EluneVision screens - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 1309 Old 04-12-2012, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Shipped today, I'll post a review when I get it. (120" 16x9 Tab Tension AudioWeave)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 1309 Old 04-13-2012, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by psgcdn View Post

Shipped today, I'll post a review when I get it. (120" 16x9 Tab Tension AudioWeave)

Sounds Great! My Panasonic AE4000U projector was just delivered, and trying it out on the light gray walls in my living room, will be looking forward to your first impressions and review, I still have some work to do running cables and some wires since I changed my mind after my family room build was pretty much done, and I tried telling myself, no I won't give in and buy a projector! Doh.....
post #903 of 1309 Old 04-14-2012, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Nice projector! That was my choice PJ if I went with a scope screen, with it's auto lens shift. But I decided to go simple with 16x9 and got a great deal on a BenQ W6000.

post #904 of 1309 Old 04-16-2012, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

The screen has no installation instructions that I could find. Is it so trivial as to not need any?

post #905 of 1309 Old 04-16-2012, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

They emailed me the PDF link to the manual. :-)

post #906 of 1309 Old 04-29-2012, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Nice projector! That was my choice PJ if I went with a scope screen, with it's auto lens shift. But I decided to go simple with 16x9 and got a great deal on a BenQ W6000.

Thanks, I found a great deal on one, with only 150 hours, and still 1.5 years of remaining waranty, so I gave in and bought it, I wanted the auto lens shift and scope set-up.

Quote:

They emailed me the PDF link to the manual. :-)

Well Bummer on not having the install instructions in the box, it's a drag on the anticipation of receiving such a new screen, and then not to have any instructions, just puts more of a wait on the adventure.....Oh well, it happens...

Now that you've had a week or so, where are you with your screen? Hopefully you have had time to play around ???

I'm next in-line to be layed off at my job, so for now I'm waiting it out, or I'd already have ordered a screen from Dave Hao, I still need a new Onkyo receiver, and some theater seating.......

Looking forward to your first impressions / review, thanks!
post #907 of 1309 Old 04-29-2012, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I know I promised a full review... I'll get around to it soon, but I love it!

post #908 of 1309 Old 05-01-2012, 05:30 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was looking at getting the "HP equivalent" 2.4 screen so asked about pricing yesterday. They advised that the material "was discontinued" and that people were getting the grey 1.8 gain material instead.

I know folks in the 3k and up forum seem to love the da-lite HP screen... was the EluneVision HP material worse/different?

Given the price, and reviews of other screens I'm half tempted to give it a shot, but would love thoughts from anyone who might have actually put one to use.

Anyone with experience with the grey 1.8 gain material in a light controlled theater, with both 2D and 3D????
post #909 of 1309 Old 05-01-2012, 08:19 AM

I Had the 106" 1.8 gain grey screen in a light controlled room (in my basement). Projector was ceiling mounted at 7' and I sat right under it. Whilst standing, the picture had so much POP that in 2D it appeared three dimensional. Big drop off while sitting though, and worse sitting on either side of the couch (not directly under the projector). If it didn't look so good when I stood, I probably would have kept it, but as a result I took it back immediately.
post #910 of 1309 Old 05-01-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskroadie View Post

I Had the 106" 1.8 gain grey screen in a light controlled room (in my basement). Projector was ceiling mounted at 7' and I sat right under it. Whilst standing, the picture had so much POP that in 2D it appeared three dimensional. Big drop off while sitting though, and worse sitting on either side of the couch (not directly under the projector). If it didn't look so good when I stood, I probably would have kept it, but as a result I took it back immediately.

That's sort of what I was thinking would be the verdict. Thanks for the confirmation.

That being said, what did you end up going with?

I'm half tempted to spend the extra (3 x as much... sigh) and get a da-lite HP screen, but the local support here is rough, so getting it in place and finding it not to my satisfaction makes me hesitant....
post #911 of 1309 Old 05-01-2012, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How did you decide to watch a 106" screen at only 7 feet? After playing around with my AE-4000U, I would not even consider such a short distance, but maybe that's just me....

