The official Elite screen thread. - Page 65 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1921 of 1927 Old Yesterday, 03:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
aeon cinegrey 3D will be available in late August , and from what I saw here http://www.elitescreens.com/index.ph...ecting-screens

cinegrey 3D it is different from cinegrey 5D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1922 of 1927 Old Yesterday, 10:03 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo. View Post
I am on the verge of ordering a TE125C-E20 screen from Elite. This is, of course, the 125" diagonal, 2.35:1 aspect ratio Cinetension 2 screen. I will be using it with an Epson 8350 projector. I'm replacing an Elite 100" diagonal original Cinetension screen in the 16:9 aspect ratio. Before actually ordering, though, I'm making one last check that with a 2.35:1 screen, 2.35:1 aspect ratio movies will fill the screen, but I'll have the black bars on the sides when watching a movie filmed in 1.78:1, or watching HD TV in 16:9. Correct?
I have that exact same screen (same size & aspect ratio). Just remember yes when projecting a 2.35 movie you will project black bars above and below your screen on the wall, but if your projector and walls are dark enough you won't see the bars at all. Also, when watching something in 1.78 you will have to re-zoom your image to a smaller size and refocus, so a projector like the 8350 won't be good to be paired with this screen unless you can reach the projector each time you want to watch something in 1.78/2.35. Also yes, watching 1.78 you will have black bars on the sides of the image projected. I would recommend getting a Panasonic AE8000u or a JVC projector with lens memory, you then will be able to change aspect ratios and zoom with a push of a button on the remote.

If you don't mind re-zooming and focusing each time you watch a movie in different aspect ratios compared to 1.78 tv/games, then you are fine using this screen and your projector you chose. If the projector will be ceiling mounted away from you, then you will need to choose a different screen aspect ratio 1.78 or a different projector with lens memory with motorized zoom/focus.

Displays: JVC RS4910 Projector | 125-inch 2.35:1 Elite Cinetension2 Screen | Panasonic 58V10 Plasma TV
Sources: Yamaha RX-A800 | Microsoft XBOX One | Dish Hopper | Intel i5 Nuc w/ Openelec | Behringer iNuke 3000DSP
Speakers: DIY Fusion-12 Tempest (L/R) | DIY 88-Special (C) | DIY Volt-10 Speakers (Surr L/R) | Subwoofers: MartyCube w/ Stereo Integrity SI-18 X 2
post #1923 of 1927 Old Yesterday, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoj View Post
aeon cinegrey 3D will be available in late August , and from what I saw here http://www.elitescreens.com/index.ph...ecting-screens

cinegrey 3D it is different from cinegrey 5D
Aeon screens with Cinegrey 3D are showing for sale now at focused technology.com

http://m.focusedtechnology.com/elite-ar120dhd3.html?utm_source=pricegrabber&utm_medium= ppc
post #1924 of 1927 Old Today, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoneyman2323 View Post
I have that exact same screen (same size & aspect ratio). Just remember yes when projecting a 2.35 movie you will project black bars above and below your screen on the wall, but if your projector and walls are dark enough you won't see the bars at all. Also, when watching something in 1.78 you will have to re-zoom your image to a smaller size and refocus, so a projector like the 8350 won't be good to be paired with this screen unless you can reach the projector each time you want to watch something in 1.78/2.35. Also yes, watching 1.78 you will have black bars on the sides of the image projected. I would recommend getting a Panasonic AE8000u or a JVC projector with lens memory, you then will be able to change aspect ratios and zoom with a push of a button on the remote.

If you don't mind re-zooming and focusing each time you watch a movie in different aspect ratios compared to 1.78 tv/games, then you are fine using this screen and your projector you chose. If the projector will be ceiling mounted away from you, then you will need to choose a different screen aspect ratio 1.78 or a different projector with lens memory with motorized zoom/focus.
Thanks, dmoneyman. You mentioned one thing, though, that is the thing that has me confused. You said that when watching a 2.35 movie, I'll have black bars above and below the screen. I was under the impression that the black bars that I now have, watching a 2.35 movie on my 16:9 screen do not contain any encoded video information. That is, the black bars represent the absence of an image. So, for instance, when I enlarge the height of the 2.35 image on the 16:9 screen, the black bars "disappear" rather than just get extended beyond the screen. I hope I'm explaining this in a way that makes sense. But this is exactly what has me confused. Thanks again.
post #1925 of 1927 Old Today, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo. View Post
Thanks, dmoneyman. You mentioned one thing, though, that is the thing that has me confused. You said that when watching a 2.35 movie, I'll have black bars above and below the screen. I was under the impression that the black bars that I now have, watching a 2.35 movie on my 16:9 screen do not contain any encoded video information. That is, the black bars represent the absence of an image. So, for instance, when I enlarge the height of the 2.35 image on the 16:9 screen, the black bars "disappear" rather than just get extended beyond the screen. I hope I'm explaining this in a way that makes sense. But this is exactly what has me confused. Thanks again.
The black bars that you see when watching a 2.35 movie on a 16:9 screen don't represent absence of image...it's actual black video as part of the picture information. I would say 99% of the time you won't have anything in that area, but there are some weird exceptions (Life of Pi, e.g.).

Epson 5020UB (won on AVSForum!) on Elite Sable 16:9 100", Oppo BDP-83 / 93 (ISO firmware) / 103D, Dune HD Base 3.0, Darblet, Sony MDR-DS7500 Wireless Surround Headphones & Onkyo TX-SR707
post #1926 of 1927 Old Today, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherom View Post
The black bars that you see when watching a 2.35 movie on a 16:9 screen don't represent absence of image...it's actual black video as part of the picture information. I would say 99% of the time you won't have anything in that area, but there are some weird exceptions (Life of Pi, e.g.).
Correct, so when you project an image (movie) in 2.35 format, it's really a 16:9 image that is projector but there are black bars on top and below the movie image so you projector will really be overshooting the 2.35 screen above and below when watching a movie. That's why you will need to re-zoom and re-focus everytime you change between 16:9 and 2.35:1.

Displays: JVC RS4910 Projector | 125-inch 2.35:1 Elite Cinetension2 Screen | Panasonic 58V10 Plasma TV
Sources: Yamaha RX-A800 | Microsoft XBOX One | Dish Hopper | Intel i5 Nuc w/ Openelec | Behringer iNuke 3000DSP
Speakers: DIY Fusion-12 Tempest (L/R) | DIY 88-Special (C) | DIY Volt-10 Speakers (Surr L/R) | Subwoofers: MartyCube w/ Stereo Integrity SI-18 X 2
post #1927 of 1927 Old Today, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Got it, thank you. That is where my confusion was coming from. I've read info from so many different sources and, in a couple, it said that the black bars were not part of the image but were actually the absence of an image. Looks like I'll be sticking with my current screen or if I do decide to go with a new screen, sticking with a 16:9. Thanks, guys.
Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Da Lite Screens , Panasonic Et Lae700 Replacement Lamp For Pt Ae700u , Projectors , Elite Screens Inc
Gear in this thread