Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2005, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I would recommend the Da Lite High Contrast Cinema Vision if you cost of $300 wasn't so low. $300 is not much to work with. The screen I'm talking about is closer to a grand. For 300 you are looking more at a DIY screen. Go check that forum it has a lot of great info in it.

Joel
Old 12-31-2005, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
That's a pretty tight budget for a difference making screen. I built my own for around $80, of which 1/2 was for the black velvet material for the border. It's not distinguishable from matte white screen material samples I have (I used black out cloth). Now that it's been 18 months I'm looking at ordering some firehawk material to replace the blackout cloth (about $600 last I checked). I'd suggest a similar route for you if at all possible. Keep saving and build your budget. I don't think a $300 screen will get you much better quality than anything you can do yourself. It sounds like you want a screen with some gain, and that's going to cost a bit. If you can build a frame yourself you'll save some money by just ordering material, but it'll still be more than $300.

Budget aside, I also have a 7200 and have evaluated a lot of screen materials for similar criteria you listed. The only two that made a significant improvement over my blackout cloth (IMHO) was the Firehawk and Dalite High Power. However, I have a ceiling mounted projector which eliminated the High Power for me. Good Luck!

MM
Old 01-08-2006, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Two years ago when I was about to purchase my IF 7200, I E-mailed Evan Powell at Projector Central and asked what Screen would be best for my dedicated Home Theater. I wanted a Screen that was 16:9 with a 120" diagional. He gave me two choices:1.Stewart GreyHawk 2. Draper HiDef Grey . I chose the Draper HiDef Grey because it was less expensive than the Stewart GreyHawk and according to Evan the picture quality between them was not that significant. I have found that the Draper HiDef Grey enhances the colours and makes blacker blacks without compromising the whites.

In the past, I have used a Flat white painted wall, with the area around the white painted Flat black and yes the picture was good. I thought that it could not get much better than this, until I received my HiDef Grey Screen. Seeing is believing, the quality was that much better.

A budget of $300 will not purchase a good quality screen. If you want to have a quality picture, which the IF 7200 can give you, it would be worth spending a little more.