AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

The official Vutec screen thread.

37K views 399 replies 59 participants last post by  joerod 
#1 ·
The Ultimate perf screen..well sorta. I say sorta because its not perforated its a fine mesh. Its very simular to the well known Screen Research but available at a fraction of the cost. Because of this I dont under stand the lack of attention this screen is getting or not getting. Because of the fine mesh sound quality is excellent. To my ears its acoustically transparent and neutral. Im running a set of magnapans. Im talking about the Vutec sound screen. It comes in white or grey. I can only speak of the white. Im told the material is not painted but is the natural color of the material. The gain is .8 or 8.5

My eyes cannot see the holes or texture beyond 2 feet.

Here is a close up of the material.
http://gallery.avsforum.com/data/509/Picture_009.jpg

You definitely want to hang black material directly behind the screen. If not any thing reflective such as a silver tweeter cone on a spkr or anything of bright color will become visible if your sitting at the right angle as the light from a projector passes through the screen and hits the object.

Because of the fine mesh I would guess 30 to 40% of the screen is missing so when watching a movie you could say you missed 40% of the show:)

In reality 40% of what your watching is passing through the screen.

Its amazing how transparent the material is when holding it up to the light yet it captures enough of the light to reflect a watchable picture. I am using a old Sim 300. The first 16x9 chip dlp and this machine is dim and it lit up this screen just fine. In fact adding black material behind the screen adds depth and 3d appearance and increases black level. Something Cineramix ( Peter) on this forum has made reference to many times.

My screen is a custom curved Lace & Grommet 235:1 ratio from Stewart. I have all their screen materials including their micro perf but because I like to sit so close to my screen I could still see the perfs. I gave Vutec the dimensions and they were able to sell me just the material to fit my screen. Now I have my spkrs behind the screen with no visible structure. It is so cool having the audio come from behind the screen just like a real theater.

I want to comment on moire (spelling)

I can see this artifact with every perf I have tried with my 720P dlp including this material but with this material its barely visible and with just the slightest click of the projectors focus I was able to eliminate the moire. I did not have to defocus the image to the point it caused any softness at all. Displaying fine text appears sharp and clear.

Anyone wanting the Screen Research but cant afford it this is the next closest thing yet affordable. I highly recommend it.

Heres a pic of my bastardized screen. Stewart Frame/Vutec soundscreen material.
http://gallery.avsforum.com/data/509/Picture_0071.jpg

Heres a pic from the up coming movie "Herbie Fully Loaded" in 185:1 HD
http://gallery.avsforum.com/data/509/Picture_020.jpg

Samuel Jackson in the up coming movie "The Man" scope HD. Looks like hes ready to kick some a#$
http://gallery.avsforum.com/data/509/Picture_0151.jpg

Thats all folks.

See less See more
#327 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Siener
Yeah, I'm trying to decide between the BrightWhite and the Silverstar. Given that I will be 1.4 screen widths away from a 110" diagonal screen (with the projector being only 1.5 widths back/12ft), I wonder if the Silverstar will be a bit much. If the BrightWhite is truly 1.5 gain it might be a better match for the Ruby, which has CRT-like contrast.
Contrast isn't the issue with the Ruby. The issue is brightness (it isn't very bright). The Silverstar seems like it would be a good solution for this.

And believe me, the Silverstar will NOT be "too" bright!

#328 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod
The keyword was looks like paint. I know or we know its not paint. It just looks like a metallic silver paint. Obviously it is a fancy type of material. But thanks for clarifying the recipe that makes this awesome screen...
Sorry about that Joe. I didn't mean to infer that's what you or mimason thought it was. It does look like a silver metalic paint and I just didn't want someone that might be interested in it to think that it was.

#330 ·
Hello everyone, sorry for my absence its been a while sense Ive visited this section. Vutec is now back on their feet after that Hurricane :)

I will have more details first of next week but it looks like they are ready with the black backing.

This will also be offered on their motorized version SS and if you know the dimensions of your speaker or speakers and where you want them to go behind the screen the black material will have a cutout provided in place to avoid additional material in front of your speaker.

I promiss to find out more first of the week and follow up with everyone.

#332 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawika36
well, i have had the soundscreen up for about a week now and must say it was worth every penny. the picture looks fantastic. i can see no moire at 11' on a 103" screen. while watching on the screen i need to get very close, in order to see the holes in the screen (i'm talking very close).

sound through the screen is also amazing. using a rs sound meter i found that using a 75db sound without the screen became 74.5-75 with the screen in front of the speakers. i was very impressed. vutec did a great job with this screen. i am sure the screen research screen is wonderful also, but i am glad i saved the money going with the vutec.
Glad to hear you are happy with your screen. I also did not have any Moire with mine and same with several others. As we speak mine is going back up again anticipating a new projector. Thanks for sharing your experience and for the kind words.

#333 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake1
Alan,

What projection technology, or projector, would you consider a good pairing with this screen? My first row viewing distance will be around 9 - 10' away.

Thanks,

Shake1
Do you have a screen size already picked out. If you prefer larger you may want to go with a 1080P projector. Ether the Sony Ruby shipping soon or one of the 1080 1 chip DLPs that should make a showing at CES Jan.

If you plan on using the 1.5 screen width to your seating distance rule of thumb then there are some great deals on 720DLP 1 chip and even 3 chip DLP has dropped to new level. Hard for me to recommend something without knowing a little more about your room and preference of source ect.

One thing to consider is that acoustic screens are negative gain. If you choose a projector with limited light output I would not go to large on the screen size.

