Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1277 Old 07-07-2010, 03:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastuch View Post

I'm going to put my couch on some milk crates and see if I can see over the front row seating.

Oh my god you have to take a picture of that. I so want to see that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1277 Old 07-07-2010, 05:09 PM
Just add water and stir

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 461
Quote:

I would love to do a 120 inch screen but my room dimensions are:

The room is 113 Inches Wide, 83 inches tall (7 foot ceiling), and 316 Inches Deep (great for multi rowed seating).

So if I got the 120 inch screen (It's 110.7 inches accross) I would only have 1 inch of play on either side of the screen which is a little crazy. My signature has photos (old, the ceiling is finished now) and more details on my room.

I have ****** tower speakers on either side of the screen (Yes I know this is acoustically evil). I don't want to do an AT screen.

I am looking at your photo, and the image of the on wall screen looks good (in terms of size)...but I am just guessing here, but that is nowhere near 120" is it? You may regret such a large screen in setting such as your's...a lot of advice has been given already, and I think you are pretty set on doing it your own way, though if it's an opinion you would like, I say choose a balance between acoustic awesomeness, and visual slamdunk. Get those towers off the side walls, give 'em room to work for you, and decrease the size of the screen a little. At 7' feet tall, you really don't have a lot of space for such a monster screen when you are considering a second row?
post #453 of 1277 Old 07-07-2010, 05:10 PM
Just add water and stir

post #454 of 1277 Old 07-07-2010, 09:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I posted my room dimensions earlier. I have a 112 inch screen right now but I am dropping down to 106 with the Elune I ordered. I will probably replace the towers with bookshelves and put them under the screen when I do my big speaker upgrade next year. I'm thinking the Axiom Grand-master minus the sub.

I don't need to elevate the floor to have a second row. I can just build a big box for my couch.
post #455 of 1277 Old 07-07-2010, 09:46 PM
Just add water and stir

Quote:

Zulu ive said it multiple times already. 106 inches is what I ordered. I was arguing against 120.

OMG! So sorry, I was really tired when I looked. I apologize. I am glad to hear you are decided, and I wish you well with your new screen.
post #456 of 1277 Old 07-08-2010, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuluwalker View Post

OMG! So sorry, I was really tired when I looked. I apologize. I am glad to hear you are decided, and I wish you well with your new screen.

No worries!

Thanks for your advice about the speakers. Even with the 106 inch screen it still has a 3 inch border so I won't be able to move the speakers off the wall. I'll have to invest in bookshelves.
post #457 of 1277 Old 07-09-2010, 05:11 AM

I got my Elara 2 screen and so far I'm a little disappointed. With a pure white background I can see a white sheen and waves in the screen. I think I may not have tightened the tensioning screws enough. I've looked at both guides (the one that came with it) and the one on Eastporters site and neither give a good idea on what is tight enough. Right now I have the screen resting against the wall at a bit of an angle so that may be part of the sheen issue. Also I haven't calibrated to the new display yet. I'm comparing it vs the custom paint mix that I used (6 coats). I have to say that the paint is winning right now.

The only thing I find amazing about the elunevision is the contrast is significantly improved. Color vibrancy and brightness are a lot better while maintaining the same black level I had before. Tonight I'll tighten the tensioning screws a bit more and mount it to the wall.

Paint mix that I am comparing elune to:

Screen (D.I.Y.): Thanks to Tiddler (Todd) for the paint advice. It's still not perfect after six coats, the guy who did the drywall before i moved in did a brutal job.

~N8.5 DIY Tint {Medium Gray} w/ Poly mix.
Quart Custom Tint
Behr UPW (1850,4850)
0 6 0 Lamp Black
0 1 1 Brown Oxide
0 0 1 Medium Yellow
post #458 of 1277 Old 07-09-2010, 08:00 AM
MJ1

Did you use the 4 metal rods that came with it?? once you install those rods in the 4 corners..tighten all 4 sides equally until the screen is pefectly flat. If you have it resting on the floor, you are likely to see waves in the screen because of weight that goes on the bottom. What i've done with my screens, tighten it equally from all sides and then hang the screen. Once the screen is hanging of the drywall, tighten some the screws again whereever you see a wave. You should be able to get to all the screws from sides and the bottom of the screen and sometimes top as long as it's not right against the ceiling. Leaving waves and not having the screen perfectly flat will make a huge difference in picture quality. good luck. let us know how it goes
post #459 of 1277 Old 07-09-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1 View Post

