EluneVision screens - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1309 Old 11-10-2006, 06:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Six, you said ". Do it. The internet is always open." I guess you never go to BH Photo.com then. Im not on the fence as much as " I must of jumped over a fence, it ripped a hole in my pocket and all of my money fell out" I just need to get through christmas and then I can buy.

Do you know if they will send screen samples? I would really like to compare the 1.8 gray to the 2.4 white. Being higher gain I wonder if the blacks will really suffer *as* much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1309 Old 11-10-2006, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't know if they do samples. But I'm about to have a whole lot of extra 2.4 material

But to answer your question I think it depends on size. I got around to playing with the settings on my projector and the 2.4 gain is perfect. I think that at the same size the 1.8 would've killed the whites. Let me say this plainly: My blacks are just fine with the 2.4 white.

I think you should do the math to get fL and see what kind of number you get. I think if you are near 16 with the 1.8 grey you should be okay.

fL=lumens times gain then divided by the square feet of your image area

Of course the main assumptions you have to make is how many calibrated lumens your projector puts out. I am (assuming) I am getting (based on reviews) 450 lumens. So with the 2.4 white I am about 20 fL. With the grey I'd be at 15 fL. The wall was giving me around 8 fL

Then there would be the reduction in brightness for off axis viewing. Which, I am guessing is easily 15%

I then took into account that I want to use the lamp in economic mode to extend it's life and I ddi want to turn some lights on.
All that to say that while I initially thought I wanted the grey, the white made more sense to my application.

All that to bring me back to a question "What size screen are you thinking of getting and with which projector and are you going to change projectors in the near future?"

When it comes to home theater and all the attributes of this projector or that projector some people have chosen to take the blue pill.
post #183 of 1309 Old 11-10-2006, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Well, I am really torn between 2.4 white and 1.8 Gray, 120" and I use a Sanyo Z3 projector, probably won't change for 1-3 years. I use economy bulb mode and I am using behr silverscreen paint with a poly / pearl / ss topcoat.

Most viewing is done at night, but, for afternoon movies I have to cover the windows in dining room with a comforter, I have the living room windows covered now.With my Graywolf, windows in other rooms were not an issue, ofcourse I went from 1.8 gain to (what I have been told to be ) .8
post #184 of 1309 Old 11-11-2006, 11:03 PM

Anyone have any comments on just how "cleanable" the HD Cinema screens actually are? I am trying to decide between a fixed (which I would much prefer from a performance standpoint) versus pull down (due to the factor of my young children). My room that I am developing is going to be multi-purpose, with both my HT stuff and a play area for the kids, so there is some potential for the occasional sticky hand to make contact with the screen, particularly when we are not in the room.
post #185 of 1309 Old 11-13-2006, 02:47 PM

Could someone comment on the 120'' white 1.4 gain pulldown Elunevision screens?? (ie. Brightness & how does it compare to the GWII) I'm interested in buying one for my Optoma HD6800 (Will have a PT-AX100 in the future) . Could someone also comment on shipping charges relatively??? I live in Calgary Alberta.

Somewhat light controlled apartment with blinds but I tend to leave them open right now with my 92'' GWII & the picture is still very acceptable.

I wish they had some pulldowns with gray materal as this would work better in a room with more ambient light.

Thanks!
post #186 of 1309 Old 11-13-2006, 03:09 PM

Hey there. I have an IN72 to which I'm shooting the image on a 92" DIY BOC screen I made. The projector is table/shelf mounted behind my seating area ~ 13' away from my screen. I'm seated right in front of it at about 12'. Anyway, I think it's time for my to upgrade and get a more professional looking screen. I like the look of these EluneVision screens as the large velvet frame really looks nice. Anyway, I'm thinking of either getting the 1.2 white or the 1.1 gray and wanted your opinions / recommendations as to what I should get. Black levels are pretty important to me however, I don't want "dirty" whites which is what I'm afraid of if I get a gray screen. Also, what are these "sparkles" you guys speak of? I want to steer clear of any screen that might potentially produce those as I'm sure I would see them - haha. Anyway, I'm wanting to order one of these suckers pretty soon but I wanted to get all of your expert opinions beforehand.

Thanks!
post #187 of 1309 Old 11-13-2006, 04:12 PM

You won't get sparklies on those screens because they aren't glass beaded.