I've read on many of the projectors threads that people that did not have the best distance for a projector, did it any ways, and had this exact conclusion, rather having a minimum distance per screen size, but also having the right fabric for the room enviornment is also another key factor

Something is not exactly correct in the last 2 posts here:

Any screen with a higher gain number is for well lit, bright ambient rooms with light issues, when your using a 1.8 gain grey screen, with a dark room, it's not the correct screen to be using, especially " jcdennis " question of a high power 2.4 grain screen, should be for a main level room with lot's of light in the room, a room with dimmers and shades or blinds to control the rooms ambient lighting would work fine with a 1.0 gain screen....
post #912 of 1309 Old 05-01-2012, 09:07 AM

I believe the 7’ being noted is the height of the projector from the floor.
Hence the comment on standing up making it “better”.
The reason I’m considering a HP 2.4 screen is the numerous comments in the 3k and up forum regarding it as a great choice, especially where 3D is concerned. I have a Sony es30, and I can turn down the iris for 2D, and open it up for 3D and keep high degree of “pop”…. Or at least that’s what I’ve understood from what I’ve read.
I’m not looking to combat ambient light, just have “pop” in both 2D and 3D.
post #913 of 1309 Old 05-01-2012, 03:20 PM

Ya........sorry..... 7' high ceiling. Sitting distance was about 13' or so. If I had the opportunity to do it again I would have the projector drop a couple of feet or so, then retract back up when not in use. From that screen I went with the 1.1 gain grey screen, and from there I went with a 1.2 white screen. All Elunevision. I appear to have a constant internal struggle with brightness/contrast/black level I have bought a Black Diamond .8 (version II) that will go in this weekend and we will see how that does. I'm sure my brightness is going to be effected but if I like what I see I am prepared to make changes around it.....
Slippery slope this Home theater business is I tell ya!!!
post #914 of 1309 Old 05-01-2012, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ya........sorry..... 7' high ceiling. Sitting distance was about 13' or so. If I had the opportunity to do it again I would have the projector drop a couple of feet or so, then retract back up when not in use. From that screen I went with the 1.1 gain grey screen, and from there I went with a 1.2 white screen. All Elunevision. I appear to have a constant internal struggle with brightness/contrast/black level I have bought a Black Diamond .8 (version II) that will go in this weekend and we will see how that does. I'm sure my brightness is going to be effected but if I like what I see I am prepared to make changes around it.....
Slippery slope this Home theater business is I tell ya!!!

BINGO my friend, bingo!

13' sitting distance sounds better, this is exactly the story that many have had to go through, try and see, try and see something else until you like the image....

I'm glad a local AVS member invited me out to his place and he had a very bright ambient room, but lights were controlled with dimmers, and drapes covered windows, but white ceiling, and medium green walls with a shine of reflectivity, and carpet, he showed me his white screen ( sorry it was a different brand ) and how much the ambient light washed out the image, then we changed his screen to a cine-grey screen, it was night and day better, the black levels were the best with the grey screen, and made for better image quality....

I may be confused about the gain numbers, but it would sound about right about trying the 2.4 screen for more pop, it's a big mess as if you watched the Dark Knight, it has a lot of dark scenes, some other movies are very bright, so hopefully you find a happy medium with both....
post #915 of 1309 Old 05-03-2012, 01:10 PM

Liked: 11

I wanted to add that Eastporters has been tremendously helpful and responsive which I neglected to note in my original post.

Thanks!
verkion
Blue Rain likes this.
post #916 of 1309 Old 05-03-2012, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Review of 12" 16x9 Reference Tab Tension AudioWeave

I have had this screen for a few weeks now. Here's a short review.

Communication with Eastporters is exceptional. Nothing negative to say
here!

Packing: The hugely long box came double-boxed to resist shipping damage.
It was easy to get into the basement through a Window. I helped the
Purolator guy get it into the house. Suggestion: The box could indicate
"this side towards projector" so that you know which way to unpack before
you do so. I was lucky.

Installation: The screen hangs on two brackets, not unlike kitchen
cabinets. Screw the brackets level either to the ceiling or wall (I put
mine up on the floor joists) and simply hang the screen (after
removing a few shipping brackets that secure the assembly together), slide
it side-by-side to center, and secure by tightening a set screw. Easy as
pie.

Fit and finish: Very nice! Looks more sturdy and heavier than I thought it
would. Down side: the AC plug connects in after raising a small panel on
the right side of the screen assembly, which will then stay raised all the
time. I wish it weren't there at all since it's not like we can't NOT plug
it in.

To lower it, a remote-control is supplied. There's a RJ45-to-serial
connector provided; not too sure why. A wireless trigger is optional but I
a hardwire trigger is not included. It would have been a nice touch.

I lowered the screen... Nice smooth motion. Easy to adjust where it stops
by turns of a provided tool.

There was no tension at all on the screen, so I used the provided Allen key
to put some on. I am unsure how much is needed. There are very faint
waves in the screen, which I gather are not supposed to be there: People
tell me it should be perfectly flat. Dave said he would replace the screen
when he got the next batch. Honestly, I am of mixed minds about it. I
want to have a perfect screen for years to come, but the waves have such
small amplitude that they have not once been apparent with projected
material.

