Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezeez View Post

Stay away from the Grey!!

I just bought my first projector from the same "guys". I went with a package deal since I had no idea which screen to use with a Z5 in a completely light controlled room. I assumed that these people knew what they were doing when they put these packages together.

Right.

A grey screen made sense in my case for better contrast but, while the Elite Screen model #R92H1 is a nice screen for the money, it's entirely too dark even with my basement (meaning no windows) theater. It has no pop and I cannot use the lower light output options on the Z5. I bought a DVE Calibration Disk and it's acceptable now, but I will eventually change to a white screen. Lesson learned.

BTW, I'm throwing 17' onto a 92" screen.

OK, just a quick number or two - if you had placed your projector at about half the distance to the screen (full wide angle), your gray would be brighter with the Z5 in low power, than you would have in current position, in high power, and on a matte white screen with a 1.1 gain.

several years ago, I went from a matte white to my firehawk.. Initially I thought there was less pop, but by the time I had probably watch 100 hours, I was certain I liked the HC gray better... But I have a Darchip 3 projector and a lot more lumens, I run my iris open and put out about 500 lumens to my 128" firehawk... Not superbright, but bright enough for sure.

-art

Reviewing projectors sure beats selling them...
---but then, watching The 5th Element
-----for the hundreth time sure is getting old.
ProjectorReviews.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1736 Old 02-06-2007, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a Sanyo PLV-Z5, will be throwing at distance at of about 16 ft, to a screen size of 92", I want to purchase a cinetension screen since based on the reviews in these forums waves really bother people. My walls are light tan and my ceilings are white, otherwise I have full control over the lights since it's in the basement. Will the high gain white help mitigate the light reflecting off the walls and ceiling from washing out the picture? or would the high contrast gray do a better job at that? or would the matte white be a better choice? there doesn't seem to be any reviews on the high gain white, and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.
post #183 of 1736 Old 02-08-2007, 07:47 AM

sticky,
i am in a similar situation. just purchased an ax100u and plan on buying either the 106" or 120" Elite tab tensioned screen. i'll be throwing from 19' and sitting is 14-16 feet from the screen.

these screens seem to be biggest bang for the buck and almost every review i've come across here seems to favor the matte white over the gray. haven't seen too many reviews on the HC white.

your basement setup as far as lighting goes seems very similar to mine. i am planning on going with the matte white. after it's installed i'll try to post a review... now 106 or 120?!
post #184 of 1736 Old 02-08-2007, 08:00 AM

drcarr, I am throwing a Panny AE900 from 19 feet with the seating area 18 feet from the screen, and tried both the 120 and 106. Although there was a WoW factor with the 120, I thought it was too large. You literally had to move your head from side to side to see the whole image. From your distance I definitely would recommend the 106, unless you like to sit in the front row of a theater!
post #185 of 1736 Old 02-08-2007, 08:08 AM

with my set up the seating distance will be 9.5 feet, actually I have two concerns... PLV-Z5 does not have the smooth screen technology, so 92" at 9.5 feet seating distance SDE may be visible... not sure... the other concern of course is that a 92" screen will be too big at 9.5 feet distance.... I don't really want to move my head side to side or anything like that....

drcarr... do you have similar wall colours and ceiling to my setup.... as mentioned a big concern of mine is the ambiant light reflections off the walls and ceilings... or am i being to concerned over nothing?
post #186 of 1736 Old 02-08-2007, 09:51 AM

drcarr, based on your seating distance, a 120inch screen seems to be okay, that translates to a screen width of 104 inches, or 8.66 feet, I believe most people like to sit at 1.5 times screen width which translates to 13 feet.
post #187 of 1736 Old 02-08-2007, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcarr View Post

sticky,
i am in a similar situation. just purchased an ax100u and plan on buying either the 106" or 120" Elite tab tensioned screen. i'll be throwing from 19' and sitting is 14-16 feet from the screen.

these screens seem to be biggest bang for the buck and almost every review i've come across here seems to favor the matte white over the gray. haven't seen too many reviews on the HC white.

your basement setup as far as lighting goes seems very similar to mine. i am planning on going with the matte white. after it's installed i'll try to post a review... now 106 or 120?!

I vote for the 120 myself. but then I sit 11 feet from a 128" diag screen. I like close.

Certainly pixels won't be an issue for you, and sharpness should be just dandy with HDTV and hi-def dvds standard dvds and SDTV of course will be soft at that distance.

