Cleaning a Da-Lite - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 52 Old 09-24-2010, 07:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Unbelievably the folks at Da-lite decided that putting typical Gaffers tape on to hold the screen in place on the spindle is good enough for a long term solution. As one would imagine, the tape degrades over time since it's not intended for that use (especially in our space where it gets really hot up near the ceiling)... then it starts to slip and ooze the sticky residue onto the screen which works its way all around as it's rolled up and down over a 6 month period.

Of course, this happens more than 1 year into the life of the screen, so we are all SOL.

Did someone say Class Action?

Just open up your screen and unroll it completely and you'll find out the madness. We're using a 1.5 year old Cosmopolitan Electrol 12' screen (not tension)

If anyone gets any replacements it'd be great to know about! I'm definitely calling Da-lite Monday to complain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 52 Old 10-19-2010, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanbluetree View Post

Unbelievably the folks at Da-lite decided that putting typical Gaffers tape on to hold the screen in place on the spindle is good enough for a long term solution. As one would imagine, the tape degrades over time since it's not intended for that use (especially in our space where it gets really hot up near the ceiling)... then it starts to slip and ooze the sticky residue onto the screen which works its way all around as it's rolled up and down over a 6 month period.

Of course, this happens more than 1 year into the life of the screen, so we are all SOL.

Did someone say Class Action?

Just open up your screen and unroll it completely and you'll find out the madness. We're using a 1.5 year old Cosmopolitan Electrol 12' screen (not tension)

If anyone gets any replacements it'd be great to know about! I'm definitely calling Da-lite Monday to complain

I currently have a Da-lite high power screen that is about 2 years old. It is a model C with CSR. During cleaning, a small 1 inch damage was done since the coating came off. Of course, there is no easy repair according to Da-lite. Now I am about to pull the trigger on a Da-lite Cosmopolitan electrol high power. The screen will be in the family room where temperature and humidity is well controlled. Is this sticky thing still an issue that I need to be worried about?
Is this a problem specfic to the electric screens? The previous screen was down most of the time so maybe that is the reason why I don't see the stickiness issue on the existing screen. The new electrol will be rolled up and down every day (probably only once a day). Is it robust enough to last for years?
Thanks.
post #33 of 52 Old 06-25-2011, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone have an update on this issue? The problem keeps coming back and I'm not going to spend an hour cleaning my screen every time I want to watch something. I have a Cosmo Electrol (tensioned). Did anyone replace the screen and keep the rest of their unit? Can that be done?
post #34 of 52 Old 06-25-2011, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

I too have this problem on a 119" electric Tensioned Cosmopolitan Electrol 1.3 gain (Cinema Vision) screen. This problem eventually affects the image quality to a point that I can no longer live with. It is really sad that Da-Lite is not

1.) Fixing the problem - once and for all.

2.) Treating their customers better.

I think the following would be a fair resolution:

Since I have enjoyed the screen for a number of years - I am not expecting a free replacement. After all - I have gotten some value out of owning it. However, for Da-Lite to profit from their poor quality, at a loyal customer's expense, is not acceptable.

I would however agree to pay their cost of the replacement material on a roll. This would seem to be fair. After all - I still have to cover the cost of removing the screen from the ceiling, replacing the roll, re-hanging the screen and adjusting the screen. Da-Lite would not be loosing any money on the deal and they would be keeping a loyal customer who has owned a half dozen or more Da-Lite screens over the years.

Asking a loyal customer to pay profit to Da-Lite and the dealer mark up on a quality issue is just unacceptable.

A Da-Lite representative can feel free to PM me to set up the arrangements. Otherwise - I will be going to a different company for all of my future screen purchases.

Da-Lite - Do the right thing..

Ed Suski
post #35 of 52 Old 06-25-2011, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I'm strongly considering get the Cosmopolitan Electrol Tension as well. How often does this issue (the sticky film) occur?

Life is good.
post #36 of 52 Old 06-26-2011, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan1000 View Post

I'm strongly considering get the Cosmopolitan Electrol Tension as well. How often does this issue (the sticky film) occur?

Jhan1000,

I can't recommend Da-Lite unless they step up and "do the right thing" with regard to what appears to be a serious quality issue. I'm still waiting to hear from a Da-Lite representative......

