The official Elite screen thread. - Page 42 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1231 of 1688 Old 01-29-2012, 04:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
[quote=mangamonster;21279624]Well, I just got my Elite Screen 92" Sable in yesterday ( $240 @ amazon and here's the crazy thing. It was really REALLY easy to put together. I was a bit doubtful based on all of the negative reviews of how it was thumb-numbing to put together. In all honesty, it doesn't take much effort at all, besides a little stretching of the screen and then easily clipping into place. I had it put together in about an hour.

Mangamonster you inspired me to get that 92 fixed frame over some cheaper manual pull downs I was looking at. I got mine from amazon too, can't wait. This will be my first projector setup

Gear list: Main setup - Kef Q900, Svs sb12-nsd subwoofer, onkyo 609 receiver, epson 8350 projector, elitescreens sable 92" screen, mac mini htpc
bedroom setup: PSB Image B5, maverick tubemagic a1 amplifier, hifimediy sabre9023 dac, ZMF Fostex T50RP modded headphones
preordered gear: Light Harmonic Geek Pulse X dac and headphone amp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1232 of 1688 Old 01-30-2012, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Does anyone from Elite post here when people are looking for a screen? I called for some technical info, and I got absolutely no answer to my question, I was told to go to their special order page, of which the model I want was not listed in their form page, and I'm not really looking to special order anything, I want a screen that's already made buy them, but a different material, with no real time line, but I have to go through all this effort, to get to a dead end.
No wonder I see so many buying from Amazon and others rather deal with them directly.....
post #1233 of 1688 Old 01-31-2012, 03:38 AM

Liked: 10
Hi, so what would you recommend me to choose ?.

1) manual SRM - as a cheap screen and in case of some waves to buy new one
2) tension series - as a much more expensive but supposed to be without any waves ...

thx
post #1234 of 1688 Old 01-31-2012, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just ordered an R120H1 ezFrame screen to replace my manual Elite M135XWH2. I had the 135" manual for almost 2 years and not one issue or wave. I moved to a new apartment and have the space for a fixed screen, plus over time I have learned 135" is just too crazy at the 12-14ft seating distance. I'll update on the results.

To the person asking about manual vs tension. Grab a manual, in my opinion waves are possible but typically only if the screen is abused, left pulled out for days/weeks, or the temperature tends to fluctuate. That is based on my own personal research and may differ from others opinions.
post #1235 of 1688 Old 01-31-2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taskman View Post

To the person asking about manual vs tension. Grab a manual, in my opinion waves are possible but typically only if the screen is abused, left pulled out for days/weeks, or the temperature tends to fluctuate. That is based on my own personal research and may differ from others opinions.

Ok , and what series would you take from manual s. ?

Manual
Manual SRM
Manual SRM Pro

Thank you,
post #1236 of 1688 Old 02-01-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:

I just ordered an R120H1 ezFrame screen to replace my manual Elite M135XWH2. I had the 135" manual for almost 2 years and not one issue or wave. I moved to a new apartment and have the space for a fixed screen, plus over time I have learned 135" is just too crazy at the 12-14ft seating distance. I'll update on the results.

Well, I got my R120H1 EzFrame nice and quick(Thank you Amazon). So I ran into an issue with installation, the joints don't align with the screw holes in the frame. I have gotten some to align but the center joints align on half the holes but not the other half. Anybody with EzFrame experience know if I am missing anything?

Almost all reviews on sites like Amazon are mostly all positive, except for a few like me who have install issues. I'm guessing that the machining was off and I was just unlucky. Probably going to exchange it but I'll watch the forum and also contact Elite Screens.
post #1237 of 1688 Old 02-01-2012, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schinach View Post

Ok , and what series would you take from manual s. ?

