Forum Jump: 

post #1171 of 1688 Old 04-05-2011, 08:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psolar View Post
When I get home tonight, I will compare those pictures to exactly what I see and tell you exactly where they are in comparison to those images. When you do find them, there is no issue of getting an alan wrench to turn them.
Thanks Psolar, I really appreciate it. If you need more detailed or angled pics from me, just let me know. I'll unmount the thing again if I have to. I'm willing to do anything at this point.

Just hoping when I do find them I don't smack myself in the head and wonder how I missed them in the first place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1688 Old 04-06-2011, 07:56 AM

Actually, never mind now. I got it squared away.

I've got a buddy who's really good and disassembling electronics and the like. He came over last night and we ended up taking apart the whole left side where the screen motor is (at the risk of voiding the warranty).

Apparently whoever assembled this particular screen did a really shoddy job. There should have been 2 screws holding the roll in place, but some kind of cheap adhesive was used instead. So sometime during transport, the roll must have slipped and turned so the vertical limit switches faced directly up, facing the dark side of the housing.

Luckily my buddy had a whole collection of random parts so we found the machine-type screws we needed. He drilled out the rubber part (that was glued) and put a fresh set of screws in there to hold it in place. We put it back together (with the limit switches now facing down) and re-mounted it.

Adjusted the switches as necessary and now it works great.

So they were there, just not facing the direction they needed to be. Were it not for my friend's savviness I would definitely have had to return this thing, or go 20 miles up the road to Elite's HQ and demand they give me another one.

Hopefully now I can start trying this thing out. Still have to go purchase a new receiver so I can start using this thing properly.
post #1173 of 1688 Old 04-06-2011, 08:14 AM

Your friend should send Elite a bill.
post #1174 of 1688 Old 04-06-2011, 04:25 PM

Just received my 106" elite manual screen.....106uch is the model number....I just installed it and it looks great, no waves.....I haven't been able to turn my projector on yet....I'm curious to see how it compares to my wilsonart designer white screen
post #1175 of 1688 Old 05-05-2011, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I have an opportunity to get a Free Elite screen and universal projector mount from a promotion on a Viewsonic Projector. However, I do need to pay the shipping cost, which seems pretty high to me, so its not entirely free. I can get a 100" manual screen for about $75, if I want the mount too, it brings the shipping cost up to $105. Up until now, I have been using a DIY Blackout Cloth screen and its been good enough so far, but im am looking to upgrade. I am planing to eventually install a DIY Acoustically transparent screen. So the question is..... For $75 to a $100 is it worth it to get one of these Elite screens to use in the interim until i can get my AT screen? or would I be better of saving my money for the one i really want even if it is a year or two off.
post #1176 of 1688 Old 05-18-2011, 09:53 PM

Quote:

I bought a TE84HW2 brand new off of eBay and the outside of the box said TE84HW2 but opening it revealed TE84HC2 on the unit itself. The material looks pretty white but this is my first Elite screen so I would have no idea which one it really is. My projector is 2000 lumens so I guess it doesn't matter either way. I live 20 minutes from their HQ in Cerritos, CA so I guess if I was really picky I could always try that option.

I guess I should report that I finally got my screen replaced today. After a few weeks of test runs, I decided that the grey material was too dark, so I got an RMA number, boxed everything back up and went straight to their HQ in Cerritos, CA to do a will-call exchange. I even had the guy cut open the box of the replacement so I could check the label and make sure it was the correct model this time (which it was).

So now I'm the owner of the TE84HW2 like I should have been to begin with! I did have to re-do the vertical limit switches (the version number of this screen was v2.0 and the limit switches [yellow=up,grey=down] were still reversed compared to the instructions on their site.) I played through a few stages of Portal 2, and I can tell that the picture is definitely a bit brighter compared to what I was seeing before. Great stuff...
post #1177 of 1688 Old 06-08-2011, 02:19 PM

How did your set up turn out on the Epson and the Elite Screen? I want to go wiht a 150" screen and the same projector.

