The official Elite screen thread. - Page 61 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #1801 of 1822 Old 01-26-2015, 02:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
planning to buy screen, what is deferens sable vc EZ frame, is screen material the same only frame different?
Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1802 of 1822 Old 01-28-2015, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
AcousticPro UHD?

Anyone have any experience with the new UHD screens from Elite? Looking for something that won't have Moire effect with my new Ben 1070 that's on order.

Currently debating Acoustically transparent vs. having the speaker below the screen.
post #1803 of 1822 Old 01-28-2015, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niloch View Post
Anyone have any experience with the new UHD screens from Elite? Looking for something that won't have Moire effect with my new Ben 1070 that's on order.

Currently debating Acoustically transparent vs. having the speaker below the screen.
Here is a thread that talks about it a little.

Best AT screen for my application?
post #1804 of 1822 Old 01-29-2015, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here is the story / review of my ELECTRIC100HT.

In the past I've used a manual Da-Lite model C that I picked up from an local University's dumpster. It had some marks from students on the screen surface, and was getting wavy, but it was good enough for ~15+ years, starting on a Barco 600, Zenith 851x, Optoma HD 70, HD 72, HD65... now finally with a HD 25e I decided it was time to upgrade.

I wanted a tab tensioned screen to prevent the wavyness I had, but I could never quite justify the purchase, until I noticed the Spectrum Tab-Tensioned series...

I knew tab tensioned screens were longer than standard screens, but after checking the dimensions, I realized that this series is even considerably longer than other tab tensioned screens. Go check the dimensions on the elite screens site for yourself and compare. Due to my room size, I could only fit in the ELECTRIC100HT, but it will give about the same usable screen width as my previous screen.

I ordered one up from overstock for ~$360 shipped. At the time, they were ~$400 on amazon (Same price as the ELECTRIC125HT), but both places have easy return policies so I figured why not.

The screen arrived 5 days later via UPS. I installed it, ran the screen down, but when I went to put it back up again the motor wouldn't shut off. I also noticed the screen seemed to be slightly higher on one side than the other, the motor seemed to hum unevenly, and there were a few nicks where the black and white sections of the screen meet.

I tried to contact elite screens tech support to see if the retraction height was adjustable without voiding the warranty, but I heard no reply, and given the other problems I had noticed, I just boxed it back up, and mailed it back for an exchange.

A week later I got a reply from elite with directions on how to adjust the screen, but by then it was too late.

A few days after that a new screen arrived via an LTL carrier. This screen was packed slightly different from the first. It had velcro straps around the screen in addition to foam. Maybe it was from a newer batch? I hung it up, and started to test it.

This screen appeared to be in much better shape than the last, everything appeared straight and there were no nicks. But again, the motor would not shut off when retracting the screen. I grabbed the manual they sent me and carefully tightened the upper limit switch by two rotations to correct the retraction. Note: While support says you can do this without voiding your warranty, the knob is under a "Warranty Void If Removed" Sticker. I suggest peeling it back with a razor blade and carefully putting it back.

Here are the instructions they sent me:
scribd.com/doc/254127805/VMAX2-Spectrum
(I can't post links because I don't have enough posts)

At this point I noticed that the screws holding the end caps on were all loose. I tightened them up, and everything seemed to be fine. The screen goes up and down quietly and stops where it should.

I can only assume that the limit switch adjustment screws, as well as the end cap screws, are shaking loose during shipping. It might be a good idea to check them all before use. And to order from a store that has easy returns....

Last edited by swap_File; 01-29-2015 at 03:04 PM.
post #1805 of 1822 Old 02-02-2015, 07:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

I'm looking at an electric elite screen, can anyone comment on the main difference between the max white FG and the cinewhite?

My (Old) Theater Build Thread
Samsung UN75-F6400 | Denon 2313CI | Def Tech BP8060 | Def Tech CS8060 | Def Tech SR8080 | Sony VPL-HW40-ES | 120" Elite Starling Tensioned
post #1806 of 1822 Old 02-04-2015, 01:49 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Hi everybody,

I bought my Elite Spectrum screen motorized, I have a few concerns.
I need to mount this to the ceiling to over lap my TV that is wall mounted it comes out about 16", the problem is when I line it up to the ceiling it does not line up to the joist for me to mount it in, I was reading that It can be mounted just to the dry wall with toggle bolts, my concern is I come home to a huge wall in my ceiling and the screen on the floor. Cant it be done or should I do something else? suggestions???

