Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 1277 Old 01-23-2009, 10:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher View Post

I've had the screen for a year now & I've never seen hot-spotting or sparklies. Presently, I've got a ceiling mounted Epson HC720 on a 120" screen.
I checked the brightness drop-off. After about 30 degrees, the brightness drops off & stays fairly constant after that. I've got loveseats on either side of the room & the picture is still quite watchable. Also, the picture will brighten up a bit when you stand up.

Topher,

A couple of questions:

Where is your projector relative to the top of your screen (in line or "x" inches above etc)?

How wide is your seating area end to end?

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1277 Old 01-23-2009, 06:18 PM

Liked: 11
I've got the projector mounted on a shelf at around 12" below the top of the screen. The brightest picture is definitely at eye level w/ the projector but it is still great a few feet below that.
post #363 of 1277 Old 01-25-2009, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncHTsetter View Post

Topher,

A couple of questions:

Where is your projector relative to the top of your screen (in line or "x" inches above etc)?

How wide is your seating area end to end?

Thanks,

My pj's about 8" above the top of the screen due to a bulkhead & the room's 15' wide. I have loveseats on either side of the room, with viewing angles, I'd say, 30-45 degrees from the screen.
post #364 of 1277 Old 01-30-2009, 08:42 AM

How do I clean this sucker without ruining the surface?
post #365 of 1277 Old 02-03-2009, 01:26 PM

I received my 120" motorized matte white screen, this thing is awesome. Paired with a epson powerlite 720 works gret!
post #366 of 1277 Old 02-04-2009, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher View Post

How do I clean this sucker without ruining the surface?

To answer my own question, I don't it can only be dusted lightly with a duster.
post #367 of 1277 Old 02-16-2009, 01:11 PM

Is anyone using their screens with a BenQ w5000 ?
Does anyone know how these compare to the Da-Lite HP screens ?

I Just bought my first PJ, and need some Ideas on screens (Gain, White, Grey)and what to expect...
My Room is completely light controlled(basement with one twin window)
chris

My First Theater Build:
DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH OVERSTOCK DEALZ.com / CONSUMER DEPOT.com
post #368 of 1277 Old 03-12-2009, 08:18 PM

Here's a question... I want to project a 106 inch picture, however, the 120 inch 1.0 gain screen is almost half the price of the 106 inch screen. Would it look stupid to have the 106 inches projected onto a 120 inch screen?
post #369 of 1277 Old 03-13-2009, 05:30 PM

Ok, so I'm an idiot and didn't quite plan this out ahead of time....

I have to install my screen about 24 inches away from the wall on the ceiling due to my entertainment unit - didn't think the screen would be quite this big, but it is, and it will have to be installed to go down in front of the entertainment unit. That being said, I think I'm going to look at a 106 inch screen instead of 120, and a pull down instead of an electric.

That being said, if I have the centre channel BEHIND the screen, would that be ok? How much will the screen affect the acoustics of the centre channel?
post #370 of 1277 Old 03-24-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousuredo View Post

Is anyone using their screens with a BenQ w5000 ?
Does anyone know how these compare to the Da-Lite HP screens ?

I Just bought my first PJ, and need some Ideas on screens (Gain, White, Grey)and what to expect...
My Room is completely light controlled(basement with one twin window)
chris

I have a w5000 and im using a 120" high gain cinema grey 1.8 screen. When light enters the room, the picture looks washed out and pretty crappy. But if you have a light controlled room, the picture is quite amazing! Deep blacks and nice vivid colors while maintaining a film like apperance.

Im in the process of making my room light controlled at the moment.
post #371 of 1277 Old 03-25-2009, 03:07 PM
Advanced Member

titanle, any horizontal banding or lines on the screen?
post #372 of 1277 Old 03-26-2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike infinity View Post

titanle, any horizontal banding or lines on the screen?

nope, its a great image! But occasionally ill see a sparkle of the screen fabric
post #373 of 1277 Old 03-30-2009, 12:15 PM

Hello,
I also have a Benq W5000 and am considering the 1.8 gain only thing is eastporters doesnt show any in stock...but they do have plenty of 2.4.

