The official Elite screen thread. - Page 66 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1951 of 1974 Old 08-18-2015, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbland View Post
Second Bump...
I read this entire thread and could not get a consistent read on the CineTension2 screens...It seems like some like them and some have terrible issues...
Is there anyone with recent experience with one?

I'm seriously considering:
Elite Screens TE125C-E20 CineTension2 Series Projector Screen - 2.35:1 - 125" Diagonal (115.2"W x 49.0"H) - CineWhite Screen Material

After seeing samples of the Cinewhite, it seems to "bleed" slightly more than the DaLite HP Progressive materials. I wonder if this is to disperse the image to a wider field of view.
Any thoughts? I could use some AVS feedback.
Thanks
What exactly are you looking for? I have a Cinetension2 screen and it's been great. I can't comment on the Cinewhite screen material, but on anything else about the screen I can probably answer a few questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1952 of 1974 Old 08-19-2015, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzz092888 View Post
What exactly are you looking for? I have a Cinetension2 screen and it's been great. I can't comment on the Cinewhite screen material, but on anything else about the screen I can probably answer a few questions.
Thanks fuzz. I appreciate your response. It's more about a larger sample size...
The few online reviews I have found are very mixed. Either people (like you) have no issues and are happy. Or...horror stories about waves, motor failures, customer service problems, etc.
I understand that there will always be some unhappy campers, but???.
Here at AVS, I have always had valuable incite from like minded AV geeks (like me). My gut level says that a screen that costs 1/3 as much as the comparable DaLite offering must be risky.
Besides the cost, there is another concern. Our family room theater has cathedral ceilings (wood). In order to deal with the screen mount, I need two other people with 12 foot ladders. The install is a hassle that I do not want to repeat. My current 16 x 9 DaLite Cosmo has been a champ. We just "set it and forget it".
Bottom line is that there is a big learning curve for this particular "scope" screen project. I have been hoping for a better handle on it before we pulled the trigger.
post #1953 of 1974 Old 08-25-2015, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swolephile View Post
Aeon screens with Cinegrey 3D are showing for sale now at focused technology.com

http://m.focusedtechnology.com/elite...utm_medium=ppc
They aren't for sale yet. Just put in back orders.

An Elite rep told me that the Aeon's with CineGrey 3D material will be available on September 21st.

post #1954 of 1974 Old 08-25-2015, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
LED strips on eBay are much cheaper. They appear to be the same minus the markup. I'm going to go ahead and purchase a LED strip from ebay instead.
How can LED strips on eBay be cheaper than free lol? The LED kit comes free on orders made before October 31st.

Last edited by Stuntman_Mike; 08-26-2015 at 10:34 AM.
post #1955 of 1974 Old 08-26-2015, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman_Mike View Post
How can LED strips on eBay be cheaper than free lol? The LED kit is comes free on orders made before October 31st.
Free after rebate process through Elite Screens. As bad as their customer service is, good luck with that. I would rather pay $20 for the exact same LED strip on eBay rather than paying $70 up front and chasing it through Elite Screens horrible customer service for a rebate.
post #1956 of 1974 Old 08-26-2015, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Free after rebate process through Elite Screens. As bad as their customer service is, good luck with that. I would rather pay $20 for the exact same LED strip on eBay rather than paying $70 up front and chasing it through Elite Screens horrible customer service for a rebate.
Lol. I hear you on that. I'm still going to get it from Elite though.

They got 100" Aeons with CineGrey 3D material yesterday. The other sizes are still 2 or 3wks away they said.

Not sure when vendors will be getting stock.

post #1957 of 1974 Old 08-26-2015, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Lol. I hear you on that. I'm still going to get it from Elite though.

They got 100" Aeons with CineGrey 3D material yesterday. The other sizes are still 2 or 3wks away they said.

Not sure when vendors will be getting stock.
Well I am going to have high expectations if I go from my Black Diamond 1.4 gain screen to a Aeon edge free screen with Cinegrey 3D. I hope it will not be too far of a drop in quality.
post #1958 of 1974 Old 08-26-2015, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Well I am going to have high expectations if I go from my Black Diamond 1.4 gain screen to a Aeon edge free screen with Cinegrey 3D. I hope it will not be too far of a drop in quality.
You have a BD currently? Why are you interested in the Aeon then?

post #1959 of 1974 Old 08-26-2015, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You have a BD currently? Why are you interested in the Aeon then?
I wanted the zero edge look without the zero edge price.

