EluneVision screens - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 1309 Old 01-30-2011, 11:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
normal/dynamic appear too bright for blu-ray..I will save those for superbowl ...maybe..if I turn lights on ...

normal, dynamic
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1309 Old 01-30-2011, 11:46 PM

Here is the same scene at three levels of extra lighting...
trust me, in reality I can live with the lights on at the back of the room no problem. These images over state the differences seen to the eye.
recall my ceiling and walls are black.
LL
LL
LL
post #633 of 1309 Old 01-30-2011, 11:49 PM

Some screen shots are attached.
I find the new wide screen image well worth the investment.
This screen is plenty bright and I love the colours.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #634 of 1309 Old 01-30-2011, 11:51 PM

last set..tried to show off high contrast and some skin colours
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #635 of 1309 Old 01-30-2011, 11:54 PM

here is the set of pictures showing my new screen installed.
as you can see, it is almost wall to wall giving me the biggest image I can manage..room size is approx 12.5' x 25'
black is beautiful...
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #636 of 1309 Old 01-30-2011, 11:56 PM

This shows my front screen/speaker layout with contrast of picture blown out in B&W to give some size reference..hard to do with regular flash as everything is black!
...I think my old 8 mm projector may be somewhat dim while the AE4000 really does this reference 100 screen well!

(note walls are not smooth...has textured fiberdecor covering for sound reflectivity)
night all
LL
LL
post #637 of 1309 Old 01-31-2011, 11:23 AM

You guys did a fantastic job with your reviews, and included screenshots.
I'm a bit embarrased calling my post a "review" next to you guys, but I feel it's at least worth it to readers of this thread.

As I posted above, I had some problems with the first screen I received, but customer service was fantastic. I would have zero problems ordering from Easporters again.

The assembly of my 108" reference screen was accomplished by myself, alone, for the most part. The instructions were fine, and lining everything up and placing the tension tabs, washers and screws was easy. Stretching the screen onto the tension tabs takes effort, but nothing one person can't handle by themselves.

When it came to to tighten the screws, I found a second set of hands helped to push the corners together, while the other person tightens the screws to ensure a perfect seam at the corners.

Two people definately helps to mount it on the wall. There were wrinkles on the sides of the screen (from it being rolled) that were present on the back of the screen, even after being stretched out, however, once the screen was mounted on the wall, no wrinkles were present on the visualized surface.

Once the screen was mounted, and the projector calibrated, I ran it through a number of tests.

I have a Panny 4000u at a distance of 12'. I have it set to econo mode.

The picture quality is fantastic. The colour reproduction very, very good.
The viewing angle is very good as well ( a moot point for me as my room is long and narrow)
I did not percieve any hotspotting.

Overall, I'm very happy with the picture quality of the screen. Installation was not a problem. Customer service A1.
Highly recommended.

If I get time to post pics after next weekend, I will.

Errol
post #638 of 1309 Old 01-31-2011, 03:53 PM
ody

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Spent the weekend evaluating screen samples for a new bigger screen.
Projector is a Mitsubishi HC5000, ceiling mounted at 11'. Room is a light controlled basement, with the main seating area at 12'

Current screen is a 3year old 92"
EluneVision Cinema White 1.2-gain
Samples taped to screen
EluneVision Reference Studio - 1.0 Gain
Carada Brilliant White 1.4 Gain
Carada Classic Cinema White 1.0 Gain

First thing I notice is just how much grain and texture my current screen has. Now that I see it I like the other screens better.
The other 3 are all smooth and and show no grain or texture.

The Gain of the screens all seem to be the same except the Carada Brilliant White which seemed to have some real pop. The other 3 were all good in my light controlled room. I've been using the EluneVision Cinema White screen with the lights on in my room all a long and been have happy with the results. They all work well off center too. The Carada Brilliant White was brighter and had a real plasma kind of look to it. Smooth and Bright.

When it came to color I used Avatar, Crank 2, and Inception Blu rays.
The colors that the EluneVision Reference Studio, and Carada Brilliant White produced seemed to be better than the other 2, very vivid with good skin tones. Then it hit me during the snow seen in Inception, the 3rd level down. The EluneVision Reference Studio has a blue hue to it, once I saw it on the white snow I saw it everywhere. Avatar was very vivid because of the blue hue, Crank 2's big blue sky was really blue and made everything look very colorful... Everything white had a blue tinge to it. Not a lot, it took me 2 days and 5 or 6 hours of watching different stuff to see it.
I've got nothing blue in the room, black around my screen, black throw rug, and four feet of black ceiling in front of the screen.