Did you use the 4 metal rods that came with it?? once you install those rods in the 4 corners..tighten all 4 sides equally until the screen is pefectly flat. If you have it resting on the floor, you are likely to see waves in the screen because of weight that goes on the bottom. What i've done with my screens, tighten it equally from all sides and then hang the screen. Once the screen is hanging of the drywall, tighten some the screws again whereever you see a wave. You should be able to get to all the screws from sides and the bottom of the screen and sometimes top as long as it's not right against the ceiling. Leaving waves and not having the screen perfectly flat will make a huge difference in picture quality. good luck. let us know how it goes

I don't see how you could even mount the screen to the frame without the metal rods. I assembled the screen with great care and checked both sets of instructions at each step.

Do either of you (ZULU & MJ1) have a computer connected to your PJ? I want to know if you guys see any imperfections with a pure white screen.

Do either of you see a bit of reflective sheen towards the center of the screen?

While lying on the floor my screen looks totally flat but once I blast light at it I can see plenty of tiny wrinkles. I have it tight enough that the screen doesn't sag at all. I'll be finishing the assembly later tonight and tightening further.
post #460 of 1277 Old 07-09-2010, 01:02 PM
MJ1

No i don't have a computer connected. I only watch DVDs and Blurays on it. It might be something to do with projector overscan or most probably due to having waves in the screen. I'm just guessing. I'd have to see to be able to tell you what it might be. Can you post screenshots of what you are seeing? On a side note, i don't think it'll be an issue during normal tv or movie watching because you won't really have a pure white background. But certainly work on those waves you described above. Screen should be flat. Once you have the screen mounted, you'll know which screws to tighten.
post #461 of 1277 Old 07-09-2010, 01:38 PM

Seeing as how my PC is the center of my home theater, having poor quality whites isn't an option. I web-browse on a 106 inch screen for a reason.
post #462 of 1277 Old 07-09-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:

Do either of you see a bit of reflective sheen towards the center of the screen?

I noted that in my review. But it's really only noticeable on all white and does not bother me during normal viewing.
post #463 of 1277 Old 07-09-2010, 09:21 PM
Just add water and stir

Quote:

I don't see how you could even mount the screen to the frame without the metal rods. I assembled the screen with great care and checked both sets of instructions at each step.

Do either of you (ZULU & MJ1) have a computer connected to your PJ? I want to know if you guys see any imperfections with a pure white screen.

While lying on the floor my screen looks totally flat but once I blast light at it I can see plenty of tiny wrinkles. I have it tight enough that the screen doesn't sag at all. I'll be finishing the assembly later tonight and tightening further.

I did connect a PC for a short period, and I experimented with different stills and test screens. I found the quality to as substantial as with Blu-ray.

What I think is being discussed as an "imperfection" is something I eluded to before in a old review I made. If we are talking about the same thing, and you are watching a pure white screen, then yes, I too can make out a slight texture to the screen. Problem is I have a great deal of difficulty focusing on it, it comes and goes, when and IF I notice it all. I believe my eyes do not seperate the percieved texture very accurately, and as a result i see it sometimes, and not at all - all the while watching a single still image.

Now, I am using a silver screen. If someone is using a white screen, I am sorry I do not know about the imperfections you may or may not find. If we have the same screen, then I will assure that after a good strong callibration, the differences are so fabulous that you will not likely see the imperfection again. I just watched Book of Eli, and there are many white and bright sky scenes, I did not even once find myself aware of anything but a crystal clear image.

I thought about that angle of the image hitting the screen, while it rests leaning against the wall, and I believe the issues will mostly resolve itself once properly hung, tightened and positioned. If not, it may also be possible that you are in one of two perdicaments: One, you are sensitive to the slightest of flaws, and need a top quality best you can buy screen. Two, you may have a defective screen.

I'd also like to point out what we all know, watching a plain white screen is boring. Why do we ALL do it? I imagine it's an act of the insane, so we should only find it the next step that we start going crazy about plain white screen defects. My prescription: watch a good movie! Have a cold one and get lost in the game. If at the end of that the screen drives you nuts, return it. Other than that, white is white, and if you put the most beautiful person in the world under a huge light, flaws will show.

Hang it on the wall, watch a movie, and forget about it!

I would be very interested though how many owners are willing to return their screens and or pay more for a new one, vs. buying a can of dark paint and painting that front wall darker...if you could, would you be willing to paint the ceiling darker? The benefits would be instant.