Pro Cinema Advocate

Anti-EQ "Ooh baby I like it raw"

So much gear, so little time.
post #1960 of 1974 Old 08-26-2015, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Same here, but you already bought the BD, no? Are you returning, or selling?

Do you have the 1.4 or 0.8, and how do you like it?

post #1961 of 1974 Old 08-26-2015, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Same here, but you already bought the BD, no? Are you returning, or selling?

Do you have the 1.4 or 0.8, and how do you like it?
I bought the BD from Best Buy using a store card. I have it for sale now to try to get some cash however if it does not sell in three weeks, I will return it to Best Buy for a full credit back on my store card.

I have a framed 120" 1.4 gain Black Diamond screen.The contrast and blacks with it are excellent. However placment of the projector is critical for use with this screen and the projector needs to have a good deal of lumens to light it up properly. I would say at least a minimum of 1500 lumens after calibration.

Pro Cinema Advocate

Last edited by Swolephile; 08-26-2015 at 05:26 PM.
post #1962 of 1974 Old 08-26-2015, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
My sentiments exactly, love the edge less look but for a fraction of the cost. You sir are my hero, and guinea pig too I suppose, can't wait to see it when it's up,and running. I am six months out at least but I want to be ready when I do. I have a new desktop computer I need to pay off first and then i am following your lead.
post #1963 of 1974 Old 08-27-2015, 03:56 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What LEDs are you guys talking about on eBay? What are they used for in relation to screens?
post #1964 of 1974 Old 08-27-2015, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylan View Post
My sentiments exactly, love the edge less look but for a fraction of the cost. You sir are my hero, and guinea pig too I suppose, can't wait to see it when it's up,and running. I am six months out at least but I want to be ready when I do. I have a new desktop computer I need to pay off first and then i am following your lead.
I'm working on getting one asap. I will post my impressions when I get one.

post #1965 of 1974 Old 08-27-2015, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reisb View Post
What LEDs are you guys talking about on eBay? What are they used for in relation to screens?
There is an LED kit that goes on the backside of the screen's frame and goes all the way around. Sharp made TVs with something called Ambilight a while back. If you remember that, it will give you an idea.

The lights are mainly aesthetic and can further give the screen a floating feel. More practical purposes are that they can reduce eyestrain for lights out viewing and can improve perceived contrast. That last bit is up for debate. Mostly it makes the display look cool and allows you to see without having lights shine directly on the screen, as the lighting is behind the screen.

Go here: http://www.elitescreens.com/index.ph...eries#3-photos

Click on the photos tab and you'll see some shots with the lights on.

Last edited by Stuntman_Mike; 08-27-2015 at 09:21 AM.
post #1966 of 1974 Old 08-27-2015, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 81
I just upgraded from an Elite 90" Cinawhite to a 100" Vmax2. The Vmax looks a bit better, more vibrant color, pop and 3D like depth. But I notice a slight shine and grain look at a small area only directly across and slightly above my line of sight. If I Move my sitting position the "shiny grain" area moves or follows my line of sight.

I hope I explained clearly? Is this just something to expect from a budget screen or anyway to fix the issue?
post #1967 of 1974 Old 08-27-2015, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
They wrap around the projector screen and give it a floating look while easing eyestrain in a dark room. Phillips ambilight tv's had this technology some years back.

Phillips ambilight tv

Elite Screens Aeon Screen with led kit will look similar to the widely popular Screen Innovations Zero Edge screen with led kit in this vid:

You can find the led strips on ebay here for a third of the price Elite screens is asking for:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...strip&_sacat=0

Or you can pay an inflated figure around $70 for the same led kit from Elite Screens then jump through hoops with their illustrious customer service to get a rebate back for it. The price for the led kit will be included in the final price for the Aeon screen which you have to pay at the time of purchase.
A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Better to pay $20 or less for the same led kit from ebay rather than paying a inflated $70 or more from Elite Screens for the exact same led kit, then go through their rebate process which just seems asinine in my opinion.

Pro Cinema Advocate

Last edited by Swolephile; 08-27-2015 at 02:19 PM.
post #1968 of 1974 Old 08-27-2015, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd68 View Post
I just upgraded from an Elite 90" Cinawhite to a 100" Vmax2. The Vmax looks a bit better, more vibrant color, pop and 3D like depth. But I notice a slight shine and grain look at a small area only directly across and slightly above my line of sight. If I Move my sitting position the "shiny grain" area moves or follows my line of sight.

