure if it stops waves 100%.
post #106 of 1765 Old 06-23-2006, 12:34 PM

Quote:

Am I reading this right in that the Elite Cine Tension is not "tab tensioned":

It appears that tension is only vertically, not horizontally. I understand that true "tab tension" has tension both ways, not just one.

So I'm wondering if this will eliminate waves or not?

If you look at the pictures, the elastic curves out at the top and bottom of the screen which applies horizontal tension to the screen. This is how the tensioned screens from other companies work as well.

Regards,

Dennis
post #107 of 1765 Old 06-29-2006, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiowagrad View Post

I recently purchased the EZ Frame R100H screen from Elite. While I love the frame, I have found the screen material to be too dark for my home theater room (like many in this forum). I have contacted Elite about a matte white replacement and am waiting for someone from their sales department to call me back. For those that have replaced their screen, how easy did you find the process? Did Elite charge you for the replacement? I was hoping for an exchange but the one person I spoke to indicated I would probably have to purchase any new screen material.

My projector is a Panasonic PT-AE900U. Another alternative to replacing the screen material would be adjusting the factory settings on the projector - but turning up the brightness just washes out the picture. Does anyone have any recommendations on this front?

Thanks!

I use the Easy frame R106H with the panny AE900U. My theater room has dark walls with a light ceiling and some ambient light enters the room in the day time. The retailer I purchased the projector from as well Elite suggested the high contrast grey screen and I have been extremely happy with it. I tuned the projector using the Avia disk and I have the brightness turned way down and the images are spectacular, even in the day time. The blacks are dark and rich. I did have problems with my original screen material (discussed by other members earlier in this forum) and Elite replaced it with the new material with the black backing and like I said the image is spectacular!
post #108 of 1765 Old 07-07-2006, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Anyone else purchased the Elite Cinetension screen? I'm interested in the 92" Matte White screen and I'd like to hear any reports about it.
post #109 of 1765 Old 07-26-2006, 07:46 PM

I received my new Cinetension screen last week and have been trying unsuccessfully to get my URC/HTM MX-700 (or any learning remote for that matter) to learn the elite IR codes. The supplied remote works fine but I want to tie the screen raise and lower commands in with my other macros.

I found a pronto .ccf file for Elite screens over at remote central but these codes didn't work. Also one of the members there emailed me his codes for an elite screen from an mx-850 but these didn't work either.

So I was hoping someone here might have managed to get their learning remote to learn the Cinetension codes and could share some tips, or the actual codes if possible.

Thanks for any help,

Kind regards,

Dennis
post #110 of 1765 Old 08-01-2006, 02:39 PM

Elite Screens now has CinemaScope (2.35:1) aspect ratio screens in their fixed EZFrame series. They ship in October.

Size MSRP

96" $899
103" $1199
115" $1399
125" $1499
138" $1699

Eric
post #111 of 1765 Old 08-01-2006, 06:31 PM

Anyone know anything about the HDTV 16X9 Tripod Screens? I might have to go with a portable 106" or 120" screen, and if I do, I would like to purchase the Elite Tripod Series, providing they are a decent product.
post #112 of 1765 Old 08-07-2006, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcoach2u View Post

Anyone know anything about the HDTV 16X9 Tripod Screens? I might have to go with a portable 106" or 120" screen, and if I do, I would like to purchase the Elite Tripod Series, providing they are a decent product.

Elite actually makes tripod and floor pull up screens. I have one of the floor pull up models for travelling presentations and they beat the tripod on all fronts except price and the fact that the tripod does have a few inches of a height advantage. Other than that, the floor pull ups are lighter, less cumbersome and alot easier to set up. Maybe I am a little bit of a clutz but I have never found an easy and graceful way to set up a tripod screen. My F100XWV1 is compact enough to be stashed in my hall closet but totally dominates the room once I set it up. An elite rep once described my screen as something that can be set up with about the same speed as opening an umbrella and they are right. It has a mechanism that allows me to set it down, open the lid and pull up the screen. That is it. It stays all by itself. I have gotten alot of compliments on it and I am pretty pleased with it myself. Pretty good stuff.

-Dave
post #113 of 1765 Old 08-08-2006, 09:18 PM

Just wondering how long have you had that pull-up screen, have you noticed any problems with it like waves or anything else that some other people in this forum have mentioned? I am pretty much in the same boat as the above poster, looking for a 120in tripod or pull-up
post #114 of 1765 Old 08-13-2006, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

My CineTension High Contrast Gray screen has arrived!! But I'm a little puzzled by the hardware which came with it. The aluminum bolts with both ends threaded can accept a round nut or a hex hd nut. My question is which nut goes to the screen and which to the hanger. Both fit either so I'm confused but I suspect it doesn't matter! BTW, the screen is heavy!!
post #115 of 1765 Old 08-15-2006, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FremontRich View Post

My CineTension High Contrast Gray screen has arrived!! But I'm a little puzzled by the hardware which came with it. The aluminum bolts with both ends threaded can accept a round nut or a hex hd nut. My question is which nut goes to the screen and which to the hanger. Both fit either so I'm confused but I suspect it doesn't matter! BTW, the screen is heavy!!