Thank you,
post #1807 of 1822 Old 02-04-2015, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlvckBox View Post
Hi everybody,

I bought my Elite Spectrum screen motorized, I have a few concerns.
I need to mount this to the ceiling to over lap my TV that is wall mounted it comes out about 16", the problem is when I line it up to the ceiling it does not line up to the joist for me to mount it in, I was reading that It can be mounted just to the dry wall with toggle bolts, my concern is I come home to a huge wall in my ceiling and the screen on the floor. Cant it be done or should I do something else? suggestions???

Thank you,
Look in my signature for media console build. Towards the end there are pictures of my screen valance. In there you will see that I used a piece of board to span the entire length of the screen case. This then allows you to mount the board to the joists while making sure your screen is where you want it. If you need any more help don't hesitate.
post #1808 of 1822 Old 02-06-2015, 07:21 PM

Location: Wherever the Army sends me. Currently: Fort Bragg, NC
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I bought an ES Spectrum Acoustically Transparent 125" electric screen in November 2014 and noticed for the last month or so, a "knocking" noise every 2-3 seconds while the screen lowers. It does not make this noise while retracting. ES customer service rep Charlie Barrentos said I needed a motor cap part, but when I asked if I would need to ship the entire screen back, he said that wouldn't be addressed until I submit the warranty form. I also noticed that my screen case has a slight bow in the middle like it could use some type of central support because it is so wide. Anyone else have experience with these two issues?
post #1809 of 1822 Old 02-07-2015, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluer101 View Post
Look in my signature for media console build. Towards the end there are pictures of my screen valance. In there you will see that I used a piece of board to span the entire length of the screen case. This then allows you to mount the board to the joists while making sure your screen is where you want it. If you need any more help don't hesitate.
I've had pictures of your projector screen set-up for a long time lol.

The guy at lowes told me the same thing, to do something similar but I have also heard that the Dry wall can carry the weight, the thing is, I am currently in a rental, now making a mount board isnt a problem, but if I can avoid it, I will, lol. unfortunately this isn't one of those trial and error thing if things go wrong, hence my question, but if nothing else is available then ill go with the mounting board.
post #1810 of 1822 Old 02-07-2015, 04:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I've had pictures of your projector screen set-up for a long time lol.

The guy at lowes told me the same thing, to do something similar but I have also heard that the Dry wall can carry the weight, the thing is, I am currently in a rental, now making a mount board isnt a problem, but if I can avoid it, I will, lol. unfortunately this isn't one of those trial and error thing if things go wrong, hence my question, but if nothing else is available then ill go with the mounting board.
Take a photo of your ceiling area.

The board is perfect because your still only using 4 screws. Wherever the board ends up in your desired position you put 2 screws up through the ceiling into the joist on the farthest you can go on each side. Just need to find the joist. Then all there is is some small holes where the screw passes through.
post #1811 of 1822 Old 02-07-2015, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinisterJ View Post
I'm looking at an electric elite screen, can anyone comment on the main difference between the max white FG and the cinewhite?
The MaxWhite and the Cinewhite are very similar in performance and gain. The MaxWhite material is thick so it can be used in non-tensioned electric screen setups and manual pull down screens.
The Cinewhite material is much thinner and smoother. It's designed to be used with tensioned electric and fixed frame screens.
post #1812 of 1822 Old 02-07-2015, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello everyone, this is my first post on these forums, I was thinking about getting the Aeon screen but can't seem to find reviews anywhere. Is there a specific reason why? If anyone DOES have it can you send me a pic showing what it looks like .. I really like it and it seems pretty cheap compared to others. I also plan on getting the ambient lighting kit for an extra $100 for aesthetics purposes .. Any complaints, reviews, answers will be appreciated
post #1813 of 1822 Old 02-10-2015, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluer101 View Post
Take a photo of your ceiling area.

The board is perfect because your still only using 4 screws. Wherever the board ends up in your desired position you put 2 screws up through the ceiling into the joist on the farthest you can go on each side. Just need to find the joist. Then all there is is some small holes where the screw passes through.
4th person to tell about this solution, will be going forward with this. I just had concerned bc the screen is pretty heavy lol.

Thank you.
post #1814 of 1822 Old 02-10-2015, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
4th person to tell about this solution, will be going forward with this. I just had concerned bc the screen is pretty heavy lol.

