AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveHao View Post

Hi All

The Enligther 4K, being a more extremely tightly woven material, will actually have worse sound performance than both Seymour and our materials. The holes are simply too small and it severely impedes the movement of air across the material. This results in large attenuation as we move to the higher frequencies of human hearing. We actually experimented with very tight weaves during our design and development stage. We decided against extremely tightly woven weaves as it conflicted with our No Compromise design principle. Our design goal was to create a material that did not compromise video performance over audio performance or vice versa. The holes were essentially microscopic and just simply too small for the air to move properly. This resulted in 4 db of attenuation. Furthermore, the linearity of the material is also not very good, as the response curve of the material does not follow the response curve of the speakers. This means you can’t simply just increase the volume to compensate, certain frequencies will be too loud and some too quiet. Also, remember, when you boost the volume you are also increasing the distortion of your audio system.

You can actually see the audio performance of the Enlightor 4K material in the image below, this is pulled from their own test results:

You can see from the curve that the difference varies from 0.5db to over about 5db as the frequencies increase. Average is about 3 db. Another thing you notice is that the material is that even for frequencies even less than 1kHz, there is 2db of attenuation, where as with our material, frequencies under 1kHz, there is essentially zero attenuation. This is because lower frequencies with longer wavelength pass through materials much easier. Also you notice the lack of linearity from the graph. You can see that at about 4-5kHz, the gap actually narrows and the difference becomes zero, this shows that the material is actually non-linear and causing certain frequencies to peak and others to get lower. You can see especially in the midrange frequencies, the difference between the red and blue lines changes quiet rapidly showing non-linearity.
With no perceivable difference in video quality and far degraded audio quality, we did not go in the direction of super tightly woven materials. Instead we designed our material to be tightly woven with a high density of very small holes for audio performance.

To get a better understanding of this, visit this link:

http://elunevision.com/audioweave-fixed-features.html

I know it is pretty, technical but it will give you a good understanding of just how the materials work.
So really, in conclusion, we designed a material that is the best balance in terms of audio and video performance. From realistic viewing distances of 7’ or more, you cannot see any difference between the perfectly smooth Reference Studio 100 4K material and the AudioWeave 4K.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask me.
Thanks
Dave, BEng
EluneVision

Hi Dave -

Your testing of the samples you freely requested from us was not done under proper tensioning. The Enlightor-4K must be tensioned for it to meet its acoustic specifications and accurately indicate what the real-world performance is. The chart you reference shows the combination of the 4K and the secondary black backing layer, which in most cases is not required. While I appreciate the design directions you took, your conclusions on our materials are fundamentally flawed.

Please call to discuss if you'd like to learn more about design and testing of acoustically transparent materials.

Cheers,
Chris
515-450-5694

Seymour AV
Seymour-Screen Excellence
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1277 Old 02-21-2013, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Hey guys...

So I haven't even logged onto this site in over a year (long story). But I sent an email off to Dave and Milosh the other day and told them that I would really like to post some brief feedback on the screen I purchased from them last December, and they suggested this might be a good place to do that.

I have been avoiding making an investment in a nicer screen since my living situation is a bit nomadic right now. In December I decided to move into my lady friend's apartment to share expenses for a while, with the understanding that one of the extra rooms would be converted to a small HT room. I knew this would probably only be about a 6 month - 1 year situation, so I just wanted something to hold me over temporarily. As much as I still just wanted to get a Reference model, I decided that I'd go with a cheapo option for now until I had a bit more stability. So since I had had a few positive interactions with Dave and Milosh via email previously when I was researching their reference screen, I went ahead and just placed an order for a 92" Pro Cinema Gray pull-down model.

