The official Elite screen thread. - Page 60 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1771 of 1796 Old 10-22-2014, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
thezaks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Laveen, AZ
Posts: 799
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schank View Post
Actually Draper already has a alternative to the zero edge frame which it is called there Profile frame with the React MS1000v material. In my view it is superior to Elites Cinegrey 5D and there Polarstar material as I have all 3 samples...
I have two samples of Draper screen material - the React MS1000V and the XS850E. I also have two samples of Seymour Ambient Visionaire (1.3 and 1.2) materials, two DNP's (.8 and 2.3), two BD's (.8 and 1.4), Firehawk G4, and Elite Screens Darkstar. I don't have the Cinegrey 5D or the Polarstar materials that were mentioned in your comparison.

Here's my thoughts:

Draper - these materials ranked last out of all the ones that I have. I don't like the look of them at all.

Seymour AV - the 1.3 is close to a white screen, which isn't a compliment for an ambient light screen. The 1.2 was actually a really nice screen. In the 1.2-1.5 gain range, it was my second favorite. However, both screens scratch really easily.

DNP - these materials are outstanding and at the top of my ratings. Very scratch resistant, great off-angle (even the 2.3), and nice color and contrast. However, I've always wished for DNP to provide a screen material that was somewhere between the DNP .8 and the DNP 2.3 - the 1.2-1.5 range.

BD - The BD 1.4 has the gain I desire, but I don't like the off-angle viewing - it's really bad. I can't live with it.

FH G4 - just OK.

Darkstar - my favorite screen. It's in the gain range that I desire, and like the DNP, it's scratch resistant, and it has great color and contrast. The contrast is probably the best of all the screen samples. The blacks are nearly the same as the .8 DNP, and the whites are brighter than the BD 1.4. This is what I wanted from DNP, and Elite Screens has provided it. One word of caution - the sample has to be turned on its side. Apparently, someone made a mistake when cutting the material for the samples. If you don't turn it on its side, the off-angle will be the worst of any screen you will ever see. Turn it on its side, and you'll hopefully see all the positives that I've noted, along with very good off-angle performance (like the DNP's). For me, it's the winner in this category of screens.


Thanks,
Dave
mishari84 likes this.

FOR SALE: Wireworld Platinum 6 1M HDMI Cable. Originally $1000, selling for $500 obo. Please PM me, if interested.
thezaks is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1772 of 1796 Old 10-22-2014, 06:50 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripplesixty View Post
Well I contacted Elite and got an RMA for a new screen. They shipped out the new one vai FedEx right away (thanks Elite). I just got it installed the other day and surprised to see that the replacement screen seems to have its own problems. I'll try to include pictures. I apologize for the camera phone pics but it's all I have at the moment. Sadly there appears to be a large vertical band on the left edge of the screen, clearly visible in the pictures. There are also a series of horizontal bands that are much less apparent, but still visible near the bottom of the screen. There are no physical blemishes on the screen. I'm wondering if these bands will slowly go away as the material stretches and settles or if this is a reason to dump the Elite Cine Grey 5D all together? Two bad screens in a row doesn't give me hope for ordering a 3rd. What do you guys think I should do?
I have this same issue with horizontal stripes on my designer cut CineGrey 5D. I contacted elite and after they initially told me that I definitely had a defective screen and it would be replaced, they have since backtracked and stated that the stripes/creases occur during manufacturing and that all of the material they currently have has this issue and it will never completely go away in time. They told me the only avenue I have is to go to the distributer and request a refund. I can't conceive a way that I'd ever order or recommend Elite based in this experience.

By the way the lines on my screen are evenly spaced and can be seen and felt. It looks very much like the material was folded at some point.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
phenix14 is offline  
post #1773 of 1796 Old 10-22-2014, 11:08 PM
Newbie
 
Tripplesixty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenix14 View Post
I have this same issue with horizontal stripes on my designer cut CineGrey 5D. I contacted elite and after they initially told me that I definitely had a defective screen and it would be replaced, they have since backtracked and stated that the stripes/creases occur during manufacturing and that all of the material they currently have has this issue and it will never completely go away in time. They told me the only avenue I have is to go to the distributer and request a refund. I can't conceive a way that I'd ever order or recommend Elite based in this experience.

By the way the lines on my screen are evenly spaced and can be seen and felt. It looks very much like the material was folded at some point.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
Interesting... Thanks for replying, this is kind of saddening... I'm already on my first replacement and don't want to go through a second round. I think it's completely unacceptable for a screen to have visual imperfections, especially when they are as blatant as the banding we are seeing. This is something that should have been caught in quality control and rejected for resale. I'm guessing I'll keep the screen for the time being and upgrade to a "grown up" screen like an SI Zero Edge screen when I move into a permanent residence.