Ed
post #37 of 52 Old 07-28-2011, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Alright, so what's everyone doing? I'm tired of the goop on my screen, but I really don't want to have to go through the hassle and expense of replacing the whole thing.

Has anyone swapped out just the screen material?

Edit: I bought my screen through AVS, has anyone had any luck getting them to advocate for us?
post #38 of 52 Old 07-28-2011, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 112
I have cleaned my HP 2.8 with denatured alcohol and 2 micro fiber rags. One I wet with alcohol and the other I dry with after I wipe and area evenly. Set your projector to display a blank white image while you clean, it helps you see where you have and have not wiped, If it is an hp you will still see some darkness until it is completely dry. I do not use water because it lease residue and makes the screen dark. If you do not have an HP, it would be helpful if you tell use what fabric you have so others can give advice. If you want to test for yourself, order some samples of your screen fabric from Dalite to test cleaners on it.

Doug

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #39 of 52 Old 07-28-2011, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

My issue is that I can clean it, but I don't plan on cleaning my screen every time I roll it up and down. The residue is all over the back of the screen, so every time it gets rolled up, it happens again. So cleaning procedures are great, but it doesn't solve the problem.
post #40 of 52 Old 07-31-2011, 03:33 PM

Same problem -- Cosmopolitan, sticky front and rear.

Response from Da-Lite:

Good afternoon! Thank you for your email. It sounds like the plasticizers in the vinyl material may be migrating. This can happen sometimes with vinyl products, and it ends up making them look oily or become sticky. This can be triggered by changes in humidity or temperature, or if the material is rolled up on itself for long periods of time and not allowed to "breathe" periodically. I would recommend cleaning the surface with denatured alcohol, which you can usually find the the paint section of most hardware stores, and a bunch of clean, soft, cotton (prefereably white) cloths. I would apply a generous amount of denatured alcohol to the cloth and wipe the screen in horizontal strokes, making sure to clean both sides. Rolling the screen down every couple of weeks and letting it breathe should keep it from happening again.

So....I did. Used some two dozen new rags, CRITICAL to avoid simply moving the contaminant from one spot to another. Cleaned small (2 sq ft) section at a time, turning and rewetting rag every few strokes. Overlapped each section, horizontal strokes.

IMPORTANT: don't judge the result right away. Wait 24 hours. Most streaks disappeared as alcohol evaporated overnight. Recleaned a couple of remaining streaks next day (with new rags).

Did back with same general method -- more difficult because it required someone to hold screen away from wall.

Screen now appears about as good as new. Surprising how much light was being absorbed by the surface contaminant. Dramatic improvement.

Hope this helps.
post #41 of 52 Old 08-02-2011, 10:55 AM

/edit/ please post back to if the stickyness comes back after the alcohol treatment

-

I also have a 106" Dalite Cosmopolitan electrol tensioned with cinemavision.
It started becomeing sticky a coupple of years ago and it is getting worse and worse.

I can get it off with hot water, it takes a few times over before its all gone, but its back in a week or 2. In the beginning the cloth only turned gently yellow when wiping but nowdays its *orange* really disgusting.

I have cleaned it with redspirits aswell and it works but hot water does the same.

If this weren´t enough I have small black spots on the screen because Dalite had problems with their roof at the time they made my screen (yay) I did get a new and much more costly scaler from the dealer to make up for it, and I took the deal becasue I didnt want to change out the screen (too much of a hassle).

If this weren´t enough, the screen isn´t flat in the lower corners either no matter how I screw the tension screws.

I mailed all this to Dalite 2-3 years ago and the answer was that I could get a new roll for 50% of the cost of a new one, but that was still about $1600 I had to shell out so I didn´t do it.

Now Im getting really annoyed by this, yes the screen is still stickier then ever.

I was looking at this cheap "Dreamscreen V2 Dynagrey" its a manuel screen and its only $340 wich is the cheapest I can find where I live. Im looking at grey because I have white walls and ceiling, I painted 60cm black in the roof infront of the screen but the room is still mostly white.

Im thinking that even if its a cheap screen it might look even better then the dalite because the Dalite is over 10 years old so something should have happened in this time with the quality of screens. And also since I now have a JVC 350 and not the Barco 808 the grey should help the picture instead of the 1.3 I now have.