Hi FremontRich,
Doesn't matter which nut goes to which. Also, I agree. The screen was much heavier than I anticipated as well. I ended up putting the L brackets on studs and used much heavier duty wood screws than were supplied. I had little confidence in using drywall anchors to hold this thing up. I had visions of it eventually toppling and taking large chunks of my drywall with it.
post #116 of 1765 Old 08-15-2006, 07:08 PM

Hi, guys. This might be my first post here (I don't recall) although I've been a member for a suprisingly long time. I just had a question/comment: I recently decided to try an Elite screen in the 84" size and was very disappointed. There are several discolorations/scuffs/smudges on it and I see banding and artifacts that aren't there with the picture projected onto other surfaces. My notion was to save a few bucks over the Da-Lite's I've used in the past, but now I'm feeling 'penny-wise-but-pound-foolish.'

My screen also came with very minimal instructions and seems to be fairly flimsy compared to some other brands. The color seems a bit 'off', too. If anyone else here has an Elite screen, can you tell me whether I just got a bum one or if this is typical?
post #117 of 1765 Old 08-15-2006, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Babcock View Post

Hi, guys. This might be my first post here (I don't recall) although I've been a member for a suprisingly long time. I just had a question/comment: I recently decided to try an Elite screen in the 84" size and was very disappointed. There are several discolorations/scuffs/smudges on it and I see banding and artifacts that aren't there with the picture projected onto other surfaces. My notion was to save a few bucks over the Da-Lite's I've used in the past, but now I'm feeling 'penny-wise-but-pound-foolish.'

My screen also came with very minimal instructions and seems to be fairly flimsy compared to some other brands. The color seems a bit 'off', too. If anyone else here has an Elite screen, can you tell me whether I just got a bum one or if this is typical?

What type of Elite Screen did you get, how was it shipped, wall mount, motorized, tri-pod? Call and send it back for a replacement, I have a motorized t-t screen and love it with no problems. As for the instructions, simple and straight forward.
post #118 of 1765 Old 08-15-2006, 08:13 PM

The literature accompanying the screen didn't mention the material at all, nor did the advertising. It wasn't til later that I realized they even made more than one type. By now it's too late to return it, but I'm not really complaining- it was an inexpensive pulldown type with a black case. I'll probably razor it out of the enclosure and build a frame to smooth it out, just to see how well it works.

I'm glad that my screen was atypical. Did you find yours to be of heavier material? I imagine if you had a frame to keep it taut the thickness is irrelevant, but my pull down model is too thin and light to hang properly in my install.

Of greater concern, IMOHO, is that whatever the material is doesn't have very good texture or color. I wonder what the gain is- it seems to have a more noticable hotspot than I'd have expected.
post #119 of 1765 Old 10-24-2006, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FremontRich View Post

Hety fremont rich, how is your screen no post in a while are you watching it 24/7 pleas let us know your review thanks
post #120 of 1765 Old 11-04-2006, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well - I received my Elite Cinetension 100" HCGrey screen...and boy nobody is kidding this thing is pretty heavy and you will certainly need two to put it up..As far as the instructions goes..I give ELITE and huge F-grade, it a waste of time of even looking at it..thanks to Jason for reviewing this screen, all you have to do is look at his review and the mounting makes alot of sense...I had trouble trying to figure out how to drop for an ALMOST maximum 16" top drop, because by default they have it set to 6"..I quick call to Elite and it was resolve..All you have to do, is look at the front of the screen on the left side, where the motor is at, look underneath where the screen is at and you will see two yellow 5/32 (I think) Hex adjustment screws, there is one that is easy to get to and then there is one that is NOT easy to get to - the hard one is the one you need to adjust (dont touch the easy one - shame on ELITE on this), never the less, all you need to do is grab a small Allen wrench (smaller than the hole) and if you dial Clockwise a full turn (very easy - just you will have to hold the screen back with your other hand), with the screen up, a full turn or so of the adjustment screw will give you an extra 1/2 drop (well kinda), you will need to bring down the screen up and down everytime to see where you are at, I kinda cheated and did more than one turn a couple of times (not the wisest thing but I was okay), but nothing crazy, and I got where I needed to..btw...be aware that going up and down with the screen continuoulsy, the screen motor will shut down on you temporarily so that it does not over heat (protection built in), I freaked out and called Elite as I was talking to the tech, he explained it to me, and the screen went up..

The motor is not probably the quietest ( I heard a Stewart that sounded the same to me), but seriously, I dont really care, what I care for is a tight looking tab tenstion motorized screen - no waves - and boy this looks like AWESOME...the one thing that does bother me - is that the bottom of the screen the bar is heavy metal, the 4" (or so) casing is metal - so when it rolls back up - and you hear the CLANK of metal touching each other, Id wish they would have made the casing of some heavy duty plastic instead of metal for this reason alone, but the work around this is to bring your screen up and stop right before it gets ALL THE WAY in...

So - how does it look - INCREDIBLE - I know Jason here at AVS reviewed it and mentioned that it was one of the darket grey screens he has seen - but that didnt seem to be the case for me - actually to me it seem much light that what I have seen..No hotspotting - no drop in picture quality, up, down, left, right...I am completely amazed by it..I will NEVER get a pulldown non-tension screen - I just cant stand waves...

I currently have it mated with a new Mits3000U - I just think for my situation - not complete light control but I do only view at night - it works beyond expectations- and for the price that AVS (thanks JASON) gave to me - I will seriously tell anyone who is on a budget or even not on a budget - give it a try - I do not think that for the price difference between this and even the entry level Da-Lite electric screens - it can be beat...

Rich L

Go Chicago Bears

Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Da Lite Screens , Panasonic Et Lae700 Replacement Lamp For Pt Ae700u , Projectors , Elite Screens Inc
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page