Manual
Manual SRM
Manual SRM Pro

Thank you,

For me personally, I went with manual. My reasoning was it was my first screen so given all the variables in designs out there, $200 for a "practice screen", seemed like a good idea and it was. Gave me an idea of what I wanted my final screen to be(fixed.) I know the SRM has a slow roll up, if you care about that it might be worth it. SRM Pro has fiberglass? I don't know offhand what the advantage that gives, it sounds like glass bead screen but the gain is only 1.1. Elite says it cleans very well............ok.
post #1238 of 1688 Old 02-02-2012, 09:10 AM

Quote:

For me personally, I went with manual. My reasoning was it was my first screen so given all the variables in designs out there, $200 for a "practice screen", seemed like a good idea and it was. Gave me an idea of what I wanted my final screen to be(fixed.) I know the SRM has a slow roll up, if you care about that it might be worth it. SRM Pro has fiberglass? I don't know offhand what the advantage that gives, it sounds like glass bead screen but the gain is only 1.1. Elite says it cleans very well............ok.

so finally i have ordered manual SRM Pro - the price is not so much higher then manual.

Thank you for your suggestion.
post #1239 of 1688 Old 02-06-2012, 07:38 PM

Liked: 13
I just hung my Elite Screens Sable 92" frame today.. I'm very happy with the quality of the screen and frame. Much better than my textured wall, I'll tell you that much But the guy helping me who was in construction said the drywall anchors included were weak and not good.. so we went to home depot and got stronger 75 pound drywall anchors to use. That was the only issue. Here's a pic:

full size http://i.imgur.com/z3m7N.jpg
Taken during the day with the curtains drawn in dynamic mode on epson 8350

Gear list: Main setup - Kef Q900, Svs sb12-nsd subwoofer, onkyo 609 receiver, epson 8350 projector, elitescreens sable 92" screen, mac mini htpc
bedroom setup: PSB Image B5, maverick tubemagic a1 amplifier, hifimediy sabre9023 dac, ZMF Fostex T50RP modded headphones
preordered gear: Light Harmonic Geek Pulse X dac and headphone amp
post #1240 of 1688 Old 02-07-2012, 08:22 PM

Quick update, I sent back my Elite Ezframe grey. The loss of whites just didn't end up being worth it. Just installed a cinewhite Ezframe and couldn't be happier. Going from a manual to fixed frame makes it much more easy to just sit down and kick on a movie or game.

The only issue is this screen came with some kind of residue on sections of it. Its not visible during playback, only when light hits it directly. Anyone get an Elite screen with this on it?
post #1241 of 1688 Old 02-07-2012, 08:23 PM

Nice pic, as always the Epson doesn't disappoint and neither does the Elite Screen.
post #1242 of 1688 Old 02-09-2012, 10:55 PM

Just posted questions about an Elite screen in the thread here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1393225

Any input and feedback are appreciated (want to know if the Osprey is still made and any consensus on it. Also, best vendors if the feedback is good.)
post #1243 of 1688 Old 02-17-2012, 10:59 AM

Does anyone have a 135" ezframe in cinegrey? I wanted to see how the screen material itself is and whether or not you see any waves or imperfections in the material itself. I have a monoprice 133" fixed screen and I'm not happy with it at all. Inadequate tension and bad material manufacturing has lead to waves that I can easily see in a lot of different types of content. I'm thinking about going with an Elite but want to make sure the tension on the larger sizes is adequate. Thanks!
post #1244 of 1688 Old 02-18-2012, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davecraze View Post

Has anyone seen this new "4K" material from Elite Screens? Looks like a much tighter weave than their acousticpro1080 material and the weave is on an angle to reduce moire, which has been reported by some folks in the past on elite acousticpro1080 screens.

http://www.elitescreens.com/index.ph...mid=23&lang=en

Anyone know where I can purchase a screen with this material?

I have a sample of it arriving any day to check out. Looks promising.
post #1245 of 1688 Old 02-21-2012, 02:22 PM

Looking for some advice on an Elite screen for my first projector, a newly purchased Optoma HD33.

Right now I am just projecting on my wall (not even white, it's light beige!!) so I could get a feel for placement and size.

