post #1771 of 1781 Old 10-22-2014, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schank View Post
Actually Draper already has a alternative to the zero edge frame which it is called there Profile frame with the React MS1000v material. In my view it is superior to Elites Cinegrey 5D and there Polarstar material as I have all 3 samples...
I have two samples of Draper screen material - the React MS1000V and the XS850E. I also have two samples of Seymour Ambient Visionaire (1.3 and 1.2) materials, two DNP's (.8 and 2.3), two BD's (.8 and 1.4), Firehawk G4, and Elite Screens Darkstar. I don't have the Cinegrey 5D or the Polarstar materials that were mentioned in your comparison.

Here's my thoughts:

Draper - these materials ranked last out of all the ones that I have. I don't like the look of them at all.

Seymour AV - the 1.3 is close to a white screen, which isn't a compliment for an ambient light screen. The 1.2 was actually a really nice screen. In the 1.2-1.5 gain range, it was my second favorite. However, both screens scratch really easily.

DNP - these materials are outstanding and at the top of my ratings. Very scratch resistant, great off-angle (even the 2.3), and nice color and contrast. However, I've always wished for DNP to provide a screen material that was somewhere between the DNP .8 and the DNP 2.3 - the 1.2-1.5 range.

BD - The BD 1.4 has the gain I desire, but I don't like the off-angle viewing - it's really bad. I can't live with it.

FH G4 - just OK.

Darkstar - my favorite screen. It's in the gain range that I desire, and like the DNP, it's scratch resistant, and it has great color and contrast. The contrast is probably the best of all the screen samples. The blacks are nearly the same as the .8 DNP, and the whites are brighter than the BD 1.4. This is what I wanted from DNP, and Elite Screens has provided it. One word of caution - the sample has to be turned on its side. Apparently, someone made a mistake when cutting the material for the samples. If you don't turn it on its side, the off-angle will be the worst of any screen you will ever see. Turn it on its side, and you'll hopefully see all the positives that I've noted, along with very good off-angle performance (like the DNP's). For me, it's the winner in this category of screens.

Thanks,
Dave
mishari84 likes this.

FOR SALE: Wireworld Platinum 6 1M HDMI Cable. Originally $1000, selling for $500 obo. Please PM me, if interested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1772 of 1781 Old 10-22-2014, 06:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripplesixty View Post
Well I contacted Elite and got an RMA for a new screen. They shipped out the new one vai FedEx right away (thanks Elite). I just got it installed the other day and surprised to see that the replacement screen seems to have its own problems. I'll try to include pictures. I apologize for the camera phone pics but it's all I have at the moment. Sadly there appears to be a large vertical band on the left edge of the screen, clearly visible in the pictures. There are also a series of horizontal bands that are much less apparent, but still visible near the bottom of the screen. There are no physical blemishes on the screen. I'm wondering if these bands will slowly go away as the material stretches and settles or if this is a reason to dump the Elite Cine Grey 5D all together? Two bad screens in a row doesn't give me hope for ordering a 3rd. What do you guys think I should do?
I have this same issue with horizontal stripes on my designer cut CineGrey 5D. I contacted elite and after they initially told me that I definitely had a defective screen and it would be replaced, they have since backtracked and stated that the stripes/creases occur during manufacturing and that all of the material they currently have has this issue and it will never completely go away in time. They told me the only avenue I have is to go to the distributer and request a refund. I can't conceive a way that I'd ever order or recommend Elite based in this experience.

By the way the lines on my screen are evenly spaced and can be seen and felt. It looks very much like the material was folded at some point.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
post #1773 of 1781 Old 10-22-2014, 11:08 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenix14 View Post
I have this same issue with horizontal stripes on my designer cut CineGrey 5D. I contacted elite and after they initially told me that I definitely had a defective screen and it would be replaced, they have since backtracked and stated that the stripes/creases occur during manufacturing and that all of the material they currently have has this issue and it will never completely go away in time. They told me the only avenue I have is to go to the distributer and request a refund. I can't conceive a way that I'd ever order or recommend Elite based in this experience.