My room can be light controlled if I bring down my windows shutters but it would then make the living room a cave which to be honest I am ok with....but I have to say their maybe during the day.... slight if not very little sunlight seepage through cracks but mostly none after I put up more curtains or darker ones. But yea I cant say during the day that it will be total pitch darkness like a black hole if thats what every1 means.

My audience on the other hand will be sitting within 11 feet distance from the screen since there is only 11 feet wall to wall the audience will actually be 10 feet or so.

1.Would u recommend the 2.4 or 1.8 especially with my audience so close...???(not sure if it makes a difference)

Also I will probably be using a mirror to create more throw distance. And would like to reach 100 inches....2. would it hurt for me to go with a 120 inch screen just in case I ever move later and want to go for the bigger picture? or is this a serious no no. Obviously at 100" it would not cover the whole 120" screen. But Im not so fussy about this.

3. Do u guys know if W5000 has rear projection capability so that I can use the mirror throw distance trick?

-Felipe Cumberino
Benq W5000 on a DA-Lite- Adcom GFA 555- Adcom GFP 710 - Oppo BDP-83 - Polk Monitor 10's fully upgraded audio grade xo's. -WDTV Live -Samsung flatscreen part time and non movie duties. Happy Happy Happy.
post #374 of 1277 Old 03-31-2009, 06:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeliCumbe View Post

Hello,
I also have a Benq W5000 and am considering the 1.8 gain only thing is eastporters doesnt show any in stock...but they do have plenty of 2.4.

I have what are probably the last of the 1.8 screens at my house...I am returning them thanks to horizontal bands and 'ladder' marks. Its as though these screens have been sitting rolled up for too long.

They discontinued them shortly after sent an email explaining that the second unit they sent me also had banding.

If you are thinking of the 2.4, just go for the high power da-lite screens which can be had for approximately the same price...and has none of the issues (sparklies, texture, and (for me) banding). I will be ordering one shortly...although I would prefer a high gain gray version.
post #375 of 1277 Old 03-31-2009, 07:42 AM

Liked: 17
So chaulk one more notch for Eastporters. Couldn't resist the sale going on right now.

I live near Hamilton so I emailed to see if I could arrange pickup. Which they did. Booked anytime I wanted to come by (very flexible) and went to pick it up. No trouble finding the house and met with Min, one of the guys fathers who run the online store. He was very curtious and helpful. Even had a printout of the instructions for assembly which was really nice. These helped alot. So delicately placed the the 106" White 1.2 gain Fixed screen into my van. Keep in mind that if it was but a few inches longer I couldn't have picked it up myself. So might I suggest getting it delivered if its over 106" fixed. The thing is that long.

Got it home, barely got it down into the basement and unpacked it. Extremely well packaged by the way. Pretty easy to assemble, by myself. Although got the wife to help with mounting. I think mounting was the hardest part for me. Measuring has never been my strong suit so I spent a lot of time checking over my numbers before I made any holes in the wall. But it paid off and the screen is nice an level and looks like a million bucks.

I did try it out of course with my new Pioneer Elite PRO-FPJ1/RS2 and noticed an overall improvement with Brightness and picture.

Very happy with this purchase, recommend them to everyone. Great bang for your buck.

TIL ALL ARE ONE
post #376 of 1277 Old 03-31-2009, 09:19 AM

Anyone with some advice on my previous questions/post?
Not sure if I should be worried about too much gain with such a relatively close audience seats.
Thanks in advance for any help u can offer.

-Felipe Cumberino
Benq W5000 on a DA-Lite- Adcom GFA 555- Adcom GFP 710 - Oppo BDP-83 - Polk Monitor 10's fully upgraded audio grade xo's. -WDTV Live -Samsung flatscreen part time and non movie duties. Happy Happy Happy.
post #377 of 1277 Old 04-05-2009, 06:59 PM

Can someone take an up close picture in macro mode of the 2.4 screen material. Im trying to compare it to a High power sample and decide if the high power is worth double the price.
post #378 of 1277 Old 04-07-2009, 03:29 PM

No one? I know you guys have Digicams haha.
post #379 of 1277 Old 04-08-2009, 09:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynasty36d View Post

Can someone take an up close picture in macro mode of the 2.4 screen material.

I returned my elunevision screens thanks to banding, texture, and sparklies. I now have a HP screen.