Oh yeah HTPartyshack... You don't have to move your head - move your eyeballs instead. takes less effort too. A 120" from 14 feet back is probably about equivilent to 1/3 to 1/2 way back in a movie theater (probably half way back), definitely not front row...

1080 provides just enough resolution to just give you a razor sharp image from about 10 feet on a 120", with a 1080 projector, so a little softer with the AX100u at 720. -art

-art

ProjectorReviews.com
post #188 of 1736 Old 02-08-2007, 02:28 PM

my sitting distance is 17' in a 24x22 room Im hoping for a 120" screen
post #189 of 1736 Old 02-09-2007, 09:16 AM

Hi, been bashing my head trying to figure out who will actually ship one of these to Canada.... I went to the where to buy section on the Elite Screens website and the Canadian distributor does not even carry the Cinetension line! So I email the Elite guys and they say to check out the American online retailers... but so far no one seems to ship to Canada or at least if they do they don't carry the Cinetensions.. Anyone have any suggestions? Where have most of you guys purchased your Elite screens from?

Thanks.
post #190 of 1736 Old 02-09-2007, 03:13 PM

stickyman, there are some elite products at tigerdirect.ca
post #191 of 1736 Old 02-09-2007, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickyman View Post

Hi, been bashing my head trying to figure out who will actually ship one of these to Canada.... I went to the where to buy section on the Elite Screens website and the Canadian distributor does not even carry the Cinetension line! So I email the Elite guys and they say to check out the American online retailers... but so far no one seems to ship to Canada or at least if they do they don't carry the Cinetensions.. Anyone have any suggestions? Where have most of you guys purchased your Elite screens from?

Thanks.

Contact AVS here to see if they ship to Canada.

Rich L

Go Chicago Bears

post #192 of 1736 Old 02-09-2007, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyralak View Post

stickyman, there are some elite products at tigerdirect.ca

Hyralak, thanks for the suggestion... I've checked Tigerdirect appears they are still carrying the older stock of the tab tensions.. different screen materials, no sliding mount and some have mentioned that they are only vertically tensioned...

Looks like I may use Richlo's suggestion and contact the AVS guys.
post #193 of 1736 Old 02-10-2007, 06:03 PM

well i got my ax100u fired up for the first time in the HT room. i projected a 120" diagonal on the wall and sat back from 13-16' and the image was awesome!!! i ordered the 120" cinetension in mate white two days ago. should be just the right size.

now i have to figure out how to mount the screen up in the ceiling??? any suggestions? i was planning on mounting it to a joyce (sp?) and covering the cutout hole with crown molding.

my walls are tan and my ceiling is white. i do not anticipate this should be too much of a problem with my pj and screen setup.
post #194 of 1736 Old 02-10-2007, 06:22 PM

Got my Elite 100" 16x9 screen on wed. Mounted it and the first time I tried to use it it would not lock open. Tried several times and contacted Elite Tech Support. One of the techs told me to try to pull it down hard and that should lock it open. The first time I did that I heard the spring unwind. The side plate that the spring sits in broke and now the screen is stuck open. Tech said to wind the spring. Can't wind spring because of the broken holder. Very disapointed with this brand. I am hoping to get it returned and go with a quality screen.
post #195 of 1736 Old 02-10-2007, 07:01 PM

man... i hope mine doesn't arrive with any problems! i've seen more than a few people who have recieved damaged or issued products from Elite. i should also mention that many seem very pleased with their Elite screens. mine should arrive sometime this week, direct from the factory.
post #196 of 1736 Old 02-10-2007, 07:32 PM

drcarr, i'm planning to mount mine to the ceiling as well... through the drywall into the joist... not sure if i'm going to put a molding or box around it... probably will since the cinetension case is black and my ceiling is white... btw, i've ordered the Sanyo PLV-Z5, price is a lot better than the AX100U up in Canada since we don't have the $400 rebate Panasonic is offering... I'm hoping SDE is not too bad on the Z5...
i haven't bought a screen yet, waiting to hear back from AVS to see if they will ship one to Canada... and I haven't decided on Matte White or the High Gain White yet, leaning towards the high gain since it's only 1.5 gain and the Z5 is not a bright projector to begin with...
post #197 of 1736 Old 02-13-2007, 10:59 AM