By the way the lines on my screen are evenly spaced and can be seen and felt. It looks very much like the material was folded at some point.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
Interesting... Thanks for replying, this is kind of saddening... I'm already on my first replacement and don't want to go through a second round. I think it's completely unacceptable for a screen to have visual imperfections, especially when they are as blatant as the banding we are seeing. This is something that should have been caught in quality control and rejected for resale. I'm guessing I'll keep the screen for the time being and upgrade to a "grown up" screen like an SI Zero Edge screen when I move into a permanent residence.

Also after 3 days, confirming what you mentioned, there seems to be no change or fading in the lines on screen.
post #1774 of 1781 Old 10-28-2014, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Someone else about a week ago tried to get a separate thread started on this but got no response, but I'll try here. Is this too good to be true:

http://www.amazon.com/Diagonal-Spect.../dp/B00MJ4WAWG

Last edited by Soxfan111111; 10-28-2014 at 10:47 AM.
post #1775 of 1781 Old 10-29-2014, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soxfan111111 View Post
Someone else about a week ago tried to get a separate thread started on this but got no response, but I'll try here. Is this too good to be true:

http://www.amazon.com/Diagonal-Spect.../dp/B00MJ4WAWG
That price lines up with the average on that screen. I recommend that people order these screens from Amazon, especially if your a prime member. They are shipped freight and I have had torn up boxes come in that I had to send back to Amazon. Also, if there are defects in the screen you can save time and just return it to Amazon. They will send out a replacement very quickly.
post #1776 of 1781 Old 10-29-2014, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by taskman View Post
That price lines up with the average on that screen. I recommend that people order these screens from Amazon, especially if your a prime member. They are shipped freight and I have had torn up boxes come in that I had to send back to Amazon. Also, if there are defects in the screen you can save time and just return it to Amazon. They will send out a replacement very quickly.
From what I've seen tab-tensioned motorized screens usually go for a couple thousand, not $424. Which makes me wonder if it's a piece of junk. As the first poster who found this noted, you can't find a review of this screen anywhere.
post #1777 of 1781 Old 10-29-2014, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does Elite have any tensioned manual screen?
post #1778 of 1781 Old 10-30-2014, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
From a price perspective Elite Screen is an Economic Friendly option for that reason. As far as I know, HTdepot.com and Elite Screens are the most affordable options. However, with the less expensive option you have more potential for issues. Which is why you want to be smart about purchasing screens, taking advantage of Amazon's return policy is one example.

I have had a few Elite Screens, non that were electric. I had a few issues but nothing major but that is just my experience though. Others have reported mixed reviews. Recently I have seen posts on Elite showing some bad experiences with warranty repair.
post #1779 of 1781 Old 10-30-2014, 11:45 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Has anyone cut the power cord on their elite screen and extending it by splicing on an extension cord? Using something like this Husky Power Tool Replacement Cord found at hardware stores.

If so, did you use 14 or 16 gauge? Home Depot has both varieties.

The power cable that comes with the screen is pretty short, doesn't reach an outlet, don't want to add a traditional extension cord as I would like to cover the cable with a "channel raceway/cord cover" and getting an electrician to add an outlet to the ceiling near the projector could be pretty pricey. I think a splice might be the best choice? Before cutting the cord on the projector though I thought I would check in here and see what others have done.
post #1780 of 1781 Old 11-02-2014, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Here's a recent interview with Elite Screens about some of their new products and advice for new screen buyers:
http://www.projectorscreen.com/blog/...-Elite-Screens
post #1781 of 1781 Old 11-03-2014, 05:09 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Need to check this website.
Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Da Lite Screens , Panasonic Et Lae700 Replacement Lamp For Pt Ae700u , Projectors , Elite Screens Inc
Gear in this thread