Also after 3 days, confirming what you mentioned, there seems to be no change or fading in the lines on screen.
Tripplesixty is offline  
post #1774 of 1796 Old 10-28-2014, 10:11 AM
Member
 
Soxfan111111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Someone else about a week ago tried to get a separate thread started on this but got no response, but I'll try here. Is this too good to be true:


http://www.amazon.com/Diagonal-Spect.../dp/B00MJ4WAWG

Last edited by Soxfan111111; 10-28-2014 at 10:47 AM.
Soxfan111111 is offline  
post #1775 of 1796 Old 10-29-2014, 09:29 AM
Senior Member
 
taskman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 268
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soxfan111111 View Post
Someone else about a week ago tried to get a separate thread started on this but got no response, but I'll try here. Is this too good to be true:


http://www.amazon.com/Diagonal-Spect.../dp/B00MJ4WAWG
That price lines up with the average on that screen. I recommend that people order these screens from Amazon, especially if your a prime member. They are shipped freight and I have had torn up boxes come in that I had to send back to Amazon. Also, if there are defects in the screen you can save time and just return it to Amazon. They will send out a replacement very quickly.
taskman is offline  
post #1776 of 1796 Old 10-29-2014, 01:58 PM
Member
 
Soxfan111111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by taskman View Post
That price lines up with the average on that screen. I recommend that people order these screens from Amazon, especially if your a prime member. They are shipped freight and I have had torn up boxes come in that I had to send back to Amazon. Also, if there are defects in the screen you can save time and just return it to Amazon. They will send out a replacement very quickly.
From what I've seen tab-tensioned motorized screens usually go for a couple thousand, not $424. Which makes me wonder if it's a piece of junk. As the first poster who found this noted, you can't find a review of this screen anywhere.
Soxfan111111 is offline  
post #1777 of 1796 Old 10-29-2014, 07:04 PM
Newbie
 
emerson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does Elite have any tensioned manual screen?
emerson is offline  
post #1778 of 1796 Old 10-30-2014, 08:08 AM
Senior Member
 
taskman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 268
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
From a price perspective Elite Screen is an Economic Friendly option for that reason. As far as I know, HTdepot.com and Elite Screens are the most affordable options. However, with the less expensive option you have more potential for issues. Which is why you want to be smart about purchasing screens, taking advantage of Amazon's return policy is one example.

I have had a few Elite Screens, non that were electric. I had a few issues but nothing major but that is just my experience though. Others have reported mixed reviews. Recently I have seen posts on Elite showing some bad experiences with warranty repair.
taskman is offline  
post #1779 of 1796 Old 10-30-2014, 11:45 PM
Newbie
 
diestler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone cut the power cord on their elite screen and extending it by splicing on an extension cord? Using something like this Husky Power Tool Replacement Cord found at hardware stores.

If so, did you use 14 or 16 gauge? Home Depot has both varieties.

The power cable that comes with the screen is pretty short, doesn't reach an outlet, don't want to add a traditional extension cord as I would like to cover the cable with a "channel raceway/cord cover" and getting an electrician to add an outlet to the ceiling near the projector could be pretty pricey. I think a splice might be the best choice? Before cutting the cord on the projector though I thought I would check in here and see what others have done.
diestler is offline  
post #1780 of 1796 Old 11-02-2014, 03:24 PM
Member
 
ProjectionHead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Here's a recent interview with Elite Screens about some of their new products and advice for new screen buyers:
http://www.projectorscreen.com/blog/...-Elite-Screens
ProjectionHead is offline  
post #1781 of 1796 Old 11-03-2014, 05:09 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Need to check this website.
major_theater is offline  
post #1782 of 1796 Old 11-24-2014, 07:10 PM
Member
 
Angus.Young's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Well I got my 120 sable built..

Not to bad.. but thumb is a bit sore.. had one corner where i could not get a clip in.. but seems fine.. somehow the rod did not seem to fit into the channel at that point..

Will still be awhile before i can test it but at least its built
Angus.Young is offline  
post #1783 of 1796 Old 12-02-2014, 11:49 AM
Newbie
 
FreeLunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Elite aeon 120

Is anyone using one of these screens? Thoughts?
FreeLunch is offline  
post #1784 of 1796 Old 12-02-2014, 01:05 PM
Member
 
ProjectionHead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeLunch View Post
Is anyone using one of these screens? Thoughts?
The first batch to land in the US had production issues and were 'duds' for lack of a better term. Since the 2nd batch has landed, Elite has stopped selling the first batch to their dealers.

