Commercial Screen Paints - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 10-08-2006, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I have tried unsuccessfully to initiate a thread in the DIY Screen forum to deal with the commercial screen paints available from various suppliers. IMHO they fall more in the DIY arena due to the significant amount of effort compared to just assembling a fixed screen or hanging a retractible screen, but I seem to be out numbered.

Here are links to the products I am familiar with (in no particular order):
Rosebrand
GOO Systems
Black Flame
DIY Theater
LiquiScreen
There may be others so if anyone knows of them, send me a pm and I will add them.

Since these are painted screens I thought I would include a link to the Painted DIY Screen Beginner's Guide thread where there is a lot of helpful information regarding screen paint application.

This is not a thread I will be watching closely so if there is some pertinent info that should be included in the first post please pm me with it so I can include it.

If this thread is redundant then just let it fade away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-08-2006, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Been all over. Currently living in upperstate NY in the Capital District area.
Liked: 10
Digital Theater Paints and ProjectX are a couple more.

"Make everything as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Albert Einstein
post #3 of 13 Old 10-08-2006, 06:08 PM

goo systems had a review in Digital & TV Sound magazine (Fall 2006) issue. the review was very favorable and the price seems worthwhile at about $200
post #4 of 13 Old 10-08-2006, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Been all over. Currently living in upperstate NY in the Capital District area.
I know Tryg did a screen shootoff and he tested Liquiscreen and has a writeup on it.

post #5 of 13 Old 10-12-2006, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Is there no interest in the commercial screen paints here?

It's tough because it kinda falls between a commercial screen and a DIY Screen.

I think these screen paints deserve our consideration but I guess no one is interested in taking the ball and running with it.

If there are any commercial manufacturers of screen paints lurking here, I tried to present you with an opportunity to introduce yourselves and offer an opportunity for potential customers to converse with you. As a potential customer I would certainly be more inclined to deal with a supplier who is interested enough to make themselves available here.
post #6 of 13 Old 11-01-2006, 01:21 PM

BUMP! I'm actually VERY interested in going this route. I just bought a house and will be setting up a home theater in the basement. Since I am now on a budget and I like running my projected image bigger than what is the norm (thanks to my bright DT-400), I will almost definitely be projecting onto a painted wall. I'd be curious to read some reviews.
post #7 of 13 Old 11-18-2006, 12:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbesper
BUMP! I'm actually VERY interested in going this route. I just bought a house and will be setting up a home theater in the basement. Since I am now on a budget and I like running my projected image bigger than what is the norm (thanks to my bright DT-400), I will almost definitely be projecting onto a painted wall. I'd be curious to read some reviews.
You may be very interested in this then... it is a product called Gray Screen and is $40 for a gallon (only a quart is needed). It is listed on color swatches along with house paints, but the spectrophotometer data on it indicates this isn't a typical gray.

It is very neutral in color (a munsell N8 color value), which is a desirable trait in a screen. It is also very slightly red deficient which aids in better contrast and clarity when watching in incandescent lighting conditions. I would not call it an ambient light screen solely because it is gray, but it is definitely ambient friendly. Last, it comes in a matte finish which is unusual. House paints normally come in flat, eggshell, satin, or gloss. Matte is between a flat finish and an eggshell finish, and is what most commercial unity gain screens are. It is also formulated to be scrub-able to a certain extent.

I am actually talking to the company right now... a neutral gray, slightly red deficient, matte finish, and named 'Gray Screen' all seem too coincidental to just be an accident. I think this was engineered as a screen paint, it's just not marketed as that... not yet at least...

I have a test screen of this up right now for evaluation and it performs extremely well. There is a thread on it in the sub forum about neutral grays, but I don't think I will be posting much in there anymore. When the company gets back to me and if they confirm it was created as a screen paint, I will add it to the list here as well, and provide more details on it in this forum.