I didn't take a photo, but I can tell you that the EV screens I tried had visibly grainer texture to them even with no image projected on the screen. The coating was not quite uniform either. The glass beads on the HP are much finer and are more uniformly distributed. The HP has virtually the same texture-free look as my older matte white. Images on the EV screen, on the other hand, looks as though they were being projected onto coarse sandpaper.

The HP is, simply, a far better quality product. You can tell as soon as you first pull it down.

Quote:

Im trying to compare it to a High power sample and decide if the high power is worth double the price.

I got the 106" manual pull HP with black case and extra drop for the same price as the EV 106" 1.8 gray....not at all 'double the price'.
post #380 of 1277 Old 04-09-2009, 05:48 AM

Thats true, it is not double the price of the pull down. The fixed frame solutions from Da-lite which is what im considering are all at least double the price though.
post #381 of 1277 Old 04-13-2009, 08:02 AM

I just hung my 120" motorized Luna gray screen. I notice a LOT of wrinkles/creases in the screen all the way across. It seems as if the wrinkles worn through the gray screen material.

I think I have a defective screen. Did anyone else have similar problems with their Elunevision screens? I'm debating if I should just buy a new higher end screen, or bother going through their exchange process.

Thanks,

Ming
post #382 of 1277 Old 04-13-2009, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

I did bother with the exchange on my pull down screen...it was a waste as the second unit had other problems.

Go with HP if you like retroreflective. You don't get the gray but you get a FAR better quality screen.
post #383 of 1277 Old 04-17-2009, 04:27 PM

I'm just about to pull the trigger on an Epson Powerlite c6100 and I'm leaning toward the Elunevision Grey 1.1 gain 106" screen. This combo will be placed in a dedicated 11' X 19' ( X 7' hi) basement room, no window. The pj will be ceiling mounted.

Will I be able to run the pj in economy mode with that kind of combination? Or do I need a plain white or higher gain screen (like the 1.8 or the 2.4) to do this?

This is my first experience in ht so other than better blacks, what are the other advantage/backdraw of this grey screen?

Btw they're out of stock on the 106" white 1.2 gain... So not an option for me anymore... Unless i drop the size down to the 92"...
post #384 of 1277 Old 04-23-2009, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 505
i'm curious to an answer to that question as well.

in the meantime i can add my 2cents.

i currently have an epson HC720 mounted about 15ft back, projecting a 120" image on a white screen(screen came part of a package, and i really have no info other than it's white, 120", and made my studio performance).

i have a virtually black room, the only window is well covered, and behind the screen.

for me, this has been PLENTY bright in theatre black 1. epson doesn't technically have economy and normal mode on this projector, but this is one of the 'economy' modes. switching to 'natural' boosts the brightness(although once calibrated it's barely noticeable) and the noise. unfortunately the noise is far more noticeable than the brightness.

anyway, i was really surprised to read a few pages back about a 1.5 gain screen(i think) not being bright enough for this projector. in my room, with the lights off i can't see anything. with the projector on, and a bright scene being displayed, the room is lit up! and i've got very dark blue carpet, black furniture, and dark brown walls.

from MY experience. i would guess high gain isn't necessary. but i've fairly new to this. it's the first quality projector i've experienced/owned.

i was thinking of grabbing a 106" 1.8gain gray motorized screen, but they seem to be out of stock. not sure if the 1.1 gain gray will work. technically 1.1 should be at least as bright as my current matt white, 1.0(assuming) screen, but i've heard the ratings on the gray screens tend to be pretty optimistic. i'm not sure how much dropping from 120" to 106" will up my brightness either.
post #385 of 1277 Old 09-01-2009, 08:21 AM

Hi guys, first post!

I've recently purchased a Benq MP730, 2200 lumens but only 700:1 contrast.

I too am looking at the EluneVision screens and was wondering if the HD cinema grey would be a good idea? It will be placed in a light controlled room in the basement, fairly dark surroundings (walls, carpet, etc.).