I honestly havent been looking at screens at all since I got this so I dont know if im right or not, but at least it wont be sticky

Someone furter up said sometyhing about tape inside the roll wich is the source of the stickyness. I doubt it since it seems to come out of the vinyl from the entire back, but has someone looked into this? It might be doable to remove it and reattatch the screen?

Another thing I thought about, what about putting the cheap screenmaterial in the Dalite cassette? That way I still have an electric screen. Hey maybe I could get another better brand and just get the material and switch with the sticky one and that way I could get an even better screen for the money (since just the material should be cheaper then the whole thing)

I dunno...something has to be done. I was considering givng it away for free to the first one coming to pick it up, but maybe one could use the case and motor?

I'm detective John Kimball!!
I'm a cop you idiot!!
Now, I'm going to ask you a bunch of questions... and I want them answered immediately.
-What's your question Sir?
-Who is your daddy, and what does he do?
post #42 of 52 Old 08-11-2011, 02:51 AM

So I changed the material in the screen.

Somebode higher up said something about the stickyness coming from teip they used to fasten the screen. Well, when I unrolled the screen as far as possible it almost came off by itself, with a little help it slided off very easy with this loud sticky noise. Yes the screen was taped into place and the teip was sticky like nothing you have ever seen.

After getting the roll out of the casette the teip came off easy but the glue from the teip was still on the roll and omg it was like a mm thick. It took me several hours to clean it, I had to scrape it off with a knife and then wash it with alcohol many many times. I wish I had taken a photo of the sticky glue-ball i collected

I still dont know if the glue can really make the entire screen sticky, yes it felt exactly like the stickyness on the screen, but if the teip is the source, then wouldnt the screen be uneven sticky, with the most of it being on top and then gradually less? Mine wasnt, it was evenly sticky. And also the very last end of the screen doesnt roll up against the roll so it shouldnt be any stickyness on the very last bit of screen, but there were, so I suspect its not the teip after all.

If someone is thinking about throwing his screen away only because of this and the screen is fine in other regards then it could be worth a day to get it off, clean it, clean the roll and then reattatch and see if it works.

I'm detective John Kimball!!
I'm a cop you idiot!!
Now, I'm going to ask you a bunch of questions... and I want them answered immediately.
-What's your question Sir?
-Who is your daddy, and what does he do?
post #43 of 52 Old 08-01-2013, 06:33 AM

HI to all,
I badly need to resurrect this thread. My screen has developed this same stickiness issue and would like to know after all this years if someone found a definitive solution -not changing the hole screen of course-.
I'll really apreciate your comments about this issue. Thanks
post #44 of 52 Old 08-03-2013, 12:06 AM

all of you solve the issues with the screen? .... no comments?
post #45 of 52 Old 08-06-2013, 07:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Is this problem mostly on people who have motorized screens? I have a fixed 85" Cinema Vision screen on a countour tensioned frame and it seems to not get that dirty?. Ive swiffered it a few times thats about it
post #46 of 52 Old 08-18-2013, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Funny you brought this thread back from the crypt.

I too have discovered a film on my Da Lite 1.0 matt tensioned screen. Bought around 2008 and so far goes up and down good but that film.

Now what to do, leave it hang a couple of days to see if that helps?

Get out the mild soap (whatever that is or means) and water (hot-hot or just warm, perhaps really hot, no cold)

Maybe eek.gifmad.gif
post #47 of 52 Old 08-19-2013, 01:12 PM

Re my experience following Da-Lite instructions (see previous post)

As noted, very positive result -- in the short/medium time frame.

However, film/sticky/sheen began returning after about a year or so. I left the screen extended so it's not an interaction, contrary to the remarks by Da-Lite.

It would certainly appear to be an inherent problem with the material they (were?) using.

