The official Elite screen thread. - Page 73 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 21Likes
post #2161 of 2180 Unread 04-08-2016, 07:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 42
The Cinegrey 3D designer cut raw material is in stock on Amazon, sold via Elite for $103. From reading various threads, it appears to be hard to come by. The price seemed good so I ordered sight unseen. I ordered a sample prior to seeing it on Amazon. I have a 5D sample and do like what I see from it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2162 of 2180 Unread 04-08-2016, 01:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by abdrury View Post
Seeing Elite Spectrum Tab-tensioned 125" 16:9 electric for $573 through Elite via Amazon. Electric125HT.

I'm in no rush, but if this is as good as it gets I might as well order now. Does anyone see these much cheaper ever?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I've been looking to buy one of these Electric125HT screens since January, but haven't seen the price change in all this time. It might even have gone up about $20 - 30. Can't be sure it won't drop later, but my guess is that more than likely it will go up, especially since they seem to be getting more popular.

Seems the best price on this screen was when they were originally available on Amazon around mid 2014. Saw some people say they picked one up for around $400 shipped. Wish it would get down around the $500 mark but it hasn't happened yet .

post #2163 of 2180 Unread 04-22-2016, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What is the difference between the Saker and Starling? I am trying to figure this out and want to know if the price difference of ~$300 is worth it.
post #2164 of 2180 Unread 04-22-2016, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by airedale View Post
What is the difference between the Saker and Starling? I am trying to figure this out and want to know if the price difference of ~$300 is worth it.
The best information will be available directly from Elite Screens website:

Here is the comparison they give for the non-tensioned versions of the Saker and Starling 2 models.

You can also get the comparison of the tab-tensioned models from their website here.

Not sure if this is what you're really asking for, but hopefully it will be helpful in at least determining the differences from a features perspective.

I haven't seen too many people who have been able to directly compare these two models with actual hands on experience.

post #2165 of 2180 Unread 05-24-2016, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I thought I'd provide my experience here with the starling tension 2 and cinetension 2, since I have had the opportunity to try both.

TLDR: Cinetension 2 is the way to go.

I first started with the starling because I liked the mounting and design of it, plus it was a newer model. My experience with it from a mounting and looks standpoint actually is better than the Cinetension by far! The Cinetension requires 3 brackets for the 135" screen and the way you can slide the whole screen to center it, was much easier than the Cinetension with the bolts / nuts.

From a screen quality perspective, the starling had multiple issues in my experience. Ironically, I thought the weight of the screen and the tension would make it super flat. Boy was I wrong!
  • There were ripples in the screen on the left and sort of circular ripples on the right. Both were very noticable while viewing. The screen was left down for multiple days to see if the ripples would go away. They didn't get any better.
  • Hot spotting seemed to be an issue as well. It almost seemed sparkly in very bright scenes and was definitely distracting.

As a positive, the screen weight bar goes up into the housing and seems to be cleaner looking, and the motor is a bit quieter than the Cinetension 2.

There is more than enough info out there on Cinetension, but I will say the screen is much lighter, which I think may result in the screen moving up and down a bit faster. The flatness of the Cinetension was perfect and I have no sparkly views. I hated mounting it, especially having to add in a 3rd mount point.

Overall, the housing on the Cinetension is not nearly as polished, but the screen (and that is what matters), is way better. It isn't even a question in my mind now, the Starling is a non-starter for me in a home theater. It seems like it is better suited to an office space.
post #2166 of 2180 Unread 05-27-2016, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by airedale View Post
I thought I'd provide my experience here with the starling tension 2 and cinetension 2, since I have had the opportunity to try both.

TLDR: Cinetension 2 is the way to go.

I first started with the starling because I liked the mounting and design of it, plus it was a newer model. My experience with it from a mounting and looks standpoint actually is better than the Cinetension by far! The Cinetension requires 3 brackets for the 135" screen and the way you can slide the whole screen to center it, was much easier than the Cinetension with the bolts / nuts.

From a screen quality perspective, the starling had multiple issues in my experience. Ironically, I thought the weight of the screen and the tension would make it super flat. Boy was I wrong!
  • There were ripples in the screen on the left and sort of circular ripples on the right. Both were very noticable while viewing. The screen was left down for multiple days to see if the ripples would go away. They didn't get any better.
  • Hot spotting seemed to be an issue as well. It almost seemed sparkly in very bright scenes and was definitely distracting.

