post #1231 of 1277 Old 03-31-2014, 06:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTI View Post

own the 100 Reference Studio 4K Tab-tensioned mine is noisy too if you look on

top of the canister you will see two mounting tabs that can slide side to side if you tape those

down it can dampen some of the sound that's if your not using them as mounts

thanks, will look into that.

EluneVision 106" Reference Studio 4K Tab-tensioned - 1.0 Gain, Benq 1070, psb T6, Rotel, OPPO, Velodine (Now),
135" AT screen, JVC-X35, 3x RF82, 3x Emotiva XPA100, Velodine, Rotel, OPPO (Sold with house).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1232 of 1277 Old 03-31-2014, 06:21 AM

Just noticed on their website it states "whisper-quiet motor operation" not sure how thats measured, but I'll have to take a drive to their show room to verify if theirs are "whisper-quiet", I might just have a defective motor!

EluneVision 106" Reference Studio 4K Tab-tensioned - 1.0 Gain, Benq 1070, psb T6, Rotel, OPPO, Velodine (Now),
135" AT screen, JVC-X35, 3x RF82, 3x Emotiva XPA100, Velodine, Rotel, OPPO (Sold with house).
post #1233 of 1277 Old 04-05-2014, 12:05 AM
Just add water and stir

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus.Young View Post

I'm working on getting a projector setup in the basement.. and have some questions about screens....

Specifically looking at Elunevision screens... how good/bad are the Elara screens compared to the Reference screens.. would be looking at 100-120 inch.. yet to be determined exactly..

I guess he question is almost 4x or 5x the price for the reference worth it... is the Elara that bad per say? It is an old projector.. a JVC RS1X source material will be from my Blu Ray/DVD collection and a HTPC...

Thank You!..

I owned an Elara II Grey, and now a 4k reference. If I could have seen the 4k way back when I was entertaining the idea of the Elara I would never have bought the Elara.

Hands down, my image is way way better off on the Reference. Dig deep, sell your wedding band, break the piggie bank, find a way and get the reference.

(Okay, don't sell your wedding band. But make it happen)

No regrets here other than I bought an unnecessary screen in the beginning. Love my reference 4k.
post #1234 of 1277 Old 04-05-2014, 07:24 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

own the 100 Reference Studio 4K Tab-tensioned mine is noisy too if you look on

top of the canister you will see two mounting tabs that can slide side to side if you tape those

down it can dampen some of the sound that's if your not using them as mounts
I don't own the screen, but I thought there is a tightening screw that you can tight down the slide?
post #1235 of 1277 Old 04-05-2014, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuluwalker View Post

I owned an Elara II Grey, and now a 4k reference. If I could have seen the 4k way back when I was entertaining the idea of the Elara I would never have bought the Elara.

Hands down, my image is way way better off on the Reference. Dig deep, sell your wedding band, break the piggie bank, find a way and get the reference.

(Okay, don't sell your wedding band. But make it happen)

No regrets here other than I bought an unnecessary screen in the beginning. Love my reference 4k.

Thanks for the advice.. I will probably go with the Reference then.. I think I will go with the 100"... I could go a bit bigger.. but I think this should work well as it leaves me some adjustment room...
zuluwalker likes this.
post #1236 of 1277 Old 04-16-2014, 07:18 PM

Liked: 10
I was looking at EluneVision for my basement. I am working on the remodel now and doing framing and insulation. At a stopping point regarding the screen because I can't decide between building a finished box up in between two joists and going with the ceiling/wall mount EluneVision (the 4K model) or taking some measurements of my spacing (exact joist locations, etc) and plan for the in-ceiling version of the same screen. The primary issue is that I don't have a ton of space between the joists because of some conduit and HVAC issues. I can probably get a 5.5" x 6" rectangle in-between the joists (inside finished space, drywall or real thin plywood finished like the rest of the ceiling w/ texture and paint).

