EluneVision screens - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-18-2006, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
1.8 is awesome, I might be able to do white screen if it is that high. Did they mention any price increase?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2006, 08:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I didn't ask about pricing... Sorry

When it comes to home theater and all the attributes of this projector or that projector some people have chosen to take the blue pill.
Old 09-19-2006, 06:08 AM
Advanced Member

Not a problem. Thanks for the heads up though.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixKindsOfWonder View Post

Just got off the phone:

The new arrival date is 1st week of October and of notable mention is a 1.8 grey screen material.

I might have to hold out for that.

Did they say whether the 1.8 grey will be available in 120" or bigger?
Old 09-24-2006, 10:10 PM

IIRC, they said that all four screen materials will be available in all four sizes.

When it comes to home theater and all the attributes of this projector or that projector some people have chosen to take the blue pill.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:03 PM

Make that arrival date in 1 to 2 weeks.

Old 10-10-2006, 06:09 AM
Advanced Member

I wish they would just say 16 years from now because I get excited and then they push it back. But if they said 16 years from now when it comes in 2 weeks I would be suprised AND excited.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:15 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
More pics of my screen.

Click on my signature to view the slideshow.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Dragon, that in one word is perfect. Your room is my "grail" . How long did it take to complete? I am suprised that you left the sub out, with that much extra play room I think I would of pushed the scren wall out another few feet and put an i.b sub in/behind it.

Is the screen meeting all of your expectations or do you have any complaints? With it getting so close to christmas time I probably will need to wait until after the holidays before I will be able to buy so that gives me time ( assuming they ever get the new stock out) to replan and look at other option but right now I am planning on going with either 106 or 120" 1.8 gray screen ( again if they get it ).

Are there texture or sparkley issues with your screen? That was one of the biggest issues I had with my Graywolf. It is still leaning in the corner of my living room, I keep saying its going up for sale but I never get that far.
Old 10-15-2006, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadci View Post

Dragon, that in one word is perfect. Your room is my "grail" . How long did it take to complete? I am suprised that you left the sub out, with that much extra play room I think I would of pushed the scren wall out another few feet and put an i.b sub in/behind it.

THANKS! It took about 8 months to finish the HT and the rest of the basement. The HT section was about 1/3 the size of the basement but about 1/2 of the work.

I initially planned to have the sub in the back right section of the HT space, right beside the chairs and under the right surround speaker. However, after hooking things up, it sounded AWFUL in that placement, so I moved it and now it sounds GREAT. I didn't want to put the sub into the wall because I wanted to keep the shadow box as deep as possible, and I was afraid it might sound too boomy in that wall cavity. The depth of the shadow box is 1' and the space behind the wall is 1' (just enough depth for the LCR speakers).

Quote:

Is the screen meeting all of your expectations or do you have any complaints? With it getting so close to christmas time I probably will need to wait until after the holidays before I will be able to buy so that gives me time ( assuming they ever get the new stock out) to replan and look at other option but right now I am planning on going with either 106 or 120" 1.8 gray screen ( again if they get it ).

One complaint with the Elunevision is that it didn't come in a 100" size which I had planned for (that's why there is a gap of 5-6 inches beside and under the screen). A second complaint would be the grey frame as it does not absorb any light.

Fortunately, it is a perfect 16:9 size, so I have scaled my PJ output right to the edge of the screen material. This works good for TV (except for some SD channels where you see a couple lines of garbage along the top). Unfortunately, my dvd player (Oppo) has a slight underscan issue so that the image stops short of the frame by a few pixels. For me, this doesn't detract from the overall enjoyment of the picture because I ignore it. And for 2.35:1 movies, there's a huge bar above and below the screen anyways. Ideally, I would like to have a light-absorbent frame so that I can utilize those couple extra lines using the DVD player and hide the subtitle garbage with TV.

But, then I tell myself, for $300, you can't go wrong with the EluneVision.

Quote:

Are there texture or sparkley issues with your screen? That was one of the biggest issues I had with my Graywolf. It is still leaning in the corner of my living room, I keep saying its going up for sale but I never get that far.

The only sparklie issue I've seen is when I sit directly on the floor right in front of the stage (about 3' away). There was a very bright scene on screen at the time and I noticed just a little. Again, a non-issue really because nobody would ever sit where I did, and even from my red rocker chair position, the sparklies aren't a problem. There isn't any sparklie issues from any of my chairs (although, I admit, I haven't actively looked for it). Suffice it to say, there has been nothing noticeable in regular viewing.