Please let us know how you all find the screen. I love it.
post #464 of 1277 Old 07-12-2010, 08:15 PM

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone here has any experience with the Triton 16:9 manual screens? I'm looking at one of the 92" models. I haven't picked yet between the different gains (or white or grey) because to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure what the differences are and which would be best for me. Right now I'm just looking for general impressions or reviews on the quality of the manual screens. Thanks
post #465 of 1277 Old 07-18-2010, 11:52 AM

Hey zuluwalker... I was looking at your blue patern screenshot and I don't know if it'S only the picture but It look like the middle fo your screen is brighter than the edge.. could it be a small hotspot from the Elara II screen ?

I have the same projector as you and I'm still debating between the Elara2, White 1.2 or Grey 1.1.

I want a improve the black but I want a keep a bright picture and as well a good angle view. but I'm allergic to hotspot !! I can't support that.
post #466 of 1277 Old 07-18-2010, 11:44 PM
Just add water and stir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spekter View Post

Hey zuluwalker... I was looking at your blue patern screenshot and I don't know if it'S only the picture but It look like the middle fo your screen is brighter than the edge.. could it be a small hotspot from the Elara II screen ?

I have the same projector as you and I'm still debating between the Elara2, White 1.2 or Grey 1.1.

I want a improve the black but I want a keep a bright picture and as well a good angle view. but I'm allergic to hotspot !! I can't support that.

Excellent question: I would not go as far as to call it the often mis-term-menor "Hot spot" hahahaha

Well, what you are seeing is the difference between a higher gain screen vs. it's ideal viewing angle. The higher the gain, the brighter the center of screen and the more ideal the main viewing position. The lower the gain, the uniform the picture. So...why would anyone in their right mind set up their guests to have a crappy viewing? That would be an over-reaction. The difference is slight at 1.4 gain, very slight. Click on my signature to see my room. As you will see we have two rows with three seats each. I sit in all of them. I do not have a crappy seat in the house. I do though, watch a lot more movies alone, than with guests. So I want the very best viewing for myself in my seat under the sword, but the flexability to give all guests a great image and viewing. The silver screen grants us a very high end image...very high end. I recommend it to you. Fully endorsing it.

If there are other factors influencing your decision, then take all things into account, such as budget and the rest. We did not blink at the cost, but you may feel differently. Or, you may have a family of five who always watch movies together and don't need the hassle of a best possible view. Realistically these screens kick ass, and I can not fault them. The supposed Hot Spot you read about may often be a split between defect, and misunderstanding of gain, and how it works.

Please let me know if this helps. I wish you all the best.
post #467 of 1277 Old 07-19-2010, 09:02 AM

Thx for ou for all the details.. you really know how to make people feel good haha...

Well yesterday, I tested my epson 8100 on friend screen projector the first Elunevision White 1.4 gain (bought in 2005).

I was really happy with the image but I wish I could have a little more white witout affecting the black. so when I put the Living room setting (tweaked) I like the white but I was trying too keep natural or even Theater mode.. but in these two setting the white is white but not as much as the Living Room color.

The new elunevision white has a gain of 1.2 so the black will be a bit.. just a bit better but the white might be less white, so this is why I was looking for the Elara II silver screen because based on your review it increase the brightness and keep a good black.

the only think is that my room is mode wide than narrow. so I have two 6 seat beside each one that make a small curve but the last one on the left or right is at an angle of 40-45... I might have to sacrifice the angle view a little bit.

How does it look if you go like at an angle view of 20 degree ? is it really dark ? is it like not watchable at all. I'm not expecting to watch movie with this angle view BUT more angle view I have better for me in case if family decide to come over and we have like 7-8 people watching the movie.. I will give my best place to someone else and probably seat on the edge

one more thing: when you have a scene with a lot of brightness (like a sky view or like one of your screenshot with a boat.. do you feel that the centre of the screen is too muich white ? like the white is really white, almost like a small reflection ? it's hard to explain.. but I'm sure you understand.
Thx again for your info.
post #468 of 1277 Old 07-23-2010, 02:43 PM

Spekter I would not worry too much about the viewing angle. Attached is a photo of my setup with an 8100 and the 106" Elara II. I have a very critical friend who does not mind sitting in the loveseat off to the side. I've sat in any spot and been able to see the image just fine. Maybe others are more picky than me though. I was going for more of a multipurpose room than dedicated theater. I wanted the theater to be somewhat discrete, thus the in-wall speakers. The space behind the main couch has a table for playing cards or other board games.
LL
post #469 of 1277 Old 07-23-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbeaver View Post

Spekter I would not worry too much about the viewing angle. Attached is a photo of my setup with an 8100 and the 106" Elara II. I have a very critical friend who does not mind sitting in the loveseat off to the side. I've sat in any spot and been able to see the image just fine. Maybe others are more picky than me though. I was going for more of a multipurpose room than dedicated theater. I wanted the theater to be somewhat discrete, thus the in-wall speakers. The space behind the main couch has a table for playing cards or other board games.