Go Gamecocks!
post #1178 of 1688 Old 06-26-2011, 06:46 AM

Hi,

I just got a VMAX 120UWH2 Screen. It drops too far down. I've been reading about a Vertical Limit adjustment and I've searched everywhere and can't seen to find how to adjust it. I looked on the motor side in the slot and see 2 alen screws which seem to hold a clamp. There is nothing else I can see.

I'm using a Harmony 900 Remote to control it and it works great. I thought maybe the remote would control the vertical limit?

Not sure, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rick
post #1179 of 1688 Old 06-26-2011, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickinflorida View Post

Hi,

I just got a VMAX 120UWH2 Screen. It drops too far down. I've been reading about a Vertical Limit adjustment and I've searched everywhere and can't seen to find how to adjust it. I looked on the motor side in the slot and see 2 alen screws which seem to hold a clamp. There is nothing else I can see.

I had the same difficulty locating the switches when I got mine. They are always on the motor side. One is yellow and one is white.

It's possible the internal roll may have dislodged and turned upside down (some models are using cheap glue instead of screws to hold the roll in place). When I first got my screen, the vertical limit switches were facing directly up and into the housing, rendering them out of sight. I had a friend over to help take the screen housing apart, turn the roll so the switches faced downwards, use machine-type screws to hold it in place (there should be holes made for this) and then re-assemble. Had no problem with the vertical limit switches after that.

Try and feel with your finger up inside on the edge of the roll for two holes (cue the TWSS jokes) because they could be facing the wrong direction. If so, you'll need a screwdriver and an hour or two. You could always take it back and have them give you another one, unless you had it shipped, in which case you'll have to decide if an exchange RMA and the inconvenience/cost of return shipping is worth it.

Good luck.

~j
post #1180 of 1688 Old 06-26-2011, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinless View Post

I had the same difficulty locating the switches when I got mine. They are on the motor side. One is yellow and one is white.

It's possible the internal roll may have dislodged and turned upside down (some models are using cheap glue instead of screws to hold the roll in place). When I first got my screen, the vertical limit switches were facing directly up and into the housing, rendering them out of sight. I had a friend over to help take the screen housing apart, turn the roll to face downwards, use machine-type screws to hold it in place (there should be holes made for this) and then re-assemble. Had no problem with the vertical limit switches after that.

Try and feel with your finger up inside on the edge of the roll for two holes (cue the TWSS jokes) because they could be facing the wrong direction. If so, you'll need a screwdriver and an hour or two. You could always take it back and have them give you another one, unless you had it shipped, in which case you'll have to decide if an exchange RMA and the inconvenience/cost of return shipping is worth it.

Good luck.

~j

I found them. They are the Alen Screws. Elites site has PDF's with instructions on how to do it and which ones do what. Pretty cool. I found it after I posted this. But everything worked perfect now it's setup.

Thanks,
Rick
post #1181 of 1688 Old 06-27-2011, 07:59 PM

I was hoping I could get some advice on a problem I'm seeing. I have a cinewhite cinetension 2 106" screen. I was playing a game the other day and there was a moment when the screen was all white. I noticed that there were a series of vertical lines symmetrically located in the middle of the screen. I actually thought it was part of the game until I noticed them during panning shots while watching a movie. I'm still not 100% convinced that it wasn't the content, but I'm afraid it might be due to the screen. Could it be over or under tensioned? Has anyone else seen anything like this?
post #1182 of 1688 Old 06-27-2011, 09:42 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemistral View Post

I was hoping I could get some advice on a problem I'm seeing. I have a cinewhite cinetension 2 106" screen. I was playing a game the other day and there was a moment when the screen was all white. I noticed that there were a series of vertical lines symmetrically located in the middle of the screen. I actually thought it was part of the game until I noticed them during panning shots while watching a movie. I'm still not 100% convinced that it wasn't the content, but I'm afraid it might be due to the screen. Could it be over or under tensioned? Has anyone else seen anything like this?