Depending on where you purchase these, you may end up with batch 1 or batch 2+.

I have confirmed today with ProjectorScreen.com that they are only shipping Batch 2 if you place an order with them.

The frame is a bit rough/raw in my opinion when compared to the higher end Da-lite UTB or Draper Profile, but at a fraction of the cost it may not bother some people.

I have yet to see the new batch in person to personally vouch for them, but that will change soon

http://www.projectorscreen.com/store...-1-1-Gain.html
ProjectionHead is offline  
post #1785 of 1796 Old 12-03-2014, 06:52 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Anyone know the exact dimensions of an Elite Home2 16:9 100" diag. (Home100IWH2)?

anyone know the correct Home2 Home100IWH2 case length and bottom bar length? I contacted Elite and they said the case length is 97.6" +/- 1" and bar length is 93.6" +/- 1". My problem is that if the dimensions are on the + side it won't fit on my wall and Elite won't take returns due to dimension issues. I find it hard to believe they can't provide accurate dimensions.
gblakley is offline  
post #1786 of 1796 Old 12-04-2014, 07:10 AM
Member
 
ProjectionHead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gblakley View Post
anyone know the correct Home2 Home100IWH2 case length and bottom bar length? I contacted Elite and they said the case length is 97.6" +/- 1" and bar length is 93.6" +/- 1". My problem is that if the dimensions are on the + side it won't fit on my wall and Elite won't take returns due to dimension issues. I find it hard to believe they can't provide accurate dimensions.
No one is going to know the dims better than the manufacturer. They give that +/- due to inconsistencies in the manufacturing process and different batch runs. While not uncommon for manufacturers to allow a small variance in overall size Elite's 1" is on the high side.



You 'could' always make a small hole in the drywall for the end of the case if it's too large... assuming its against drywall and you are cool with that sort of thing

good luck!
ProjectionHead is offline  
post #1787 of 1796 Old 12-09-2014, 11:12 PM
Member
 
jayteez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 160
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I ordered a silver ticket screen to replace my elite powergain screen because of banding issues with the elite. The silver ticket screen was nice, however it had a manufacturers defect on the upper right hand quadrant of the screen. I contacted amazon and they advised me to send the screen back..ok cool. Upon remounting my original elite screen, I decided to instead turn the screen upside down...as in turn the screen material upside down in the frame..guess what?? the banding issue is minimal..there is still a small bit of banding but hardly noticeable. To the folks with the elite powergain with bandings, try flipping the screen upside down. worked for me. sending the silver ticket back.

Last edited by jayteez; 12-10-2014 at 08:52 AM.
jayteez is offline  
post #1788 of 1796 Old 12-13-2014, 01:50 PM
Member
 
poisonpill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
100" cinetension ceiling install

Hello all,

I just purchased an Electric 100HT tab-tensioned 100" screen and I'm wondering how people are installing it into the ceiling. I found my ceiling joists but they don't exactly correspond to the length of the screen. What are my options? I may have to cut into the ceiling and screw in some wood beams but I'm wondering what others have done, like do they sell a special bracket or something.

Thanks!

Last edited by poisonpill; 12-13-2014 at 02:06 PM.
poisonpill is offline  
post #1789 of 1796 Old 12-13-2014, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bluer101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,234
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by poisonpill View Post
Hello all,

I just purchased an Electric 100HT tab-tensioned 100" screen and I'm wondering how people are installing it into the ceiling. I found my ceiling joists but they don't exactly correspond to the length of the screen. What are my options? I may have to cut into the ceiling and screw in some wood beams but I'm wondering what others have done, like do they sell a special bracket or something.

Thanks!
You can take a board and span across the joists like me. This allowed me to hit 2 joists as close to the ends of the boards.

Here is a post in my console build in my signature that shows the board and screen valance.

TV / Projector screen console build.
bluer101 is online now  
post #1790 of 1796 Old 12-15-2014, 09:06 AM
Member
 
Solarium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soxfan111111 View Post
Someone else about a week ago tried to get a separate thread started on this but got no response, but I'll try here. Is this too good to be true:


http://www.amazon.com/Diagonal-Spect.../dp/B00MJ4WAWG
I'm wondering about the quality of this screen as well. It seems to be a new product, hence no reviews. And supposedly they cut down the costs of this screen by having only 2 sizes (100" or 125"), and uses the same MAXWhite screen material as most of the other screens. If it's 80% as good as the Cinetension2 line I think it's worth investing. Especially after hearing that these tensioned screens distort/ripple/wrinkles after a few years anyway, might as well replace it with a cheaper one after a few years. You save $600 from not getting the Cinetension2 series.
Solarium is offline  
post #1791 of 1796 Old 12-17-2014, 09:15 PM
Newbie
 
zebibyte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, all, I just received and tested an Elite Screens ELECTRIC125HT tab-tensioned model from Amazon.

