The official Elite screen thread. - Page 62 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-24-2015, 01:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
For those curious about polar star, vs darkstar 1.4 vs darkstar 0.9 I have ordered screens in all flavor, they will be here in one week for comparison.

I have tested the smaller samples of the ds 0.9 against a DNP blade 85-80 material and i nearly couldn't believe what i was seeing ,they were identical in color reproduction,angles,falloff etc.. (with the small sample from what i could see)

Ill get some pics taken soon to show if anyone interested
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2015, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by asteriskmonkey View Post
For those curious about polar star, vs darkstar 1.4 vs darkstar 0.9 I have ordered screens in all flavor, they will be here in one week for comparison.

I have tested the smaller samples of the ds 0.9 against a DNP blade 85-80 material and i nearly couldn't believe what i was seeing ,they were identical in color reproduction,angles,falloff etc.. (with the small sample from what i could see)

Ill get some pics taken soon to show if anyone interested
I'm definitely interested! I have samples of both the Darkstar .9 and 1.4, and I saw them both in person at the Elite Screens facility. I also have a sample of the DNP 08-85 material. To me, the .9 and the 08-85 are very similar, except the Darkstar .9 gets just a tad better blacks. The blacks on the Darkstar 1.4 are close to the 08-85 material, which makes for some nice pop on the 1.4 material.

Dave

FOR SALE: Wireworld Platinum 6 1M HDMI Cable. Originally $1000, selling for $500 obo. Please PM me, if interested.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles J P View Post
I'm looking for potentially some help from someone who owns a CineTension 2 120" screen. I'm looking at ceiling mounting in my basement which only has 7.5' ceilings. I am measuring from the ceiling down but I have a low, wide equipment cabinet like bluer101 just posted (mine is not quite that tall). But I'm worried the screen is going to drop so far it will be at or below the top of my equipment shelving. From shelf to ceiling I think I have 68". Elite does an "overall height" spec on their site and it says 73". Which means it WOULD drop below the top of my shelf. However, I'm wondering how much drop they have at the top when they do that measurement. Could I raise the drop and only leave like 1" of black at the top.

In other words, my real question is, what is the absolute shortest possible drop I could have from this screen from the ceiling to the very bottom of the screen, meaning to the bottom weight bar thingy. If anyone who owns this screen could help me out, I would greatly appreciate it.
I have this very same screen mtd. to the ceiling with the standard brackets. It indeed measures 73" from ceiling to bottom of weighted bar. The lowering limit is as factory set (giving the 73") and there is 4 1/2" of black at top of screen. So the max you could raise the limit would be 4", leaving 69". So if you ceiling mount, I don't think you can use it (unless you move it out far enough to clear the cabinet top.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
would anyone reccomened these screens for the w1070?
Old 04-01-2015, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmas333 View Post
would anyone reccomened these screens for the w1070?
Any screen will work with anything but its relative to surrounding materials, ambiant light level/ control of light and personal preference.

When choosing a screen there are 3 things that need to be taken into account

1)room color/light etc..
2)projector (distance, lumens)
3)screen (size,gain)

There is a relatively decent calculator on here you can use to input the distance youll be using your stuff at http://www.projectorcentral.com/proj...ulator-pro.cfm
Old 04-01-2015, 12:41 PM

Here are some screen comparisons of the Polarstar 1.3 and Darkstar 1.4 materials (I do sell these)
I took these with an Android phone, max res... You can see the amount of daylight that is flooding into the room so I took one with dark images on and some color on. you can see daytime on one of pics for reference

Projector is a Sony vpl40 from nearly 210" away 17.5 feet, so that's some pretty impressive punch to what is an otherwise washed out crappy image in the day.

Let me know if anyone wants more different shots.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	daytime_polar_start_darkstar_color.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	640041   Click image for larger version

Name:	dayshot_polarstar_darkstar_white.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	640049  
Old 04-01-2015, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Here are some screen comparisons of the Polarstar 1.3 and Darkstar 1.4 materials (I do sell these)
I took these with an Android phone, max res... You can see the amount of daylight that is flooding into the room so I took one with dark images on and some color on. you can see daytime on one of pics for reference

Projector is a Sony vpl40 from nearly 210" away 17.5 feet, so that's some pretty impressive punch to what is an otherwise washed out crappy image in the day.

