The official Elite screen thread. - Page 63 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1861 of 1869 Old 05-11-2015, 08:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrabi1983 View Post
Hello Friends,

I am soon buying my Sony VPL-HW40ES projector which has 1700 Lumens. My room size is 19 feet length x 14 feet wide. Planning to buy an Elite Screen Aeon (Edge free) 135" screen. There are 2 options, one is the Regular Matt finish and the 3D Cinegrey Ambient Light rejecting material. I prefer to use the 3D Cinegrey material since I watch 3D movies but mainly 2D. With regards to the room lighting, It is about 90% light controlled room. My only worry is, if I buy the 3D Cinegrey material, Will I have a bad image during the night when I watch movies or will that be fine even in a dark room.

Thanks in Advance.

John
Keep in mind a few things - the Cinegrey "3D" will make practically no difference when viewing 3D movies compared to a normal white screen in a dark room. It is not a special material designed for 3D viewing. The material is designed to give better brightness and contrast in a room that has ambient light. Keep in mind, the light must be ambient. This screen works by only reflecting light back perpendicularly form the projector. If you shined a light on the same path that the projector's beam shines, you'll have an extremely washed out image. Light coming in from the top or sides will not be reflected back to the viewing position. Hence, the "angular light reflecting technology".

Now - this enhanced brightness and contrast MAY help a 3D movie to look a little brighter compared to a white screen if you are watching a 3D movie with some light on in the room.

In a completely dark room, this screen should be about the same as a white screen. You shouldn't have any degraded image quality if the room is dark. Perhaps other users with some more experience can provide more information on how the Cinegrey looks with the lights off, but you really shouldn't see any difference compared to a white screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1862 of 1869 Old 05-11-2015, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrabi1983 View Post
Hello Friends,

I am soon buying my Sony VPL-HW40ES projector which has 1700 Lumens. My room size is 19 feet length x 14 feet wide. Planning to buy an Elite Screen Aeon (Edge free) 135" screen. There are 2 options, one is the Regular Matt finish and the 3D Cinegrey Ambient Light rejecting material. I prefer to use the 3D Cinegrey material since I watch 3D movies but mainly 2D. With regards to the room lighting, It is about 90% light controlled room. My only worry is, if I buy the 3D Cinegrey material, Will I have a bad image during the night when I watch movies or will that be fine even in a dark room.

Thanks in Advance.

John
Keep in mind a few things - the Cinegrey "3D" will make practically no difference when viewing 3D movies compared to a normal white screen in a dark room. It is not a special material designed for 3D viewing. The material is designed to give better brightness and contrast in a room that has ambient light. Keep in mind, the light must be ambient. This screen works by only reflecting light back perpendicularly form the projector. If you shined a light on the same path that the projector's beam shines, you'll have an extremely washed out image. Light coming in from the top or sides will not be reflected back to the viewing position. Hence, the "angular light reflecting technology".

Now - this enhanced brightness and contrast MAY help a 3D movie to look a little brighter compared to a white screen if you are watching a 3D movie with some light on in the room.
post #1863 of 1869 Old 05-11-2015, 09:44 PM

Apologize for double post. Can't seem to figure out if I can delete it. Any tips?
post #1864 of 1869 Old 05-17-2015, 10:14 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Thanks for the feedback. Then I think I would go for the Cenewhite, since i have light controlled room and safe some money.
post #1865 of 1869 Old 05-18-2015, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi guys.

I'm also considering purchasing a Elite Aeon screen. The question I have is similar to the above Cinewhite vs Cinegrey. The room I'm planning to use is in a basement but 1 wall wide opens up to a open yard (3 windows and 1 glass door). I plan to have plantation shutters installed on the door and windows which will block out about 90 percent of outside light. I also do plan to paint the room's walls a matte grey and keep the ceiling mostly white. We plan to keep this room more as a living space instead of a dedicated dark theater room. I do not have plans to watch any 3D either.

My question is what do most consider "ambient light"? Or should I ask when do I choose the grey over the white?

I envision most of the watching will either have some light bleeding in from the shutters during the day or some dimmer recessed light on during the nights.

Room space is about 15 x 20.
Projector that i'm considering is a W1070 which will be ceiling mounted.
I'm considering a 120 or 135 screen but won't know until I get the projector staged.

Any recommendations would be great!

I plan to upload pictures and share the setup once things are done.
post #1866 of 1869 Old 05-18-2015, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
hy , cinegrey 3D its the same as cinegrey 5D?
post #1867 of 1869 Old 05-18-2015, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoj View Post
hy , cinegrey 3D its the same as cinegrey 5D?
Elite renamed the Cinegrey 5D. It's the same material with a new name. (Info is straight from an Elite Rep.)
post #1868 of 1869 Old Yesterday, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does elite not have a 106 or 110 inch option for the Aeon? That seems strange.
post #1869 of 1869 Old Today, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
thanks ben for answer
Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Da Lite Screens , Panasonic Et Lae700 Replacement Lamp For Pt Ae700u , Projectors , Elite Screens Inc
Gear in this thread - Lae700 by PriceGrabber.com