How far apart are the lines? Sometimes if the screen is stored for too long, the material will develop vertical lines that will space out a certain amount depending on the diameter of the tube.

If the lines are not indented into the material, then it's literally in the material and you will need a warranty replacement.

Benito
post #1183 of 1688 Old 06-28-2011, 08:26 AM

Thanks for the reply. There are three "lines" that are readily apparent with a white screen. The longest one appears to be in the middle of the screen and is maybe half the height of the screen but centered in the middle. The other two "lines" are to the right and left spaced equidistantly about 6" or so apart. They are not as tall as the middle "line." The shape of each line is kind of like a cat eye or a narrow ellipse with very rough edges.

Using a bright LED flashlight at an extreme angle, I can see vertical lines every twelve inches or so running the full height of the screen. The look almost exactly like marks from a paint roller. I'm not sure whey I never noticed them before. The screen has been installed since Apr and has been down almost the entire time. I purchased the screen from Amazon and I would imagine they don't have a lot of inventory turnover, so it's possible that it spent too long rolled up while on the stock shelf. I guess I should contact Elite?
post #1184 of 1688 Old 06-28-2011, 10:18 AM

Definitely contact Elite. Get a new one!!

Benito
post #1185 of 1688 Old 07-06-2011, 03:04 PM

I got in contact with Elite and it seems like they are planning to replace the screen. When I spoke with them this afternoon they indicated that they require that I return the screen first and then they will send a replacement- I seem to recall other owners being sent a replacement first before having to send a return. Anybody get a replacement before sending in the defective unit? Any experience with the turn around time? Luckily I'm in California so hopefully shipping shouldn't take too long.
post #1186 of 1688 Old 07-06-2011, 04:06 PM

I have a 92" Cinetension 2 screen that I bought new about 2 years from AVScience . I noticed this week that there are two vertical columns of dime size indentations space about 10" part. I've left the screen down over night to see if they would come out on their own - still there. It appears when it is rolled up something is pressing on the screen to cause these. Has anyone else run into this with this model?
post #1187 of 1688 Old 07-06-2011, 08:16 PM

Lemistral,
You can always try to play tough with them and let them know that you cannot be inconvenienced with not having a screen for that long. Maybe they will send you an advanced replacement.

kmoore,
Can you provide pics? Would pics show the problem?

Benito
post #1188 of 1688 Old 07-07-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benito Joaquin View Post

Lemistral,

kmoore,
Can you provide pics? Would pics show the problem?

Benito

I contacted Elite. It's a known problem for that model for the version I have. According to Elite it wasn't common but did occur. Fortunately I'm still under warranty and they will send me a newer version. They say they addressed this problem with later runs.
post #1189 of 1688 Old 08-07-2011, 07:52 PM

Liked: 12
I am thinking about building a a screen using the 135 in acoustic material. Can anyone tell me if it is made to fit into the screen frames. In other words do the edges have the seam for a bar to go through to snap into the screen like the original? Also will creating this screen work with an epson 8500 ub. Thanks.
post #1190 of 1688 Old 08-26-2011, 06:05 PM

Ongoing saga with the cinetension 2. Elite replaced my first screen due to the highly visible vertical indentations in the fabric- mostly observable during pans or in light scenes. Unfortunately, the second Cinetension 2 was apparently damaged in shipment as the weight bar was lower on one side of the screen than the other. It's not just the weigh bar as the white portion of the screen was a little higher on the right side than on the left (~0.5"). With bright side illumination I could visibly see that the screen was not completely flat- again vertical indentations ~12" apart the whole length of the screen. I did not notice it with content, but perhaps I was so put off by the screen being crooked, I didn't bother to check anything else.

