EluneVision screens - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 1285 Old 12-30-2010, 12:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I wonder if you guys can help me with this. Finally had time to put my new screen up (Elara II silver perlux) and my new Epson 8700UB projector. This is my first projector setup and it's in my (walkout) basement, so lots of windows but installing good blinds. I plan to use it 90% for movies and gaming and almost always at night. I bought the Elara II screen at 1.4 gain thinking that it won't hurt to get some image with ambient light and it's great for that but what I find is that I have trouble getting deep blacks even compared to a light-beige painted wall. Seems like any source of light (i.e. step lights) get amplified and result in brighter black, if that makes sence. Also, I really find the screen very "sparkly" on bright images and that is very annoying. I realize and agree that this is a great built screen for the price and am not complaining but I'm trying to understand this whole complex projection triangle. What I am considering is exchanging the screen for the Elunevision Reference series with Eastporters but wonder if it would help with my issues at all. I guess I'm willing to compromize on ambient light viewing as long as I can get rid of the sparkles and improve my blacks. Any advice? - sorry about the long post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1285 Old 12-30-2010, 01:36 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by enoga View Post

I wonder if you guys can help me with this. Finally had time to put my new screen up (Elara II silver perlux) and my new Epson 8700UB projector. This is my first projector setup and it's in my (walkout) basement, so lots of windows but installing good blinds. I plan to use it 90% for movies and gaming and almost always at night. I bought the Elara II screen at 1.4 gain thinking that it won't hurt to get some image with ambient light and it's great for that but what I find is that I have trouble getting deep blacks even compared to a light-beige painted wall. Seems like any source of light (i.e. step lights) get amplified and result in brighter black, if that makes sence. Also, I really find the screen very "sparkly" on bright images and that is very annoying. I realize and agree that this is a great built screen for the price and am not complaining but I'm trying to understand this whole complex projection triangle. What I am considering is exchanging the screen for the Elunevision Reference series with Eastporters but wonder if it would help with my issues at all. I guess I'm willing to compromize on ambient light viewing as long as I can get rid of the sparkles and improve my blacks. Any advice? - sorry about the long post.

Disappointing that you see sparkles ... I had this screen in my list of screens that I was considering, but that is also a deal breaker for me. I was told by Eastporters that their reference screen had no visible texture or graininess whatsoever, but then they advertise the same for the Perlux and that apparently is not the case.
post #543 of 1285 Old 12-30-2010, 07:13 AM

I installed my 8700 and 100" Reference screen yesterday. The reference screen will only work in a light controlled enviroment. Every little bit of ambient light washes the picture out more and more. By keeping the area near the screen dark I can turn some lights on at the rear of the room and have a decent picture under Dynamic mode still.

Turn the lights off, set it to THX and get ready for an amazing experience. The screen is absolutly pure, no hotspots, no sparkles, near 180 degree viewing angle!
post #544 of 1285 Old 12-30-2010, 12:21 PM

enoga, send me an email/contact us through our website, I'll work with you to make sure your experience with our reference screen is a breathtaking one, if you choose to go that route.

Milosh Jovic
post #545 of 1285 Old 12-30-2010, 03:01 PM

Thanks Milosh, I've talked to Dave this morning and I have a Reference screen coming. I can't wait. Great customer service, nice to see you guys participating in the forum discussions, awesome way to get feedback on your products. I'll be sure to share my experience with the new screen.
post #546 of 1285 Old 12-30-2010, 03:46 PM

I got a fixed and pull down from eastpoters and like them both both at 92"
The drop down wrinkle seems to not show which is good

What's a reference screen

Tv is chewing gum for your eyes
Denon 2307ci|Paradigm Speakers 7.1|PS3|LED 42" LCD|Panasonic Ae4000u projector
post #547 of 1285 Old 12-30-2010, 07:24 PM
Just add water and stir

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by enoga View Post

Thanks Milosh, I've talked to Dave this morning and I have a Reference screen coming. I can't wait. Great customer service, nice to see you guys participating in the forum discussions, awesome way to get feedback on your products. I'll be sure to share my experience with the new screen.

Very exciting! I am eager to hear what you will think of the reference series in comparison. I too own the Silver Elara II, and yes the sparkles or "texture" is obvious during some scenes and can be a major distraction for some, but other will not notice it all. I liken it the ability of some to catch the small holes in some screens for speakers to be placed behind it, or other similar effects - not always clear to everyone, but if you see it, it will be noticeable.

The benefit of Reference screen is that it takes the whole video image up to the next level, that just out of touch(usually big $$$) piece of tech that one needs to bring the best quality home. You should be very, very happy if the current reviews are as great as we are learning!

Keep us updated!

