Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 85 Old 12-11-2012, 04:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by roblutts View Post

Got the quote from an independent installer that wired my room. He's done wiring for me previously and if very reasonable and great work. If your in Dallas area I can give you his info

I'm in the Dallas area (Frisco) and would love his name and number. Thanks. PM me and i'll PM you as well to ensure you see this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 85 Old 03-20-2013, 05:42 AM

Hey Folks, I am looking at a new projection system and got a quote for a Dragonfly Motorized, Matte White for $990 plus tax, picked up locally.

Is this a competitive price?
post #63 of 85 Old 03-20-2013, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Tyrrell View Post

Hey Folks, I am looking at a new projection system and got a quote for a Dragonfly Motorized, Matte White for $990 plus tax, picked up locally.

Is this a competitive price?
'

Size? Regular or tab tension?

If it's a regular screen, IMHO you could do better but if it's a tab tension then you are getting a good deal.
post #64 of 85 Old 03-20-2013, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Just wondering how much these things actually list for. I have a price of $1200 for a 100" fixed screen.
I am thinking this is way out of line. Can anybody message me with some price parameters.
I tried calling Snap, but they won't give the consumer any info on pricing.
I am thinking that I may skip the Dragonfly and go with another screen-just looking for a fair price from installer.
If anyone from Snap is monitoring, I would appreciate some info, otherwise I will look elsewhere.
post #65 of 85 Old 03-20-2013, 08:24 PM

Liked: 53
100" fixed MSRP $1299.
100" electric non tensioned MSRP $1299
100" electric tensioned MSRP $2399
post #66 of 85 Old 03-21-2013, 05:04 PM

Duplicate....
post #67 of 85 Old 03-21-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdolen View Post

'

Size? Regular or tab tension?

If it's a regular screen, IMHO you could do better but if it's a tab tension then you are getting a good deal.

Sorry. I intended to put the model number in my posting. It is the 100" diagonal non-tensioned. Model#: DFM-NTT-100-MW.

Thank you.
post #68 of 85 Old 03-25-2013, 07:42 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmunster2 View Post

Just wondering how much these things actually list for. I have a price of $1200 for a 100" fixed screen.
I am thinking this is way out of line. Can anybody message me with some price parameters.
I am thinking that I may skip the Dragonfly and go with another screen-just looking for a fair price from installer.
If anyone from Snap is monitoring, I would appreciate some info, otherwise I will look elsewhere.

I can't tell if it is out of line or not, but I would recommend you look at Seymour Screen AV. I have been looking at a few different screens and was recommended a Dragonfly by one store and a Da-Lite by another. The screens looked good and the two B&M stores were pretty much offering the same price for each. I decided to do some researching on my own. Found out their was a screen manufacturer in my home town right here in Iowa SeymourAv.com

I called Chris (he is the owner and posts on avsforums under the name chriscmore) and he had me come take a tour of their factory (small operation). Answered a ton of questions (I am a screen Newb) and gave me some samples to take with me. I am looking at their Glacier White 1.3 non acoustically transparent screen in a 16:9 format (they make 2.35 scope screens also and can do custom). Customer service, great reviews, American made (and local to boot), and the samples have sold me. Their 100" diagnol 16:9 fixed screens run either $859 or $1220 shipped depending on which frame you want. They use a grommet system to fasten their screen to the frame. Anyways I would call him or pm him here and at least see what he has to offer.

post #69 of 85 Old 03-28-2013, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmunster2 View Post

Given the Margins on that screen I would say this is NOT a good price. I know because... Well, lets just say that I know wink.gif

Tell them $850 and THEY come build, install and hang it. This still leaves more money per % in it than any other screen company they could sell you. Make them do actual WORK for their money. You know... the old fashioned way. Nothing wrong with that.
chriscmore likes this.
post #70 of 85 Old 07-24-2013, 08:32 AM

I am looking for a little advice. I recently ordered the HD25-LV (about 3k lumens). I will be using this in a light controlled home theatre and plan on using a Dragonfly 120" screen.

