post #751 of 1309 Old 11-29-2011, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by miloshj View Post

Any home setup could benefit from dark wall colurs, etc, but if you scroll through the last few pages of this thread, others owners will attest that even with their white walls and ceilings, the Reference Studio White screen performs amazingly well in their rooms, and it only gets better with the Gray screen. I have a dedicated home theater room with a Reference Studio Gray screen, and I do not have any interest in painting my walls a dark colour, and I absolutely love the performance.

Milosh

Haven't looked into the reference gray screens, I'm sure they perform well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 1309 Old 11-29-2011, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is exactly what I've been looking for.....an affordable alternative that provides similar or better performance.

Will the AT screen be made available in a tab-tensioned in-ceiling motorized option? Or did I miss that in your previous post?

Looking at 106" to 120" diagonal.
post #753 of 1309 Old 11-29-2011, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:

Any home setup could benefit from dark wall colurs, etc, but if you scroll through the last few pages of this thread, others owners will attest that even with their white walls and ceilings, the Reference Studio White screen performs amazingly well in their rooms, and it only gets better with the Gray screen. I have a dedicated home theater room with a Reference Studio Gray screen, and I do not have any interest in painting my walls a dark colour, and I absolutely love the performance.

Milosh

Milosh: Do you expect to ever have the reference gray available in the tensioned motorized version?

A couple more bills to take care of and I'll be pulling the trigger on one of your screens...looking forward to it
post #754 of 1309 Old 11-29-2011, 07:17 PM

I recently bought EPson 8350. what do you guy recommend on the screen the room is about 16ft THrow, I mainly watching tv and bluray. Living room got some lights so i want a brighter screen as possible.
post #755 of 1309 Old 12-02-2011, 04:00 PM

I am previous customer of Elunevision screns and found no issue with my first screen(other than a broken L bracket that was replaced fast).
I am now on my second theater and am looking at my screen options..
Has anyone used the referenced screens with the panny 7000 3d projector? is the 1.0 gain adequate for a controlled light theater(no windows)? I am leaning towards a 115" reference screen for my 17ft X 12FT with 9FT celings. two rows of seats, 10ft and 17ft..
post #756 of 1309 Old 12-04-2011, 10:54 AM

I tried searching, but couldn't find anything. Anyone have any links/documentation on how to hang a screen on the wall (I have an Elara Fixed Screen). I have never done anything like this before so I need to know exactly what I need/steps I have to take. The manual is completely unclear.

Ideally it would be something with photos so I don't screw up my wall for no reason.
post #757 of 1309 Old 12-04-2011, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Hey Toor, a friend of mine recently bought an elara fixed frame and I have to agree, the manual is fracking useless!!!!. It was only after we threw out the manual we were able to figure things out ourselves. The L brackets connect the four corners and use the screws provided to tighten things up. Be sure that you place the correct amount of tensioner rivets on each side or you will have to dismantle the whole frame just to move them around (we had to do it twice). You can confirm the amounts of Rivets by counting the number of holes on each side of the screen.

Ultimately, It is very much like hanging a picture on a wall only on a much larger scale. Once your frame is constructed, place the the tensioner rods through the space provided in the screen material and connect to the frame by inserting the rivets in the holes in the sides of the screen. The material is going to look like it's too small for the frame but it actually streches quite a lot.

You will notice there are two smaller brackets that you have to attach to the top corners of the frame. These brackets provide a "space" from which the completed screen will hang. You will have to measure the exact distance between the two spaces and install two strong screws on your wall the same distance apart. Remember not to have the screws on the wall all the way in. When everything is in place just lift the screen and hang on the wall.

The one (or two) positives from all this is that the price is reasonable for the product and the screen performs surprisingly well. There may be some small ripples in the screen at first but after a couple of days they should disappear.

atabea

Quote:
Originally Posted by toor View Post

I tried searching, but couldn't find anything. Anyone have any links/documentation on how to hang a screen on the wall (I have an Elara Fixed Screen). I have never done anything like this before so I need to know exactly what I need/steps I have to take. The manual is completely unclear.

Ideally it would be something with photos so I don't screw up my wall for no reason.

post #758 of 1309 Old 12-04-2011, 01:10 PM

Heres what combination I'm thinking of putting together.

