post #721 of 1277 Old 10-14-2011, 12:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveHao View Post

Hi all

Just a quick announcement, The new EluneVision Acoustic Weave screens will be out in about 4-5 weeks. The screens will be available in Fixed Frame and Tab Tension motorized format. The Fixed Frames will have the same 5" border as our Reference series. The material used is a very fine weave with virtually no attenuation. There will also be no comb filtering effects. The weave will have a 15 degree shift to eliminate moire.

Looks like they may have a winner here with the new acoustic weave screens.

I ordered an Elunevision 125" Diagonal 2.35:1 Acoustic Weave screen and thought I would share a few shots of my room with the screen in place (not the final one). Mine was a custom order prior to this announcement about using the reference screen frames now. It would have been nice but the frame I received is pretty nice as well. The velvet flocking absorbs any light spillage really well.

I experienced a few growing pains along with Dave Hao and their manufacuring facility as they were supposed to use the new fabric and tilt it the 15 degrees which they didn't and as a result there was plenty of Moire on the screen. Dave promptly ordered me a new piece of fabric (the new good stuff) but there was a manufacturing flaw where ripples were present at the mounting loops that could not be tensioned out (and they forgot the tilt again slight Moire visible). I mentioned this to Dave and exchanged photos. Dave promptly had ordered me another piece which I received yesterday. I will link to a few screen shots once I have them and get my projector setup properly with the screen.

It took a little longer than I would have liked after making my initial order but what great customer service from Dave and Milosh. I would buy from them again.

Hopefully this link works (first kick at this)

http://photoshare.shaw.ca/view/28784...8536825-32193/

Ron
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1277 Old 10-14-2011, 12:23 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by imserious View Post

what screen would you recommend for the epson 8350, 20' throw to 120" screen? will mostly view at night, but still have large windows without covering.

Cinema Gray 1.1 Gain
Perlux-Silver 1.4 Gain
Vivid-Pro Cinema Gray 1.8 Gain

I don't want to deal with an overly sparkly image, but I also don't want dim whites. I'm leaning towards the Perlux-Silver 1.4.

I'm tempted to go Cinema Gray 1.1, but worried that the image won't be bright enough given the throw distance and image size.

Thoughts?

Between those three choices, I would go with the Perlux-Silver, because it doesn't use beads like the 1.8 Gain Gray screen, and also has substantially less texturing than the 1.1 gain screen.

Thanks,

Milosh
post #723 of 1277 Old 10-16-2011, 01:08 PM

Liked: 10
Milosh, can you do the silver perlux custom in a Titan retractable? The website states that perlux is for fixed frame only.
post #724 of 1277 Old 10-18-2011, 04:06 AM

Quote:

Milosh, can you do the silver perlux custom in a Titan retractable? The website states that perlux is for fixed frame only.

That's correct, it's available for fixed-frame screens only.
post #725 of 1277 Old 10-18-2011, 08:19 AM

I'm noticing the pictures in the thread with the Reference series screen show a lot of light reflecting from the screen onto the ceiling and walls. I'm thinking this in NOT a desirable effect, but a trade off for the good viewing angles you get from the ref screens. Is it safe to say that having light color ceilings is especially bad with wide viewing angle screens?
post #726 of 1277 Old 10-18-2011, 12:28 PM
Just add water and stir

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liaury View Post

I'm noticing the pictures in the thread with the Reference series screen show a lot of light reflecting from the screen onto the ceiling and walls. I'm thinking this in NOT a desirable effect, but a trade off for the good viewing angles you get from the ref screens. Is it safe to say that having light color ceilings is especially bad with wide viewing angle screens?

Light colored ceilings and walls are not desirable for projector set-ups. It should be a key goal to keep light from reflecting off as many surfaces as possible, however this is not always possible due to a variety of factors (wives for example )

Any reflected light in the room will add challenges to a screen. As well as issues with perceived contrast. Some screens can lesson the contamination, but at the end of day, all light should be controlled. Painting front walls dark, and a ceiling black will make a tremendous difference in how you both perceive the screen, and how much better the image is (in measurable incriments).
post #727 of 1277 Old 10-18-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liaury View Post

The wide viewing angle is a side-effect of having a perfect screen material with respect to offering no hot-spotting, color accuracy and having no differences in brightness levels across the screen material.