I love this company! Eastporters has been one of those I refer other to without hesitation, just like Epson.

|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
 |
post #548 of 1285 Old 01-01-2011, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuluwalker View Post

Very exciting! I am eager to hear what you will think of the reference series in comparison. I too own the Silver Elara II, and yes the sparkles or "texture" is obvious during some scenes and can be a major distraction for some, but other will not notice it all. I liken it the ability of some to catch the small holes in some screens for speakers to be placed behind it, or other similar effects - not always clear to everyone, but if you see it, it will be noticeable.

The benefit of Reference screen is that it takes the whole video image up to the next level, that just out of touch(usually big $$$) piece of tech that one needs to bring the best quality home. You should be very, very happy if the current reviews are as great as we are learning!

Keep us updated!

I love this company! Eastporters has been one of those I refer other to without hesitation, just like Epson.

You have an awesome HT room, this screen will look amazing in your light controled enviroment. I watched my first Blueray in the dark last night and it is an amazing screen. I just cant get over the off axis performance, it's really good.
post #549 of 1285 Old 01-01-2011, 08:25 AM
Just add water and stir

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgcabby View Post

You have an awesome HT room, this screen will look amazing in your light controled enviroment. I watched my first Blueray in the dark last night and it is an amazing screen. I just cant get over the off axis performance, it's really good.

Thank you. Movies in the dark just feel so good, whereas TV just sometimes needs to be in the light. I find I wil watch all my news programs upstairs in the south facing (bright) kitchen, and very rarely if ever in the theatre room.

Quality at this price range is often not there, but this is exciting news for guys on a budget or those looking to spend elsewhere in their set-up. I am looking forward to an upgrade in the future (timeline unknown).

Keep us updated, and post some pics soon! (don't be discouraged by crappy pics at first, keep trying different settings on your camera, and look up some tips for dark scenes online for better shots).

|
 |
|
 |
post #550 of 1285 Old 01-03-2011, 07:29 AM

The only camera I have is an Iphone 3GS so the pics are pretty bad but I will post them any way. This looks way better in real life.

Attachment 196452
Attachment 196453
Attachment 196454
Attachment 196455
Attachment 196456
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #551 of 1285 Old 01-03-2011, 08:13 PM

I finally got a chance to do a few screen shots from my Studio Reference 108" Screen. The shots were taken from my primary seating position which is at about 12 feet.

The source material is all from satellite, a combination of last night's Ram/Seahawks game, a funny beverage commercial and Avatar. Hopefully I'll get a chance to do some more this week. These shots are taken with zero ambient light
LL
LL
LL
LL

Price is what you pay. Value is what you get.
post #552 of 1285 Old 01-03-2011, 09:09 PM
Just add water and stir

Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneofLA View Post

I finally got a chance to do a few screen shots from my Studio Reference 108" Screen. The shots were taken from my primary seating position which is at about 12 feet.

The source material is all from satellite, a combination of last night's Ram/Seahawks game, a funny beverage commercial and Avatar. Hopefully I'll get a chance to do some more this week. These shots are taken with zero ambient light

Forgive me if you already said, but what are you projecting with?

|
 |
|
 |
post #553 of 1285 Old 01-03-2011, 09:11 PM
Just add water and stir

Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneofLA View Post

My current setup is an Epson 8700UB mounted at 17.5' with seating at 12'. I will be moving the projector to 12' very soon to improve light output.

answered it myself!

They look great. I was startled to see the football pic, it had fantastic depth. I am sure with a better photo it would show us what you are seeing.

Nice!!! Thank you!!! Keep 'em coming!!!

|
 |
|
 |
post #554 of 1285 Old 01-04-2011, 02:38 PM

The football pic doesn't do it much justice, it gets better. I'll try to get a few more pics on the weekend.

As an update, this is with the projector moved to a 12ft throw and even though it was a little work I'm glad I did it. So far it's been better in every viewing scenario.

Price is what you pay. Value is what you get.
post #555 of 1285 Old 01-04-2011, 05:35 PM

Thats good to hear, I'm at 16' right now. When I finish the basement I want to put it as close as possible for a 100" screen.
post #556 of 1285 Old 01-05-2011, 05:25 PM

I'd love a Studio Reference. However I've actually found that I spend about 80% of my time watching with low light and I think my Silver Elara II is probably better for that. Seem to spend a lot more time watching TV and playing video games then watching movies.
post #557 of 1285 Old 01-06-2011, 07:54 AM

yes, with ambient light, I'd recommend the perlux or any of the screens with higher gain. The advantage of the reference is the uniform reflectivity, but that also means if you have ambient light, it will degrade the image.

I have the 8350 and it doesn't have very good blacks compared to the Epson UB series, so those that want better blacks, I would recommend a gray screen.

The reference is great though, no texture whatsoever, perfectly uniform, and movies in the dark look fantastic!
post #558 of 1285 Old 01-06-2011, 10:18 AM
Just add water and stir

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbeaver View Post

I'd love a Studio Reference. However I've actually found that I spend about 80% of my time watching with low light and I think my Silver Elara II is probably better for that. Seem to spend a lot more time watching TV and playing video games then watching movies.