I installed a VMAX100 last weekend. I could not get the projector (X1) to properly fill the viewing area (spec. is 49 x 87). Finally measured the screen to find it is 50 x 87. No wonder I couldn't get rid of the 1" white bar at the bottom! I talked to Elite and they assured me this is NOT normal. Tiger Direct is shipping a replacement. Assuming this one has proper dimensions, I'll be very happy with the quality/price.
post #198 of 1736 Old 02-13-2007, 07:31 PM

just got my PLV-Z5, projected an image onto my flat/matte tan walls (I would assume it's got a gain of 1 or less...) I actually found the image to be quite satisfactory, so I find it hard to believe that the Elite High Contrast Gray would be darker and have less gain than my tan walls... anyway, I've called Elite up and ordered screen samples for the tab tensioned matte white and the high contrast gray... I will compare the two and then decide!
post #199 of 1736 Old 02-13-2007, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistere View Post

I talked to Elite and they assured me this is NOT normal. Tiger Direct is shipping a replacement. Assuming this one has proper dimensions, I'll be very happy with the quality/price.

Mistere: I'm seeing the same problem with a new VMAX100 that I just ordered. I wonder if they got a bad batch or something. Did you call or email Elite? How did you get TD to send a replacement?
post #200 of 1736 Old 02-14-2007, 06:13 AM

I was about to order the VMAX100 on TD Canada too... and (un)fortunatly, I think that 50" glitch might be good for me.

I just got the Optoma HD6800/HD72 which is a 16:10 SXGA native resolution and it will be used for an HTPC... problem with 16:10 there is no standard screen for it.

Well, 49 x 87 is truly 16:9 and 50 x 87 give about 16:9.2... Ideal size would be 54 x 87 for a perfect 16:10 but anyway, having an extra inch taller would minimize the blank dead white bar on each side.

So I think I might just order that actual screen Just to confirm, is it really this one you guys ordered?
Item #: E110-1012 - Mfg Part No: VMAX100UWH
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...16720&NoMapp=1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #201 of 1736 Old 02-14-2007, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel2167882 View Post

I was about to order the VMAX100 on TD Canada too... and (un)fortunatly, I think that 50" glitch might be good for me.

I just got the Optoma HD6800/HD72 which is a 16:10 SXGA native resolution and it will be used for an HTPC... problem with 16:10 there is no standard screen for it.

Well, 49 x 87 is truly 16:9 and 50 x 87 give about 16:9.2... Ideal size would be 54 x 87 for a perfect 16:10 but anyway, having an extra inch taller would minimize the blank dead white bar on each side.

So I think I might just order that actual screen Just to confirm, is it really this one you guys ordered?
Item #: E110-1012 - Mfg Part No: VMAX100UWH
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...16720&NoMapp=1

I've just ordered it from TD finally... will tell you if mine is 49" or 50" tall.

Can't wait to finish my setup!!

post #202 of 1736 Old 02-14-2007, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fglass View Post

Mistere: I'm seeing the same problem with a new VMAX100 that I just ordered. I wonder if they got a bad batch or something. Did you call or email Elite? How did you get TD to send a replacement?

I called Elite directly (before I talked to TD). I told them I got the screen from TD. Elite offered to send a new one out and let me return the flawed one to them. I called TD customer service and they immediately agreed to take it back. They sent me a UPS return label via email and sent another one out. My CC of course got billed for the second one but I'll get creditited when the other one is returned. Now I'm fearful that I'll get another 50x87. :-(
post #203 of 1736 Old 02-14-2007, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I called Elite directly (before I talked to TD). I told them I got the screen from TD. Elite offered to send a new one out and let me return the flawed one to them. I called TD customer service and they immediately agreed to take it back. They sent me a UPS return label via email and sent another one out. My CC of course got billed for the second one but I'll get creditited when the other one is returned. Now I'm fearful that I'll get another 50x87. :-(

Maybe you should call Elite and tell them that TD is taking care of it, and not to ship another one? I'm sure they will appreciate that, and, it's the right thing to do. -art

-art

ProjectorReviews.com
post #204 of 1736 Old 02-14-2007, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by presenter View Post

Maybe you should call Elite and tell them that TD is taking care of it, and not to ship another one? I'm sure they will appreciate that, and, it's the right thing to do. -art