Can anyone with the 4K model look and get some measurements of the total HxW needed to comfortably fit the on-wall version into a space? Elune says that the housing is 4 inches by 4 inches, but I can't tell how big the two mounting pieces are. Also, it 'appears' that the screen has power and control coming off the right (so stage left)? presumably the motor, height set controls and the motor control is loaded on one side?

Regarding the in-ceiling version, it's a bit more money (and a bit bigger all together) and oddly, I think it might look more commercial than just having a finished, inverted soffit between the joists. Also, with the inverted 'box' I can paint the ceiling and have it all match where the in-ceiling looks like it might be a bear to paint the plastic trim (not sure I would even try).

Any thoughts on any of this?

Thanks
post #1237 of 1277 Old 04-23-2014, 01:37 AM

So after reading up on ambient light rejection screens I decided to go with the (EluneVision Reference PureBright 4K 240 - 2.4 gain Fixed frame screen), due to the price and being available locally.   (That being said I was considering the Black Diamond 1.4 edge, DnP Blade, Elitescreens CineGrey5D and a few others.)

After talking to Milosh from Eastporters I went ahead and purchased the Elune Vision Pure Bright screen in 92"  After putting the screen together I was very excited to test it out.  I had high hopes with this screen being able to work with my (Benq W1080st) short throw projector.

I was very disappointed as the pictures below show that the screen has no better results than my current wall......  I really wanted this screen to work and with the site stating that it has ambient light rejection properties as well as getting recommended by Milosh, the screen did not do one bit of ambient light rejecting. 

Open to suggestions, maybe the way I set it up was wrong?  

(It would be a hassle to pack everything up and send it back..)

Benq W1080st is position 60inchs away from the screen, (Front On, no lens shift)

Picture:

1. showing screen vs my wall with no ambient light 
2. showing screen vs my wall with small night lamp on
3. showing screen vs my wall with room lights and night lamp on.
4. The box of the item.

EluneVision Screen info page:

Looking forward in what you guys think.
Alvin.

post #1238 of 1277 Old 04-23-2014, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

Before throwing in the towel, I'd get a light meter and measure the contrast and brightness differences between your two test subjects. Light rejection helps retain contrast.
post #1239 of 1277 Old 04-23-2014, 05:02 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. Ya I can measure it and everything... But If I can't even see the difference with my eye then what's the point? Maybe I was looking at too many black Diamond and other ambient light rejection demo videos, the difference is very noticeable. Also I'm an vfx artist so I definitely am able to pick up fine details like contract levels and sharpness with my eyes.
post #1240 of 1277 Old 04-24-2014, 05:36 PM
Advanced Member

I wonder if that 2.4 screen is angular or retro reflective....they both have their benefits and detractors.

I noticed in your pics your screen is surrounded by white walls and even a table or something down in front. I assume your ceiling is also white along with the side -walls. All that white a contrast and picture killer. You'd be surprised how much light from your PJ finds its way to your ceiling and other near-by surfaces and finds its way back to your screen.

Is this your first screen and or first screen in this location?

I have a Dalite 2.8 Hi-power 104" 2.35 screen. It is angular reflective. But it can only do so much light rejection and truly any direct light really hurts the image quite badly. It does boost the image brightness as long as you're in the viewing cone, but it really drops off after that.

One of the cheapest and best "screen" upgrades I did was to put some black felt along the top of my screen case to absorb the light reflected onto the ceiling from my PJ. I already have dark walls and the area below the screen is also dark. Thus what little light finds its way my screen now, it can handle and I don't notice any more.
post #1241 of 1277 Old 04-26-2014, 07:25 PM

Ya you are right, white walls are the number one killer for the image. With that being said that's one thing which I can't change.  I went to go take a look at black diamond 1.4 today. The Zero edge is pretty sexy but definitely has it's draw backs such as sparkles and viewing angle.   I also viewed the Elitescreen fixed frame cyber white, the frame is the exact same as my EluneVision fixed frame with the same bezel and velvet finish.  This brings me to speculate that they use the same china manufacture and just put their branding on it.  Back to the drawing board. Any suggestion on screens would be grateful.   I was thinking about getting a cheap manual or electric screen and apply this screen paint on it.