My projector is an Epson 3010 that I had previously been using on a 120" Elite screen in a larger room. This new room had about the same amount of ambient light, so it was only completely dark during the night time hours. Anyway, the screen arrived well-packed and in a timely manner (about 3 business days after placing the order) and I had the wall measured out and the screen up in no time. Here is a pic of the room to give you a better idea....it's still a work in progress, but so far things are moving along nicely for a small HT:

Now here is where we get to the motivation for wanting to post my impressions: I work from home twice per week, so I often enjoy having the tv on during the day as a distraction. In this case I decided to set up shop in my HT room, so instead of a little tv, I fired up the projector. The first time I fired up my Epson during the day, I have to say that I was shocked that a cheapo screen that cost me under two bills could produce anywhere near this kind of image. I was expecting a slight improvement over the Elite screen simply because the throw distance was about 5' shorter, but this improvement went well beyond a slight improvement. The biggest thing I noticed was that, if you look at the pic, you'll see that this room dictates that I have the screen on the left side of the room as opposed to centered on a wall. My seating position when I work is outside the right edge of the screen, but somehow the image maintained uniformity even sitting that far outside of it. The image seemed to be devoid of any hot spots and the colors were popping quite a bit more than what the Elite screen produced.

Like many of you, my goals are to have a higher end projection rig, but for those of you who might be in a situation that dictates more of a budget system for the time being, I can't recommend this product more highly. Quick funny story here...in January we switched from Dish Network to Charter Cable (somewhat regrettably!), and it was pretty clear from the first few minutes in talking with him that the rep was very much into HT and audio. I didn't have plans to put cable in the HT room, but since that's where the modem was going I just decided to add a box in there, as well. To make a long story short, he said that he needed a display in order to set up the box, and asked if I could turn on the projector. I fired it up for him and then got a phone call that I took in the other room. About ten mins later I realized he was still in the room, so I went to check and see how things were coming. He looked at me and said, "if you don't mind me asking, how much was this screen?" I told him that I paid around $180 shipped and the projector was about $1300 when I bought it last year. He looked at me and said, "I knew I should have done this...I paid over $2000 for my 60" 3D plasma at Christmas, but if I knew that a projector image looked this good I would have done this instead." That pretty much said it all right there smile.gif
post #993 of 1277 Old 02-23-2013, 04:12 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Was going to get the Elune Vision 1.4 gain but was recommended the Reference
So I went with that and purchased a Elune Vision 150" Reference. (He recommended a 135" I just had to go with a big screen >.<)
Read every single post of this thread.

Also purchased a Epson 5020UB from SonicVisions and completely missed the Eastporters package price. frown.gif
Although discounted a lot for the projector and free shipping could of gotten some one the screen as well.

Might of saved myself 50$ish =/
Just wish I wasn't so trigger happy with the mouse.

Anyways great service from Milosh.
Even added my email for updates from the shipper.

Now time to wait.
Monday I get projector, dunno how long it will take to get the screen with Puro.

-Steve

Equipment List: Preamp/Processor: Sherbourn PT-7030 [] Speakers: Energy RC-70[] Amplifier: Parasound A21[] Projector: Epson 5020ub [] Screen: Elunevision Reference 150"
PC/HTPC: Intel Q6600 [] GTX670 [] 4 GB Ram [] Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Cabling: Speaker Cable: BlueJeansCable 10 AWG [] Interconnects: HDMI - Redmere Cable 50 ft
Audio Cable: XLR - From Orange County Speaker - 50ft
post #994 of 1277 Old 02-24-2013, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wrong thread!
post #995 of 1277 Old 03-04-2013, 02:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I see Elunevision has two 2.4 materials, the Vivid-Pro Cinema White 2.4, and the PureBright 4K 240. How do these materials compare to Dalites 2.4 High Power? I assume they are retro reflective as well?

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Snake Plissken

post #996 of 1277 Old 03-04-2013, 10:55 AM

Are you offering an in-ceiling application for your Reference Studio AudioWeave 4K Tensioned Motorized Screen?
post #997 of 1277 Old 03-05-2013, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Dear EluneVision,

Is the PureBright 4K 240 material the exact same material as Da-Lite's High Power (HP 2.4) material (which itself is the same exact material as the Draper 'Radiant' 2.9)?

Reason I ask is b/c people all over AVS, including myself, are complaining about the HP & HCHP (High Contrast High Power, or the HP material with a grey underlying base) having banding (dark horizontal/vertical stripes/striations).