With that being said, a dark ceiling/walls will help in absolutely any home theater projection situation. Photos have the effect of broadening the wall problem because, while you are watching you focus on the movie, whereas in the photo, you get to look around the room and analyse everything.

I have a dedicated home theater with the Reference Studio screen, and have absolutely no desire to paint my ceilings a dark colour. Our showroom in Hamilton also has a both a floor and ceiling which are in light colours, and again, we have not had any complaints from visitors. In my opinion, having the perfect image is a lot more important than not having any light come to the ceiling.

Finally, if your opinion differs from mine, and you also choose not to change the colour of room, there is a 30 day money back guarantee (including shipping), so you can return the product.

Thanks

Milosh
post #728 of 1277 Old 10-18-2011, 04:46 PM

Wish I could see that...nothing is better than seeing it in your own home. Thanks.
post #729 of 1277 Old 10-18-2011, 09:23 PM

i have the reference screen and can tell u with white ceilings (WAF), we and guests are absolutely amazed at the picture quality.

post #730 of 1277 Old 10-23-2011, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronzai View Post

Looks like they may have a winner here with the new acoustic weave screens.

I ordered an Elunevision 125" Diagonal 2.35:1 Acoustic Weave screen and thought I would share a few shots of my room with the screen in place (not the final one). Mine was a custom order prior to this announcement about using the reference screen frames now. It would have been nice but the frame I received is pretty nice as well. The velvet flocking absorbs any light spillage really well.

I experienced a few growing pains along with Dave Hao and their manufacuring facility as they were supposed to use the new fabric and tilt it the 15 degrees which they didn't and as a result there was plenty of Moire on the screen. Dave promptly ordered me a new piece of fabric (the new good stuff) but there was a manufacturing flaw where ripples were present at the mounting loops that could not be tensioned out (and they forgot the tilt again slight Moire visible). I mentioned this to Dave and exchanged photos. Dave promptly had ordered me another piece which I received yesterday. I will link to a few screen shots once I have them and get my projector setup properly with the screen.

It took a little longer than I would have liked after making my initial order but what great customer service from Dave and Milosh. I would buy from them again.

Hopefully this link works (first kick at this)

http://photoshare.shaw.ca/view/28784...8536825-32193/

Ron

Any idea when the AT screens will be available to purchase in the US?
post #731 of 1277 Old 10-23-2011, 07:50 AM

Quote:

Any idea when the AT screens will be available to purchase in the US?

They will be available for sale at the exact same time in Canada and the U.S. through Eastporters, though it will be listed on the Canadian website first. The price will be the same, so all you need to do is send an email to Eastporters, and you can order it over the phone, or as a custom listing on the U.S. website.

Expected availability is in 3-4 weeks.

Milosh
post #732 of 1277 Old 10-25-2011, 06:27 PM

I have read a lot of reviews but other then "we haven't tested it yet" I haven't heard any comments about it's performance with 3D projectors.

I just bought a Sony VPL-VW95ES and I don't want to go cheap on a screen if it's not going to give me amazing 3D.

I know the money back guarantee is awesome but I don't want to waste our time setting it up and having to send it back.

Any thoughts??
post #733 of 1277 Old 10-25-2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:

I have read a lot of reviews but other then "we haven't tested it yet" I haven't heard any comments about it's performance with 3D projectors.

I just bought a Sony VPL-VW95ES and I don't want to go cheap on a screen if it's not going to give me amazing 3D.

I know the money back guarantee is awesome but I don't want to waste our time setting it up and having to send it back.

Any thoughts??

Every single person that has come to the showroom has been thoroughly impressed with the AE7000 + Reference combination and has decided to go with it. You are welcome to see it as well. As far as the 3D itself, Reference screens produce no problems with it whatsoever. At CEDIA, all the big names used JKP Affinity and Stewart Studiotek 100 to show off their 3D Projectors. Both of these zero-texture, zero hot-spotting screens are exactly what the Reference Studio screen competes and holds its own against in terms of performance, at a fraction of the price.

Thanks
post #734 of 1277 Old 10-31-2011, 06:30 AM

Liked: 11
So I went to visit the showroom on the weekend. I am now sold on Reference screen. Before seeing this I have seen many many high end screens at various showrooms. This one is very affordable and does many things better or the same as all of the other screen I have seen. As soon as I finalize by wall and decide on the screen size Milosh and Dave will be getting my business. 130" 2.35 here I come hehe.
post #735 of 1277 Old 10-31-2011, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveHao View Post

Hi all

Just a quick announcement, The new EluneVision Acoustic Weave screens will be out in about 4-5 weeks. The screens will be available in Fixed Frame and Tab Tension motorized format. The Fixed Frames will have the same 5" border as our Reference series. The material used is a very fine weave with virtually no attenuation. There will also be no comb filtering effects. The weave will have a 15 degree shift to eliminate moire.