How does it sound? I guess I should try to listen to something while I
lower the screen to listen for a difference, but to me the hidden speaker
sounds the same as when the screen is up. Perfect!

How does it look? Bear in mind that this is my first projector (BenQ W6000
in a fully light-controlled room) and that I projected onto a king-sized
bed sheet for 3 months before I got the screen... But it looks fantastic!
The image pops like a huge plasma. It is completely uniform; no hot spots
at all. Colours look amazing. Perforations don't come at a cost of loss
of detail to my eye.

Picture below taken without pausing the player...

Love the look in my system (electric cord no longer there; I added an outlet in the ceiling. Still have to box in the screen and put up a dark suspended ceiling):

2012-06-24 Edit: I have noticed that the size isn't exactly 16x9.  It measures 104 1/2 x 58 1/4 (or 119.6 in diagonal), but 16x9 at 104.5 width should be half an inch higher (58 3/4).  On full screen movies, my projector overshots the screen by about an inch in height and is perceptible.  I don't know how common that is.

post #917 of 1309 Old 05-15-2012, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member

Hey psgcdn, I'm thinking about doing a 120" reference tensioned and not fixed screen for my setup since I'm thinking about having a duel panel on the wall with a projector in the space. Thanks for the review. Can I ask which side the plug cord comes out of in the back of the case? I'm currently framing and I am planning out the space.

Thanks
post #918 of 1309 Old 05-15-2012, 08:51 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

Hey psgcdn, I'm thinking about doing a 120" reference tensioned and not fixed screen for my setup since I'm thinking about having a duel panel on the wall with a projector in the space. Thanks for the review. Can I ask which side the plug cord comes out of in the back of the case? I'm currently framing and I am planning out the space.

Thanks

The plug is on the right side.

Milosh
Blue Rain likes this.
post #919 of 1309 Old 05-19-2012, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Perfect, thank you for that. One more, how long is the power cord?
post #920 of 1309 Old 05-19-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:

Perfect, thank you for that. One more, how long is the power cord?

It's 5 meters long.

Milosh
post #921 of 1309 Old 05-23-2012, 11:37 AM

Anyone here using a Vivid Pro-Cinema White/Grey screen with a BenQ W6000?

I'm trying to decide what would be better for my application, the higher-gain white, or the grey screen. I love deeper blacks, but need a bright image due to the size of the screen (either the 128" or 135").

The setup is the my basement where there is some ambient light in the daytime, but the critical viewing will be done at night, with no light. Light-coloured walls/ceiling, 17 foot viewing distance, shelf mounted projector(2 feet from top of screen).

Any guidance would be helpful. I'm also open to the idea of the Elara II, but fear the gain will not be adequate for my application.
post #922 of 1309 Old 06-08-2012, 07:02 AM

Bumping...
post #923 of 1309 Old 06-08-2012, 08:23 PM

You have a fairly bright projector, between the two, the 1.8 gain gray will give you the brightness you want along with great black levels. Just remember that with all high-gain screens, hot-spotting will be there, so try to align your projector and your seating as close to the center of the screen as possible.

With the factors you've given me, unless absolutely critical for the ambient light watching times, if I had your setup, I'd definitely get a Reference Studio White screen. I've had a few hours of viewing with Panasonic AR100U and a 135", and I found the brightness to be excellent when watching at night. Given that you're not mounting the projector on a coffee table (which would have the effect of bouncing most of the light back near your eye-level, and thus give you a bright image), a high-gain screen just isn't what I would personally get. If you do get it though, you'll notice that when you stand up, the image will be a lot more brighter than when you sit down with any high gain screen. Keep in mind that this is the characteristic of high-gain retro-reflective materials, they concentrate most of the brightness back to the light-source.

If most of the viewing is done at night, I wouldn't sacrifice the quality of that critical time to make daytime watching better. If the opposite was true, I would go with the 1.8 gain gray (again, assuming I can table-mount the projector or mount it behind me in a way that I have it just above my eye-level, to get the most out of the high-gain material, and reduce the visibility of hot-spotting).