* Projector - BenQ 6000

* Elunevision Custom 120' 2:35:1 aspect, motorized tab tensioned with New Audio Weave

Seating position first row 11ft
Seating position second row 16ft
Little to no ambient light

Would this be a good setup? Any other suggestions?
post #759 of 1309 Old 12-04-2011, 04:04 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Heres what combination I'm thinking of putting together.

* Projector - BenQ 6000

* Elunevision Custom 120' 2:35:1 aspect, motorized tab tensioned with New Audio Weave

Seating position first row 11ft
Seating position second row 16ft
Little to no ambient light

Would this be a good setup? Any other suggestions?

This would be a great setup. The AudioWeave screen is the best performing audio-transparent screen money can buy (even if you wanted to spend thousands more, you couldn't find an equal or better performing audio-transparent screen) and will last you forever if you do ever upgrade to another projector (whether future 1080p or 4K projectors).

Thanks,

Milosh
post #760 of 1309 Old 12-04-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
This is exactly what I've been looking for.....an affordable alternative that provides similar or better performance.

Will the AT screen be made available in a tab-tensioned in-ceiling motorized option? Or did I miss that in your previous post?

Looking at 106" to 120" diagonal.

No plans for that at this point, for at least the forseeable future.

Thanks,

Milosh
post #761 of 1309 Old 12-04-2011, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

This would be a great setup. The AudioWeave screen is the best performing audio-transparent screen money can buy (even if you wanted to spend thousands more, you couldn't find an equal or better performing audio-transparent screen) and will last you forever if you do ever upgrade to another projector (whether future 1080p or 4K projectors).

Thanks,

Milosh

On the Elunevision website it describes that viewing distance has a minumum # of feet. Can you see the the screen texture if you are at the minimum distance or closer? Will this be vewable at all with farther distances?
Thanks for your thoughts.
post #762 of 1309 Old 12-04-2011, 06:05 PM

Quote:

No plans for that at this point, for at least the forseeable future.

Thanks,

Milosh

Okay, thanks for answering my question. So, at the very least I could mount the projector in the ceiling since you have IR remote capabilities and build something that would allow the screen to drop through a slot in the ceiling. Or, would you know where I could purchase a flush ceiling kit that would make it look more custom?
post #763 of 1309 Old 12-04-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:

On the Elunevision website it describes that viewing distance has a minumum # of feet. Can you see the the screen texture if you are at the minimum distance or closer? Will this be vewable at all with farther distances?
Thanks for your thoughts.

The EluneVision screen has the finest weave material on the market. With that being said, there is a threshold at which you will see the weave. The guided number is 8' as this is a safe distance, I wouldn't go closer than 6-7' personally, but what I can say is that because this is the finest Weave material available, you can go closer than you could with any other material out there.

There are photos on the website of a few movie scenes being taken 8" away. For the wide angle shot on the EluneVision page, the closer part of the screen is about 5 feet away or so.

Thanks,

Milosh
post #764 of 1309 Old 12-04-2011, 06:19 PM

Quote:

Okay, thanks for answering my question. So, at the very least I could mount the projector in the ceiling since you have IR remote capabilities and build something that would allow the screen to drop through a slot in the ceiling. Or, would you know where I could purchase a flush ceiling kit that would make it look more custom?

I don't know of any places that sell flush ceiling kits, most of our customers who wanted the screen in-ceiling simply made their own.

Thanks
post #765 of 1309 Old 12-04-2011, 06:19 PM

Hi all

First of all, I would like to thank everyone on AVSforum, and our customers over the years that have helped our company grow. We are still a small company, but in the last few years have brought out two great products: the Reference Studio Fixed Frame and Tab Tension screens.

Finally after a good year of R&D, I have the pleasure of launching our new Acoustic Weave: the Reference Studio AudioWeave screens.

In short, the AudioWeave combines Reference Studio 100 Video quality with sound transparency that is second to none. During our R&D phase, we experimented with numerous weave patterns and materials, using our Anechoic Chamber to test them. When we first started our design process, we used the industry's best materials as reference. However, we found their audio and video performance was far from ideal. Our tests showed that the attenuation from 2000 Hz would increase from 1db - 2db to over 5db at 20,000 Hz. In other words, even the high-end products today had poor mid-frequency and high frequency performance. We simply deemed this unacceptable. Everyone knows that the mid frequencies are important for almost everything, so for our competitors to have poor performance in that frequency range is unacceptable. Furthermore, the roll-off in the higher frequencies results in a loss of airiness or sparkle from the sound. Therefore, we engineered a material that has minimum attenuation from 20Hz to 20000Hz. The final result is that we have an AW material that has by far the best audio transparency in the industry.