Screen paint:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rO8x0n2wvE

http://www.digital1crystal-screen-paint.com/Digital1-paint-video-demo2.html

EliteScreen Spectrum2:

http://www.amazon.ca/Screens-SPM91H-E12-Spectrum2-Electric-Projection/dp/B00C6HFFOQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1398565382&sr=8-2&keywords=elitescreen+Spectrum2

What do you guys think?

post #1242 of 1277 Old 04-27-2014, 08:19 AM
Just add water and stir

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvink View Post

So after reading up on ambient light rejection screens I decided to go with the (EluneVision Reference PureBright 4K 240 - 2.4 gain Fixed frame screen), due to the price and being available locally.   (That being said I was considering the Black Diamond 1.4 edge, DnP Blade, Elitescreens CineGrey5D and a few others.)

After talking to Milosh from Eastporters I went ahead and purchased the Elune Vision Pure Bright screen in 92"  After putting the screen together I was very excited to test it out.  I had high hopes with this screen being able to work with my (Benq W1080st) short throw projector.

I was very disappointed as the pictures below show that the screen has no better results than my current wall......  I really wanted this screen to work and with the site stating that it has ambient light rejection properties as well as getting recommended by Milosh, the screen did not do one bit of ambient light rejecting. 

Benq W1080st is position 60inchs away from the screen, (Front On, no lens shift)

Picture:
1. showing screen vs my wall with no ambient light 
2. showing screen vs my wall with small night lamp on
3. showing screen vs my wall with room lights and night lamp on.
4. The box of the item.

EluneVision Screen info page:
http://www.elunevision.com/purebright.html

Looking forward in what you guys think.
Alvin.

My first thought and question is, "Are you using the same setting on your projector for dark light controlled viewing, as you do when the lights are on?"

The different setting, sometimes uniquely named by manufacturer, set the light output and adjust color and contrast for different viewing environments. Such as Cinema for dark 100% light controlled, and Living Room for day light viewing (lights on). Though these are just two quick examples, and by no means the only two names which they could labeled, they do demonstrate my point that you need to use two unique settings for two unique environments. Watching the opposite setting could create negative results. Such as Cinema with lights on would be dull and no pop in the picture. Using Living Room in the dark would create very bright colors and look artificial or like a hyper palette of color.
post #1243 of 1277 Old 04-27-2014, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Personally I would set up curtains on either side of the screen. Something that can be easily removed, the reflections off the wall just kill th image. You would need massive lumens to counter that. Curtains would be cheaper and likely more effective. I have a completely black room and the effect is unreal, but even a few well placed treatments will make a world of difference.

James Reid:D
post #1244 of 1277 Old 04-27-2014, 02:47 PM

Liked: 14
You beat me to it. I just added blackout curtains on the side walls in my room. It is an open concept room with large openings on the sides that allow light to enter and light green walls with a white ceiling. The black curtains have really made a big difference, allowing me to now watch the projector in the day time. It used to be washed out looking like your day time picture. The thermotex black out curtains cover 10'w x 8'h on each entrance and cost me about $250 with the rods. My next upgrade will be to put black material on the ceiling above the projector extending about 6' in front of it. Like you, painting everything black was out of the question as my stereo 2 ch/ht is in the dining room.
post #1245 of 1277 Old 04-27-2014, 11:37 PM

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm currently using a custom setting for both daylight and in the dark. It only has a slight boost in contrast to make the image pop a little, the rest is at default setting. I have tried out all the other modes and find that they don't work as well. As for the curtains.. I'll have to see.. The wife doesn't want the bedroom to be blacked out... Do you guys mind to post some photos of your setup?
post #1246 of 1277 Old 04-29-2014, 07:59 AM

Liked: 12
Hi Alvin

From looking at your photos, they were taken basically out of the sweet spot of that screen. All ambient light rejecting screens from any manufacturer only have a limited sweet spot where the imagine is the brightest and where the it concentrates the light. There is usually a lot of misunderstanding when it comes to screens of this nature. Higher gain screens concentrate the light into the smaller viewing angle and within that viewing cone that's where you get the benefit. PM me your setup, where your projector is located, where you are seated in relation to the screen and projector and I can help you figure it out.