Good luck with your screen choice. I left mine until last minute, and I guess I ordered it just in time!
Old 10-15-2006, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

Glad you are enjoying your setup. I actually got back on her just now to show your pictures to my wife. There used to be a day when projectors, hundreds of movies, more than a half dozen speakers etc. seemed very " eccentric" ( as she used to say) to her but now she is making lists of all of the movies she would like to have and is buying widescreen instead of pan and scan and she has been noticing that our sub sounds better in one place than the other.
Old 10-15-2006, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Glad you are enjoying your setup. I actually got back on her just now to show your pictures to my wife. There used to be a day when projectors, hundreds of movies, more than a half dozen speakers etc. seemed very " eccentric" ( as she used to say) to her but now she is making lists of all of the movies she would like to have and is buying widescreen instead of pan and scan and she has been noticing that our sub sounds better in one place than the other.

EXACTLY!

There's a limit on what you can put into words about what you're going to do and how much you're going to spend, but once she experiences (sight AND sound) the finished product, it's a Eureka moment.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:35 PM

More Information:

The NEW screens should arrive in a week. They are totally different than the old ones.

Frame is velvet wrapped
Screen material is now 3 ply with a black back layer (NO light leakage)
White gain is going down to 1.2 (from 1.4)
Grey gain is going down to 1.1 (from 1.2)

The new grey is a 1.8 gain and it is IDENTICAL to the Optoma Greywolf II. Acoording to the guy I talked to it "comes from the same factory".

The pricing will be within $20 for the replacements and about $100-150 more for the 1.8 grey.

All three materials will come in all four sizes.

Can you tell I'm ready for a screen?

Old 10-16-2006, 07:03 PM
Advanced Member

Thats exciting that it has a velvet border. I have read that the dark gray border is less than pleasing. I am concerned about it looking just like the graywolf. Thats what I "had" ( finally took it out of the corner and put it back in its box in the basement) I had to switch because the texture was just overwhelming at times. It really made a lot of good transfers look dirty. I may not jump in early but if the reviews I read are good I won't be far behind.

One quick though,he said it " comes from the same factory" I wonder if thats like when I was a kid and did not want generic ( Insert random food, object etc here) because I wanted name brand and she would always say "It comes from the same factory" and neglected to say that it very well might come from the same factory but its made of the scraps and left overs and pieces that were not up to par.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:48 PM

My exact question about the 1.8 (Since I only knew of one other 1.8 grey):

"Is it like or similar to the Graywolf II"

Then the guy laughed and said yes it comes from the same factory.

I too wondered if it is "seconds", but then that wouldn't make good business sense. I think that if you like or dislike the GWII, you will feel the same about this screen, also.

Old 10-17-2006, 06:07 AM
Advanced Member

Well, I had the GW1 and other than texture I loved the screen, then again, it was my first screen so I never had any reason not to. Granted I did loose quite a bit of brightness which in turn cost me a little detail and blackness when I switched to the much larger bher silverscreen but going from 92" up to 110" is a lot bigger than the math may suggest. Since there is not a 110" Elune screen I will either have to go down to the 106 or up to 120,but according to projector central, either will be just fine and dandy.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixKindsOfWonder View Post

More Information:

The NEW screens should arrive in a week. They are totally different than the old ones.

Frame is velvet wrapped
Screen material is now 3 ply with a black back layer (NO light leakage)
White gain is going down to 1.2 (from 1.4)
Grey gain is going down to 1.1 (from 1.2)

The new grey is a 1.8 gain and it is IDENTICAL to the Optoma Greywolf II. Acoording to the guy I talked to it "comes from the same factory".

The pricing will be within $20 for the replacements and about $100-150 more for the 1.8 grey.

All three materials will come in all four sizes.

Can you tell I'm ready for a screen?

Crap. That would mean the 1.8 is retroreflective, i.e. not so good for ceiling mounting. Crap.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:53 AM

I'm not in need of a 1.8 grey. I get pretty good results off of my white wall but I'd like a little extra punch. I also like how "finished" a screen makes the whole set-up look. So, I plan on getting the 1.2 white.

But, I wouldn't give up on the 1.8 grey if I were you. It seems to be real subjective when it comes to ceiling mounted applications. Some people like it, some people dislike it. You might have to try it to see if you like it.