I have decided that 106" or 110" (16x9) will be a good size and I want to have a fixed screen. The projector does support 3D but since I am using active glasses, I shouldn't have to worry about polarization as I am able to watch 3D just fine off of the wall

What Elite screen would you recommend??
I can control light in the room fairly well during the day (dim ambient light, but no direct light on the viewing surface) and at night, well it is good and dark

In terms of cost, I don't want to break the piggy bank but if it makes a difference in picture quality (better blacks, color, etc...) I would be willing to throw piggy against the wall
post #1246 of 1688 Old 02-22-2012, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Anyone tried ordering just the Elite screen material from B&H stores?
I'm wondering how's the packaging of the rolled up screen material and it's quality.

Any thoughts?
post #1247 of 1688 Old 02-29-2012, 09:48 AM

How are people liking the Cinetension2? Specifically curious for those who've had it a decent amount of time. In the hunt for a ceiling-mounted electric screen (tab-tensioned) and this one seems to fit the budget, but the waves spook me. Thanks!
post #1248 of 1688 Old 03-12-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wudevious View Post

How are people liking the Cinetension2? Specifically curious for those who've had it a decent amount of time. In the hunt for a ceiling-mounted electric screen (tab-tensioned) and this one seems to fit the budget, but the waves spook me. Thanks!

I've had the Cinetension 2 (120") for 2 years mounted in-ceiling. Recently, the motor stopped working and Elite told me that the fuse blew. Unfortunately, the fuse can't be accessed without removing the screen from the ceiling, so this is a major construction job.

I have also have had the problem with waves in the screen. They have instructions for how to fix them, but they are pretty involved and I could never get them to work. Forget having them fixed under warranty--Elite has no field service so you would need to ship the screen back to them (very expensive).

Needless to say, I wouldn't recommend this screen for in-ceiling use.
post #1249 of 1688 Old 03-13-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdauber View Post

I've had the Cinetension 2 (120") for 2 years mounted in-ceiling. Recently, the motor stopped working and Elite told me that the fuse blew. Unfortunately, the fuse can't be accessed without removing the screen from the ceiling, so this is a major construction job.

I have also have had the problem with waves in the screen. They have instructions for how to fix them, but they are pretty involved and I could never get them to work. Forget having them fixed under warranty--Elite has no field service so you would need to ship the screen back to them (very expensive).

Needless to say, I wouldn't recommend this screen for in-ceiling use.

OMG! I have my Cinetension 2 (120'') recessed in a drop ceiling. Now I'm always going to worry about it blowing a fuse every time a use it.
post #1250 of 1688 Old 03-15-2012, 03:14 PM

Wanted to know how to replace a lenticular screen on the rear projection tv without going through the back.
post #1251 of 1688 Old 03-15-2012, 05:26 PM

set up my new 106" sable frame fixed screen over the weekend. i'm happy with it overall, but there appears to be some horizontal creases in the middle of the screen. any way to get rid of those?
post #1252 of 1688 Old 04-01-2012, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graty View Post

Wanted to know how to replace a lenticular screen on the rear projection tv without going through the back.

You can't change it though the back. if you take the screws off the plastic housing.at the back of a 610, the mirror will fall out and break on the lenses below.

On the Elite RPTVs, you get to e fresnel and lenticular screens by removing the front frame and protective screen. I posted a reply recently with a diagram to the Pioneer 510 forum...look there.

joe
post #1253 of 1688 Old 04-09-2012, 09:04 PM

Quote:

Quick update, I sent back my Elite Ezframe grey. The loss of whites just didn't end up being worth it. Just installed a cinewhite Ezframe and couldn't be happier. Going from a manual to fixed frame makes it much more easy to just sit down and kick on a movie or game.

The only issue is this screen came with some kind of residue on sections of it. Its not visible during playback, only when light hits it directly. Anyone get an Elite screen with this on it?

taskman, I also have a new elite 120" white screen and have some odd lines in the upper center and left. I can only see them during very bright scenes and only when sitting in the center and left of screen. When sitting on the right, I can barely see it. Close up, the material looks fine. Not sure what it is. Some kind of stretching? But only seen from certain angles?
post #1254 of 1688 Old 04-10-2012, 12:16 PM

Liked: 11
So I didn't read all 42 pages but skimmed thru alot,

I see things like imperfections on the screen, oil stains/spots, brackets not matching up...sooo

I am looking for a screen somewhere high 70's to maybe 88"....I would love a fixed but doing my homework...what other good screens are out there without breaking the budget?