A lot of screen manufacturers use the same frames and as many of the frames come from the same aluminum factory which is just a universal fact as an aluminum supplier creates a mold and everyone buys it. The material however is not the same as the Elite Cyber White and we don't make our screens in the same place as Elite, Elite has their own factory which just makes Elite Screens, just an FYI.

Ps. I sent you a PM.

Also just an FYI for people considering the Reference Purebright 4K,

This is pasted directly from our website:
http://elunevision.com/pbfixed-features.html

Retro-Reflective - Proper Installation Required

To achieve the high brightness output, Reference PureBright 4K screens are retro-reflective, which means the light is focused and reflected directly back towards the light source, rather than scattered equally in all directions. In this way, the light from the projector is concentrated and amplified within a smaller viewing cone. This means proper installation is crucial to get the best picture from the Reference PureBright 4K Screen.

Installation Guidelines:

Place the projector as close as to the eye level of the viewing audience (table-mounting, shelf-mounting or ceiling mount with longer drop-down). EluneVision recommends the lens of the projector to be placed no more than 4.5 feet from eye level.

The projector and the audience should be horizontally centered with respect to the screen, as this will give dramatically higher brightness, contrast, and ambient-light rejection properties

The Reference PureBright 4K screen (and any other high-gain or ambient light-rejecting screen) is not recommended in the following room scenarios:

The projector is mounted at a height much different than the viewing audience's eye level

The projector is not horizontally centered with respect to the screen and/or the sitting arrangement is not tightly horizontally centered with the screen

So in a nutshell, if you are in the sweet spot, the image is very bright and your projector will look like a giant TV, but if you are outside of the sweet spot, then brightness will quickly drop off and the screen will effectively go from 2.4 gain down progressively to 1.0 gain.

For any one considering the PureBright 4K, and have questions if that is the correct screen for your setup, feel free to PM me.

Thanks
Dave
EluneVision
zuluwalker likes this.
post #1247 of 1277 Old 04-29-2014, 07:02 PM

Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvink View Post

To get the best results the projector should be further back and as close to eye level as possible. Image the best set up for HP screen as the projector is shooting over your shoulder...the further you move from this the less the HP will work.

Your short throw projector is creating quite an angle for the light path....if you do the math it's like having the projector 10 feet above your head...not ideal. (unless you sit at 5' away)

Here is my build thread:

---->Like a Boss Theater Build<----
post #1248 of 1277 Old 05-11-2014, 10:35 PM
DTI

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourtoys7 View Post

Just noticed on their website it states "whisper-quiet motor operation" not sure how thats measured, but I'll have to take a drive to their show room to verify if theirs are "whisper-quiet", I might just have a defective motor!

Did you get a chance to drive to their show room and check if the motors on the screens they have on display make as much noise as yours does
post #1249 of 1277 Old 05-13-2014, 06:52 PM

I had been thinking about it for a while and after reading these recent posts about the Elunevision Reference screens I decided to take the plunge (it's only money, right?). I ordered today an Elunevision Reference 4K 106" motorized screen to replace my 92" Titan motorized screen.

I have found that I can fit in a slightly larger screen and I am hoping that the picture will be clearer on the new screen. I did not find anything wrong with the picture on the old one but since I was upgrading the size I thought why not try a higher quality screen as well. The replaced one is going into my bedroom HT to replace a pull down version (which I never got the knack of for raising it back up without difficulty).