It arrived nicely boxed and seemed to have survived shipping OK. Once it was temporarily installed in my garage, I did notice it had some V shaped wrinkles (from top corners to bottom middle), and the usual horizontal lines from sitting rolled up in the warehouse. After a few days of hanging to try to relieve the lines, not much change was noted, so I contacted Elite and they advised an RMA. Rather than deal with that, I've returned it via Amazon and another one is on the way.

It seems like a nice screen option, good quality build, and potentially a great value if I can get a properly tensioned unit. The screen material is nothing special, but looked good. The tab tensioning strings were very loose, and I asked Elite's tech support if that might be the problem, but they didn't really want to deal with it, just referring me to their website to start the replacement process. Raising and lowering the screen is slow, but fairly quiet. This first unit also had an issue where it didn't want to stop the motor when the screen was fully rolled up, so it made a grinding noise until the stop button was pressed on the remote.

Anyway, hoping for better results with a replacement unit, the value and performance seem worth the hassle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Elite Screens ELECTRIC125HT wrinkles side.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	428418   Click image for larger version

Name:	Elite Screens ELECTRIC125HT wrinkles front.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	428426  
zebibyte is offline  
post #1792 of 1796 Old 12-17-2014, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bluer101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,234
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebibyte View Post
Hi, all, I just received and tested an Elite Screens ELECTRIC125HT tab-tensioned model from Amazon.

It arrived nicely boxed and seemed to have survived shipping OK. Once it was temporarily installed in my garage, I did notice it had some V shaped wrinkles (from top corners to bottom middle), and the usual horizontal lines from sitting rolled up in the warehouse. After a few days of hanging to try to relieve the lines, not much change was noted, so I contacted Elite and they advised an RMA. Rather than deal with that, I've returned it via Amazon and another one is on the way.

It seems like a nice screen option, good quality build, and potentially a great value if I can get a properly tensioned unit. The screen material is nothing special, but looked good. The tab tensioning strings were very loose, and I asked Elite's tech support if that might be the problem, but they didn't really want to deal with it, just referring me to their website to start the replacement process. Raising and lowering the screen is slow, but fairly quiet. This first unit also had an issue where it didn't want to stop the motor when the screen was fully rolled up, so it made a grinding noise until the stop button was pressed on the remote.

Anyway, hoping for better results with a replacement unit, the value and performance seem worth the hassle.
Wow, that's horrible. My non tension is almost perfect.
bluer101 is online now  
post #1793 of 1796 Old Today, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Gooddoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 4,298
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked: 436
I just had a non tab tensioned delivered. I got the Elite Screens 100 Inch 16:9 Spectrum Electric Projector Screen for far less than half the price of the tab tension model. It is really more of a test screen so I can figure out what I really want a a final screen, so I'm hoping for the best. Can't go wrong though for a 100" electric screen for well under 2 Benjamins with RF and IR remote capability.
Gooddoc is online now  
post #1794 of 1796 Old Today, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bluer101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,234
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
I just had a non tab tensioned delivered. I got the Elite Screens 100 Inch 16:9 Spectrum Electric Projector Screen for far less than half the price of the tab tension model. It is really more of a test screen so I can figure out what I really want a a final screen, so I'm hoping for the best. Can't go wrong though for a 100" electric screen for well under 2 Benjamins with RF and IR remote capability.
That's tge same screen I have. Just like you I ordered it to get my feet wet and so far I have been really happy for the price.
bluer101 is online now  
post #1795 of 1796 Old Today, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Gooddoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 4,298
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluer101 View Post
That's tge same screen I have. Just like you I ordered it to get my feet wet and so far I have been really happy for the price.
That's great to hear. I'll be mounting mine up after Christmas. It's technically a gift from my kids.
Gooddoc is online now  
post #1796 of 1796 Old Today, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bluer101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,234
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
That's great to hear. I'll be mounting mine up after Christmas. It's technically a gift from my kids.
Here it is before I added my height channels. By all means it's not perfect and there are some small waves in it. Also the sides curl a little but none distract from that movie theater experience without breaking the bank.

bluer101 is online now  
Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Da Lite Screens , Panasonic Et Lae700 Replacement Lamp For Pt Ae700u , Projectors , Elite Screens Inc
Gear in this thread - Lae700 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off