The official Elite screen thread. - Page 63 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #1861 of 1890 Old 05-11-2015, 08:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrabi1983 View Post
Hello Friends,

I am soon buying my Sony VPL-HW40ES projector which has 1700 Lumens. My room size is 19 feet length x 14 feet wide. Planning to buy an Elite Screen Aeon (Edge free) 135" screen. There are 2 options, one is the Regular Matt finish and the 3D Cinegrey Ambient Light rejecting material. I prefer to use the 3D Cinegrey material since I watch 3D movies but mainly 2D. With regards to the room lighting, It is about 90% light controlled room. My only worry is, if I buy the 3D Cinegrey material, Will I have a bad image during the night when I watch movies or will that be fine even in a dark room.

Thanks in Advance.

John
Keep in mind a few things - the Cinegrey "3D" will make practically no difference when viewing 3D movies compared to a normal white screen in a dark room. It is not a special material designed for 3D viewing. The material is designed to give better brightness and contrast in a room that has ambient light. Keep in mind, the light must be ambient. This screen works by only reflecting light back perpendicularly form the projector. If you shined a light on the same path that the projector's beam shines, you'll have an extremely washed out image. Light coming in from the top or sides will not be reflected back to the viewing position. Hence, the "angular light reflecting technology".

Now - this enhanced brightness and contrast MAY help a 3D movie to look a little brighter compared to a white screen if you are watching a 3D movie with some light on in the room.

In a completely dark room, this screen should be about the same as a white screen. You shouldn't have any degraded image quality if the room is dark. Perhaps other users with some more experience can provide more information on how the Cinegrey looks with the lights off, but you really shouldn't see any difference compared to a white screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1862 of 1890 Old 05-11-2015, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrabi1983 View Post
Hello Friends,

I am soon buying my Sony VPL-HW40ES projector which has 1700 Lumens. My room size is 19 feet length x 14 feet wide. Planning to buy an Elite Screen Aeon (Edge free) 135" screen. There are 2 options, one is the Regular Matt finish and the 3D Cinegrey Ambient Light rejecting material. I prefer to use the 3D Cinegrey material since I watch 3D movies but mainly 2D. With regards to the room lighting, It is about 90% light controlled room. My only worry is, if I buy the 3D Cinegrey material, Will I have a bad image during the night when I watch movies or will that be fine even in a dark room.

Thanks in Advance.

John
Keep in mind a few things - the Cinegrey "3D" will make practically no difference when viewing 3D movies compared to a normal white screen in a dark room. It is not a special material designed for 3D viewing. The material is designed to give better brightness and contrast in a room that has ambient light. Keep in mind, the light must be ambient. This screen works by only reflecting light back perpendicularly form the projector. If you shined a light on the same path that the projector's beam shines, you'll have an extremely washed out image. Light coming in from the top or sides will not be reflected back to the viewing position. Hence, the "angular light reflecting technology".

Now - this enhanced brightness and contrast MAY help a 3D movie to look a little brighter compared to a white screen if you are watching a 3D movie with some light on in the room.
post #1863 of 1890 Old 05-11-2015, 09:44 PM

Apologize for double post. Can't seem to figure out if I can delete it. Any tips?
post #1864 of 1890 Old 05-17-2015, 10:14 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Thanks for the feedback. Then I think I would go for the Cenewhite, since i have light controlled room and safe some money.
post #1865 of 1890 Old 05-18-2015, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi guys.

I'm also considering purchasing a Elite Aeon screen. The question I have is similar to the above Cinewhite vs Cinegrey. The room I'm planning to use is in a basement but 1 wall wide opens up to a open yard (3 windows and 1 glass door). I plan to have plantation shutters installed on the door and windows which will block out about 90 percent of outside light. I also do plan to paint the room's walls a matte grey and keep the ceiling mostly white. We plan to keep this room more as a living space instead of a dedicated dark theater room. I do not have plans to watch any 3D either.

My question is what do most consider "ambient light"? Or should I ask when do I choose the grey over the white?

I envision most of the watching will either have some light bleeding in from the shutters during the day or some dimmer recessed light on during the nights.

Room space is about 15 x 20.
Projector that i'm considering is a W1070 which will be ceiling mounted.
I'm considering a 120 or 135 screen but won't know until I get the projector staged.

Any recommendations would be great!

