AVS Forum banner
637K views 3K replies 942 participants last post by  rmcadam 
#1 ·
Post all your questions and answers related to Elite screens to this thread.

No sales or marketing. It will be removed. Thank you.

#2,304 ·
Need some advice here:
Have a 5040ub with a elite aeon cinegray3d 150" screen. I need advice on where to mount the projector. The screen is a 1.2 gain ALR screen so advises 1.5 times screen width which would be close to 16' 5". I have a stud at 16'5" but then the lens would be closer than that. The outlet and HDMI passthrough are next to this stud. I could also go one stud back and mount at 17' 7" (yes 14" difference) but electrical and HDMI will be at 16' 5".

Would I get hotspots if I mount at 16'5" (then the lens would be closer than the recommended 1.5 screen width)?L

Or should mount on the 17'7" stud to make sure I follow the screen recommendation? I could then run the HDMI and power to where they are located near 16'5".

Thanks in advance. Will be mounting Friday. Appreciate the input.

#2,305 ·
I purchased an elite cinetension2 w/36" of drop (way more drop than I need, but I got a deal).

I spoke to elite before buying and my understanding was that drop could be reduced as much as needed. Just don't try to increase the drop as it the screen could fall off the roller.

The instructions provided by elite to reduce the drop (figure 11), state "if you over-turn the switch, the screen will lower completely and damage the unit"

Is this a misprint and should be be referencing increasing the drop? Any body reduced their drop 30"?

#2,306 ·
Trying to help...
If it were me, I would be talking to Elite tech support while I was trying to make the adjustment.

Just get on your cell phone and wait until you feel confident with the person helping you. We have the same screen. It took a significant amout of turning the adjustment screw to get it dialed in. On the plus side, you only have to do it one time...
My $.02

#2,307 ·
Thanks. If I don't get the answer before Monday, that's what will happen. Didn't want to up it up until I knew the implications if it can't be adjusted.

An extra 2 1/2' of drop w/o a stop could be hazardous to my furniture so I was holding off on installing at all until I knew what was going on.

#2,308 ·
Thanks. If I don't get the answer before Monday, that's what will happen. Didn't want to up it up until I knew the implications if it can't be adjusted.

An extra 2 1/2' of drop w/o a stop could be hazardous to my furniture so I was holding off on installing at all until I knew what was going on.

PS - Do you have any idea how much drop you took out? Was it measured in feet or inches?

#2,309 ·
Hey guys ...

I have NOT read all 2300+ posts, but I am hoping to get some feedback. I am already way over budget on my build and I am looking at this screen:

ezFrame Series: 135", 16:9 with AcousticPro1080P3 screen

Should I be concerned about the ezFrame? Anyone have input on the AcousticPro material?? Any help would be appreciated.

#2,314 ·
I'm doing research about screens. So far, Elite Screens looks like a good option. I'm leaning towards the fixed frame Aeon series with an edge free screen. Sorry if this question has been asked but I haven't been able to read all the 2000+ posts yet. Is the CineWhite good for 4K projectors? Is the material nice and smooth to accommodate the small 4K pixels? Anyone with a true native 4K projector (Sony's, not the pixel-shift kind) and CineWhite screen able to comment?

#2,315 ·
I really would love a fixed screen but my room/setup (& wife) won't work......I'm pretty much left with an Elite portable pull up screen but I'm afraid of waves and especially edge curling. In a moment of drunken haze last night I thought why not get a bigger sized pull up screen than I plan to project the image...i.e.; get a 110 inch screen but project a 100" image to avoid any vertical edge curl distractions....of course the white unprojected areas would be slightly annoying but if really a concern I could lay black velvet strips to obscure.....anyone think this is anything but wishful thinking???

#2,316 ·
Not a bad idea, but there is something to be said for the satisfying look of an edge to edge picture. I agree that function over form is (how well it works is more important than how it looks) the right way to go.

#2,317 ·
Just to do a quick update, I ended up purchasing a Elite Screens Evanesce Tension B with Cinewhite Material in 120". I built an oak cornice for above my window to mount this recessed screen. So far so good, i have had it mounted and unrolled for a week and there are still some small abnormalities along the black border in the lower left side of the screen but nothing bad at all. It looks like it rolls over something on the roller? Adjusting the stop height on this screen is very easy but hard when you mount a recessed screen like this so close to the wall. The angle you need to insert the allen wrench is from the backside of the screen and was a pain in the butt to adjust the way I had it mounted. Never the less it is adjusted and it is perfect! Thank you all for your suggestions and help on coming to the decision of this screen and material. I hope to contribute to this thread with my experience to help out some others on their purchase.

#2,318 ·
I am considering purchasing an elite motorized tabbed screen, but have two questions for you guys...

1) I am planning to mount the screen on the wall above a wall mounted flatscreen, so I need to somehow offset the mounting of the screen to open in front of (and clear) the tv... The brackets they sell are 11" long, which are far too big. That will eat up too much of my throw distance (small room, need every inch I can get), and will look awful installed. I am thinking of potentially building a frame off the wall- maybe like 5" from the wall and then mount the screen to that. What are your thoughts?

2) I was looking at the grey material they have which is much improved for when the room isn't completely light controlled. Are there any downsides to this screen in terms of picture quality other than reduced viewing angle? I am thinking having the added flexibility to watch the projector without the lights totally off will be quite nice. However, I want to make sure the picture quality is not sacrificed at all, if comparing the two materials in the ideal light controlled condition...