Anyway, Elite sent me a third screen and are supposed to have the second screen picked up (although that hasn't happened yet). Interestingly, this screen had a very different serial number and a matte, pebbled black finish on the case instead of the gloss finish on the other two. As soon as I fired it up, I immediately notice very apparent vertical lines on bright content. Looking at the screen closely, I can see not only vertical indentations, but also horizontal ones.

Before I call to complain to Elite, am I being too critical? I was previously projecting onto an off white, plaster wall in a 1939 house that was far from flat and NEVER noticed any surface irregularities. Now whenever I notice a brighter vertical stripe in the image, my blood pressure goes through the roof knowing how much I paid for something that's performing worse than the wall.

Reading back through this thread it seems like there are definitely some who have noticed ezFrames and cinetensions that were not completely flat. is the lack of uniform flatness in the material a tradeoff for the low price of Elite screens? Would I be better off going with an ezFrame than a Cinetension? I have adjusted the drop on my screen- is this causing suboptimal tensioning of the screen surface?

Help! Thanks.
post #1191 of 1688 Old 08-28-2011, 06:36 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Just wanted to show my love for my new Elite 100" sableframe fixed frame screen.

I went from an 100" focupix electric screen to the elite. the electric screen in less than a year developed waves and it drove me absolutely insane on slow moving scenes when camera is moving sideways.

After much debate between samples with da-lite, carada, and etc I picked the Elite. So far extremely impressed. I compared it back with these samples and the difference is hardly unnoticeable. Glad I spent about $280 than $750 for the carada. I got it from amazon prime. The packaging was great and putting it together was a joke. So easy and no waves!!

I'm using an epson 8500ub and here are some pics taken with my iphone 4. Can't wait to use my Dad's camera for some better pics once he comes and visits me soon, he has a digital slr been dieing to get some good shots with.

All the lights on

Another angle with lights on

All lights off, curtains pulled

post #1192 of 1688 Old 08-28-2011, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 36
nice pics, esp. considering the ambient light! Is this the 'CineWhite' material? I'm wanting to get the 235 cinema version at 115" diag with the cinewhite.....

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

post #1193 of 1688 Old 08-28-2011, 08:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN View Post

nice pics, esp. considering the ambient light! Is this the 'CineWhite' material? I'm wanting to get the 235 cinema version at 115" diag with the cinewhite.....

yes it is cinewhite

post #1194 of 1688 Old 08-29-2011, 12:15 PM

Has anyone used their in-cieling mounting kit with electric screen? Pros and cons of it? Can the screen be placed in the mounting kit after construction is done or do I have to hang it prior. What if there is something wrong with screen? Can it be removed without tearing out drywall?

thanks
post #1195 of 1688 Old 09-02-2011, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
ezFrame Series?
post #1196 of 1688 Old 09-02-2011, 11:09 AM

I am sure a lot of people would say why this guy wants such a cheap screen for 8500UB. Reason being that I keep relocating in 6/12 months and may not always be able to re-use same screen.

I did a lot of research when purchasing 8500UB. I fortunately had white walls, so never bought a screen. But recently moved to an apartment with coffe-colored walls. and white ceiling. So time to purchase a screen. I started doing research for screens, but far too much work, when I only want to spend < $250.

I have not done any detailed calculations. Room is approx 15'x15'. PJ is at 13' approx. 2/3 viewers typically, at approx 10-12'. I just measured 16:9 image size that i typically use for movies. It is 110" wide, so approx 120" diagonal.

Source materials will be - Sony/Panny BD player (70%) and Patriot Box media player (25%). And HDMI-connected laptop at times (5%).

So let me say what I know so far, my preferences and what help I need.
What I come to know...
- Though 8500UB has excellent blacks, Gray screen is still better, as my room can't be completely darkened in daytime.
- Screens come fixed/pull-down/pull-up - I prefer pull down, as PJ is in my living room.
- manual/electric - preferably manual. i don't mind so I save some here. And to keep it simple.
- tensioned/non-tensioned - would prefer tensioned, based on creasing/waves issues I am reading.
- white/gray (with specified gain factor) - gray, as my rooms are not completely darkened during daytime (weekend watching).
- Screen size - I would prefer screen to be 120" diag.