I plan to upload pictures and share the setup once things are done.
post #1866 of 1890 Old 05-18-2015, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
hy , cinegrey 3D its the same as cinegrey 5D?
post #1867 of 1890 Old 05-18-2015, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoj View Post
hy , cinegrey 3D its the same as cinegrey 5D?
Elite renamed the Cinegrey 5D. It's the same material with a new name. (Info is straight from an Elite Rep.)
post #1868 of 1890 Old 05-21-2015, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does elite not have a 106 or 110 inch option for the Aeon? That seems strange.
post #1869 of 1890 Old 05-22-2015, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
thanks ben for answer
post #1870 of 1890 Old 05-24-2015, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoj View Post
thanks ben for answer
Thanks for all of the info in this forum! Does a back lit screen affect anything?
post #1871 of 1890 Old 05-26-2015, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quick questions folks, just picked up and installed a motorized spectrum series 110 inch elite screen and thought I read something about there being a way to program a stopping point for the screen so that it doesn't roll all the way down, does anyone here know if this is correct? Thanks
post #1872 of 1890 Old 05-26-2015, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by cessna1466u View Post
Quick questions folks, just picked up and installed a motorized spectrum series 110 inch elite screen and thought I read something about there being a way to program a stopping point for the screen so that it doesn't roll all the way down, does anyone here know if this is correct? Thanks
Have not tried it but here you go.

http://www.elitescreens.com/images/p...djustments.pdf
post #1873 of 1890 Old 05-26-2015, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 190
post #1874 of 1890 Old 06-13-2015, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I have an Elite manual on the way today and I realized just now that I didn't even check if it's grey or white. So I promptly checked and I ordered the cinewhite screen . Now I'm concerned because my wall is almost an eggshell white and I'll be using a BenQ W1070. The gain is 1:1 but I'm really hoping the white in my environment won't completely destroy black levels. I'm using a Projecta screen right now which I believe is white as well and I haven't been noticing too horrible of black levels but when I go back to my ST60 I see a pretty big difference. I also hope that an Elite Manual is better than a Projecta manual screen.

post #1875 of 1890 Old 06-14-2015, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethean View Post
I have an Elite manual on the way today and I realized just now that I didn't even check if it's grey or white. So I promptly checked and I ordered the cinewhite screen . Now I'm concerned because my wall is almost an eggshell white and I'll be using a BenQ W1070. The gain is 1:1 but I'm really hoping the white in my environment won't completely destroy black levels. I'm using a Projecta screen right now which I believe is white as well and I haven't been noticing too horrible of black levels but when I go back to my ST60 I see a pretty big difference. I also hope that an Elite Manual is better than a Projecta manual screen.
You made the right choice, worry not. With my second Elite Screen, I went Cinegray. I thought my walls were too white and my projector was too bright. When I threw up the screen and turned on my PS3, I was immediately disappointed. The biggest issue, there are no whites.

For example, I watched an episode of the Simpsons and their eyes were a very light grey. You lose those bright whites which was the big disappointment. I did more research and my understanding is grey screens are from a different era. When projectors had very poor contrast which resulted in very poor black levels. With modern projectors that is no longer a major issue.

You should really enjoy the new screen.
post #1876 of 1890 Old 06-14-2015, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by taskman View Post
You made the right choice, worry not. With my second Elite Screen, I went Cinegray. I thought my walls were too white and my projector was too bright. When I threw up the screen and turned on my PS3, I was immediately disappointed. The biggest issue, there are no whites.

For example, I watched an episode of the Simpsons and their eyes were a very light grey. You lose those bright whites which was the big disappointment. I did more research and my understanding is grey screens are from a different era. When projectors had very poor contrast which resulted in very poor black levels. With modern projectors that is no longer a major issue.

You should really enjoy the new screen.
You're absolutely right! I do really enjoy it. And there doesn't seem to be as much light going through it thanks to the black back on it. I do see a few waves. I'm not sure if that's normal when you first get the screen up or if it's just guaranteed to happen on any pull down that isn't tensioned.

post #1877 of 1890 Old 06-14-2015, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You're absolutely right! I do really enjoy it. And there doesn't seem to be as much light going through it thanks to the black back on it. I do see a few waves. I'm not sure if that's normal when you first get the screen up or if it's just guaranteed to happen on any pull down that isn't tensioned.
Yes, some wrinkles and edge curling is normal but after awhile I don't notice it.
post #1878 of 1890 Old 06-14-2015, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Swapping out standard Elite for AT material

Hi all -- I have a standard 135" Elite Screen and I love it, but I'm already looking to upgrade!

I want to build a speaker array directly behind the screen so I'll obviously need an AT screen. My question is, can I simply buy the 135" AT material and swap it in? I can't remember how I put the screen together to begin with (it was 3:00am!) so I'm hoping this is a possibility so I can reuse the great frame that I already have.

Current 135" screen: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007PM9WYG
New 135" AT material: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J05QFFA

post #1879 of 1890 Old 06-16-2015, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Great, glad to hear you like it! A few waves are normal and shouldn't be noticeable when playing movies. If they are, you may want to contact Elite Customer Service.

One tip I can give you is try not to have any large temperature changes in the room with the screen. My first screen was non-tensioned and I kept it at roughly the same temp for over a year and never had any waves. Most materials are sensitive to temperature changes that happen over short periods such as day/night. Waves can also develop due to other reasons but overall you shouldn't need to worry too much as long as you take care of the screen.
post #1880 of 1890 Old 06-16-2015, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsonblue View Post
Hi all -- I have a standard 135" Elite Screen and I love it, but I'm already looking to upgrade!