Thank you.

It will hold more than enough. I have my screen and valance hanging from it. I also built wood spacers to get the screen down to the right height.

Just find your joists in the ceiling and use long screws.

The board and hardware will run less than $20 and your screen will be exactly where you want it.
post #1815 of 1822 Old 02-13-2015, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by swap_File View Post
Here is the story / review of my ELECTRIC100HT.

In the past I've used a manual Da-Lite model C that I picked up from an local University's dumpster. It had some marks from students on the screen surface, and was getting wavy, but it was good enough for ~15+ years, starting on a Barco 600, Zenith 851x, Optoma HD 70, HD 72, HD65... now finally with a HD 25e I decided it was time to upgrade.

I wanted a tab tensioned screen to prevent the wavyness I had, but I could never quite justify the purchase, until I noticed the Spectrum Tab-Tensioned series...

I knew tab tensioned screens were longer than standard screens, but after checking the dimensions, I realized that this series is even considerably longer than other tab tensioned screens. Go check the dimensions on the elite screens site for yourself and compare. Due to my room size, I could only fit in the ELECTRIC100HT, but it will give about the same usable screen width as my previous screen.

I ordered one up from overstock for ~$360 shipped. At the time, they were ~$400 on amazon (Same price as the ELECTRIC125HT), but both places have easy return policies so I figured why not.

The screen arrived 5 days later via UPS. I installed it, ran the screen down, but when I went to put it back up again the motor wouldn't shut off. I also noticed the screen seemed to be slightly higher on one side than the other, the motor seemed to hum unevenly, and there were a few nicks where the black and white sections of the screen meet.

I tried to contact elite screens tech support to see if the retraction height was adjustable without voiding the warranty, but I heard no reply, and given the other problems I had noticed, I just boxed it back up, and mailed it back for an exchange.

A week later I got a reply from elite with directions on how to adjust the screen, but by then it was too late.

A few days after that a new screen arrived via an LTL carrier. This screen was packed slightly different from the first. It had velcro straps around the screen in addition to foam. Maybe it was from a newer batch? I hung it up, and started to test it.

This screen appeared to be in much better shape than the last, everything appeared straight and there were no nicks. But again, the motor would not shut off when retracting the screen. I grabbed the manual they sent me and carefully tightened the upper limit switch by two rotations to correct the retraction. Note: While support says you can do this without voiding your warranty, the knob is under a "Warranty Void If Removed" Sticker. I suggest peeling it back with a razor blade and carefully putting it back.

Here are the instructions they sent me:
scribd.com/doc/254127805/VMAX2-Spectrum
(I can't post links because I don't have enough posts)

At this point I noticed that the screws holding the end caps on were all loose. I tightened them up, and everything seemed to be fine. The screen goes up and down quietly and stops where it should.

I can only assume that the limit switch adjustment screws, as well as the end cap screws, are shaking loose during shipping. It might be a good idea to check them all before use. And to order from a store that has easy returns....
Thanks for the review! So when you say the tab-tensioned screen is longer than normal, is that included in Elite's desription? They say the 125" inch model is 61.3" tall (so about 5 feet) does that include the extra length, or is that only the "usable space?" I only have a 7 foot ceiling in my basement and I'm trying to at least be able to have a center speaker sit on the floor underneath the screen.
post #1816 of 1822 Old 02-13-2015, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taskman View Post
Other than aesthetics, the border serves to absorb excess light from the projector which results in a clean image on the screen. That said, you have an advantage with the black wall which will absorb most of the excess light. In addition, the Aeon comes with black velvet tape to add an artificial border if light overshooting is an issue. IMO, I would go with the Aeon. I love fixed frame and I have an EZFrame 120 from Elite that really looks like a work of art but the Aeon is on a whole different level. That thing is going to look slick as hell on your wall.