I'm not saying you'll see blue, just that in my room the EluneVision Reference Studio has a blue hue. Maybe you can adjust the projector for it I don't know.
I just thought you guys should be aware of it.
post #639 of 1309 Old 01-31-2011, 04:06 PM
Just add water and stir

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by ody View Post

When it came to color I used Avatar, Crank 2, and Inception Blu rays.
The colors that the EluneVision Reference Studio, and Carada Brilliant White produced seemed to be better than the other 2, very vivid with good skin tones. Then it hit me during the snow seen in Inception, the 3rd level down. The EluneVision Reference Studio has a blue hue to it, once I saw it on the white snow I saw it everywhere. Avatar was very vivid because of the blue hue, Crank 2's big blue sky was really blue and made everything look very colorful... Everything white had a blue tinge to it. Not a lot, it took me 2 days and 5 or 6 hours of watching different stuff to see it.
I've got nothing blue in the room, black around my screen, black throw rug, and four feet of black ceiling in front of the screen.

I'm not saying you'll see blue, just that in my room the EluneVision Reference Studio has a blue hue. Maybe you can adjust the projector for it I don't know.
I just thought you guys should be aware of it.

The blue hue could be the projector. Is it callibrated? What immediately came to my mind was the old screen had caused the projector to require a stronger blue tone to make cleaner whites and such...with the new materials, maybe the requirements had changed and the projector needed to be adjusted.

Pretty sure a calibrator would tell you there is no way on earth, the same settings used by a single projector, would look good or equal on all screens; they would have to be adjusted for individually. Just as done with audio - move a speaker or piece of furniture and you need to recallibrate for the difference.

Just a thought. Of course I wasn't there, so I am only guessing.

PS. We missed you this weekend! Hope to see you out next time!!
post #640 of 1309 Old 01-31-2011, 04:42 PM
ody

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuluwalker View Post

The blue hue could be the projector. Is it callibrated? What immediately came to my mind was the old screen had caused the projector to require a stronger blue tone to make cleaner whites and such...with the new materials, maybe the requirements had changed and the projector needed to be adjusted.

Pretty sure a calibrator would tell you there is no way on earth, the same settings used by a single projector, would look good or equal on all screens; they would have to be adjusted for individually. Just as done with audio - move a speaker or piece of furniture and you need to recallibrate for the difference.

Just a thought. Of course I wasn't there, so I am only guessing.

PS. We missed you this weekend! Hope to see you out next time!!

I calibrated it to my EluneVision Cinema White 1.2-gain a while ago, not sure how many hours have gone bye, it's got just under 1800hrs out of the 5000 Mitsubishi says I'll get. 3 out of 4 screens showed white as white.
post #641 of 1309 Old 01-31-2011, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

How did you calibrate it? Are you just using a disc? Without a meter and software you are just guesstimating.
post #642 of 1309 Old 01-31-2011, 04:58 PM
ody

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBJR View Post

How did you calibrate it? Are you just using a disc? Without a meter and software you are just guesstimating.

Yes I'm old school, just a disc...But I think I'm "guesstimating" right 3 out of 4 times
post #643 of 1309 Old 01-31-2011, 05:05 PM
ody

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsegato View Post

colours and detail is just sooo much better. These images barely capture how much better the new screen is. This screen definitely works wonders to ensure proper imagery and colour. It is well worth it.

..like I said, I'm happy.

I tried to reproduce images equally in my software (DPP).
first of set is new reference 100 screen (referenc, diyparkland, reference ,diyparkland)
second smaller one is Parkland Plastic. I used to think it was great as did my friends but in fact it's colours need tuning vs the out of box AE4000 settings which appear more refenec like on the refernce screen..go figure...
(AE4000 tuning only for contrast and brightness..these are on color1)

I think you can see it here?
What do you guys think?
Post #629
post #644 of 1309 Old 01-31-2011, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Yep, I used to think that myself until I got a good meter. I was surprised, and you'd probably be to how off your settings are. As much as we believe we can see how true the colors and gray scale are, our eyes just aren't calibrated and don't do what a meter can do.
post #645 of 1309 Old 01-31-2011, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBJR View Post

Yep, I used to think that myself until I got a good meter. I was surprised, and you'd probably be to how off your settings are. As much as we believe we can see how true the colors and gray scale are, our eyes just aren't calibrated and don't do what a meter can do.

Quote:

What do you guys think?
Post #629

Note that for my images, I shoot in RAW (canon 7d) and post processed these in DPP (Canon software). Colour temp to 6400K for both to try and represent "right/accurate". This is difficult to translate to others screens as our different computer screens can give wide ranging results unless tuned as well...."our eyes" on our own cinemas should be our guides. I don't see blue push especially on grey screens in disney WOW. I'm going do some more on this for you guys and go back to ensure proper calibration (in color 1 and cinema1). more color calibration to come...