Pricing? I don't see it on the Eastporters website... I am looking at motorized...

post #736 of 1277 Old 11-07-2011, 08:27 AM

Liked: 12
Hi

The Fixed Frames will be launching November 18th. The Tab Tension motorized versions will not be launching until December. We will have 5 units in the Tab Tension motorized AudioWeave material in the 120" viewable format by end of November.

Thanks
Dave
EluneVision
post #737 of 1277 Old 11-07-2011, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Ive gone back about 10 pages or so and lots of good reviews with respect to the reference screen.
Has anyone had the opportunity to compare it the the Stewart Studiotek 130 G3 or the affinity?

ive bought a new Sony 95 and since i didnt hold back on the PJ i dont really want to hold back on a screen, but neither do i want to light my money on fire....

im waiting for pricing on the stewart for a CIH setup, both for the solid and the AT screen.
150" diag. 2.35:1 set up, then masked down to iirc 120" at 16:9
i plan on watching a lot of hockey, gaming and then movies.

So after all that im wondering if this screen will be suitable. sounds great but anyone with hands on experience between this and the stewart or affinity screens?
obviously i dont have pricing on the elunevision screen either yet so now im wondering if its in the same class, it sounds quite a bit less expensive

your thoughts are appreciated.
post #738 of 1277 Old 11-07-2011, 04:11 PM

I've seen it side by side with both the G3 and the JKP Affinity. It performs exactly the same as the JKP Affinity, and in my opinion it has better performance than the 130, due to the fact that the 130 has hot-spotting due to its higher gain, and tends to shift the color spectrum of the image towards the yellow. Now, maybe you would consider the slightly higher gain a plus, but I prefer a more color-accurate and consistent brightness image from corner to corner. What isn't arguable is that both the competitors sell their screens at unreasonably high costs when comparing it to the EluneVision Reference screens.

The EluneVision Reference screens definitely do provide Reference-quality performance, and as you can tell from reviews and from people who go to check the screen out in person at the Eastporters store/demo room, they provide the quality of much higher cost screens.
post #739 of 1277 Old 11-15-2011, 06:16 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
i will be needing a new screen 130" or 133"(da lite) i was going to get a 133" da lite high power screen 2.4 gain..but i see elunevision product 135" EluneVision High Definition Vivid Pro Cinema White Manual Pull-Down Screen - 16:9 what do you think is better? i have a 92" dalite high power now and it is good but im moving and my new basement will be 33' x 16' th sanyo z2000 projector will be mounted on the ceiling 17' from the screen and the first row of seats is 15' the 2nd row is 18'....

2.. or is the reference screen even better? and which reference screen would you recomend?
post #740 of 1277 Old 11-15-2011, 08:50 AM

A High-Power screen is definitely not what you would want to get for a basement setting. I don't think you would want to waste a basement on a screen that has a lot of hot-spotting and lack of color uniformity across the surface, when you can get a much more perfect picture.

I would go with a Reference Studio screen. Whether it is fixed-frame or another type would be up to you, but you can just send an email and you'll be able to nail down the best choice for your situation within a few emails or a phone-call conversation.

Milosh
post #741 of 1277 Old 11-15-2011, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Has anyone compared the new AT material against the Reference screen in terms of pictures quality? I am torn between:
  1. 118" wide Reference, never fully unrolled to the top of my center speaker, leaving a constant-height picture from there to to edge of the ceiling
    -> 128 inch diagonal 2.35:1 screen (118x50)
    -> 102 inch diagonal 16:9 screen (89x50)
    -> plus side: zoom out wider for 2.35:1 movies, which is cool.
    -> minus side:
    - Project black bars onto ceiling for cinemascope content.
    - Top of screen a bit high at 22 degrees above eye level.
    - picture size a stretch for proposed Panny 4000 projector
    - projector needs auto lens shift and zoom.
  2. 120" 16:9 (105x59") acoustically transparent screen
    -> leaves 114-inch diagonal 2.35:1 screen (105x45)
    -> plus side:
    - can be lowered in front of center speaker at more comfortable height.
    - no lens zoom and shift allows purchase of cheaper projector (Epson 8350)
    -> minus side:
    - project top and bottom black bars onto screen, but I suppose most people do this...
    - how is the picture quality compared to Reference screen?