However! If you were to get glass beaded screen you'd almost be assured of sparlies and hotspotting.

I think you'll really like the look of the screen but I'm not too sure tat it will improve your picture all too much over the BOC. Also, the general consensus (I believe) is that Matte White is better than grey, with DLP, in most situations.

When it comes to home theater and all the attributes of this projector or that projector some people have chosen to take the blue pill.
post #188 of 1309 Old 11-13-2006, 10:00 PM

The HD Vivid Pro Cinema White /Grey ARE glass beads impregnated, as stated in the specs.and there for are not to be cleaned.

http://www.eastporters.com/PDF/Elara...g_material.pdf

Blue-Ray Disc 276
post #189 of 1309 Old 11-14-2006, 07:53 AM

Quote:

I think you'll really like the look of the screen but I'm not too sure tat it will improve your picture all too much over the BOC. Also, the general consensus (I believe) is that Matte White is better than grey, with DLP, in most situations.

Thanks for the info. I didn't figure it would improve much however, I just wanted something that looking more professional and had the thick velvet borders without having to spend a ton of $$$. I guess I'll just go with the matte white.
post #190 of 1309 Old 11-14-2006, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by octogon View Post

The HD Vivid Pro Cinema White /Grey ARE glass beads impregnated, as stated in the specs.and there for are not to be cleaned.

Yes, I will likely try to steer clear of the Pro Cinema variety for that reason. I will need to control my ambient light to go with the lower gain screens, but I am thinking it will be worthwhile to do so in the long run (and relatively easy in my case with a basement set-up, with 2 smallish windows, north and west facing at the end of a fairly long room) . For the 1.1 and 1.2 gain HD Cinema screens, it states that "the surface can be cleaned", so again, my question is just how well do they clean up. Anyone have any experience with this?
post #191 of 1309 Old 11-14-2006, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaffendorf View Post

Could someone comment on the 120'' white 1.4 gain pulldown Elunevision screens?? (ie. Brightness & how does it compare to the GWII) I'm interested in buying one for my Optoma HD6800 (Will have a PT-AX100 in the future) . Could someone also comment on shipping charges relatively??? I live in Calgary Alberta.

Somewhat light controlled apartment with blinds but I tend to leave them open right now with my 92'' GWII & the picture is still very acceptable.

I wish they had some pulldowns with gray materal as this would work better in a room with more ambient light.

Thanks!

BUMP! Any responses are appreciated.

-Thanks
post #192 of 1309 Old 11-14-2006, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by octogon View Post

http://www.eastporters.com/PDF/Elara...g_material.pdf

so what happens when they get dusty. I just bought this one and now I'm worried
post #193 of 1309 Old 11-14-2006, 08:09 PM

"Dusty" isn't technically "dirty" . I think you can take a lint roller to it.

post #194 of 1309 Old 11-14-2006, 09:42 PM

I have a Optoma HD72. Anyone have this projector with A 120" screen. I am thinking of buying the 120" 1.8 gray fixed frame. Seating position will be about 15 feet back. Will this be a good combination?

Thanks
post #195 of 1309 Old 11-15-2006, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawB8figure View Post

I have a Optoma HD72. Anyone have this projector with A 120" screen. I am thinking of buying the 120" 1.8 gray fixed frame. Seating position will be about 15 feet back. Will this be a good combination?

Thanks

I bought a 120'' white pulldown from eastporters to pair with my HD6800. I'm expecting it for the end of the week. Anyone else bought the 120'' manual pulldown from eastporters??
post #196 of 1309 Old 11-15-2006, 08:54 AM
cgl

Quote:

BUMP! Any responses are appreciated.

-Thanks

I just got the 106" 1.4 gain White Manual Pulldown. I am using a Panasonic ae900. They charged me $50 shipping (but I live in Ontario). Brightness is Good. I have a light controlled room and my projector is 16" from the screen and 6 off the ground on a shelf. I can't compare it directly to the GWII since I don't have one (though I know someone who has and who has the same projector as I do). I didn't like the GWII. If they were the same price I would still buy the one I have (I dislike the sparklies in the GW). The 106 I bought (they have it on sale for $84.99 + $50 for shipping) was cheap enough that I felt it wasn't much of a risk. I am happy with it.
post #197 of 1309 Old 11-15-2006, 08:59 AM
cgl

Quote:

Thanks!