I agree that ody needs to ensure calibration is done for each screen before conclusions are drawn since all these work together as a system so you can't always draw your conclusion. perhaps I should not have either but I was more curious than concerned. I still think my combo is great which is my key measure

what projector do you have ody?
post #646 of 1309 Old 01-31-2011, 07:17 PM
Just add water and stir

Quote:

What do you guys think?
Post #629

I want to come see in person! ahaha But that's cause I am nerd!

I am sure what you say about 3/4 looking white is true. I have to come back to the likelyhood that proper callibration would eliminate that issue (no matter what causes it).

For the record, I am not callibrated at my house...I just wish I was. $$$

post #647 of 1309 Old 01-31-2011, 07:33 PM

I did some basic calibrations on my setup with an Epson 8350 and don't see any leaning towards the blue. I need to get some more hours on my bulb before I get too intense with calibrations so I've just done the stuff I can do by eye with the WOW disc. I'll pull out my spectrometer and do something more serious once the bulb is settled in a bit more.

Did you use a blue filter when your did your calibration for the saturation and tint? The colour is very consistent here on my 100" reference screen. Also worth noting you should always calibrate for each screen to get accurate results. Those other 3 screens might have just lacked that blue and needed it to compensate
post #648 of 1309 Old 01-31-2011, 09:10 PM
Just add water and stir

Quote:
Originally Posted by darealgerk View Post

i did some basic calibrations on my setup with an epson 8350 and don't see any leaning towards the blue. I need to get some more hours on my bulb before i get too intense with calibrations so i've just done the stuff i can do by eye with the wow disc. I'll pull out my spectrometer and do something more serious once the bulb is settled in a bit more.

Did you use a blue filter when your did your calibration for the saturation and tint? The colour is very consistent here on my 100" reference screen. Also worth noting you should always calibrate for each screen to get accurate results. Those other 3 screens might have just lacked that blue and needed it to compensate

+1
post #649 of 1309 Old 02-09-2011, 01:03 PM

Has anyone done a formal review of the Elara II Silver screen, preferably with a comparison to other products? I know it would be best to evaluate the material in person, but unfortunately Eastporters do not send samples for evaluation.

Also, does anyone know which screen(s) would be the closest to the Elara and how they compare? (e.g there is the Grandview Silver at nearly the same price when you factor shipping in. There is also the Elite Silver Matte, etc)
post #650 of 1309 Old 02-09-2011, 04:27 PM
Just add water and stir

Quote:
Originally Posted by evenchaos View Post

Has anyone done a formal review of the Elara II Silver screen, preferably with a comparison to other products? I know it would be best to evaluate the material in person, but unfortunately Eastporters do not send samples for evaluation.

Also, does anyone know which screen(s) would be the closest to the Elara and how they compare? (e.g there is the Grandview Silver at nearly the same price when you factor shipping in. There is also the Elite Silver Matte, etc)

Where do you live? I own an Elara II, feel free to visit mine, if it works for you. PM me if would like to.
post #651 of 1309 Old 02-11-2011, 09:05 AM

Liked: 12
When assembling my Elunevision Elara Cinema Grey it left quite a lot of black marks on my carpet (see picture below). While doing the assembly I thought I could just vacuum it once finished but now it doesn't come off, arrrrg this sucks , anybody else had this problem, any suggestions what I can try?

post #652 of 1309 Old 02-11-2011, 01:26 PM

If it's just Black velvet lint, you could try the lint rollers for your suits. or just masking tape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohotos View Post
When assembling my Elunevision Elara Cinema Grey it left quite a lot of black marks on my carpet (see picture below). While doing the assembly I thought I could just vacuum it once finished but now it doesn't come off, arrrrg this sucks , anybody else had this problem, any suggestions what I can try?

post #653 of 1309 Old 02-11-2011, 01:34 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianhutchins
If it's just Black velvet lint, you could try the lint rollers for your suits. or just masking tape.
Yes, I thought as well that it's just velvet lint. But it seems to be really fine and settled into the carpet. Tried to vacuum/brush it out, no success. Tried carpet cleaner and vacuum, now it looks even worse! Will try with a different type of carpet cleaner tonight.
post #654 of 1309 Old 02-15-2011, 09:10 AM

For those that own this particular screen.

Are there any noticeable issues with regards to hotspotting with this screen ?

Is the texture of the screen as smooth as indicated ?

Would this screen be a good choice for 3D with a DLP 3D ready 720p projector utilizing a 3D-XL adapter, DLP Link and active shutter glasses, I know with this setup I will not utilize any of the polarization attributes of the screen, but would it still be a good choice ?