Brands - I saw Mustang, Elite and EluneVision within my price range of $250.

Question is, which Elite screen to use that fit my budget? Or any other brands/suggestions please..

I know many experts who would offer to help, may call me ignorant or just plain simple, but i really want simple recommendations... so please consider that..
post #1197 of 1688 Old 09-05-2011, 08:56 PM

Everything was going well. I put the screen together, tensioned everything properly, hung it up ... turned on the project and all was right with the world for about 40 seconds. Then reality sets in and I come to the realization that all I really needed tonight was another minor obstacle to this home theater project. Ugh. Oh yeh, ignore the blinds, chair and other nonsense ... it's a work in progress.

Looks like a couple of 'flat' or smoother spots on the material and I can see it in about 15% of the scenes. Kinda looks likek my drywall or painting workmanship

Anyway, I'll be calling Elite tomorrow to see what they want to do. Wanted to see if anyone here knew what these spots were. I can see them under ambient light when looking at an extreme angle. I can see it with the projector light when viewed head on and from below the area. If I stand up and look down onto it, it seems to disappear.

Other than the issue with the spots on the screen. The Elite Sableframe looks like it's well crafted. I have nothing else to compare the screen to as I've never had another screen.
LL
post #1198 of 1688 Old 09-06-2011, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by workhurts View Post

Everything was going well. I put the screen together, tensioned everything properly, hung it up ... turned on the project and all was right with the world for about 40 seconds. Then reality sets in and I come to the realization that all I really needed tonight was another minor obstacle to this home theater project. Ugh. Oh yeh, ignore the blinds, chair and other nonsense ... it's a work in progress.

Looks like a couple of 'flat' or smoother spots on the material and I can see it in about 15% of the scenes. Kinda looks likek my drywall or painting workmanship

Anyway, I'll be calling Elite tomorrow to see what they want to do. Wanted to see if anyone here knew what these spots were. I can see them under ambient light when looking at an extreme angle. I can see it with the projector light when viewed head on and from below the area. If I stand up and look down onto it, it seems to disappear.

Other than the issue with the spots on the screen. The Elite Sableframe looks like it's well crafted. I have nothing else to compare the screen to as I've never had another screen.

I have the SAME thing just little left of the middle about same size as yours but I just have one. I can see it, wife has not noticed it on bright scenes. Let me know what elite tells you because I was thinking about call as well but I can't see it if i sit up on my couch if I'm being lazy and slouching I can. If I move like half ft left or right it goes away as well. If stand up. You can't see it at all.

Thanks

post #1199 of 1688 Old 09-06-2011, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threefiddie View Post

I have the SAME thing just little left of the middle about same size as yours but I just have one. I can see it, wife has not noticed it on bright scenes. Let me know what elite tells you because I was thinking about call as well but I can't see it if i sit up on my couch if I'm being lazy and slouching I can. If I move like half ft left or right it goes away as well. If stand up. You can't see it at all.

Thanks

I've got the same thing too, but in my case they are diagonal lines that go across the whole screen. I keep meaning to get some pictures of it and start the RMA process with Elite, but haven't had the time yet.

From what I've heard in the past, they're pretty good about replacing the screen for things like this.
post #1200 of 1688 Old 09-06-2011, 11:22 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 293
It's been a while, but Elite gave me no issues at all about replacing a screen under warranty.
Jrek likes this.

Mike Lang
Administrator
Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Join the AVS Club and help support the site. Help Support AVS Forum Sponsors.
Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Da Lite Screens , Panasonic Et Lae700 Replacement Lamp For Pt Ae700u , Projectors , Elite Screens Inc
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page