I will try to take some pictures with each screen for comparison when it arrives. My room is only semi dark even with my recent black-out curtains and the projector is a Mitsubishi HC-5. The Titan has a 1.2 gain compared to 1.0 gain with the reference screen. Hopefully the difference in brightness won't be a factor.
post #1250 of 1277 Old 05-14-2014, 07:03 AM

Quote:

Did you get a chance to drive to their show room and check if the motors on the screens they have on display make as much noise as yours does

Not yet, but I'm planing on it, as well I'll record the video with voice from my viewing position and compare to the one in show room.

post #1251 of 1277 Old 05-15-2014, 07:08 AM
Just add water and stir

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert-canuck View Post

I had been thinking about it for a while and after reading these recent posts about the Elunevision Reference screens I decided to take the plunge (it's only money, right?). I ordered today an Elunevision Reference 4K 106" motorized screen to replace my 92" Titan motorized screen.

I have found that I can fit in a slightly larger screen and I am hoping that the picture will be clearer on the new screen. I did not find anything wrong with the picture on the old one but since I was upgrading the size I thought why not try a higher quality screen as well. The replaced one is going into my bedroom HT to replace a pull down version (which I never got the knack of for raising it back up without difficulty).

I will try to take some pictures with each screen for comparison when it arrives. My room is only semi dark even with my recent black-out curtains and the projector is a Mitsubishi HC-5. The Titan has a 1.2 gain compared to 1.0 gain with the reference screen. Hopefully the difference in brightness won't be a factor.

Congrats on your choice! smile.gif
post #1252 of 1277 Old 05-21-2014, 05:50 PM

Picked up my 106" reference 4K screen today and unpacked it. Very well packed and not a scratch on it. I noticed there are three plates bolted to the bottom of the weight for the screen to keep it from moving around in shipping. Two bolts on each of these brackets are so tight that I broke the handle on my screw driver and stripped one bolt.mad.gif What gorilla put these on? I had to pry two of them off, resulting in deep scratches on the heavy rod. Luckily the scratches are on the back side so after I touch them up with paint, no one will ever notice.

I haven't installed it yet as I have to remove the 92" screen first and replace the ceiling brackets. I will have to buy some toggle bolts tomorrow to attach the new brackets to the ceiling. I think I might need help putting up the new screen as it is longer and heavier than the other one (which is going in the bedroom HT). It does attach easily to the brackets and seems to be a nicer design than the other one for the 92" Titan screen. The brackets are thicker (though not as wide) and the adjusting screw works more smoothly. I should have it up by Friday night. I am excited to compare it to my cheaper screen. I will try to take some pics then.smile.gif
zuluwalker likes this.
post #1253 of 1277 Old 05-22-2014, 05:41 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Nice.. Let us know how big of an improvement it is.. other than just pure size of course...

Did you pick it up right from East Porters?
post #1254 of 1277 Old 05-22-2014, 09:30 PM

I had the screen shipped from Ontario to me in Manitoba, about 500 miles.

I installed the new brackets today in place of the original ones as they were a new design. I tried to mount the screen myself but it was just too awkward so I called a friend to set it on the brackets. With help it took all of 2 minutes. I centered the screen and adjusted the projector for the new sized screen.

I have only watched a couple of things on it so far but I have noticed that it needs a darker room than the other screen, otherwise it looks more washed out. I guess this makes sense as the new screen has a gain of 1 compared to 1.2 for the old screen. The image is also larger so there is less light intensity (going from 92" to 106"). In a darkened room, the image looks bright with deeper colours. Blacks are also much better on the new screen (darker with more detail). The overall picture looks smoother and more natural. I really like it so far!smile.gif

I will have to take some comparison pictures between the old screen and the new when I have more time.
zuluwalker likes this.
post #1255 of 1277 Old 05-22-2014, 10:44 PM

Hi Guy, 

After returning my (Elune Vision Reference 4K Pure White Fixed Frame.) I decided to Try out the Screen Goo Systems Max Contrast Paint.