For more details on the AudioWeave and our analysis please go to this link:

http://www.elunevision.com/audioweav...-features.html

The features page is a quite long and often times also pretty technical as well. Please post any questions in the thread and I will do my best to answer them.

In short:
-very fine weave material with over 2000 perforations per square inch
-15 degree shift to eliminate moiré
-very fine and smooth weave with black backing to achieve Reference Studio 100 video quality (Fixed-Frame only)
-average attenuation of less than of 0.35 db for the AudioWeave material and less than 0.75db for AudioWeave + Black Backing
-the attenuation is completely linear and frequency response of the weave follows the original speaker all the way up to 20kHz with no roll off. This is an industry first, as every competitor that we have tested (and we tested pretty much every high-end material that we could purchase) has at least 20% attenuation in the mid-range frequencies, and almost 40% attenuation in the higher-end frequencies
-Frames increased in mass in aluminum by 3 fold over standard Reference fixed-frames. This drastically lowers the resonant frequency of the screen so that powerful speakers and subwoofers going down to 20Hz can be installed behind the screen without any vibration. The L joiners are now made of 2 solid steel pieces.

Availability:
December 3rd: Reference Audio Weave Fixed Frame
-100" 16:9
-108" 16:9
-115" 16:9
-125" 16:9
-135" 16:9
-120" 2.35
-130" 2.35

Tab Tensioned:
Later half of December.

We are now also taking custom builds, delivery time is 3 weeks.

Thanks
Dave Hao
EluneVision
post #766 of 1309 Old 12-04-2011, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atabea View Post

Hey Toor, a friend of mine recently bought an elara fixed frame and I have to agree, the manual is fracking useless!!!!. It was only after we threw out the manual we were able to figure things out ourselves. The L brackets connect the four corners and use the screws provided to tighten things up. Be sure that you place the correct amount of tensioner rivets on each side or you will have to dismantle the whole frame just to move them around (we had to do it twice). You can confirm the amounts of Rivets by counting the number of holes on each side of the screen.

Ultimately, It is very much like hanging a picture on a wall only on a much larger scale. Once your frame is constructed, place the the tensioner rods through the space provided in the screen material and connect to the frame by inserting the rivets in the holes in the sides of the screen. The material is going to look like it's too small for the frame but it actually streches quite a lot.

You will notice there are two smaller brackets that you have to attach to the top corners of the frame. These brackets provide a "space" from which the completed screen will hang. You will have to measure the exact distance between the two spaces and install two strong screws on your wall the same distance apart. Remember not to have the screws on the wall all the way in. When everything is in place just lift the screen and hang on the wall.

The one (or two) positives from all this is that the price is reasonable for the product and the screen performs surprisingly well. There may be some small ripples in the screen at first but after a couple of days they should disappear.

atabea

ok thanks

Is it necesary to put the screws in studs or is it light enough to hang on the drywall?

Do you happen to know the size of screws to use?
post #767 of 1309 Old 12-04-2011, 09:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Chances are slim that you will have a stud at the exact distance you need, but if you can find one then that would be your best bet. Failing that, I would use some good plastic anchors with the screws. Under no circumstances should you try hangin from the drywall alone without the use of plastic anchors. The screen and frame would be too heavy for just plain drywall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toor View Post

ok thanks

Is it necesary to put the screws in studs or is it light enough to hang on the drywall?

Do you happen to know the size of screws to use?

post #768 of 1309 Old 12-05-2011, 06:39 PM

Could you link a photo of the plastic anchors your talking about. I am clueless when it comes to this stuff. Which is why the manual was so frustrating.

To be clear: I assume that I need some specific strength anchor?
post #769 of 1309 Old 12-05-2011, 06:44 PM

Has anyone used both the Elara II and the reference grey screens?

I was pretty sold on getting the Elara II, as I was going to be using my PJ in a main floor great room, but now the house I am moving to has a basement that will work. So, my setup will be a BenQ W6000 from 13' away on a 106" screen with seating about 14' back.