I emailed eastporters and they told me they have the grey pulldowns, they just haven't had a chance to put them on the site yet. If you really want grey I say try contacting them.
post #198 of 1309 Old 11-15-2006, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgl View Post

I emailed eastporters and they told me they have the grey pulldowns, they just haven't had a chance to put them on the site yet. If you really want grey I say try contacting them.

Thanks cgl! I'm having a tough time deciding if I want to change my order now.... and get the 1.8 grey instead of the 1.4 white. I don't mind the sparklies on my GWII now but it would still be nice to have a nice natural looking screen with true bright colors. The only reason i'm considering the grey is because I live in an apartment and my light control involves closing the shades on the windows.
post #199 of 1309 Old 11-15-2006, 06:39 PM

I bought the 106" grey, manual pull down screen about 1-2 weeks ago. They told me it just came in the day I was enquiring, so I decided to give it a whirl.

Eastporters told me that it was from the same factory, and was the same model as the GWII. So far, my projector has not been hung from the ceiling, which is where it will live, so my experience has not been as refelective (no pun intended), as it will be once I have it set up correctly.

My comments so far, based on using my PT-AX100 sitting oin a raised platform, about 48" from the floor....pretty good. Unfortunately, I have noting to compare it to, and am not 100% sure about the performance. The image seems to be quite nice on the blacks, but when white scenes come up, the sparkly glass beads make me a little crazy.

I am also having a difficult time with the retracting system....I have to pull and retract up to 10 times to get it to fully retract into the case. I can;t see this being normal....it's a real pain in the you know what.

I was told by Eastpoters that it was not a retro-reflective screen, and that my ceiling mounted projector was not going to suffer any performance issues....I'm second guessing that advice, as everything I have read about the GWII screens, suggest the opposite.

I purchased this screen based on reviews on the net, as well as the prpmise of increased blacks, and better performance in a less than 100% light controlled room.....I'm starting to wonder if I made the wrong choice? They advertise a 30 day money back gurantee (including shipping), and I'm starting to feel I may have to excercise that service.

So far, my dealings with the have been preety decent, and I have no inclination that they will give me any problems. I really wish they had a high gain white manual pull down, or even a light grey, non beaded screen.

CHIA
post #200 of 1309 Old 11-15-2006, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIA View Post

I bought the 106" grey, manual pull down screen about 1-2 weeks ago. They told me it just came in the day I was enquiring, so I decided to give it a whirl.

Eastporters told me that it was from the same factory, and was the same model as the GWII. So far, my projector has not been hung from the ceiling, which is where it will live, so my experience has not been as refelective (no pun intended), as it will be once I have it set up correctly.

My comments so far, based on using my PT-AX100 sitting oin a raised platform, about 48" from the floor....pretty good. Unfortunately, I have noting to compare it to, and am not 100% sure about the performance. The image seems to be quite nice on the blacks, but when white scenes come up, the sparkly glass beads make me a little crazy.

I am also having a difficult time with the retracting system....I have to pull and retract up to 10 times to get it to fully retract into the case. I can;t see this being normal....it's a real pain in the you know what.

I was told by Eastpoters that it was not a retro-reflective screen, and that my ceiling mounted projector was not going to suffer any performance issues....I'm second guessing that advice, as everything I have read about the GWII screens, suggest the opposite.

I purchased this screen based on reviews on the net, as well as the prpmise of increased blacks, and better performance in a less than 100% light controlled room.....I'm starting to wonder if I made the wrong choice? They advertise a 30 day money back gurantee (including shipping), and I'm starting to feel I may have to excercise that service.

So far, my dealings with the have been preety decent, and I have no inclination that they will give me any problems. I really wish they had a high gain white manual pull down, or even a light grey, non beaded screen.