Why I returned the Elune Screen:

1. Cost more than $1100

2. Wife didn't like the 3.5inch black boarder.

3. Ambient light rejection quality wasn't up to my standard.

(One of the reps said that I needed to setup the screen and projector properly...I had the projector centered yet it still didn't have good results.)

Why Screen Goo Systems Max Contrast Paint:

1. Cost way less @ $260

2. Was able to get an edge less design for cheap

3. Screen was not white and had more contrast with ambient light.

4. Did not have hot spotting & Sparkles

5. Good service (answered my questions in detail)

6. A company which has been around

I was also looking to try out digital1crystal screen paint, but decided not to:

1. looked like there were more sparkles

2. Didn't get good service, (had a few questions but was brushed off with vague answers.)

3. smaller sized company - (Maybe run by just the owner)

4. Changed their products very fast.  (It's good and bad at the same time)

Material Used for my current setup:

$36   6 x Velcro Brand Industrial Strength Tape (2 Inches X 4 Feet) - Black

$32   1 x Sintra 4mm 80 x 45 "  (Makes 92" Screen 16:9)

$260  1 x Screen Goo Kit MAX CONTRAST

- Current setup Stats:  92" Screen 80x 45

- Benq W1080St Short Throw projector

- Sitting Center position at 55" away from the screen

I chose to paint the screen on the Sintra because it had a smoother surface as well as it allowing me to remove the screen and place it else where in the future. (Plus I don't have to purchase the paint again if I ever moved out of my place)

Here are some images of my current setup. ( I find that the Goo Systems paint is much better than the Elune Screen.)

That being said I'm still currently not 100% satisfied with my setup as I still can't use my setup during the day without blacking out the room.  (Which I don't want to do)

Gona look at Black screen options next.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6Rz2jRD7N4UUpN5PnPMNXQ

Have gotten a reply from Robert Hart.

I also saw his posts on this forum when he was developing his own black screen.

Let me know what you guys think.

post #1256 of 1277 Old 05-23-2014, 06:50 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Awesome Job. Looks like a supernova blade.
post #1257 of 1277 Old 05-26-2014, 08:10 AM

I just bought an EluneVision Luna screen 120" from Eastporters. Unfortunatly there is V waves. I asked Eastposters for an exchange, but they said that with a 120" screen, V waves are very common and I should buy a tab-tensioned screen.

Do you think that's "ok" to have those waves on brand new screen or it's a manufacturing issue ?

Here some pictures.

post #1258 of 1277 Old 05-26-2014, 05:14 PM

I have three Elunevision screens, two motorized tab tensioned (92" and 106") and a non tab tensioned 92" pull down screen. The pull down screen did not have any waves like yours but it is also much smaller. I replaced the pull down one with the motorized one for convenience (I never got the knack of putting the screen back up consistently).

I have not had to service anything yet from Eastporters (purchased two of the screens from them) but I have found that communication with them is very good. I am currently waiting for a spare bulb from them for my Mitsubishi HC5. I am sure you can work something out with them, good luck.
post #1259 of 1277 Old 05-26-2014, 05:51 PM

I also have a non tab-tensioned 92" manual pull down which do not has waves. That's why I choosed EluneVision for my new screen. 
They have a 120" tab-tensioned, but the price is twice as much. It's a bit too expensive for me, but I'm afraid that if I'm getting an exchange, that I will still have waves :(

Anyone here with a 120" or more non tab-tensioned screen and with no waves ?

post #1260 of 1277 Old 05-26-2014, 09:27 PM
Advanced Member

Without tensioning you will get some sort of waves, which will likely get worse with age. Screen material thickness affects this as well. Certainly the larger the screen the worst the problem can be. This problem is the primary reason I've gone with Dalite Hipower screens as they are thick and lay flat, but I still got waves on about four different screens.

It's the curse of the roll down. From your pic, your waves look typical to better than most. Only solution is to go fixed or tabbed or paint a wall.
Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Epson , Epson Emp Tw600 Replacement Projector Lamp Elplp35 V13h010l35
Gear in this thread - Tw600 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page