Hey, I'm not doing anything unethical. I simply called Elite (before calling TD) so that I'd be properly armed with info that 50x87 is not up to spec. To my surprise, Elite offered to correct the problem directly. However, I contacted TD and they agreed to exchange it. They did not hesitate to do so. As I said above, if the replacement is indeed 49x87 I'll be a happy camper. If I get another 50x87, I'll then deal directly with Elite.
post #205 of 1736 Old 02-14-2007, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hey, I'm not doing anything unethical. I simply called Elite (before calling TD) so that I'd be properly armed with info that 50x87 is not up to spec. To my surprise, Elite offered to correct the problem directly. However, I contacted TD and they agreed to exchange it. They did not hesitate to do so. As I said above, if the replacement is indeed 49x87 I'll be a happy camper. If I get another 50x87, I'll then deal directly with Elite.

Hi, didn't say it was unethical. You just made it sound like both were sending you screens. And all the hassles, and extra freight costs that entails. Just suggesting you do it one at a time. -a

-art

ProjectorReviews.com
post #206 of 1736 Old 02-15-2007, 04:58 PM

The replacement screen arrived today. Unfortunately, it too is 50x87. It will also go back to TD and I'm going to talk directly with Elite again. A few other comments may be of interest.

The screens are quite different (aside from both being the wrong size). The first screen (manufactured April 06) exudes quality. The case is substantial (92mm octagonal) the mounts are sturdy, the finish (matte powdercoat?) is nice (although it has some minor blems), the screen material is quite heavy and exhibits no waves or edge curl. The controls and remote aren't high end but they don't look totally cheap. The connector is at the right side of the screen. The vertical adjustment allen screws are discretely hidden.

The second screen (manufactured June 06) seems CHEAP. The case is smaller in diameter (75mm ocagonal) and clearly lesser quality. (I think it may actually sag a bit.) The mounts are flimsy. The finish is an ugly, shiny textured finish with several rather large dull patches. The screen material is less substantial, is curled at the edges and already exhibits a bit of a V (undoubtedly from the above mentioned sag). The remotes and wall control aren't as nice. The vertical adjustment screws are readily visible (as is a small set of instructions imprinted on the case). The connector is at the left side of the screen. Even the Elite logo is of crappier quality. This screen requires 59 seconds to retract whereas the first one took 37. It also does not seem to operate as smoothly.

In many ways I'm happy this screen is not of the correct size. I don't think I'd ever be willing to live with it having seen the first one.

This is FRUSTRATING. If Elite can't assure me that they will personally inspect a screen and guarantee it is in fact 49x87 and that it will be one of the quality screens rather than the POS I received today, I'm finished with them. :-(
post #207 of 1736 Old 02-15-2007, 05:57 PM

Quote:

. . . it will be one of the quality screens rather than the POS I received today, I'm finished with them. :-(

That is not good news. I have a 106 high contrast gray, and I planned to get a tension white instead. Now I am concerned that I will not get one of the same quality as the one I have, and I will not have any recourse. FWIW, I had priced a new one a while back and found the best price at projector.com. When I returned to that site a few days ago I noticed they no longer sell Elite Screens. Hmmmm.
post #208 of 1736 Old 02-16-2007, 02:54 PM

I just got the Elite VMAX100UWH 100 from NewEgg with a build date of October 2005. Does anyone know if the general quality of Elite screens was better in the past or worst? Or are they all bad?
post #209 of 1736 Old 02-16-2007, 04:09 PM

I just had a lengthy conversation with the folks at Elite. Francis was very helpful. There is apparently a new screen model which they will send out after I complete the RMA form. I was assured that it will be of the correct dimension and will be of the quality of the first screen. She took a picture of the type of screen I want (from the Type C users guide on their website) to their tech department and they told her this new model looks like that one.

She indicated that I won't need to return the entire screen to Tiger Direct or to Elite. I'll need to return the control box and end cap to Elite and can then simply dispose of the rest of the screen. (I suppose it's not cost effective to return ship, refurb, ........ Screen is Chinese origin)

I'll report back as to when/whether this is finally resolved to my satisfaction. I must say that thus far the customer service reps have been understanding and responsive.

I'll keeep my "fingers crossed".
post #210 of 1736 Old 02-16-2007, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

Can anyone tell me if the Elite Cinetension can be ordered in 2:35 configuration? According to the website, only the fixed frame is available in 2:35.
Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Da Lite Screens , Panasonic Et Lae700 Replacement Lamp For Pt Ae700u , Projectors , Elite Screens Inc
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page