As a positive, the screen weight bar goes up into the housing and seems to be cleaner looking, and the motor is a bit quieter than the Cinetension 2.

There is more than enough info out there on Cinetension, but I will say the screen is much lighter, which I think may result in the screen moving up and down a bit faster. The flatness of the Cinetension was perfect and I have no sparkly views. I hated mounting it, especially having to add in a 3rd mount point.

Overall, the housing on the Cinetension is not nearly as polished, but the screen (and that is what matters), is way better. It isn't even a question in my mind now, the Starling is a non-starter for me in a home theater. It seems like it is better suited to an office space.
Thanks airedale, I have the starling tab 2 and am having similar issues. Did elite replace your starling tab 2 with the cinetension under a warranty claim?
post #2167 of 2180 Unread 05-27-2016, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Anyone can share their experience of the ACOUSTICPRO1080P3 projector screen, I'm looking to buy the 120 inches, but cannot found any review on it.

Marantz AV8802A, Sherbourn PA 7 -350 power amp,
OPPO 105D, Paradigm studio CC690 center
Martin Logan Descent i subwoofer, Klipsch reference R115sw subwoofer.
Mitsubishi HC8000 projector, 110吋 fixed screen
Energy Veritas V-6.3 Speaker
post #2168 of 2180 Unread 06-02-2016, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Quick question: I am helping a friend mount a manual pulldown screen. It didn't really come with any instruction how to mount to the wall but from the looks of things it comes with two screws and 2 drywall anchers and that's it. Just seems that that might not be enough to hold it till wall. What have all you guys done? Does it seem to hold? Any suggestions?
post #2169 of 2180 Unread 06-02-2016, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I'm about to mount an elite spectrum 100" screen, I have drop ceilings and would like some direction on how to mount it. I can't wall mount it because I want it to drop in front of my entertainment wall unit. Does anyone have tips, pics, and hardware suggestions to mount it under my drop ceiling, my real ceiling is about 12" higher under the drop cieling. I attached a pic of my set up, the elite screen case is slightly wider than my entertainment unit, and the screen width is just inbetween my svs prime towers, and a few inches above my svs prime center channel.

post #2170 of 2180 Unread 06-03-2016, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by david8613 View Post
I'm about to mount an elite spectrum 100" screen, I have drop ceilings and would like some direction on how to mount it. I can't wall mount it because I want it to drop in front of my entertainment wall unit. Does anyone have tips, pics, and hardware suggestions to mount it under my drop ceiling, my real ceiling is about 12" higher under the drop cieling. I attached a pic of my set up, the elite screen case is slightly wider than my entertainment unit, and the screen width is just inbetween my svs prime towers, and a few inches above my svs prime center channel.

From the picture, it's difficult to tell what you are securing the case to. I think it's important to use multiple anchor points to minimize "bowing" of the screen case. We had a tricky install on a cathedral ceiling with our 125" Cinatension2. We chose the anchor points carefully and hung it using chain and caribiners from the center and two ends. To get it located precisely (and balanced), we used a turnbuckle on one side. Hope that helps.
post #2171 of 2180 Unread 06-03-2016, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member

The screen is going right under the drop ceiling, but above and in front of wall units top cabinets so the screen can drop in front of wall unit in between my speakers. I'm planning on attaching 2 eye bolts to the wood ceiling above the drop ceilings and im going to run 12 gauge wire that's very stiff to a pair of turn buckles and pass the hook through the drop ceiling so i can control the distance of the screen case under drop ceiling. I have only 2 points to hang from on either end of screen, no middle point, it's only 100". I attached some pics showing the screen sitting on top of wall unit, a pic of the ceiling that's above my drop ceiling were I will anchor the eye hooks, it looks weird I never saw a ceiling like this, and the hardware I will be using.