My Silver Elara II delivers some knock out, 100% light control, movies too! Smokes me everytime! As for my distance, I set at 12 1/2 feet. With option to set at 17 feet if I ever upgrade to a projector asking that from me.

|
 |
|
 |
post #559 of 1285 Old 01-06-2011, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am also interested in the Reference series screen. Has anyone made a comparison or have experience with the Da-Lite Cinemavision material (1.3 gain) for picture quality? I have a light controlled room. Use is 90% movies and 10% Satellite.

Thanks
Rod
post #560 of 1285 Old 01-06-2011, 11:03 AM
Just add water and stir

Elara II Silver

Epson 8100

|
 |
|
 |
post #561 of 1285 Old 01-06-2011, 11:04 AM
Just add water and stir

Elara II Silver

The Thin Red Line

Epson 8100

|
 |
|
 |
post #562 of 1285 Old 01-06-2011, 11:05 AM
Just add water and stir

Elara II Silver

The Thin Red Line

Epson 8100

|
 |
|
 |
post #563 of 1285 Old 01-06-2011, 11:08 AM
Just add water and stir

Elara II Silver

Some HD nature show

Epson 8100

|
 |
|
 |
post #564 of 1285 Old 01-06-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:

I am also interested in the Reference series screen. Has anyone made a comparison or have experience with the Da-Lite Cinemavision material (1.3 gain) for picture quality? I have a light controlled room. Use is 90% movies and 10% Satellite.

Thanks
Rod

We did a quick comparison of this material during the testing phase. The Cinemavision has hot-spotting (as you would expect from a 1.3 gain material), it has some limited texturing, and it shifts shifts all colors towards the yellow, so it's not a colour-neutral material. It's the better material if you're watching it in an ambient-light environment, but as far as wanting the best in a light-controlled room, you'll get superior results all-around from the EluneVision Reference screen.
post #565 of 1285 Old 01-06-2011, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by miloshj View Post

We did a quick comparison of this material during the testing phase. The Cinemavision has hot-spotting (as you would expect from a 1.3 gain material), it has some limited texturing, and it shifts shifts all colors towards the yellow, so it's not a colour-neutral material. It's the better material if you're watching it in an ambient-light environment, but as far as wanting the best in a light-controlled room, you'll get superior results all-around from the EluneVision Reference screen.

Thanks for the quick reply! Everything you said about my current screen I agree with. Now I will be selling this screen and make the jump in the near future.

Rod
post #566 of 1285 Old 01-06-2011, 03:38 PM

Does anyone know which EluneVision screen would give the best performance for 3D (using the RS40 projector) with the projector mounted off-center horizontally ?

Also, do any of the EluneVision screens preserve polarization for improving 3D performance (less loss of light) ?

At the moment I'm thinking of getting an Elite PowerGain screen (which is angular reflective and according to one of the other threads preserves polarization to a high degree). How would the EluneVision screens compare to that one?
post #567 of 1285 Old 01-07-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuluwalker View Post
Elara II Silver

Epson 8100
This screen shot has a lot of black crush. Are you able to see the stars better in person or do the silver\\grey screens take away from the bright whites since it will color the image somewhat?
post #568 of 1285 Old 01-07-2011, 06:18 PM
Just add water and stir

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgcabby View Post

This screen shot has a lot of black crush. Are you able to see the stars better in person or do the silver\\grey screens take away from the bright whites since it will color the image somewhat?

Black Crush is my fault, I don't know how to take good pictures in the dark. It is fantastic, and infact one of my favorite star scenes out of any movie, with exception of the last Star Trek.

|
 |
|
 |
post #569 of 1285 Old 01-11-2011, 10:10 AM
ody

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawstar View Post

Does anyone know which EluneVision screen would give the best performance for 3D (using the RS40 projector) with the projector mounted off-center horizontally ?

Also, do any of the EluneVision screens preserve polarization for improving 3D performance (less loss of light) ?

At the moment I'm thinking of getting an Elite PowerGain screen (which is angular reflective and according to one of the other threads preserves polarization to a high degree). How would the EluneVision screens compare to that one?

I'd like to know as well would the EluneVision Reference Studio 1.0 Gain work in this case?
miloshj?
post #570 of 1285 Old 01-11-2011, 05:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I'd like to know as well would the EluneVision Reference Studio 1.0 Gain work in this case?
miloshj?

With the JVC RS40 (and RS50/60 for that matter), you don't need to take into consideration screen ploarization, since it does not use polarization technology. The Reference screen would be much better with this projector than a silver screen.

Milosh
Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Epson , Epson Emp Tw600 Replacement Projector Lamp Elplp35 V13h010l35
Gear in this thread - Tw600 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page