CHIA

Chia,

Thanks for the report. I am in the same boat as you with myAX100 coming soon and looking for what I thought should be a grey screen. I too spoke with the Eastporters guys and they tried to downplay my concerns about retroreflectivity (I'll be going ceiling mount). I think your reports on the glass beading and the related effect along with the retracting issues is enough to have me continue my search. I'm looking for pull down due to WAF. In the interim I am building my own blackout cloth screen which has a light grey finish to it so that I can beta test the theory on grey vs. white screen. Otherwise I'm following the 25+ screen testing thread to see what the recommended choices turn out to be. After 2 yrs of research on the pj it seems that I'm back where I started in that making a choice of screen is just as confusing. I say test the 30 day money back guarantee.
post #201 of 1309 Old 11-16-2006, 08:29 AM

ok got the screen and it looks amazing. The instructions are the worst instructions I've ever seen. The wall mounts are the most confusing thing I've ever dealt with in my life. I just couldnt understand them so I left them out. Luckily my step father is good with construction and is making different mounts.

If anyone knows how to set these mounts up with pics that would be great. Although it's too late to put them on now I'd just like to see it
post #202 of 1309 Old 11-16-2006, 02:40 PM

I will be getting my 120'' white Elunevision Pulldown from eastporters either friday or monday & I will post my thoughts.

Thanks
post #203 of 1309 Old 11-16-2006, 05:40 PM

Quote:

I will be getting my 120'' white Elunevision Pulldown from eastporters either friday or monday & I will post my thoughts.

Thanks

Thanks....please let us know the projector model, and your mounting config too.
post #204 of 1309 Old 11-16-2006, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SollyD View Post

If anyone knows how to set these mounts up with pics that would be great. Although it's too late to put them on now I'd just like to see it

I second SollyD's request, Mount and assembly pics would be great. I'm contemplating a purchase and would like to see a little more detail.
post #205 of 1309 Old 11-16-2006, 09:01 PM

You have to imagine that the wall mount plates are nothing more than to hang onto.

You screw your "whatever" (i used the wood screw that came in the packaging) into the wall and hang the screen up that way.

If you don't have a stud to go into, get better drywall anchors. the ones in the packaging are utter crap-ola.

post #206 of 1309 Old 11-16-2006, 09:10 PM

I know you can't set stopping intervals but can you stop the screen travel wherever you want? I think I read somewhere in this post that you couldn't. It states that the electric screens come with 20" of blacked out screen on top and I just wanted to make sure that you could adjust the screen height to align with a ceiling mounted projector. Both remotes clearly show a stop button but I'm asking anyway. Also, anyone noticing the edges curling up yet on any ceiling mounted screens (manual or electric) or any waves or creases? I'm just wondering if these screens are 3-ply fiberglass or not. I'd like to get an electric tensioned screen but they cost more than the Z5 I'm looking at. Finally, what are folks paying for shipping to the US? I live in Chicago, IL. Thanks and keep the reviews coming.
post #207 of 1309 Old 11-17-2006, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixKindsOfWonder View Post

You have to imagine that the wall mount plates are nothing more than to hang onto.

You screw your "whatever" (i used the wood screw that came in the packaging) into the wall and hang the screen up that way.

If you don't have a stud to go into, get better drywall anchors. the ones in the packaging are utter crap-ola.

yeah we used anchors, drilled right through the corners of the screen and mounted it with drywall screws and anchors. The silver screw is visible but I am gonna put a dot on black fabric over it. Cant even notice and this thing doesnt move, way better to mount it this way because it's perfectly flat and flush with the wall.

I'm so thankful my step dad is in construction or I'd be screwed lol
post #208 of 1309 Old 11-17-2006, 12:04 PM

I'm thinking of getting the 2.4 Gain 106" for use with a Z2, and also considering a 92" for an X1. Quick question (I haven't checked the website for this) How must do they weight (more importantly the 106")?

Enough with the PMs about the name...

Getting
Everything
Never
Implies
U are
Satisfied
post #209 of 1309 Old 11-17-2006, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genius74 View Post

I'm thinking of getting the 2.4 Gain 106" for use with a Z2, and also considering a 92" for an X1. Quick question (I haven't checked the website for this) How must do they weight (more importantly the 106")?

fixed frame or pull down

I'd say the fixed fram is like 40 lbs maybe less actually. Between 30-40 maybe
post #210 of 1309 Old 11-17-2006, 10:55 PM

Packing List has my fixed frame 106" at 33lbs.. Shipping to USA was $50 (asked in previous post).

I have a Z3 with the 2.4 gain white 106" Fixed frame....PM me if you have any questions.
Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Epson , Epson Emp Tw600 Replacement Projector Lamp Elplp35 V13h010l35
Gear in this thread - Tw600 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page