I hope I explained clearly? Is this just something to expect from a budget screen or anyway to fix the issue?
Maybe hot spotting?

My Builds--Media console build---- Martycube build---- ADX Bass Shaker Install

Projector & Screen: Benq W1070 Elite Screens 100" Electric Video: Oppo 103d Audio: Denon 4520ci Speakers: Infinity RS5 (LW L C R RW) Infinity RS1 (LH RH) Infinity Beta ES250 (SL SR) Subwoofers: 2 SI18d4 Martycubes with iNuke3000dsp and 2 Infinity BU120 Shakers: 4 ADX shakers with Dayton SA230 amp
post #1969 of 1974 Old 08-27-2015, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I don't use them on my screen but on my tv I do. Like everyone else it helps eye strain. Personally I don't see the point with a projector screen.

Projector & Screen: Benq W1070 Elite Screens 100" Electric Video: Oppo 103d Audio: Denon 4520ci Speakers: Infinity RS5 (LW L C R RW) Infinity RS1 (LH RH) Infinity Beta ES250 (SL SR) Subwoofers: 2 SI18d4 Martycubes with iNuke3000dsp and 2 Infinity BU120 Shakers: 4 ADX shakers with Dayton SA230 amp
post #1970 of 1974 Old 08-27-2015, 11:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluer101 View Post
Maybe hot spotting?
I guess it's a mild case of hot spotting. I didn't mention this before but this is my second Vmax2 screen. The first one had too much wrinkles and I had the same issue but it was to the left of center close to two wrinkles. This second one is better except the mild hot spotting in the upper center or depending were I sit.

It's mostly noticeable with bright white displayed in the area. It's not that bad so I guess I can live with it. The overall picture quality is better than the Cinewhite screen though I didn't notice this issue.

Last edited by Todd68; 08-27-2015 at 11:11 PM.
post #1971 of 1974 Old Yesterday, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I guess it's a mild case of hot spotting. I didn't mention this before but this is my second Vmax2 screen. The first one had too much wrinkles and I had the same issue but it was to the left of center close to two wrinkles. This second one is better except the mild hot spotting in the upper center or depending were I sit.

It's mostly noticeable with bright white displayed in the area. It's not that bad so I guess I can live with it. The overall picture quality is better than the Cinewhite screen though I didn't notice this issue.
Yep, sounds like hot spotting. I get that to in some areas with bright scenes.

post #1972 of 1974 Old Today, 03:53 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluer101 View Post
Yep, sounds like hot spotting. I get that to in some areas with bright scenes.
What causes hot spotting?
post #1973 of 1974 Old Today, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
They wrap around the projector screen and give it a floating look while easing eyestrain in a dark room. Phillips ambilight tv's had this technology some years back.

Phillips ambilight tv

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hE8K0kwmv0Y

Elite Screens Aeon Screen with led kit will look similar to the widely popular Screen Innovations Zero Edge screen with led kit in this vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rJ-yBmAn1c

You can find the led strips on ebay here for a third of the price Elite screens is asking for:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...strip&_sacat=0

Or you can pay an inflated figure around $70 for the same led kit from Elite Screens then jump through hoops with their illustrious customer service to get a rebate back for it. The price for the led kit will be included in the final price for the Aeon screen which you have to pay at the time of purchase.
A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Better to pay $20 or less for the same led kit from ebay rather than paying a inflated $70 or more from Elite Screens for the exact same led kit, then go through their rebate process which just seems asinine in my opinion.

Wow thanks for the tip- the way the rebate works is you buy the screen then they charge you $45 shipping and send you the led kit... So if I can just buy it off Ebay for 25 give or take that's a much better deal and they look to be the exact same kits right down to the remote.
post #1974 of 1974 Old Today, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

Isn't the Vmax2 a non-tensioned screen about 1.1 gain (same as CineWhite)? Why did you change? Was it to go slightly larger?
FWIW, I actually got samples from DaLite and Elite and the CineWite was my favorite. No sheen or sparklies. True color and good bright whites. The DaLite HDP 1.1 and 1.3 gain were sparkly with a shimmer to the bright scenes. CineWhite was not as "contrasty" as the DaLite HDP .9 gain, but it was noticeably brighter. I'm hoping that a PJ upgrade will result in better blacks at some point anyway...
Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Da Lite Screens , Panasonic Et Lae700 Replacement Lamp For Pt Ae700u , Projectors , Elite Screens Inc
Gear in this thread - Lae700 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page