A third option would be a 118-inch wide cinescope-format AT screen, and an auto-lens shift projector, that that would add $1500 or so to the cost.

post #742 of 1277 Old 11-18-2011, 02:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Has the reference screen been reviewed yet by a known site? I think this might be my next screen, but I have time to decide. About a 4-6 weeks
post #743 of 1277 Old 11-18-2011, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 117
I've had some email communication with Dave, and I'm sold on giving the Reference screen (135", tensioned) an audition. It sounds like exactly what I'm looking for and I'm excited at having a superior image to what I've already achieved with just a cheap-o Elite pull down. Will be pulling the trigger in another couple weeks.
post #744 of 1277 Old 11-29-2011, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by psgcdn View Post

Has anyone compared the new AT material against the Reference screen in terms of pictures quality? I am torn between:
  1. 118" wide Reference, never fully unrolled to the top of my center speaker, leaving a constant-height picture from there to to edge of the ceiling
    -> 128 inch diagonal 2.35:1 screen (118x50)
    -> 102 inch diagonal 16:9 screen (89x50)
    -> plus side: zoom out wider for 2.35:1 movies, which is cool.
    -> minus side:
    - Project black bars onto ceiling for cinemascope content.
    - Top of screen a bit high at 22 degrees above eye level.
    - picture size a stretch for proposed Panny 4000 projector
    - projector needs auto lens shift and zoom.
  2. 120" 16:9 (105x59") acoustically transparent screen
    -> leaves 114-inch diagonal 2.35:1 screen (105x45)
    -> plus side:
    - can be lowered in front of center speaker at more comfortable height.
    - no lens zoom and shift allows purchase of cheaper projector (Epson 8350)
    -> minus side:
    - project top and bottom black bars onto screen, but I suppose most people do this...
    - how is the picture quality compared to Reference screen?

A third option would be a 118-inch wide cinescope-format AT screen, and an auto-lens shift projector, that that would add $1500 or so to the cost.

+1
I am also wondering about the picture quality of the Reference screen to the Reference AT screen. Since they tout the smoothness of the non AT screen as a large factor in image quality, what would the weave do to image quality. Also how would it compare to the Seymour AT material which seems a popular screen too.
I currently have a Da-Lite 1.3 Cinema Vision 106" fixed screen, but am interested in Elunevisions products and would like to go larger in format and possibly 2.35:1 format for my Sony 95ES.
post #745 of 1277 Old 11-29-2011, 09:34 AM

The Reference Studio AudioWeave, which will be released within days, is a superior product to the competition (whatever the price or claimed performance may be).

Actual testing was done in an anechoic chamber, and our testing has revealed that every single other brand's material needs actual equalization, even though a lot of them claim that their material does not. We saw anywhere up to a 2dB+ difference between the lower and the higher frequencies for some of the "high end" materials mentioned above. This 2dB+ difference in attenuation basically corresponds to having, as an example, the 8kHz frequency sound being roughly 40% quieter than the 3kHz signal, with respect to the original audio source. The reason that the EluneVision AudioWeave took so long to be officially released is to get the material completely right, and not make the user live with inferior performance, like both the equivelant-priced and the much more expensive competition asks the user to do. The material went through many revisions - the final, best revision was finally completed and tested very recently.

I'm not really sure how the competition can tout this above outlined performance as being "audio-transparent with no equalization required", but the EluneVision AudioWeave material will truly require no equalization, as it slightly attenuates all frequencies in a linear manner, so all you have to do is slightly increase the dB output for the speakers behind the screens (unlike the competition, which attenuates mid and higher range frequencies at a dramatically higher rate than it does the lower frequencies, thus requiring a great deal of expensive equalization, or asking the user to live with far less than perfect audio quality).

From a visual perspective, the new EluneVision AudioWeave has the smallest holes and smoothest material ever seen in a weave, leading to less light leakage and higher definition, so both the video and audio quality will be unrivaled. The EluneVision material is the best, and when it launches in a few days, you can read further into the testing methodology, results, and more importantly, unlike most of the competition, you will have the right to return the screen if you are not satisfied.