It's now bad enough that I plan to rewash using denatured alcohol -- but I've been planning to do that for the past two years. If I actually follow through, I'll post with results.
post #48 of 52 Old 08-22-2013, 06:50 PM

Yeah mine's all gooey again. Just did another alcohol wipe down, it's been a year since the last one. The stuff is like fly paper! I can stick a paper towel to it. Mine is a:
Name: Da-Lite Tensioned Cosmopolitan 54" x 96"
Manufacturer: Da-Lite
Part Number: 94204
Item Number: DA-94204
Select Material: High Contrast Cinema Vision

I think that translates to 110"? A 110" fly trap... Even after cleaning it there are what appear to be like dry-wall texture all over the screen. Flat but the same shape. My problem is that I had a custom cabinet built to house all of my equipment at the end of the room. The screen fits up in a soffit on top. That soffit was built just big enough to house the Cosmo frame. So far nearly every other manufacturer has a larger frame. Yea! I'm stuck with either this screen or a replacement from Da-Lite. I wonder if the new "HD Progressive JKP" screens would be any better. Probably not if the problem is the tape they affix it with.

Not good,
Tim
post #49 of 52 Old 08-23-2013, 09:48 AM

As noted in my post a couple of days ago, my denatured alcohol wash down suggested by Da Lite seemed to work well. But, alas, the stickeyness returned -- gradually. After two years, it was as bad as it has been.

Tried the washdown again yesterday, and the results are really quite good. Frankly, the screen looks about as good as new. I used even more denatured alcohol this time -- I'd say a bit more than a quart, and microfiber rags (new). What seems to work is to really, really wet the rags, take a few horizonal swipes, turn and/or refold the rag, and repeat. If you fold the rag in fourths, you get eight runs at it before you need a new rag. If you don't change rags often, you just smear and spread the contaminent. It's surprising how much friction there is i.e. how hard it is to swipe the rag on the first stroke; but the rag glides easily over the cleaned surface.

For the back, I was a little less concerned with process -- but still used lots of fluid. With proper lighting, pretty easy to see when you've got the back cleaned.

Don't expect this to last much beyond a year -- but now that I know the process, I don't dread redoing it. Total process took under an hour.

PS: I used low tack masking tape on the edge of the screen to mark it off into a rough 3 x 3 section grid, to help make sure there were no gaps.

Hope this helps someone.
post #50 of 52 Old 11-24-2013, 10:55 AM

I too have the same problem with the same screen. Mine sticks too itself and then rolls against itself and jams up inside the housing in the ceiling.i have to pry the bar up and out using two screwdrivers because this is much easier then taking the housing door off. Almost every time I turn the projector this happens. I would agree that Simple Green straight seems a bit too strong of a solution to put on something such as a projector screen. This morning before the football games came on I fixed the screen so it came down the way its supposed to and decided to clean it using some really warm water and regular dish detergent. I cleaned half of the screen and emptied the bowl and put more clean water and soap in it and cleaned the other half. The "sticky" substance on the screen took a little bit to dissolve with the soap and water but it did come off without too much effort. So far so good with the screen. The other thing i was thinking on doing was to use a solution of white vinegar and water, but the only thing I was skeptical about was the acidity in the vinegar and what it might do to the screen. I suppose only time will tell as to how long the screen will remain not sticky.... Good luck people with this taxing problem.

post #51 of 52 Old 01-15-2014, 08:04 AM

I found this topic after encountering this issue on my Da-Lite Contour Electrol tensioned 87" x 116" screen which I bought in January 2008. It first started sticking/hanging a couple months ago. It quickly has worsened to the point I thought something had malfunctioned mechanically with the mechanism. It is super tacky to the touch and is more noticeable on the smooth back than it is on the front.

I never have a reason to touch the screen otherwise so I don't know quickly this developed. I've just wiped it down with denatured alcohol (I had about half a quart) front/back and now have streaks everywhere. There is still a lot of tackiness, but seems like less..

My screen stays up most all the time. I only lower it a few times every month. Maybe this is more of an issue for rarely used screens. Hopefully mine isn't so streaky after I've let it air out some.
post #52 of 52 Old 02-16-2014, 04:11 AM

Cleaning tip: The streaks left by two rounds of cleaning were bad but have almost completely disappeared after leaving the screen up for the last month. I don't see them during a movie now. That adhesive substance is apparently fluid enough to even out the streaks with time, although the screen has remained tack-free and isn't sticking while unrolling. Hopefully this only needs to be done every few years and if so I'd say the screen is still worth it.
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page