The official Elite screen thread. - Page 64 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 11Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1891 of 1904 Old 07-03-2015, 11:14 AM
Newbie
 
havfrue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cali
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just ordered a 110" EZframe2 for our new home theater room.

Can someone with that screen tell me the distance (when mounted) from the wall to the screen itself?

We have an edge behind where its going that's protruding 3/4" from the wall, so I need to find out if I have to MacGyver a wood block or something to have it hanging an inch or so from the wall.

Cheers

Last edited by havfrue; 07-03-2015 at 01:18 PM.
havfrue is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1892 of 1904 Old 07-03-2015, 10:30 PM
Member
 
mstang1988's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ALR 110" for PF1500

Ordered a PF1500 for my new home theater this weekend. Was considering the Cinegrey5D ALR screen. My home theater is currently unpainted but will be painted. The concern is more around when the wife views video she won't want it totally dark.

Will the 110" work well and secondly, anybody have a recommendation on an authorized reseller?
mstang1988 is offline  
post #1893 of 1904 Old 07-04-2015, 05:12 AM
Senior Member
 
reisb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 329
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by reisb View Post
Hello all. I've got a new Sony 40ES on the way. Moving into a new home in July.

Room is 20x20, but portion of back wall is taken by adjacent room, so let's say 20 wide by 18 deep. I can mount PJ at around 14-15ft. As you can see, walls are currently tan. I'm thinking I will paint them a flat garnet/crimson red when I move in, but ceilings may stay white. Large window shown is where screen will go. I will have blinds, blackout curtains and elite screen with black backing.

Looking at Electric type so I can use the large window to entertain when not watching.

Question, I can't tell any difference from Spectrum, Spectrum2, VMAX, or VMAX2. Anyone have any ideas?
Looking somewhere around 120" from projectorcentral. So spectrum would be 125", Spectrum 2 looks only white casing, VMAX2 would be 120" or 135". VMAX is on clearance, but not sure what's different.

I'm assuming 16:9 AR since that's what my TVs are and mostly watch satellite, Netflix, or DVDs?

On the VMAX2, not sure what the -E24 suffix is for? Descriptions are exactly the same.
VMAX120UWH2
VMAX120UWH2-E24

This is my first PJ, so anything else I need to look at? Tension type, etc?

Can anyone help or let me know where I can get help?
reisb is online now  
post #1894 of 1904 Old 07-04-2015, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Swolephile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,065
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Looks like the edge free Aeon screen with Cinegrey 3D are coming in and available for purchase now.

http://m.focusedtechnology.com/elite-ar120dhd3.html
Swolephile is online now  
post #1895 of 1904 Old Yesterday, 08:30 AM
Senior Member
 
taskman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by havfrue View Post
Just ordered a 110" EZframe2 for our new home theater room.

Can someone with that screen tell me the distance (when mounted) from the wall to the screen itself?

We have an edge behind where its going that's protruding 3/4" from the wall, so I need to find out if I have to MacGyver a wood block or something to have it hanging an inch or so from the wall.

Cheers
I just sold my screen and I'm waiting on a new Elite screen, so I can't do a measurement. I can tell you that the main concern I would have is the length of the edge. If it runs the length of the screen, it will PROBABLY hit the stabilizer bar that is vertical and is placed in the center of the screen.
taskman is offline  
post #1896 of 1904 Old Yesterday, 08:46 AM
Senior Member
 
taskman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swolephile View Post
Looks like the edge free Aeon screen with Cinegrey 3D are coming in and available for purchase now.

http://m.focusedtechnology.com/elite-ar120dhd3.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by reisb View Post
Can anyone help or let me know where I can get help?
You have a good space to work with. I would recommend giving Elite Screens a call about the specific differences on some of those screens. Tension and Non-Tension is a personal choice. From my experience, fast temperature changes during the day/night can cause waves. If temperature remains stable, you likely do not need tension.
taskman is offline  
post #1897 of 1904 Old Yesterday, 08:55 AM
Senior Member
 
taskman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstang1988 View Post
Ordered a PF1500 for my new home theater this weekend. Was considering the Cinegrey5D ALR screen. My home theater is currently unpainted but will be painted. The concern is more around when the wife views video she won't want it totally dark.

Will the 110" work well and secondly, anybody have a recommendation on an authorized reseller?
Without knowing the distance to the screen from the projector, I don't know how well it will work with the screen. I reccomend running your projector through the projector calculator at projectorcentral.com. Link

I took a quick look at the PF1500 which is an interesting projector. I would highly recommend not getting Cinegrey, your projector does not have the lumens to power a grey projector screen. However, don't worry about that as your projector is fine and a Cinewhite screen will look excellent. I try to steer people away from grey screens, they are a deprecated technology that was created to assist projectors with low contrast capabilities. Higher end projectors with large amount of lumens can work with grey screens depending on the use case. I also have personally tested an Elite Screen cinegrey and returned it as the whites become dull.
taskman is offline  
post #1898 of 1904 Old Yesterday, 11:24 AM
Newbie
 
havfrue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cali
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by taskman View Post
I just sold my screen and I'm waiting on a new Elite screen, so I can't do a measurement. I can tell you that the main concern I would have is the length of the edge. If it runs the length of the screen, it will PROBABLY hit the stabilizer bar that is vertical and is placed in the center of the screen.
Thanks, but its not thar large an edge - its the leftovers of a lamp mount, which I want to leave for now. Just need to know if there's spacing, but I'm going to mount the screen on a couple 3/4" wood blocks so it'll leave space.
havfrue is offline  
post #1899 of 1904 Old Yesterday, 12:36 PM
Member
 
mstang1988's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by taskman View Post
Without knowing the distance to the screen from the projector, I don't know how well it will work with the screen. I reccomend running your projector through the projector calculator at projectorcentral.com. Link