Old 10-17-2006, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

Hey Lidless,

As mentioned, I have / used the graywolf and I also have kids and a dog and cat so keeping my projector elevated was important plus I did not want to have to get it out and set it up so I bought a stand, my dvds are in the lower shelves, my receiver is in the top shelf and my projector and dvd player are on the top of the stand, I would say around 5' off of the ground. Its really about the max you could put it up but there is no difference between having the projector on the coffee table and 5', after that it is noticable. I wonder how much lense shift plays into that, though. My z3 has vertical and horizontal shift ( which is wonderful!) .

The darker gray of the graywolf did offer much better black levels than my current silverscreen and I do miss that whole big bunches ( sorry... talking to the kids too)but the gw did dirty the whites some. I still worry about texture. I need to read some reviews re:texture with gw2 I guess.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:01 AM

Thanks for the input, but no way i'm doing other than ceiling mounting. Too many advantages, keeping it away from the kiddies (two year old and 7 month old here), is only one of them. I also like being able to jump up during a ball game and still not block the picture.

As for the kids, I'm also looking for a enclosed equipment rack with locks, but that search isn't going so well (at least if I want to spend < $2k).
Old 10-18-2006, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

For 2 grand, heck for a lot less than that you could just do a built in and put a shelf with fans for the projector so its only open during a movie.. or just give it its own door so the rest of the rack can stay closed?
Old 10-18-2006, 10:39 AM

I love ceiling mounting my projector. It looks very professional.

And the 5 year old and the 6 month old can crawl around his hearts content.

and then the Wii is coming soon.

Old 10-18-2006, 11:40 AM

I'm looking for a new electric/auto screen...............

-I have the panasonic PT-AX100U projector on order (arriving today)
2000 lumens, 6000:1 contrast ratio

-14 & 1/2 foot throw distance (I have 20 foot ceilings and plenty of room)

The EluneVision prices are great. Found the 120" online for $254.99! That's for the the 1.4 gain pure white. My projector is pretty bright so I dont think I need the extra gain. I have a light controlled room with dimmers for some minimal lighting.

I'm leaning towards the Elite CineTension. (with high contrast gray) for around $700

Does the EluneVision come in high contrast gray? like the elite

I'm trying to find the best bang for the buck screen.
(some quality overrules over price though)

Also,

The throw calc says I can fit up to a 130" screen. Do you think anything over 100" is too big? I guess I'll find out what feels comfortable as I thow it on the bare wall for the initial testing later today.

Mac Mini (Late 2012, Ivy i7-3615QM/Intel HD 4000) Win 8 Pro x64 Media Center, 2 USB Ceton InfiniTV tuners + Companion iPhone App, XBox extender, MyMovies.dk WHS 2011 StableBit DrivePool, TIP: (DISABLE Intel Graphics Control Panel's Dynamic Contrast to prevent 29/59 flicker)
Old 10-18-2006, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLidlessEye View Post

As for the kids, I'm also looking for a enclosed equipment rack with locks, but that search isn't going so well (at least if I want to spend < $2k).

For a couple hundred dollars, here's an idea.

I designed a built-in shelf for my equipment when I finished my basement. It's an Ikea Pax wardrobe cabinet which is the perfect width for components, and it's also plenty deep. Check out my signature to see the end-result, the "left wall" picture. My only problem was that it was a little bit too high to fit where I wanted, so I cut it down slightly and doors are available in 2 heights for this unit. In my case, I put a door on the back so that I could access my components from the closet behind, and just left the front open.

However, you would need a RF (vs. IR) programmable remote to control your equipment with the door closed. And, you could probably install a lock on the door to limit access by your kids.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:04 PM
Advanced Member

Someone wake me up when they arrive.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:12 AM

Quote:

Someone wake me up when they arrive.

Well, they've arrived.

But wait! Stop! Don't Go!

They aren't listed on the website, yet. The nice guy on the phone said "In a few days."

Old 10-26-2006, 12:34 PM

I ordered a 120"fixed screen in the grey yesterday. The prices are 60 higher for the new screen compared to the old one. It should be shipped out today.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member

Kind of like in Young Frankenstien when the blind men ( Gene Hackman) says to the monster " Wait, where are you going.... I was gonna make espresso" One of the best lines ever!

Good, glad they have arrived! I am anxious to start reading some reviews because I just got a nice raise this week and I am ready to spend some sweet moola.
Old 10-28-2006, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

well the new screens are up

and they also have a 2.4 pro cinema white series
Old 10-28-2006, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

Cool, I have been watching the site but have not checked since yesterday afternoon, looking forward to checking it out!

Tags
Projection Screens , Epson , Epson Emp Tw600 Replacement Projector Lamp Elplp35 V13h010l35