#334 ·
To date, I've been leaning towards the Optoma 78/79 units, and would even consider a Ruby (when the dust settles) or possibly a CRT. Also, would even look at a brighter projector such as the Z4, if SDE is not a problem at my viewing distance. However, if I were to go with a screen like this, it would certainly sway my choice in projector technologies. I would like to use as large a screen as comfortable in the room. Room info below:

The room is approximately 18'L x 13'W.

The screen will be mounted on the 13' wall.

Two rows of full size, reclining theater seats are present. Row 1 viewing distance is around 9'. Row 2 will be around 15' - 16'.

The room is being finished out. Seats arrived last week. Built-in cabinet to house a 43U Middle Atlantic Products rotating rack (rear of room) was installed today.

I still need to build the riser for the rear seats (meeting w/millworks rep on Monday to have him do this for me).

I've been doing this project in stages, and have put off the projector/screen selection until I have the seating arrangement complete. Once this is done, I plan to purchase a projector, and use a bed sheet to get an idea of screen size and placement, and then make the decision on the screen. My thoughts are, the longer I put off the projector purchase, the technology and prices only get better (i.e. Ruby coming out, 1080p, CES is around the corner, etc.).

The reason I am interested in an acoustic screen - I am seriously considering using in-wall speakers. As the room is not very wide, I like the idea no speakers intruding into the room. Wall mounted speakers would stick out from the walls 6" - 9". In addition, I will be placing heavy theater drapes on the left, top and right side of the screen. I do not want to use floor standing speakers.

Thanks Alan.

Shake1

#336 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gouger
.......if you know the dimensions of your speaker or speakers and where you want them to go behind the screen the black material will have a cutout provided in place to avoid additional material in front of your speaker.
So the backing isn't accoustically transparent? :confused:

#337 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbkintner
So the backing isn't accoustically transparent? :confused:

I should have done a better job describing it :)

Yes it is. Of course.

You also have the option to have it removed where your speakers will fire through the screen. If your speakers are black or if you leave the grills on you do not want another double layer in front of your speakers. The less the better regardless if its THX or not.

They are giving you both options.

#341 ·

Alan Gouger said:
Hello everyone, sorry for my absence its been a while sense I've visited this section. Vutec is now back on their feet after that Hurricane :)

I understand about the hurricanes :( . I plan to purchase the Sound Screen as well sith the black backing but had to figure how I was going to get my center channel speaker at the proper height as my current stand is not tall enough. Another Florida company also affected by one of the hurricanes, www.soundanchors.com , is building me a custom stand for a very reasonable price. The stand is a modification of this model with a wider bass to hold my heavy center, http://www.soundanchors.com/page9.html They too are running a little behind because of a hurricane.

#342 ·
I remind everyone when they comment on how nice the screen looks with or without a picture on it that it came from Vutec in Florida. I am glad they are getting back on their feet. Kepp making these great screeens Vutec...Nice job!

#344 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake1
The reason I am interested in an acoustic screen - I am seriously considering using in-wall speakers. As the room is not very wide, I like the idea no speakers intruding into the room. Wall mounted speakers would stick out from the walls 6" - 9". In addition, I will be placing heavy theater drapes on the left, top and right side of the screen. I do not want to use floor standing speakers.

Thanks Alan.

Shake1
Inwalls would work very well with an acoustic screen. Would you consider going 235:1 or doing 16x9. A 235:1 screen would allow enough space to place all 3 spkrs behind the screen. Of course going 235:1 means additional expense in that you will need a anamorphic lens and possibly a scaler but it looks sweat.

I have yet to see the Ruby in person, its yet to ship but it is rumored to being low lumens. Combined with the - gain of an acoustic screen and knowing the Ruby will further lose up to 35 to 40% more light over time and become even dimmer this may not be a good canidate for this screen.

I hope to know more in a day or two on some general pricing with the back backing.

Those who work with a local dealer I would update him and let him know about the new backing options.

#345 ·
Thanks Alan. I am definitely considering going the 2.35:1 route. I also took advantage of the VP30 pre-order special from your team earlier this year. The room is 100% light controlled (is an interior room). I've got a call into the Triad sales folks to hook me up with a local dealer, to discuss an in-wall package options and pricing.

The gist of my question is would you think a brighter technology, such as LCD (i.e. AE900, Z4, etc.) would be a better pick for this screen, or would DLP technology work as well (i.e. Optoma H78/79, etc.)? My first row of seating will be 9' - 10' away from the screen, and I am wanting a large screen (comfort permitting).

Shake1

#346 ·
Shake1, I have a Vutec Silverstar 120.5" screen and I use an Optoma H79 and I can say they work very well together. Blacks are nice and inky with great detail. It is just like having a huge plasma on the wall...I also sit about 9 or 10 feet away without issues. I think DLP pjs are a great combo with the Vutec screens...

#347 ·
Thanks joerod. I have followed the SS thread, and really like that option with a DLP, but I am most interested in an acoustic screen that would perform well. For my room, I would prefer mounting the speakers in-wall, behind the screen, and along the sides and rear. My reasons are space, asthetics, and preventing small fingers from poking or knocking over speakers/stands.

#348 ·
Sorry, I got you. I use in wall speakers and I just have my center below the silverstar. I have a pretty big room but I just like the way in walls look. They make the room look even bigger. I am very confident in any screen Vutec makes so I am sure the acoustic will be great. Goodluck...

#350 ·
I am exactly 10.6 feet back from the screen (first row). There has been no issues with sparkle or anything else I read about. HDTV is crisp and clear. My DTHEATER movies have the best clarity. And dvds look great but if there is any issues with the dvd tranfer (source element) then you will see them easier. It is not a distraction for us though. I am completely happy with my theater and its set up...I suddenly have more friends!

#351 ·
Anyone knows the pitch of the woven fibers in the acoustic screen?

Roland

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.