Milosh
post #924 of 1309 Old 06-08-2012, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miloshj View Post

You have a fairly bright projector, between the two, the 1.8 gain gray will give you the brightness you want along with great black levels. Just remember that with all high-gain screens, hot-spotting will be there, so try to align your projector and your seating as close to the center of the screen as possible.
With the factors you've given me, unless absolutely critical for the ambient light watching times, if I had your setup, I'd definitely get a Reference Studio White screen. I've had a few hours of viewing with Panasonic AR100U and a 135", and I found the brightness to be excellent when watching at night. Given that you're not mounting the projector on a coffee table (which would have the effect of bouncing most of the light back near your eye-level, and thus give you a bright image), a high-gain screen just isn't what I would personally get. If you do get it though, you'll notice that when you stand up, the image will be a lot more brighter than when you sit down with any high gain screen. Keep in mind that this is the characteristic of high-gain retro-reflective materials, they concentrate most of the brightness back to the light-source.
If most of the viewing is done at night, I wouldn't sacrifice the quality of that critical time to make daytime watching better. If the opposite was true, I would go with the 1.8 gain gray (again, assuming I can table-mount the projector or mount it behind me in a way that I have it just above my eye-level, to get the most out of the high-gain material, and reduce the visibility of hot-spotting).
Milosh

Money is somewhat of a deciding factor, but are the ref. whites available in 135" ? Site shows 115" max.
post #925 of 1309 Old 06-09-2012, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Money is somewhat of a deciding factor, but are the ref. whites available in 135" ? Site shows 115" max.

Yes, they are, and are generally stocked - just not listed on the website. You can send an email through the website if you have interest in it.

Milosh
post #926 of 1309 Old 06-23-2012, 01:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Wow, my first post with the new site format, did not realize the forum would change so drastically....

I'm still considering a 115 to 120" tensioned 2.35:1 electric screen, looking possible in the next month or two, or three....

Has Elunevision released any new screen materials?
post #927 of 1309 Old 06-23-2012, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

The Acoustically Transparent is the only new one that I am aware of.

http://elunevision.com/audioweave-tab-tensioned.html

post #928 of 1309 Old 06-27-2012, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

I updated my quick review a few days ago:

I have noticed that the size isn't exactly 16x9. It measures 104 1/2 x 58 1/4 (or 119.6 in diagonal), but 16x9 at 104.5 width should be half an inch higher (58 3/4). On full screen movies, my projector overshots the screen by about an inch in height and is perceptible. I don't know how common that is.

post #929 of 1309 Old 07-03-2012, 01:36 PM

Are Elunevision and Visual Apex screens made by the same manufacturer? The tab tensioned screens look to have the same case, same tool for controlling drop, same wireless trigger etc. I wonder if the screen materials are the same. I'm a cheapskate and am looking to go with VApex if all else is equal.
post #930 of 1309 Old 07-03-2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Are Elunevision and Visual Apex screens made by the same manufacturer? The tab tensioned screens look to have the same case, same tool for controlling drop, same wireless trigger etc. I wonder if the screen materials are the same. I'm a cheapskate and am looking to go with VApex if all else is equal.

No, the screen materials are completely different. The housing is the same, as we likely the same third-party manufacturer for the housing, but our proprietary material is what basically makes the screen. We engineer and use our own Reference Studio 100EL material, whereas the material that the VisualApex uses is equivalent to the material that we use for our Titan screens.

In other words, if you are looking for a midrange performance screen material, our Titan is the way to go, having equivalent image performance and a better price than the Visual Apex screen - keeping in mind that neither are Reference level performance, and both will have hot-spotting, texturing, etc.

An easy way to see our Reference 100EL materials are completely different is that the back of their screen material is black (written in their description), while ours does not have black backing. We don't have it in our proprietary, in-house engineered material because it's the only material that gives absolutely zero hot-spotting, texturing and perfect uniformity in a Tab-Tensioned format. Their material is a much thicker, less elastic material with no engineering design going into it and all of the flaws there, just the cheapest off the shelf material they can find in order to sell a cheap screen.

At the end of the day, the material is the most important part of any screen, and that's where you'll notice a huge difference between our screens and VisualApex's and other tab-tensioned screens in their price-range - notably (as a summary) in the following areas:

1. Excellent colour accuracy
2. Perfect colour uniformity
3. No texturing - you'll notice zero texturing when viewing bright scenes, even hockey, and you'll have no problem running your 4K x 2K resolution projector a few years down the road, whereas non-Reference screens degrade even pixels of 1080p projector output
4. Absolutely zero hot-spotting - again, the brightest movie scene or even hockey will have zero hot-spotting on our material

Our Reference screens are meant to compete with Reference level screens from competitors - the $3000-5000 and higher screens from Stewart, Da-Lite and Draper that use their best materials. In that regards, EluneVision screens are an amazing value compared to other Reference-level screens.

For the Visual Apex screen materials, EluneVision has the Titan Tab-Tensioned screen as the direct competitor in terms of projection performance.

Milosh
Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Epson , Epson Emp Tw600 Replacement Projector Lamp Elplp35 V13h010l35
Gear in this thread - Tw600 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page