I want to build a speaker array directly behind the screen so I'll obviously need an AT screen. My question is, can I simply buy the 135" AT material and swap it in? I can't remember how I put the screen together to begin with (it was 3:00am!) so I'm hoping this is a possibility so I can reuse the great frame that I already have.

Current 135" screen: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007PM9WYG
New 135" AT material: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J05QFFA
I would be curious to know as well as I would like to go Acoustic at my house. I have had to replace screen material on my Elite screens in the past, they usually ship you a large diameter PVC pipe with the screen material rolled inside. You should probably contact Elite, they have web chat support which should give a quick answer.
post #1881 of 1890 Old 06-18-2015, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Where can I purchase a Elite Screens Aeon Cinegrey screen? I can't find one anywhere. Only Aeon Cinewhite shows on my Google search.
post #1882 of 1890 Old 06-20-2015, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This is my 110" Lunette 2. I switched from a Sliver Ticket screen, and love it!!!! Using a Sony HW40ES projector

cessna1466u likes this.
post #1883 of 1890 Old 06-21-2015, 12:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swolephile View Post
Where can I purchase a Elite Screens Aeon Cinegrey screen? I can't find one anywhere. Only Aeon Cinewhite shows on my Google search.
Anyone?
post #1884 of 1890 Old 06-25-2015, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Since no one would help me out in this thread, I tried contacting the sales dept at Elite Screens. I've called seven times today and left multiple messages on the voicemail for the sales dept as well as with a customer service representative. No one will call me back. No one will answer the phone. Crappy customer service.

I can say so far I am not impressed with this company at all. Heaven forbid I need to get in touch with someone there for a replacement down the road or if I have any other issues.

Pro Cinema Advocate

Anti-EQ "Ooh baby I like it raw"

So much gear, so little time.
post #1885 of 1890 Old 06-25-2015, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swolephile View Post
Since no one would help me out in this thread, I tried contacting the sales dept at Elite Screens. I've called seven times today and left multiple messages on the voicemail for the sales dept as well as with a customer service representative. No one will call me back. No one will answer the phone. Crappy customer service.

I can say so far I am not impressed with this company at all. Heaven forbid I need to get in touch with someone there for a replacement down the road or if I have any other issues.
I've given up on Elite Screens. I've tried and tried with Jeff Klida, but he just doesn't respond. And to think, this is on the "sales" side of things. Can you imagine what it would be like to have one of their products and try to get Support??

Dave
post #1886 of 1890 Old 06-25-2015, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

I have emailed them before and have gotten a response.
post #1887 of 1890 Old 06-25-2015, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thezaks View Post
I've given up on Elite Screens. I've tried and tried with Jeff Klida, but he just doesn't respond. And to think, this is on the "sales" side of things. Can you imagine what it would be like to have one of their products and try to get Support??

Dave
I agree with you. I was looking to get a edge free Aeon screen with Cinegrey material. However these guys don't even bother to answer the phone to make a sale. They don't call anyone back. They will only respond via chat or email. F*cking hideous customer service. Im sure they will completely ignore a customer after the sale.
post #1888 of 1890 Old 06-26-2015, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

I finally received a call back from a Elite Screens sales rep this morning. He stated the 120" edge free AEON screen with Cinegrey 5d material will be approximately $720. The led kit will be an additional $80 however if you purchase the AEON screen first, there will be a mfr rebate available where the LED kit will be for free.

This will be an awesome deal for this product. Check out the video for CES'15 AEON demo below:

http://www.elitescreens.com/index.ph...rticle?id=2171

Pro Cinema Advocate

Anti-EQ "Ooh baby I like it raw"

So much gear, so little time.
post #1889 of 1890 Old 06-27-2015, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Anyone use the acoustic pro 3 screens.

http://www.elitescreenshop.com/ezFra...h1-a1080p3.htm

looking at that one. I can get a seymore for about the same price, didnt know if this would be any better ?
post #1890 of 1890 Unread Today, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all. I've got a new Sony 40ES on the way. Moving into a new home in July.

Room is 20x20, but portion of back wall is taken by adjacent room, so let's say 20 wide by 18 deep. I can mount PJ at around 14-15ft. As you can see, walls are currently tan. I'm thinking I will paint them a flat garnet/crimson red when I move in, but ceilings may stay white. Large window shown is where screen will go. I will have blinds, blackout curtains and elite screen with black backing.

Looking at Electric type so I can use the large window to entertain when not watching.

Question, I can't tell any difference from Spectrum, Spectrum2, VMAX, or VMAX2. Anyone have any ideas?
Looking somewhere around 120" from projectorcentral. So spectrum would be 125", Spectrum 2 looks only white casing, VMAX2 would be 120" or 135". VMAX is on clearance, but not sure what's different.

I'm assuming 16:9 AR since that's what my TVs are and mostly watch satellite, Netflix, or DVDs.

On the VMAX2, not sure what the -E24 suffix is for. Descriptions are exactly the same.
VMAX120UWH2
VMAX120UWH2-E24
Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Da Lite Screens , Panasonic Et Lae700 Replacement Lamp For Pt Ae700u , Projectors , Elite Screens Inc
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page