I'm currently considering this screen, but am looking for some opinions, feedback and experience with the screen from those that currently own it.
post #655 of 1309 Old 02-16-2011, 09:51 PM

Liked: 11
zuluwalker and ody i notice you both are in alberta (i'm in edmonton).
Did you order from Eastporters or where did you get your screens, i'm really interested in getting this over a more expensive elite.
How was shipping if you did, thanks.
post #656 of 1309 Old 02-17-2011, 10:30 AM

I'm in Winnipeg and my Eastporters screen took 2 days to get to me and it was perfect.
post #657 of 1309 Old 02-17-2011, 05:44 PM

Liked: 11
Has anyone seen both the reference tab tensioned screen and the titan HD screen care to comment?
I can't decide between them, it'd be my first screen and titan HD would certainly save me quite a bit of money.
Looking at the 92"
post #658 of 1309 Old 02-17-2011, 09:15 PM
Just add water and stir

Quote:
Originally Posted by systemlayers View Post

zuluwalker and ody i notice you both are in alberta (i'm in edmonton).
Did you order from Eastporters or where did you get your screens, i'm really interested in getting this over a more expensive elite.
How was shipping if you did, thanks.

I'm in e-town too. Sorry I don't remember how long it took to arrive, because it was on special order (when I bought it, they weren't shipping till four weeks from my purchase). I think I bought it when the model was new, and not a lot of stock. It arrived mint. Went together in a flash, and I put it up myself. I ordered straight from Eastporters.

If you want to preview my Elara II silver, just PM me and we can arrange a viewing time.

Is your room going to have ambient lighting?
post #659 of 1309 Old 02-23-2011, 02:54 PM

Oh oh...

I received my Luna motorized screen last week, finished mounting it inside my soffit this week. Plugged everything today, including the 3.5mm male to male cable to use the trigger out from my Powerlite 8350. Everything worked well until I plugged in the cable to the trigger out and enable it from the projector's menu.

When I powered up the projector, I heard a repeating clicking sound from the screen for about 5 seconds... then it stopped. Unplugged the cable, and now the screen seems to be dead. Refusing to operate from the remote or the switch... It's inside the soffit! ARRGGHHH!

So I will be taking it out... schematics indicate there is a fuse somewhere inside.. any hints from anyone here about a replacement?? Hoping a fuse will fix this...
post #660 of 1309 Old 02-23-2011, 08:30 PM
Just add water and stir

Quote:

The material is slight silver colour which I mistook to be white in day light. It is smooth to the touch, but upon very close inspection (12-18" away) and under bright light you can see the texture. I sit in the front row at 12' away, and 16 1/2 feet away in back row. I do not notice texture, but twice I convinced myself I did, how ever when I backed up the scene again on the blu-ray I could not reproduce the effect or feeling (two different blu-rays). I am not sure I am not just paranoid.
I am planning to post pics here right away tonight.

Quote:

I have two photos of the same scene from Avatar. I know some people hate this movie, but it is the only example I have of before the screen and after the screen, in the same environment.

I am also posting several screen shots of the test pattern to show what a bright solid screen looks like, and if any trace of texture is visable.

I believe Hockey is a pure thing, being a Canadian. That being said at tonight I was unable to even find a highlight to put up and take a photo of...sorry.

I won't lie to you, if you are going to watch movies with snowy blizzards, tv shows with blinding white scenes, and pause your hockey game and then zoom in on the ice, I doubt you will not find the features and texture you are looking for. That being said, not I, nor any of my guests have noticed any content we have watched in over a week of heavy viewing to show any trace of screen texture. I am happy. Other than the two times I mentioned that I thought I saw texture, I have not been able to reproduce the effect. IF I stand close to the screen, like say 6 feet to 8 feet close and can see the whole screen in my eye and I watch intently I do see smear that may be texture. I am not sure this is not something that you would not also find in say a perforated screen. When I sit back at my two seating arrangements, life is good...VERY GOOD!!!!

And if in the end you hate me and call me a liar, return it and use the 30 day money back guarentee. I would consider myself having made a big mistake if I returned it. This screen delievers huge POP, great realistic colours with even crappy content, I love it, my wife loves it, my nerd brother loves it, and five of my friends have their jaws drop and eyes pop out.

I love IT!!!

I will post pics tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Manchild View Post

For those that own this particular screen.

Are there any noticeable issues with regards to hotspotting with this screen ?

Is the texture of the screen as smooth as indicated ?

Would this screen be a good choice for 3D with a DLP 3D ready 720p projector utilizing a 3D-XL adapter, DLP Link and active shutter glasses, I know with this setup I will not utilize any of the polarization attributes of the screen, but would it still be a good choice ?

I'm currently considering this screen, but am looking for some opinions, feedback and experience with the screen from those that currently own it.

After some further refining of my AVR, and projector, I now can not see the texture I spoke of back then anymore. The image is fanastic! No hot spotting I am aware of (and I look for it).

to be 100% sure for yourself, but the reference screen. But I am not rushing into that anymore. The only reason I would upgrade is to get a masking system...hopefully they just build one for my screen?????
Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Epson , Epson Emp Tw600 Replacement Projector Lamp Elplp35 V13h010l35
Gear in this thread - Tw600 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page