Here's a photo showing all the problems with these materials:

You can read my extensive description of the problem here:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1334832/new-high-contrast-high-power-discussion-thread/390#post_23021074

Furthermore, check out this video I made documenting the banding: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/17192883/DraperContrastRadiant-Texture_1080p_20Mbps.mp4

So, I wish to know if your material is the same (i.e. do you source it from the same manufacturer as Da-Lite/Draper)? If so, I have no confidence that EluneVision's screen is better than the HP/HCHP offerings.

Have you seen any of this banding on your PureBright 4K 240 screen?

It's very frustrating as a consumer b/c it appears that there is no good option on the market for a retroreflective narrow viewing cone screen without problems. And these screens are *essential* for maintaining contrast in non-batcave environments, since the ratio of light being sent to viewer vs. being scattered to nearby side walls/ceilings is extremely high. In other words, I think these screens are essential for the wider adoption of projection technology in general, since not everyone wants a dedicated HT room (especially for city condo living).

Apparently Da-Lite *used* to make a great retroreflective screen: the HP 2.8 gain. This, supposedly, had no banding issues, or much texture either. But they don't make it anymore! They've *regressed*.

Extremely frustrating.

Thanks in advance for your help!
post #998 of 1277 Old 03-05-2013, 08:25 PM

Liked: 49
Dave what is the "real world" gain on the Audioweave? Judging by my samples I'd say it's about .85 but I'm wondering if you have tested it. Thanks

Here is my build thread:

---->Like a Boss Theater Build<----
post #999 of 1277 Old 03-07-2013, 04:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarangiman View Post

Dear EluneVision,

Is the PureBright 4K 240 material the exact same material as Da-Lite's High Power (HP 2.4) material (which itself is the same exact material as the Draper 'Radiant' 2.9)?

Reason I ask is b/c people all over AVS, including myself, are complaining about the HP & HCHP (High Contrast High Power, or the HP material with a grey underlying base) having banding (dark horizontal/vertical stripes/striations).

Here's a photo showing all the problems with these materials:

You can read my extensive description of the problem here:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1334832/new-high-contrast-high-power-discussion-thread/390#post_23021074

Furthermore, check out this video I made documenting the banding: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/17192883/DraperContrastRadiant-Texture_1080p_20Mbps.mp4

So, I wish to know if your material is the same (i.e. do you source it from the same manufacturer as Da-Lite/Draper)? If so, I have no confidence that EluneVision's screen is better than the HP/HCHP offerings.

Have you seen any of this banding on your PureBright 4K 240 screen?

It's very frustrating as a consumer b/c it appears that there is no good option on the market for a retroreflective narrow viewing cone screen without problems. And these screens are *essential* for maintaining contrast in non-batcave environments, since the ratio of light being sent to viewer vs. being scattered to nearby side walls/ceilings is extremely high. In other words, I think these screens are essential for the wider adoption of projection technology in general, since not everyone wants a dedicated HT room (especially for city condo living).

Apparently Da-Lite *used* to make a great retroreflective screen: the HP 2.8 gain. This, supposedly, had no banding issues, or much texture either. But they don't make it anymore! They've *regressed*.

Extremely frustrating.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Very good questions, I hope Elunevision give some kind on repond to your request....
post #1000 of 1277 Old 03-13-2013, 10:47 PM

Liked: 11
So I noticed on Costco's web site that they have the 100' Fixed Frame reference screen for $869.99.. that's about $130 less than Eastporters...

Is that the same screen or is it a Costco "special edition" screen made by EluneVision with some other "value adds?"

http://www.costco.ca/Elunevision-Reference-100-in.-Fixed-Frame-Projection-Screen-.product.100029582.html?catalogId=11201&keyword=elunevision&langId=-24&storeId=10302
post #1001 of 1277 Old 03-21-2013, 09:39 AM

hey guys looking for feed back on

120" EluneVision High Definition Cinema White Fixed Frame Screen - 16:9....

just not sure if i can fit the 4K screen into the budget right now....

what are your thoughts
post #1002 of 1277 Old 03-22-2013, 12:26 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spekter View Post

Same thing for me..

I would like to get one if they are not bad.