With the new audio-transparent screen, the audio-transparency and video quality is second to none.

Thanks,

Milosh
post #746 of 1277 Old 11-29-2011, 11:45 AM

I need a screen for my basement theater, are these screens only for high end projectors? I like what I'm reading about these Reference screens. I'm considering the BenQ W6000, Epson 6500ub, or 3010. Not sure if I need to spend alot for a screen like this, they cost just as much as the pj's I'm considering. I will have some ambient light at times, I like to watch sports and TV with some lights dim but other than that mostly for movies and can completely darken room.
post #747 of 1277 Old 11-29-2011, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysEdTeacher View Post

I need a screen for my basement theater, are these screens only for high end projectors? I like what I'm reading about these Reference screens. I'm considering the BenQ W6000, Epson 6500ub, or 3010. Not sure if I need to spend alot for a screen like this, they cost just as much as the pj's I'm considering. I will have some ambient light at times, I like to watch sports and TV with some lights dim but other than that mostly for movies and can completely darken room.

Those are good good projectors, especially the benq w6000. But the better the screen is the better the projector will perform. However, with these reference screens, you will be better off with the right environment. Meaning, like control and dark color room. It's a good investment, I here nothing but positive things about these screens
post #748 of 1277 Old 11-29-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

Those are good good projectors, especially the benq w6000. But the better the screen is the better the projector will perform. However, with these reference screens, you will be better off with the right environment. Meaning, like control and dark color room. It's a good investment, I here nothing but positive things about these screens

Thank you. Yes BenQ is on top of my list, I feel like I will do best with the Reference Gray screen. looking to budget about $3k for A/V equipment in theater.
Benq W6000- $1,500,
92" Reference Gray- $1,100
pioneer 1021 $300
Energy take classic $400

Puts me a little over but not too bad. The Epson 6500ub can get for $929 that puts me under budget
post #749 of 1277 Old 11-29-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:

Any home setup could benefit from dark wall colurs, etc, but if you scroll through the last few pages of this thread, others owners will attest that even with their white walls and ceilings, the Reference Studio White screen performs amazingly well in their rooms, and it only gets better with the Gray screen. I have a dedicated home theater room with a Reference Studio Gray screen, and I do not have any interest in painting my walls a dark colour, and I absolutely love the performance.

Milosh
post #750 of 1277 Old 11-29-2011, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by miloshj View Post

The Reference Studio AudioWeave, which will be released within days, is a superior product to the competition (whatever the price or claimed performance may be).

Actual testing was done in an anechoic chamber, and our testing has revealed that every single other brand's material needs actual equalization, even though a lot of them claim that their material does not. We saw anywhere up to a 2dB+ difference between the lower and the higher frequencies for some of the "high end" materials mentioned above. This 2dB+ difference in attenuation basically corresponds to having, as an example, the 8kHz frequency sound being roughly 40% quieter than the 3kHz signal, with respect to the original audio source. The reason that the EluneVision AudioWeave took so long to be officially released is to get the material completely right, and not make the user live with inferior performance, like both the equivelant-priced and the much more expensive competition asks the user to do. The material went through many revisions - the final, best revision was finally completed and tested very recently.

I'm not really sure how the competition can tout this above outlined performance as being "audio-transparent with no equalization required", but the EluneVision AudioWeave material will truly require no equalization, as it slightly attenuates all frequencies in a linear manner, so all you have to do is slightly increase the dB output for the speakers behind the screens (unlike the competition, which attenuates mid and higher range frequencies at a dramatically higher rate than it does the lower frequencies, thus requiring a great deal of expensive equalization, or asking the user to live with far less than perfect audio quality).

From a visual perspective, the new EluneVision AudioWeave has the smallest holes and smoothest material ever seen in a weave, leading to less light leakage and higher definition, so both the video and audio quality will be unrivaled. The EluneVision material is the best, and when it launches in a few days, you can read further into the testing methodology, results, and more importantly, unlike most of the competition, you will have the right to return the screen if you are not satisfied.

With the new audio-transparent screen, the audio-transparency and video quality is second to none.

Thanks,

Milosh

Thank you Milosh for quick response. Looking forward to some initial impressions of the Reference Studio Audioweave product. Will you have samples that a person could obtain of the screen material? Also, can the screen material be purchased without frame?

Regards Rod
Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Epson , Epson Emp Tw600 Replacement Projector Lamp Elplp35 V13h010l35
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page