Because of the more light controlled room, I really don't think I need the 1.4 gain of the Elara II now, but I'm finding it hard to justify spending the cash for the reference grey. Help?
post #770 of 1309 Old 12-06-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:

Has anyone used both the Elara II and the reference grey screens?

I was pretty sold on getting the Elara II, as I was going to be using my PJ in a main floor great room, but now the house I am moving to has a basement that will work. So, my setup will be a BenQ W6000 from 13' away on a 106" screen with seating about 14' back.

Because of the more light controlled room, I really don't think I need the 1.4 gain of the Elara II now, but I'm finding it hard to justify spending the cash for the reference grey. Help?

This is for everyone's benefit as much as it is yours, as I've owned, sold, demoed thousands of EluneVision screens over the years, so hopefully this helps. This is in general for both the Reference White and the Reference Gray screens:

-day and night color accuracy between the Elara II and the Reference series
-zero hot-spotting vs a fairly decent amount of hot-spotting, which can get very annoying when watching hockey, any sports, or whenever you get to bright movie/tv show scenes. The material is trully matte, whereas the lower-cost materials always have a level of sheen to them
-much sharper image (very important if you conciously chose a 1080p projector vs a 720p projector, with any non-Reference screen, you won't really get a true 1080p image - the Reference features has a really good photo showing pixel degradation vs some non-Reference materials out there)
-above point also means the screen will last longer because you have no problem upgrading to a 4K projector, whether it's in 3 years or in 10 years, whereas non-Reference screens cannot even fully handle a 1080p image
-better blacks on both the 1.0 white and the 0.8 gray than the Elara II
-zero sheen to the finish - all you see is a perfect projector image, not artifacting/texturing of the screen
-the 5" border greatly enhances the percieved contrast, and makes your screen look like huge plasma screen when watching the projector, and absolutely luxurious look when off. The velour is much more light-absorbant, which really helps the percieved contrast of the image

Many people email back and tell us that getting the Reference Studio screen felt like they upgraded their projector. It's a screen that will give you both immediate results and pay dividends in the future, as the lack of texturing will mean it can handle infinite resolution.

Thank you,

Milosh
post #771 of 1309 Old 12-06-2011, 08:48 PM

Would you only recommend the reference white over the reference grey when always viewing in a totally light controlled room? I assume you would advise me to get the grey? Also, the 0.8 would probably help me a lot, as the W6000 is quite bright to begin with, and could use a bit of help with the blacks.
post #772 of 1309 Old 12-06-2011, 09:41 PM

I would recommend the Gray if you do want the better black levels. I personally use the gray, because black levels are the Achilles' heel of all but a few of the extremely high-end projectors.
post #773 of 1309 Old 12-08-2011, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I just bought an electric tab tensioned reference screen and I am a bit disappointed.
I just want to warn anyone planning on using it in similar way.

The screen material is all white and the borders are painted on on the front, but the back isn't. Seems a bit odd given the important of light affecting contrast, and that a retractable screen will inevitably hang in front of something.....

I haven't projected onto it yet but, my installation is in front of a set of alcove windows with white blinds. When I installed the screen and tested it I was surprised to find that it was almost translucent, light was coming through the screen from the windows behind. What concerns me is even when the blinds are closed and it's dark in the room I might loose a ton of contrast from the reverse affect of the light of the projector going through the screen and reflecting back off the blinds.

Anyways, I'm considering painting the back. Any recommendation on what paint to use or where to get the border paint. Or for that matter any potential pitfalls of doing this?
post #774 of 1309 Old 12-08-2011, 10:25 AM

Hi

I do not recommend you paint the back side of the screen. It is a vinyl surface and you would need a special type of paint that does not flake off when it is rolled and it is extremely difficult to do. You can ruin the screen extremely easily if you do this for little or no benefit. Naturally if you attempt this, we would not honour the warranty. We have also explored this option in designing the screens and that painting the screen black on the other side is not an acceptable option.

The light leakage is minimal from the back side of the screen, and I have extensively tested it vs the regular Reference Studio 100 with the black backing for the Fixed. In fact in our demo room, I have the Reference Studio Tab Tension 4 inches in front of our Fixed Frame. There is no difference in picture quality between the two screens, one with a black backing and one without. The white surface of the Reference Fixed would scatter any light from the Tab Tension back to the Tab Tension and thus make this a good test.

In any event, if you are unhappy with the screen, return it for a full refund. Another option is we can build you a tab tension screen with a black backing, but the material would not be nearly as good, which is why we decided to make the engineering decision to forgo the black backing for the best picture quality.