Make it a Great Day,

Shawn

Epson 8350

Carada 96' Screen

Onkyo 609

Sony BDP350

Polk CS1 Center channel

Polk Monitor 60

(4) Yamaha Satellite

Yamaha and Sony Subs

post #1255 of 1688 Old 04-11-2012, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvatman View Post

taskman, I also have a new elite 120" white screen and have some odd lines in the upper center and left. I can only see them during very bright scenes and only when sitting in the center and left of screen. When sitting on the right, I can barely see it. Close up, the material looks fine. Not sure what it is. Some kind of stretching? But only seen from certain angles?

i think i just dealt with the exact same issue. the lines were horizontal and looked like creases or wrinkles. they will not go away. contact elite screens for replacement screen material. the new material they sent me was perfect and even got rid of the hot spot/reflection i had in the original screen.
post #1256 of 1688 Old 04-11-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvatman View Post

I haven't had a chance to update my post but like you had odd white lines, more like residue than something wrong with the screen itself. Could be seen in very bright scenes as you describe. Like J3553, I contacted Elite Screens and was really impressed with their follow through. They sent me new screen material which didnt have those defects and I'm very much enjoying my 120" screen now.

A couple notes though.

1. Its in fine print but they are going to want you to pay for return shipping on your screen, its part of their warranty agreement. Just an FYI, I was a little bothered by it but its not a huge deal. Much better then having to build a new frame, thats for sure.

2. The second screen is almost perfect, it did come with 2 very small red dots, think tip of a pencil small. Completley invisible unless your about 20 inches from right side of the screen, the projector is off, and all lights are turned on. I think I can live with such a small defect.

3. To answer another poster's comments about reading through the 42 pages of this thread and seeing issues. I just want to say that yeah, like Mustang, HT Depot, and other entry level screen makers, there are some quality control issues. However, the warranty is solid and more than just 1 year.

If your worried, your more than welcome to go buy a da-light or diamond screen but thats many times the cost of the Elite. Those brands are excellent by the way but gear more for high end or the poor soul with white marble floor tiling in the basement.

Taskman
post #1257 of 1688 Old 04-26-2012, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
When I try to lower the screen using the remote control, it comes in a free-fall (but I still hear the motor running in the back). It is also unable to pull the screen up, unless I manually help by pushing it up while the motor is rotating.

If I press the stop button, it holds the screen in place just fine.

Any ideas of what is going on?
post #1258 of 1688 Old 04-26-2012, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Whats the difference between a Sable and ezFrame in Cine White. Is it just the frames are different. How about the screen material are they the same?

Joe V.
post #1259 of 1688 Old 05-07-2012, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

I just put together my elite screen - it was a pain, the clipping system isnt great... but anyway... when I have bright scenes one side of the screen looks like it has dirts marks on or something, its very visible and distracting.

I have the gray screen at 130" - anyone else have this before?

I want to die in my sleep like grandpa... not kicking and screaming like the people in his car.
post #1260 of 1688 Old 05-08-2012, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metric View Post

I just put together my elite screen - it was a pain, the clipping system isnt great... but anyway... when I have bright scenes one side of the screen looks like it has dirts marks on or something, its very visible and distracting.

I have the gray screen at 130" - anyone else have this before?

Sounds like the issue I had with my first matte white screen. Let me guess, it looks like a stain but you can't feel any texture to it? Mine also only appeared during bright scenes.

You have two options, return and replace or contact Elite for a warranty replacement. I personally recommend going with option 2. They will send you a new roll of screen material but you will have to pay return shipping on your damaged screen material per their warranty agreement.

The alternative is having to rebuild the frame. I chose option 2, I had already built 2 of them and wasnt going to go through the pain of building another frame. It was very much worth the $12 in shipping costs I paid.
Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Da Lite Screens , Panasonic Et Lae700 Replacement Lamp For Pt Ae700u , Projectors , Elite Screens Inc
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page