I have preliminary screen shots and will be taking a wide variety more, including daytime images. It is not magic like some commercial screen paints would like you to believe, but I would rate it right up there with the paints listed in this thread.

Here are some very crude screen shots, I didn't have a tripod set up for these shots and the camera was not setup for an optimal picture (auto mode setting, lack of tripod is where the blur is from). The screen actually looks better in person. I will have better screen shoots soon.

Night shot straight on.
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...icture028a.jpg

Same scene, approximately 40 degree angle, 22 feet away in the adjacent living room.
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...icture032a.jpg

This shot is from a $4.88 bargain bin DVD (low quality DVD in my opinion) but the reflections in the brass plaque are stunning in person. (Movie is Chances Are)
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...icture022a.jpg

Same movie but sitting on my stairs from the hallway outside the room. There is a room lamp on in the room but the camera didn't pick the room lighting up that well.
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...icture018a.jpg

...and one last shot... This is around 2:30 in the afternoon right after I set it up so it is still wet and not what anyone would consider good conditions. (Daytime and a wet screen paint that hasn't had time to cure).
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...Picture160.jpg

The above picture doesn't show this, but to the left of the screen is a huge bay window (almost 7' across and the windows are over 6' high). To the right you can see another window and it is easy to see the amount of sunlight in this room at this time of day.

None of these pictures were altered in anyway, not even to resize them, so they are raw screen shots.

I am not trying to promote DIY in this forum, I have reason to believe this may have actually been design as a screen paint, and as I stated above I am in the process of confirming that with the company. If they state this was not specifically designed as a screen paint, I will not post any more in here on it, and will most likely delete this post.

I plan on a comprehensive shoot off between all the commercial screen paints listed here, but that will not happen until after the holidays. There is a cost factor in buying them and I would rather buy Christmas presents than screen paints to do a report on, I think that is understandable. Now that there are seven legitamate commercial screen paint companies, and two companies selling screen paints on eBay as 'commercial products', as well as the possibility the one I mentioned may be designed as a screen paint... well it's time they all had a test/shoot off done and some reporting on them.

Screen paints like Goo are not everyone's cup of tea, but there are quite a few people interested in them and not the speculative nature of some DIY methods. (although some are quite good)

post #8 of 13 Old 11-19-2006, 10:23 PM

Truely appreciate this thread will be watching it with a keen interest. I've been entertaining the thought of going with the goo and making my screen out of a piece of sheetrock. I'd put it directly on my wall....however my drywall expertise has left a wave here and there and using a piece of sheetrock would guarantee a flat surface.

Not sure what screen size I'll need to make yet. I just go my walls painted this week. The carpet is next and then I'll be purchasing an AX100. I figure when I get the PJ and mount it. I'll see what screen size I can do and go from there.

Look forward to seeing your expierment updated.
post #9 of 13 Old 11-21-2006, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Where can you buy this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbassett
You may be very interested in this then... it is a product called Gray Screen and is $40 for a gallon (only a quart is needed). It is listed on color swatches along with house paints, but the spectrophotometer data on it indicates this isn't a typical gray.
post #10 of 13 Old 11-22-2006, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeorwell
Where can you buy this?

I would like to know this as well. I know your still testing but just for future information it would be nice to know :)
post #11 of 13 Old 11-22-2006, 10:17 PM

We have used Goo Systems paint in a Sports Bar in Iowa, I give it a 5 out of 5 for ease of install and rate it comparably to a screen that cost around 1k on average. Very good product.
post #12 of 13 Old 11-23-2006, 04:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeorwell
Where can you buy this?
Sherwin Willaims carries it.
post #13 of 13 Old 11-28-2006, 02:56 PM

I would be very intrested if people would post screenshots of their comercial painted screens using any of the brands mentioned above. I am about to recieve my first PJ a Panasonic AX100 and have ordered the Screen goo digital gray lite and will post shots when i get it done also I will post some shots of the picture before and after for comparison.

Best regards

John Clark
Closed Thread Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page