Once you use it in a dark room, I don't think you should be too concerned as our Reference screens are designed to work well in medium ambient light situations and best in low ambient light situations.

Thanks
Dave Hao
EluneVision screens
post #775 of 1309 Old 12-08-2011, 10:52 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrgagne View Post

I just bought an electric tab tensioned reference screen and I am a bit disappointed.
I just want to warn anyone planning on using it in similar way.

The screen material is all white and the borders are painted on on the front, but the back isn't. Seems a bit odd given the important of light affecting contrast, and that a retractable screen will inevitably hang in front of something.....

I haven't projected onto it yet but, my installation is in front of a set of alcove windows with white blinds. When I installed the screen and tested it I was surprised to find that it was almost translucent, light was coming through the screen from the windows behind. What concerns me is even when the blinds are closed and it's dark in the room I might loose a ton of contrast from the reverse affect of the light of the projector going through the screen and reflecting back off the blinds.

Anyways, I'm considering painting the back. Any recommendation on what paint to use or where to get the border paint. Or for that matter any potential pitfalls of doing this?

I would get black-out blinds or curtains to go over the window.
post #776 of 1309 Old 12-08-2011, 11:08 AM

I am about 90% conviced from this thread to go with a 16:9 reference gray screen, over the Elara II I was going to purchase. My setup is a basement with controllable lighting, although I do prefer a bit of light for sports or gaming, but for movies it's lights out. Doing a BenQ W6000 with a 13' throw. The wall I am setting up the screen on is 11' wide and 8' tall. Seating will about 13' back. I need to fit a Martin Logan Motion 12 on either side of the screen, but they are only 7" wide.

What size 16:9 reference gray should I go with? Looks like 100", 108" or 115" will all work ok....Sitting 13' back is there such a thing as too big?

Help!
post #777 of 1309 Old 12-08-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:
What size 16:9 reference gray should I go with? Looks like 100", 108" or 115" will all work ok....Sitting 13' back is there such a thing as too big?

I would go with the 100" or the 108" personally, but it's a matter of taste. Some would go with 115" even, but I think the safe bet for the majority would be either the 100" or 108".

Thanks,
Milosh
post #778 of 1309 Old 12-08-2011, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I was wondering if anyone handles the Elunevision screens in Europe, or outside the US in general. I have just bought the Epson EH-TW6000W, and I have a big ambient light problem... white ceiling, pale green walls, light carpet.

Posting on a well-known UK AV site, the response has been "spend lots of money, because you only get what you pay for". And the general consensus I see here, is "you don't need to spend lots of money, to get the quality you desire".

I've been quoted £1300 (over $2000) or more, to get a screen to control my ambient light problem on the UK site I mentioned. Yet I see people here doing that for a fraction of the cost... and all of them seem immensely happy with their choice of screen. Which to me speaks volumes about the quality of both the product, and the service from the company concerned.

After seeing what is possible for a more realistic price, I am even less convinced that spending over $2000 is what is required. But of course, all this is in vain, if Elunevision is simply not available outside the US.

Thanks for reading my long ramble, and for any info you can provide in return.

Cheers
Lee
post #779 of 1309 Old 12-08-2011, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveHao View Post

The light leakage is minimal from the back side of the screen, and I have extensively tested it vs the regular Reference Studio 100 with the black backing for the Fixed. In fact in our demo room, I have the Reference Studio Tab Tension 4 inches in front of our Fixed Frame. There is no difference in picture quality between the two screens, one with a black backing and one without. The white surface of the Reference Fixed would scatter any light from the Tab Tension back to the Tab Tension and thus make this a good test.

Thanks for the reply, that's good to know. I hold judgement till I get the PJ running.
post #780 of 1309 Old 12-13-2011, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by hingis_fan View Post

Help!

Quote:

I would go with the 100" or the 108" personally, but it's a matter of taste. Some would go with 115" even, but I think the safe bet for the majority would be either the 100" or 108".

Thanks,
Milosh

Really? I asked around and got bigger advice. I'll be 10 feet away and am considering 120" 16:9 or even more if 2.35:1 format.

Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Epson , Epson Emp Tw600 Replacement Projector Lamp Elplp35 V13h010l35
Gear in this thread - Tw600 by PriceGrabber.com