Last edited by david8613; 06-03-2016 at 06:11 PM.
post #2172 of 2180 Unread 06-03-2016, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

I think you are on the right track (screen humor). We used small diameter chains instead of wire, but that should not matter. My concern would be having only two attachment points. Our screen case was lightweight aluminum. 100" is a big span to self support. I would contact Elite CS and ask them if it's OK without a center hang point. In order to hang flat, the screen roller must maintain it's integrity...My $.02.
post #2173 of 2180 Unread 06-04-2016, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Does elite sell a center attchment i can buy? A long time ago i had a 106" high power and it only had 2 attachment points, but thats a heaver wrinkle resistant material.
post #2174 of 2180 Unread 06-04-2016, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by david8613 View Post
Does elite sell a center attchment i can buy? A long time ago i had a 106" high power and it only had 2 attachment points, but thats a heaver wrinkle resistant material.
Our Cinetension2 screen came with a sliding "bolt" mounting system that was brilliantly designed and easy to use. You could move the case attachment points to match your anchor stud locations. Coincidentally, we also have a DaLite Cosmo Electrol in High Power fabric. The Cosmo case material is cold rolled steel (I think). It only has two attachment hooks at the ends. However, it's build quality is far more robust than the Elite. The Elite is thin aluminum and needs more support. I would contact Elite CS and see what they suggest. They were very helpful in resolving early issues with our screen.
post #2175 of 2180 Unread 06-07-2016, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwong888 View Post
Anyone can share their experience of the ACOUSTICPRO1080P3 projector screen, I'm looking to buy the 120 inches, but cannot found any review on it.
Not the AcousticPro1080P3, but I do with the 1080P2. It's a good screen material, but I replaced with the 4K material, which is quite a bit better. Absolutely no moire issues, super clean picture, etc.

"Suddenly the thought struck me, my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin
post #2176 of 2180 Unread 06-07-2016, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiojan View Post
Not the AcousticPro1080P3, but I do with the 1080P2. It's a good screen material, but I replaced with the 4K material, which is quite a bit better. Absolutely no moire issues, super clean picture, etc.
I have bought the 1080P3, just waiting for delivery, cannot find any information on the 4K, but I guess 4K and the 1080P3 is the same thing.

Will the screen make the picture dimmer? And how many space you leave the speaker and the screen between?

Marantz AV8802A, Sherbourn PA 7 -350 power amp,
OPPO 105D, Paradigm studio CC690 center
Martin Logan Descent i subwoofer, Klipsch reference R115sw subwoofer.
Mitsubishi HC8000 projector, 110吋 fixed screen
Energy Veritas V-6.3 Speaker
post #2177 of 2180 Unread 06-07-2016, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
I have bought the 1080P3, just waiting for delivery, cannot find any information on the 4K, but I guess 4K and the 1080P3 is the same thing.

Will the screen make the picture dimmer? And how many space you leave the speaker and the screen between?
No, the 4K material is different. It's a very tight weave that for some reason was only offered for a short time, but is really a quite remarkable AT material.

My speakers are about 2" from the screen and it's as transparent as you can possible hear, no difference with or without the screen in front of the speakers.

All AT screens are dimmer then a solid screen... you will always have some light loss.

"Suddenly the thought struck me, my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin
post #2178 of 2180 Unread 07-24-2016, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I also have question on the AcousticPro1080P3 fixed screen. I will not have my speakers behind the screen, but the price is so good to pass, for 92" in Canada price(less than $200). Would you advise this screen or I am better off with non-acoustic screen, since my speakers will be away from the screen?

The screen description says 4K Ultra HD and Active 3D Projection Ready.

Thank you
post #2179 of 2180 Unread Today, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:

How did the 1080P3 material work out for you? Any moire issues? How close do you have to be to see the texture of the weave?
post #2180 of 2180 Unread Today, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey guys, I'm interested in getting a cinegrey 3D screen but is it bright enough?

I actually own the cinewhite at the moment but I'm about to trade it in. It looks good but not great, it's about the same as the painted wall I had before just a little sharper and with no texture. But the contrast is still bad, I have some ambient light.

Now, I have a HW40ES and I don't think it's really bright. I do a 135" image over about 5 meters (130 feet). Is the difference in brightness between cinegrey and cinewhite huge?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Da Lite Screens , Panasonic Et Lae700 Replacement Lamp For Pt Ae700u , Projectors , Elite Screens Inc
Gear in this thread