Let me know if anyone wants more different shots.
Hi,

So that's what the 40" samples look like (I've been trying to get one of those for months now) A few questions, plus a request:

1) Sony vpl40 - is that a VPL-HW40ES?
2) Assuming ps 1.3 on left and ds 1.4 on right?
3) What is your subjective opinion on the pros/cons of the two screens - both for daylight viewing and night viewing?
4) For a dark scene, it would be nice to get a comparison with a more consistent image on both screens. Perhaps a star scene or something?

Thanks,
Dave

FOR SALE: Wireworld Platinum 6 1M HDMI Cable. Originally $1000, selling for $500 obo. Please PM me, if interested.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thezaks View Post
Hi,

So that's what the 40" samples look like (I've been trying to get one of those for months now) A few questions, plus a request:

1) Sony vpl40 - is that a VPL-HW40ES?
2) Assuming ps 1.3 on left and ds 1.4 on right?
3) What is your subjective opinion on the pros/cons of the two screens - both for daylight viewing and night viewing?
4) For a dark scene, it would be nice to get a comparison with a more consistent image on both screens. Perhaps a star scene or something?

Thanks,
Dave
1) yes its the vpl-hw40es
2) correct the polarstar is the left and the darkstar 1.4 is on the right (below is blackout blind white)

3) Id say this is less subjective and more scenario based, in this current test due to the position of the window the projector location, the polarstar for daytime viewing offers a much better image, the colors on the darkstar look a little richer stock though it just looks duller in full day light due to it getting wash from the front being retro-reflective as opposed to the polarstars angular reflective design.

4) Dark scenes at night.. these are really ultra hard to judge in person the ds and polarstar (with lamp set correctly) are nearly indistinguishable. Without calibration though in the dark, the darkstar gives a better overall feel to color and what i dare say may only be a few points darker black if at all even noticible (just hit the brightness down if you want even darker black levels :/ ) Ive tried the 0.9 material with this projector.. if the projector is close and iris at center screen height it works well but at nearly 14ft back its too weak for the 0.9.

I've taken some shots here, some bright some dark, all in the nighttime no lights around setting.

I should really vest in a better camera to take this, its hard to take low lux shots.

If you projector is pointing straight at screen (or within 5 degrees from iris to top of screen) the dark star material is well suited as its retro-reflective.

If you screen is lower or higher then where your mounting your projector with a greater angle (there is some < shape where your projector is further back than your seating position or vise versa) The polarstar is a great choice. The only caveat about the polarstar i found was that if you put to much light on it youll see a shimmer, it can be hard to notice or incredibly glaring dependent on how bright your projector is. After fiddling with the sony putting it into reference mode and dialing down the brightness i didn't notice anymore. I would not recommend polar star for anything over 2000 lumens (at 13.5ft!) unless you want to see shiny sparkles. (a simple rule of thumb for distance for this material is you want to have your projector=2xscreen size back.

The polarstar has an edgefree/borless option so that can be a pretty slick looking screen
Also after getting hands on with these larger samples, personally im not opposed to the velvety edges they absorb the light like a monster so those are great frames if you have a little light overshoot and they do feel quite pimp..

So what is right for the job is going to depend entirely on the environment this is going in and the end location/lumens of the projector either one of these are fantastic materials.

The msrp on the polarstar is less if cost is a factor. !
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20150401_225748.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	641353   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150401_230102.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	224.0 KB
ID:	641361   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150401_230515.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	641369  

Last edited by asteriskmonkey; 04-01-2015 at 10:08 PM. Reason: pictures missing
Old 04-07-2015, 09:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Just ordered the Elite Screens 138 Inch 2:35:1 SableFrame Acoustically Transparent Fixed Projector Screen from Amazon with "Damaged box" for 250 bucks with free prime shipping wish me luck.. Came with the AcousticPro 1080P2 screen. I might change out the screen material depending on how it looks with the 1080p2. The 1080p3 looks like like the seymour uf materiel I go a sample of in the mail. Any one know if they do the AcousticPro UHD in a fixed screen you can order? Thanks

Old 04-07-2015, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesVG81 View Post
Just ordered the Elite Screens 138 Inch 2:35:1 SableFrame Acoustically Transparent Fixed Projector Screen from Amazon with "Damaged box" for 250 bucks with free prime shipping wish me luck.. Came with the AcousticPro 1080P2 screen. I might change out the screen material depending on how it looks with the 1080p2. The 1080p3 looks like like the seymour uf materiel I go a sample of in the mail. Any one know if they do the AcousticPro UHD in a fixed screen you can order? Thanks
Yes they do a acoustic pro 4k line, that is not in the amazon stuff its in there evp line.
You can get them in standard or curved fixed frame ranging upto 230"
Old 04-09-2015, 03:18 PM

Got the screen today.. Was as said.. Brand new in the box , just the box was a little beat up. Going to try and get my false wall built tomorrow and hang the screen.