For sizing, I'm sure your aware seating distance matters. I have played with a few screens, 135 and 120s. As long as you have around 5ft of distance, I would go 120. I once tried 7ft and 135 inch which didn't turn out as well. For quick comparisons of screen size, use displaywars.com. I've been using that site religiously since 2006 but be warned, it often makes you think how you can fit just a couple more inches.........
Thanks for this post and link! I have an area that's 15 feet long with 7 feet high ceiling, and I was going for a 125" screen and was wondering if that was feasible in my space. I'm glad I saw your post for verification!
post #1817 of 1822 Old 02-15-2015, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godzillinois View Post
Thanks for the review! So when you say the tab-tensioned screen is longer than normal, is that included in Elite's desription? They say the 125" inch model is 61.3" tall (so about 5 feet) does that include the extra length, or is that only the "usable space?" I only have a 7 foot ceiling in my basement and I'm trying to at least be able to have a center speaker sit on the floor underneath the screen.
Longer as in, shipping length. It would likely be called the width once you hang it. The tab tensioning lines take up a lot of extra space on the spectrum tab tensioned model, more so than even other tab tensioned screens.

The stock height of the 100 inch screen from the ceiling to the bottom most point of the metal bar is about 61". The automatic stop can be adjusted upwards to almost 55" without hiding the white screen area but this may void the warranty (See the manual I attached to my previous post). Do not try to lower the screen farther than stock, this can damage the screen.

You can also just hit the stop button before the screen is all the way down, the top 6 inches of screen is black.

Keep in mind that raising the screen that close to the ceiling may cause projector keystoning especially if your projector is ceiling mounted.

Last edited by swap_File; 02-15-2015 at 11:10 AM.
post #1818 of 1822 Old 02-16-2015, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swap_File View Post
Longer as in, shipping length. It would likely be called the width once you hang it. The tab tensioning lines take up a lot of extra space on the spectrum tab tensioned model, more so than even other tab tensioned screens.

The stock height of the 100 inch screen from the ceiling to the bottom most point of the metal bar is about 61". The automatic stop can be adjusted upwards to almost 55" without hiding the white screen area but this may void the warranty (See the manual I attached to my previous post). Do not try to lower the screen farther than stock, this can damage the screen.

You can also just hit the stop button before the screen is all the way down, the top 6 inches of screen is black.

Keep in mind that raising the screen that close to the ceiling may cause projector keystoning especially if your projector is ceiling mounted.
hmmm... so the space I have is about 15 feet long (from the back wall to the viewing wall) and about 7 feet high. I really want the ELECTRIC125HT - but with a room that size should I be getting the 100" Electric Tab-tensioned screen instead? What do you guys think?
post #1819 of 1822 Old 02-16-2015, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Any tips for installing ezframe material?

so I have gone through a couple of screen returns with elite. The first was a powergain screen which had terrible banding issues, so I sent that one back and got a replacement cinewhite screen which didnt exhibit the bandings but has white spots all over the screen area. Anyway, I am expecting another cinewhite screen from them within a couple of days. My question is are there any tips on installing the screen material to the ezframe? It takes a good amount of pull on the material in order to get the tension rods in the slots. I see on the website where they advise to attach the corners of the material to the frame first and then work the remainder. Is this the preferred way?
post #1820 of 1822 Old 02-16-2015, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayteez View Post
so I have gone through a couple of screen returns with elite. The first was a powergain screen which had terrible banding issues, so I sent that one back and got a replacement cinewhite screen which didnt exhibit the bandings but has white spots all over the screen area. Anyway, I am expecting another cinewhite screen from them within a couple of days. My question is are there any tips on installing the screen material to the ezframe? It takes a good amount of pull on the material in order to get the tension rods in the slots. I see on the website where they advise to attach the corners of the material to the frame first and then work the remainder. Is this the preferred way?
Actually, i would always do it the other way around, starting at the middles and working my way to the edges. I understand Elites new frames (Ezframe2 and Sableframe2) come with new material that don't use tension rods. The material has a built in edge instead. Don't know if this new material can fit the original EZ Frame, but you should look into it.
jayteez likes this.
post #1821 of 1822 Old 02-16-2015, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben38 View Post
Actually, i would always do it the other way around, starting at the middles and working my way to the edges. I understand Elites new frames (Ezframe2 and Sableframe2) come with new material that don't use tension rods. The material has a built in edge instead. Don't know if this new material can fit the original EZ Frame, but you should look into it.
Material already on its way, so I'll just have to make it work. Just trying to find an easier way to get the new screen in without bending my fingers all to hell trying to get it to stretch into the slots.
post #1822 of 1822 Unread Today, 01:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 72
So what is the difference between Spectrum and VMAX electric screens? I read the description, even from the Elite site, and I can't figure it out...

Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Da Lite Screens , Panasonic Et Lae700 Replacement Lamp For Pt Ae700u , Projectors , Elite Screens Inc
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page