Are the Elunevision screens good quality as well?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks-a-million.
post #386 of 1277 Old 09-01-2009, 09:51 AM

I set-up the Elunevision 1.1 gain cinema grey screen in my basement about a month ago and i'm really happy with it. The frame is well constructed and high quality, and the screen looks great with my projector (infocus X9). my basement is mostly light controlled with mostly dark surroundings as well. The screen does have a slight bit of a texture that you can see, but it's not really noticeable and doesn't bother me at all. i would highly recommend it, and think it's a really good screen for the money!
-Mike
post #387 of 1277 Old 09-01-2009, 10:20 AM

Thanks Mike, appreciate it.
post #388 of 1277 Old 09-30-2009, 03:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hate to bring back an older thread, but apperantly eastporters has new screens I will be posting a review here hopefully tomorrow.

I heard good and bad things about there grey screen, while generally everyone was more happy with the 2.4.

I am currently using the 2.4, I dont know if the grey was that different for mikeinfinity, but one things for sure, I cannot see texture at all. Their are alot of reports of people being able to see it with the grey screen, but I cannot see it at all with the 2.4 screen, the greyscreen mike got i am guessing was the optoma greywolf which received similar complaints mike mentions. The beads on the 2.4 are also much smaller, so by the sound of it, the grey screen must have larger beads. The beads on the 2.4 are like very fine saw dust, they are very fine, i seen maybe a handful of sparkles in over a year viewing, so hardly any. But as far as texture, I cannot see it, on some amazing hd I sometimes sit very close, and look for texture or artifacts on the screen, and i cant see it, it was crystal clear. ANd again as tryg mentioned in his highpower review, retroreflective high gain screens like the 2.4 elunevision one, should eliminate being able to see screen material, thats one of the good things about high gain retroreflective screens, the material disappears. Again I heard a different story for the 1.8, which is more in line with mikes complaints.

My screen coating got messed up though, so I thought i would replace my screen. Today I found out they have new screens they sell now. I will see how these ones are.

Elunevision themselves claim they are optoma made. I did find some, but very little info on the optoma 2.4 gain, i thought the greywolf was all they sold. But their is even one post on here someone asked about the optoma 2.4 gain screen.

Now i dont know if the change in the eastporters screens over the last few months are just a change in greywolf, to greywolf 2. Or a new build and new company altogether. He claimed i would notice new material, larger black boarder. Better quality.

However he told me that this one has no 12 volt trigger, or stopping position. Which sucks.

If the screen is better quality i wont be sending it back. If its similar, or god forbid worse, I just cant see me being happy with it, same screen, but no height adjustment and 12 volt trigger are huge drawbacks.

I will say though I was again very happy with the 2.4 gain, not many have the 2.4 and as mike infinity did, he compared the grey 1.8 gain and made assumptions about the 2.4. With the 2.4 glass beads are very fine, and the material dissappears completely when the projector is on. It looks very clear, again thanks to the high gain retroreflective screen attributes.

And again it also needs to be set up reasonably close to eye level, i am within about 2 and a half feet of it, any closer and i just felt it to bright. As tryg mentioned in his highpower review, projector needs to be near eye level, or else you simply get an off axis darker looking screen.

Once again with my 2.4 i cannot see screen texture at all, especially if the projector is positioned proper for a high gain screen. I also rarely notice a sparkly, maybe 9 times in a half an half i seen one, you have to be looking just at the right angle, on the right scene at the right time, the beads on mine from last year are very fine, not big like mikes 1.8 gain screen.
post #389 of 1277 Old 10-01-2009, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Just to update this. I just spoke to one of the eastporters members. He mentioned to me they are begining to get new screens. These new ones will be a bit more expensive. But will be tab tensioned. He said he got a sample of the material yesterday and its way better.

He mentioned its silver? But only a 1.4 gain, but said its brighter then my current 2.4, and its angular reflective, not retroreflective.

Im going to try to see if i can get more info on it. They were very helpful.
post #390 of 1277 Old 10-29-2009, 07:54 AM

Well i order a 120" 1.2gain white fixed screen from eastporters on Friday and i received it yesterday. 3 days for shipping, quick shipping all the way across the country. The box was packaged really good if the shipping companys managed to damage the box then they are totaly careless, this was well packaged. I put it together in 45minutes, went together easy for me at least. I have her hung up on the wall and looks great, now for the test tonight to see how it works
Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Epson , Epson Emp Tw600 Replacement Projector Lamp Elplp35 V13h010l35
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page