Price is good but we don't know about the quality.
post #1003 of 1277 Old 03-22-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModestHT View Post

Are you offering an in-ceiling application for your Reference Studio AudioWeave 4K Tensioned Motorized Screen?
i purchased and audioweave tensioned retractable but had to return it, it didn't have a black backing as advertised( this has since been amended on the website) , an unbelievable amount of light passed through the screen and the colours looked washed out due to the lack of black backing, in my opinion the customer service was also poor when I contacted them, I would definitely NOT recommend the AT retractable's from elunevision
post #1004 of 1277 Old 03-23-2013, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmartin View Post

i purchased and audioweave tensioned retractable but had to return it, it didn't have a black backing as advertised( this has since been amended on the website) , an unbelievable amount of light passed through the screen and the colours looked washed out due to the lack of black backing, in my opinion the customer service was also poor when I contacted them, I would definitely NOT recommend the AT retractable's from elunevision

Good to know, thanks. Are they not offering the black backing with this application at all?
post #1005 of 1277 Old 03-23-2013, 06:56 AM

Not on the acoustically transparent screens
post #1006 of 1277 Old 03-25-2013, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModestHT View Post

ModestHT,

I am using the Reference Studio AudioWeave 4k tensioned Motorized screens in the HT I am currently building, almost finished building it. The screens that I setup actually worked out far better then I originally expected. I have a couple of buddy's that come over often and comment on how awesome the picture and sound are in my setup. One of them in particular is in the "video" profession and works with very expensive studio grade cameras for a television company that he's worked for 25 years. His reaction when he first saw the setup was more then flattering and speaks highly about the equipment I chose for my setup and his case its about video.

I chose these screens not only for there excellent video and audio performance but also for there mounting flexibility and ease of integration into my automation system at no additional cost.

terra
post #1007 of 1277 Old 03-26-2013, 05:54 AM

That's great to know Terra. Did your application come with the black backing?
post #1008 of 1277 Old 03-26-2013, 09:51 AM

When I first started researching screens I was under the impression that I needed the black backing. I later realized that for my setup black backing was not necessary and if I was going to get black backing "just in case" I was running the risk of compromising the sound. The sound is very important to me. My room was tested and acoustically treated for my specific speakers. In my opinion if your going to go with a acoustically transparent screen it's because of the centre channel position. Having the centre channel properly positioned is worth it 10 fold. Mine is only 2" away from the screen and 5" away from the other screen. Now if someone is going to have a mirror or something similar behind the screen then I would for sure look at getting a screen with black backing. But I think it would be worth it to just remove the mirror and forget about the black backing and position that centre channel properly in a dedicated HT room.

It's all about compromise and what is best for your specific situation. Originally I had narrowed it down to Screen company A and the ElunVision. I had worked out a deal with company A and was ready to order but after waiting for replies and trying to get answered, frustrated, I decided to move to a different company. To this day I still have not received an answer. With ElunVision I got all my questions answered and I am very happy with the product and the service I received, so much that I own more then one.

terra
ModestHT likes this.
post #1009 of 1277 Old 03-26-2013, 08:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
If you have anything behind the screen you'll need some sort of black backing. What I mean is a television, entertainment unit etc, etc. or just a big space. The light that leaks through will fill the back space and act like a back light on the back side of the screen causing all kinds of image issues. If the space is big enough behind the screen then you may see a secondary image that will act like a weird over scan.

If the screen is in tight with little to no space then you may be OK or if the space is a sealed dark area.
post #1010 of 1277 Old 03-27-2013, 01:43 PM

Okay, thanks for all the information. This may be a concern since I am building the screen into a ceiling soffit whereas the acoustically transparent screen would be dropped in front of a large plasma TV and 18" in front of the back wall. Sounds like without the black backing it's a no go with this option.

I have attached a couple of photos to acclimate yourselves. Any other ideas or advice for me?

post #1011 of 1277 Old 03-27-2013, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Just my opinion but the space is enclosed enough to handle a screen without black backing but your television would definitely be an issue as would the glass from your entertainment unit. Also the colour would reflect too much light back onto the screen (you would need a dark flat colour in the enclosure, IMHO). I would definitely look for a screen that has black backing. Hopefully Elunevision will offer one on their electrics in the future.