I took a quick look at the PF1500 which is an interesting projector. I would highly recommend not getting Cinegrey, your projector does not have the lumens to power a grey projector screen. However, don't worry about that as your projector is fine and a Cinewhite screen will look excellent. I try to steer people away from grey screens, they are a deprecated technology that was created to assist projectors with low contrast capabilities. Higher end projectors with large amount of lumens can work with grey screens depending on the use case. I also have personally tested an Elite Screen cinegrey and returned it as the whites become dull.
Was yours the Cinegrey 5D for Cinegrey? I was considering the 5D. With a 1.5 gain and ALR I would think it would be brighter than the white but not sure.
mstang1988 is offline  
post #1900 of 1904 Old Yesterday, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Swolephile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,065
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by taskman View Post
Without knowing the distance to the screen from the projector, I don't know how well it will work with the screen. I reccomend running your projector through the projector calculator at projectorcentral.com. Link

I took a quick look at the PF1500 which is an interesting projector. I would highly recommend not getting Cinegrey, your projector does not have the lumens to power a grey projector screen. However, don't worry about that as your projector is fine and a Cinewhite screen will look excellent. I try to steer people away from grey screens, they are a deprecated technology that was created to assist projectors with low contrast capabilities. Higher end projectors with large amount of lumens can work with grey screens depending on the use case. I also have personally tested an Elite Screen cinegrey and returned it as the whites become dull.
What about people using their projector in a room with some lights on who need a ALR screen? Also, I used a LF PF 1500 on a silver ALR screen and it worked fine for sizes 80" to 110". But no bigger.
Swolephile is online now  
post #1901 of 1904 Old Yesterday, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member
 
ben38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 905
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstang1988 View Post
Was yours the Cinegrey 5D for Cinegrey? I was considering the 5D. With a 1.5 gain and ALR I would think it would be brighter than the white but not sure.
I've used the Cinegrey 5D with the Epson 8350 and the EpsonHc3000.
When i replaced my Vapex 1.1 gain white screen with the much darker Cinegrey 5d, I immediately recognised that the picture was far less washed out in ambient light situations, with much better blacks.
That's the great strength of an ALR screen.
However, compared to my former white screen, the ALR picture seemed brighter when seated at the center, but just didn't quite have the Pop of color the white screen had. Readjusting the projector for the grey screen helped a lot. I couldn't put my finger on it (The whites always seemed white to me) but i always felt i was missing something when the room was dark.

After painting my room a much darker brown color, I was getting the feeling that i would go back to a white screen. Before i made a decision on a new screen, I changed out my Epson 8350 with the much brighter Hc3000.
HOLY SMOKES!!! What a difference. The extra brightness of the Hc3000 really brought the screen to life. Even with ambient light, I now had very punchy colors, very white whites, and excellent blacks. With the right projector, the Cinegrey5d is a fantastic screen, and my feelings of going back to a white screen are gone.

When i measured the gain of the screen with my friend's light meter, I came to the conclusion that, even though the screen has good gain at the center,(about 1.35) the overall average gain of the screen is about 0.9. It really does need a bright projector to perform at its best. (And of course, a long throw and proper angle of projection)

Now as to how the pf1500 would perform with the Cinegrey5d? I really don't feel it's a good match. With the pf1500, i would go for a higher gain white screen, and do everything i could to control the light in the room.
mstang1988 likes this.
ben38 is offline  
post #1902 of 1904 Old Yesterday, 03:02 PM
Senior Member
 
reisb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 329
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by taskman View Post
You have a good space to work with. I would recommend giving Elite Screens a call about the specific differences on some of those screens. Tension and Non-Tension is a personal choice. From my experience, fast temperature changes during the day/night can cause waves. If temperature remains stable, you likely do not need tension.
Thanks. I don't expect more than 2-3 degrees temp change as it's just a bonus room in home.

I was concerned as people said Elitescreens customer service it terrible and never answer or call back.
reisb is online now  
post #1903 of 1904 Old Yesterday, 03:13 PM
Senior Member
 
reisb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 329
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by taskman View Post
You have a good space to work with. I would recommend giving Elite Screens a call about the specific differences on some of those screens. Tension and Non-Tension is a personal choice. From my experience, fast temperature changes during the day/night can cause waves. If temperature remains stable, you likely do not need tension.
What about Aspect Ratio? Go with 16:9 since that's what most TVs are? I mainly watch movies from Satellite, Netflix, Chromecast, and PS4 for Blu Rays and games.
reisb is online now  
post #1904 of 1904 Old Today, 12:17 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Mississauga, ON, Canada
Posts: 328
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben38 View Post
The extra brightness of the Hc3000 really brought the screen to life. Even with ambient light, I now had very punchy colors, very white whites, and excellent blacks. With the right projector, the Cinegrey5d is a fantastic screen, and my feelings of going back to a white screen are gone.
How noticeable are the sparkles and "patterns" caused by the light reflecting particles?

Is viewing angle an issue with the Cinegrey 5D?
Dominic Chan is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Da Lite Screens , Panasonic Et Lae700 Replacement Lamp For Pt Ae700u , Projectors , Elite Screens Inc
Gear in this thread



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off