Really Clean setup Mine is almost the same but unfortunaly I had to go with the White 1.2 gain screen for now.. (money reason...) but dave told me that they are working on an upgrade feature for people who want a exchange their screen in the future so I don't have any more details but for now I will enjoye the white and maybe next summer I'll upgrade.. I'm sure the white 1.2 will be fine for now I'll post some screenshot once my multimedia room will be more presentable.. now it's a mess !
post #470 of 1277 Old 07-26-2010, 08:32 PM

Thanks Spekter. I've got all the electronics in a closet in the back of the room and a 2" smurf tube in the ceiling running up to the projector to pull cables through. I have to open the door though when I use it because I have not decided yet how to vent it. One of the walls is a cold air return for the adjacent room. I'm torn between trying to vent into that and hoping to pull enough air through the bottom of the door, or pulling air in through the air return in the adjacent room and exhausting it out the ceiling into the floor joists. I'm very happy with my setup. The only snag I ran into is the closet was too far for the Rockband receivers so I had to run an active USB repeater cable to a USB hub on top of the projector. All my other wireless controllers have worked fine.
post #471 of 1277 Old 07-27-2010, 12:27 PM

Eastporters provided me with a full refund with no hassles. Excellent service. I would buy from them again. If your planning on using a 1080p projector I would recommend against the Elara II. The screen has too much texture. Eastporters sent me some test material with lower texture but I haven't received it yet.

Edit: Spekter the "too much white" in the center is called hot spotting. I had it on mine too.
post #472 of 1277 Old 07-28-2010, 12:33 PM

If anyone would like to see some shots of my Elunevision 120" 1.2 white screen, either in action, or my whole theatre room, check out this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=18972321
post #473 of 1277 Old 07-29-2010, 06:55 PM

Quote:

Eastporters provided me with a full refund with no hassles. Excellent service. I would buy from them again. If your planning on using a 1080p projector I would recommend against the Elara II. The screen has too much texture. Eastporters sent me some test material with lower texture but I haven't received it yet.

Edit: Spekter the "too much white" in the center is called hot spotting. I had it on mine too.

The texture kind of depends on what you are looking for. I find it helps minimize the screen door effect I was able to slightly make out when projecting onto the wall. Either way I like the colors and contrast I get with the Elara II.
post #474 of 1277 Old 07-29-2010, 07:17 PM
Just add water and stir

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxk83 View Post

If anyone would like to see some shots of my Elunevision 120" 1.2 white screen, either in action, or my whole theatre room, check out this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=18972321

I loved the link for your theater room! Great work. We share so many items for equipment!
post #475 of 1277 Old 07-29-2010, 07:20 PM
Just add water and stir

Quote:

I just checked out your link, nice colour combo, very good work! This is fantastic that so many of us are producing good quality theater rooms and with good results!
post #476 of 1277 Old 08-18-2010, 11:57 AM
Just add water and stir

Anyone been contacted by management at Eastporters lately?
post #477 of 1277 Old 09-13-2010, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuluwalker View Post

Anyone been contacted by management at Eastporters lately?

contacted about what? i'm planning to buy a screen from them. is there something i should know before ordering?
post #478 of 1277 Old 09-14-2010, 09:59 AM
Just add water and stir

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmmay View Post

contacted about what? i'm planning to buy a screen from them. is there something i should know before ordering?

Nothing bad at all. They just asked me for photos of my theater room to use, I said sure. I was curious if other's had been asked too. I LOVE my screen! Good choice! Excellent customer service.
post #479 of 1277 Old 09-16-2010, 09:04 PM
Advanced Member

Has anyone switched from a DIY (blackout fabric or other material) screen to an Elunevision white 1.2 screen? I'm interested to hear how much of an improvement the Elunevision material makes for your image over the typical DIY solution.

Paul
post #480 of 1277 Old 09-29-2010, 11:13 AM

I got a tabtensioned one but I don't know how to adjust the upper limit. Can anyone please help me?
Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Epson , Epson Emp Tw600 Replacement Projector Lamp Elplp35 V13h010l35
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page