BTW, nice looking room!
post #1012 of 1277 Old 03-27-2013, 05:15 PM

Thanks for the compliments and the advice. I will call them and see what their timeline is for a product like that or if it's something they are willing to make.
post #1013 of 1277 Old 03-28-2013, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
ModestHT:

Maybe you could just roll some speaker cloth, or the same black matte cloth over the front of your flat panel, to help with no reflections, I was going to consider an AT screen, but I'd have the same issues with any reflective surfaces behind a screen, I'd have to do the same thing.
post #1014 of 1277 Old 03-28-2013, 09:13 AM

Yes, that could work too! I am looking at Screen Excellence as they have a true in-ceiling application. I am going to look at SMX too. Looking forward to watching movies in a true cinematic venue.
post #1015 of 1277 Old 03-30-2013, 09:21 AM

I have just ordered the screen excellence retractable screen, it has black backing and black velvet borders , I returned the elunevision screen because of the huge amount of light passing through it because of the lack of the black backing, I have a 70" tv behind the screen and with the elunevision screen I could see the reflection from the tv of the projector bulb on the screen, I was very disappointed with the elunevision screen
post #1016 of 1277 Old 03-31-2013, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmartin View Post

I have just ordered the screen excellence retractable screen, it has black backing and black velvet borders , I returned the elunevision screen because of the huge amount of light passing through it because of the lack of the black backing, I have a 70" tv behind the screen and with the elunevision screen I could see the reflection from the tv of the projector bulb on the screen, I was very disappointed with the elunevision screen

I look forward to hearing your review once you get your screen installed.
post #1017 of 1277 Old 04-02-2013, 05:51 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Could anyone give me some advice on my setup. I have a light controlled room that's very dark blue including the ceiling. I have my choices narrowed down to the white 1.2 gain or the 1.4 silver. I will be viewing some 3d on the setup. I have a w1070 benq that is bright but iam planning on using a nd2 filter for 2d. Will the silver screen have more hot spots and sparkles? The only reason I'm thinking of going with the silver is to get brighter 3d. Any help will be great thanks.

FYI I already have the elara white 1.2 gain. I think it looks great I have no hot spots and for the price I'm impressed so far. I see a little bit of sparkles but its not a deal breaker. Just wonding if upgrading to the elara 2 silver would be worth the extra money. Thanks again.
post #1018 of 1277 Old 04-03-2013, 11:23 AM
Just add water and stir

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 461
I am very pleased with my new Reference 4K. This screen was an upgrade over my previous Elara II silver.

Sadly to say I never had a chance to compare it to my old projector as I upgraded both screen and projector together. Though, scenes of intense white do appear more crisp and focused. The overall texture is impressive.

My personal expereince has been very pleasing with the new Reference 4K.

Thank you EluneVision.
ModestHT likes this.
post #1019 of 1277 Old 04-16-2013, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Just got my 100" 4k reference screen into my small room. Went together well and I really like the 5" velvet border - makes the screen look legit.

I will get some impressions and try to take some pics when I get the Sony HW50 running in a few days.
post #1020 of 1277 Old 04-16-2013, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamd View Post

Could anyone give me some advice on my setup. I have a light controlled room that's very dark blue including the ceiling. I have my choices narrowed down to the white 1.2 gain or the 1.4 silver. I will be viewing some 3d on the setup. I have a w1070 benq that is bright but iam planning on using a nd2 filter for 2d. Will the silver screen have more hot spots and sparkles? The only reason I'm thinking of going with the silver is to get brighter 3d. Any help will be great thanks.

FYI I already have the elara white 1.2 gain. I think it looks great I have no hot spots and for the price I'm impressed so far. I see a little bit of sparkles but its not a deal breaker. Just wondering if upgrading to the elara 2 silver would be worth the extra money. Thanks again.

Can't say but you should see if you can get a sample. Shouldn't be too hard since you're an existing customer!

Also get a sample of the 4k reference, if possible.
Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Epson , Epson Emp Tw600 Replacement Projector Lamp Elplp35 V13h010l35
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page