TIA!

#2,319 ·
1) cut the 11" inch bracket to the correct size? get some metal sheet fabricated to the size you want (if you have a friend with access to machinery).

2) I have spent the last 3 days researching into grey screens and am second guessing my need for one. Everyone who has a grey screen loves them but say there is a niche to setting up the viewing angles just right. The image quality will depend on how much lumen you can give to the screen. The grey screen absorbs more light and reflects less back toward the viewers. So the blacks are blacker but you have to have more lumen power to get a brighter image off the screen. A lot of people advocate that the grey screens are great but the tradeoffs are not all that great considering a few minor changes around a matte white screen will alleviate some of the issues. For instance: reducing the ambient light directly affecting the screen (lights/windows around the screen) and painting the surfaces a darker color in the room so the light isnt reflected and re-reflected.

I am babbling at this point... bottom line is, in my opinion, it really depends on that setup and if you are really worried to the point you dont know what screen to buy just go hire a professional OR buy screen samples to toss on the wall and give it a try. For me: I will probably get a white with a 1.1-1.2 gain screen if I cant find a .8 or .9 light great screen. I want to view my screen from any angle and I dont want to risk being stuck with a screen I cant watch from wherever I want.

#2,323 ·
Ordered an Elite Cinema 100" Pull Up screen despite my reservations (and limitations) but....saw this on another forum:

https://www.avforums.com/threads/minimising-screen-edge-curl-costs-peanuts.1317916/

In a nutshell, the idea is to stitch black cotton thread in spaced out areas down the screen (stitching holes in the black border area of screen) and tensioning the thread to reduce any curling......sounds completely crazy but in looking at the photos it seems to work - only concern would be any impact on the rolling down of screen/effect on its smooth operation.

I had seen a suggestion on a UK site of using Velcro tabs and straps to minimize edge curl but the thread idea seems less "bulky" and more user/screen friendly (aside from the poking of holes in the borders).....comments??

#2,324 ·
Question, my Cinetension2 2.35 I've had for 9 months has had waves (enough to deal with) but now it's getting worse and I need to do something. For those who have been successful in pursuing warranty replacement, what was the process and did your replacement arrive without the waves problem? Thanks!!

#2,325 ·
Hello Everyone,

I'm checking to by a 92" or 84" Motorized screen for my short trow projector BenQ HT2150ST. but on Amazon I read that they are no adding in the description if that screen works well or no with short trow projector. So, asking if someone with a short trow PJ can recomend a motorized sceen with not more of 86" in the screen case.

Thanks
Jose

#2,328 ·
I’m considering buying a fixed screen (100”). My only usable wall has a closet to the right. I’m wondering if anyone makes a wall mount that slides side to side. I would need to slide the screen 10” to the left to access the closet when needed.

Any suggestions/solutions?

I prefer the fixed screens to the electric tensioned (which I've also been considering for obvious reasons) because there is no warp and they are, well, a whole lot less expensive.

Would love any thoughts/suggestions.

Including a photo of the wall. The screen would be hung in place of the small flat screen that is there now. To center it, it would cover the closet door by 10”.

Any thoughts would be welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks

Hal

Attachments

#2,331 ·
Elite Screens Aeon 110 inch Cinegray

Hi Everyone,

I plan on getting a Benq HT2050 DLP 2200 lumens projector and I want to get a light rejecting screen. I have control over ambient light(no sunlight during the day) but I'd like the option to turn on lights while watching TV. When I checked the info on this screen they didn't recommend using this with Ultra/Short Throw Projectors. Does this mean that I can't use the Benq? It is my understanding that DLP's are shorter throw projectors. I would be using a ceiling mount if that matters. I currently have the Epson 5030 mounted on a shelf on the back wall 17' from the screen that's 106" (I can't remember the model but it is Elite screen with Cinewhite)

Thank you,
Chris

#2,332 ·
I recently purchased the homegear 110" screen from amazon. The first was damaged in shipping, and had a wrinkled screen. They sent me a replacement that was not damaged and the wrinkles are horrendous. I was initially going to get a spectrum but went the cheap route. I am back on spectrums again. I read through the past couple years of posts, and it seems that whether you get a tensioned version or not, it may wave and wrinkle as a non-tensioned version. I've been looking at the spectrum2, saker, and vmax 110" screens. From the comparison table, they all look to use the same fiberglass backed screen material. Is there any reason to purchase the saker or vmax over the spectrum2 aside from the bezel, mounting designs, or lack of remote on the spectrum2? Or would it be better to spend slightly more and get the tensioned spectrum 125", with non fiberglass backed screen? This will be wall mounted, and I already have the elite brackets mounted from the homegear screen.

Thanks for any input

#2,333 ·
Have a dumb question about my Elite ez frame 120"... I have only had it up for about a month but now realize I can do a bigger screen if I go with an AT screen, my question being is it okay to take the 120" apart remove all the clips and roll it back up then I want to give it to a friend of mine for him to use in his room. The dumb part is will it sill stretch out the same when he puts it back together?

Thanks.

#2,334 ·
It should I would think. I would think if it has only been up for a little while it should go back to what it was before you put it together. I have the same screen and want to do the same thing, but mine has been up for about 6 or 7 years. My problem is convincing my wife to go to a bigger screen when we already have one.

You might try and contact Elite or where ever you bought it from.