Old 04-13-2015, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bstratta View Post
http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Screens-...ct_top?ie=UTF8

this one?
or this one...

http://www.amazon.com/Homegear-120-M.../dp/B00MQD2EH6

being "low end" would I get more for my $61

So with or without bias.... is the ELite going to worth the $61 comparing the two?
Old 04-19-2015, 08:52 PM

Got my new Elite Screens 138 Inch 2:35:1 SableFrame AcousticPro 1080P2 up today. But I can see the weave like crazy. I can see perfect tiny squares all over the screen even from like 18 foot back. Like no way I can deal with this. Should it be this bad? Thought this was angled cut ? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20150419_234511.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	340.8 KB
ID:	675089   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150419_234448.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	301.7 KB
ID:	675097  

Old 04-20-2015, 05:36 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I just had my Cinegrey 120" material replaced with white to fix a hot spotting issue. The material they sent has these spots on it. Anything I can do about it? I tried warm water with a bit of dawn, and that didn't seem to do anything.

Also when I got the grey, it was difficult to assemble, but not terribly so. Getting the white to fit was like needing all of Hercules strength in your finger tips, and took me and another person over 3 hours to do. I also managed to dislocate my thumb doing the forth corner (following the instructions perfectly). I emailed Elite explaining this and asking if there was something special I could do to clean it. If not, Im going to push for a refund or credit to swap out for a tab tensioned electric pull down model.

If I end up with credit towards a tab tensioned pull down, what would be recommended from Elite? Any model lines that are bad or should be avoided? Would I even be able to get one in the $1000 range (paid about $500 for my fixed frame, and adding $500 is already more then I want to do)?
Old 04-20-2015, 05:49 AM

If you have defective material contact the supplier you bought it from they should replace it free of charge. I know dealing direct with elite ive not had issue with warrantee stuff.

A good screen sub 1k :/ That's really tough if you want quality your going to pay for it, in the 500$ range there is literally no difference on white screens vs decent blackout cloth.

If you have a bright projector, the darkstar 9 is great material, its high end though but easy to install since its all tab tensioned. if you can spend a little more north of 1k, you can get a Peregrine eFinity setup and those look pretty snappy.

Hope that helps you.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:27 AM

Quote:
If you have defective material contact the supplier you bought it from they should replace it free of charge. I know dealing direct with elite ive not had issue with warrantee stuff.

A good screen sub 1k :/ That's really tough if you want quality your going to pay for it, in the 500$ range there is literally no difference on white screens vs decent blackout cloth.

If you have a bright projector, the darkstar 9 is great material, its high end though but easy to install since its all tab tensioned. if you can spend a little more north of 1k, you can get a Peregrine eFinity setup and those look pretty snappy.

Hope that helps you.
Ive had the grey screen for a year, and just dealt with the hot spotting. Im in the process of replacing my projector from an HC2030 (went with grey to help its black level) to a 5025UB, so I got Elite to switch the material through an RMA.

I really don't want to go through setting up the fixed frame again. How far north of $1k are we talking? Im blacking out the room, and with going to a higher end HT projector, Im perfectly fine with white material for no chance of hot spotting or glimmering. I just know if I go for pull down, it has to be tensioned or the waves will drive me crazy. Are there tensioned manual screens? I don't care if I have to manually pull it down. Just as long as its flat.

My current screen is 120" 16:9. I could also use the opportunity to go 21:9, and maybe a few inches wider possibly. Would have to re-calculate the throw though (13.5" once I get the 5025UB).

EDIT: Just found this on Amazon, $559 direct from ES, anything wrong with this model?
http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Screens-...ojector+screen

Also, is the Aeon fixed frame series easy to install being Velcro? If so Id probably give that a try.

Last edited by CTM Audi; 04-20-2015 at 07:28 AM.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:11 AM

Old 04-21-2015, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello,

My name is Jaime Luna. I am the manager at Elite Screens. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience that you have encountered with the replacement material that we sent you. I'd like the opportunity to get this rectified for you once more. Under what name did you submit the warranty claim to us?

Thank you,
Jaime Luna
Old 04-21-2015, 02:56 PM

Elite called me and is inspecting a new material and sending it out. They got the SN from me of the one I was sent to make sure a different batch was sent. Hopefully it will fit the frame easier then this one did.

Last edited by CTM Audi; 04-21-2015 at 04:41 PM.
Old 04-24-2015, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Any Darkstar owners here? I've ordered the 1.4 and .9 gain samples. They seem promising.
Old 04-28-2015, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch1sox View Post
Any Darkstar owners here? I've ordered the 1.4 and .9 gain samples. They seem promising.
I have installed a darkstar 1.4, and have larger samples of polar star and darkstar, ive compared the darkstar 9 to be equal to the dnp's 85-80 material. They are solid choices.

If you have a bright projector the ds9 is a wicked choice, if you have something with weaker light output you may want to stick with the 1.4.

I put some screen shots in earlier posts.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I have installed a darkstar 1.4...
When you say "installed" is that for yourself or for someone else? Is there a reason that DS1.4 was chosen over the PolarStar?

Dave

Old 04-28-2015, 06:08 PM

Quote:
When you say "installed" is that for yourself or for someone else? Is there a reason that DS1.4 was chosen over the PolarStar?

Dave
It was for a customer, the reason the darkstar was chosen over the polarstar was due to the projector and room distance setup, although the polar star combated there daytime light levels better it was too bright to the point of hurting your eyes and some noticeable grain sparkle. It would have probably made a more ideal choice if they had a lower lumen projector due to the angular reflective nature. since they had both side and front lighting issues.

I have 40" samples of the polarstar and ds 1.4 if you where curious about some physical tests that you wanted to see.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
I have installed a darkstar 1.4, and have larger samples of polar star and darkstar, ive compared the darkstar 9 to be equal to the dnp's 85-80 material. They are solid choices.

If you have a bright projector the ds9 is a wicked choice, if you have something with weaker light output you may want to stick with the 1.4.

I put some screen shots in earlier posts.
Interesting, I have DNP samples as well so I'm looking forward to seeing my DarksStar samples when they arrive later this week.
Old Yesterday, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It was for a customer, the reason the darkstar was chosen over the polarstar was due to the projector and room distance setup, although the polar star combated there daytime light levels better it was too bright to the point of hurting your eyes and some noticeable grain sparkle. It would have probably made a more ideal choice if they had a lower lumen projector due to the angular reflective nature. since they had both side and front lighting issues.

I have 40" samples of the polarstar and ds 1.4 if you where curious about some physical tests that you wanted to see.
Thanks so much! I'm just curious now - what projector are they using with the DS1.4? Also, what projectors would you recommend for the Polarstar (with enough lumens for day time but not too much for night time) ?

Dave

Old Yesterday, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Thanks so much! I'm just curious now - what projector are they using with the DS1.4? Also, what projectors would you recommend for the Polarstar (with enough lumens for day time but not too much for night time) ?

Dave
Customer was using a Sony VPL-HW40ES while this looks good in the day (polarstar 1.3 beat a darkstar 1.4 for that scenario), night time and light controlled rooms would need dialing way back to eco mode and then some to ease your eyes for a longer viewing experience (that is a 1700 lumens projector) I would not dare anything more than 2k lumens with that material and at least mounting distance of screen away. Its a great material, I personally like the material and will probably install alot of them this year in sports bars and what not but if your super picky about any minor grain, youd be better of with a higher lumen projector and the ds9 material. on the plus Polarstar is less expensive since it dosnt have as many layers of filtering material as the darkstar.

Post a pic of where you plan to install it if you can, and where you forsee putting your projector, I can probably gauge by that what will be more ideal. Do you want to watch more stuff in the day vs night/ or some curtains in your room?
Old Yesterday, 03:58 PM
Advanced Member

Would the Sony VPL-HW40ES work well with a DS9?

Dave

Old Today, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Would the Sony VPL-HW40ES work well with a DS9?

Dave
No for day time viewing or even moderate ambiant light, its far too week for the ds9 material. a better choice would be something like the Epson PowerLite 4855WU WUXGA 3LCD.

if you have an all pitch black room and you have it set to maximum zoom/min distance from screen its fine, but then you shouldn't be paying the premium for alr materials if thats your scenario

Tags
Projection Screens , Da Lite Screens , Panasonic Et Lae700 Replacement Lamp For Pt Ae700u , Projectors , Elite Screens Inc