I was wondering though about my setup regarding the screen type. I can go with a high contrast screen of .9 gain or a matte white screen of 1.2 gain. I was told by someone locally that sine the HD25-LV has enough lumens the high contrast should work and leave me with better black levels/contrast all around. he said there is potential for washing out if I use too high of gain screen with too many lumens.

High Contrast
http://www.snapav.com/p-351-df-sl-120-hc.aspx

vs

Matte White
http://www.snapav.com/p-353-df-sl-120-mw.aspx

Thoughts?
post #71 of 85 Old 07-25-2013, 05:25 AM

IMHO, with the light controlled room, I would go with the HC screen as the weak point with most Optoma projectors is the black level, unless you are planning to do allot of 3D viewing and even then, that HD25 is a light cannon.
post #72 of 85 Old 07-25-2013, 08:03 PM

Liked: 22
I've used both with my Sim2 D60 and preferred the white screen. Colors seemed more accurate, while blacks weren't as black I felt like I could see more shadow detail, more subtleties in the gradients of dark gray.

YMMV, if you can try both, see what you like.

Down
RTiA9 - CSiA6 - FXiA6
Dual HSU VTF-15H
HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panasonic 500

Up
LSi9 LSiC RX-V3000 Panasonic 220
post #73 of 85 Old 07-25-2013, 08:33 PM

great.All my guests and friends that have come for a movie night have been in awe.thanks mpAE
post #74 of 85 Old 08-04-2013, 12:22 AM

agree.THe HT room is near to the point I need to order it. thank you lt6Lgn
post #75 of 85 Old 08-07-2013, 07:56 PM

Liked: 34
I would also go with the matte white. I think you will like the pic better and every litt1e bit of extra brightness helps any projector....even if it's already pretty bright...once calibrated you will probably lose brightness. (Spears and Munsil have 3d calibration patterns now)

As for others on the fence about getting Dragonfly screens, I have a Dragonfly 120" screen that I have had for 2 years now. No discoloring and it is a quality screen. Picture quality is great. I like the screen attaching method of Dragonfly better compared to some other brands but it can be a little hard to mount it with the top and bottom brackets.....All in all I think its a great quality screen.
roblutts likes this.

Mancave System:
Mains: RF-7IIs
Center: RC-62 (need to upgrade)
Surrounds: RF-82s
Display: Optoma 1080p 3d projector with 120" Screen
Misc: PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Roku 3, Harman receiver, Wii, Blu Ray player
post #76 of 85 Old 10-24-2013, 03:27 PM

I've got a price on the motorized 92inch HC grey for $999 and the tab tensioned version for $1499. I'm pretty sure they include installation too. Is that a reasonable price (that's CAD too, not USD).
post #77 of 85 Old 10-25-2013, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlemagellan View Post

I've got a price on the motorized 92inch HC grey for $999 and the tab tensioned version for $1499. I'm pretty sure they include installation too. Is that a reasonable price (that's CAD too, not USD).

That seems pretty reasonable since it includes installation. It's hard to quantify since I don't know the details of your installation but MSRP on the screen is $849 US. It all depends on how many man hours are included for the installation. The custom installer that I sometimes help out charges $125 per man hour. Personally, I would shoot for closer to $899 installed but I'm cheap......
post #78 of 85 Old 12-03-2013, 02:08 PM

Liked: 12
Would $400 for a 92 fixed screen Dragonfly be a good deal? Says its still in the box.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/ele/4219014181.html
post #79 of 85 Old 12-04-2013, 05:29 AM

Yes, a good deal. $350 - 375 would be an excellent deal but it sounds like the seller is firm on the price.
post #80 of 85 Old 01-22-2014, 09:05 PM

As a SnapAV/Dragonfly dealer, I'd like to take a moment and debunk a few myths:

-Product Pricing -

1. Rarely are dealers ever looking to screw a customer, especially if they've been around a while. The reason you see fluctuations in price is due in part, to circumstance. For instance: If I have an order for a screen to be installed for a home builder, it's put into inventory, and the project falls through, guess what? I've got an extra screen to get rid of. Maybe I have a deposit on it? I can sell it for even less. Just because I'm willing to move that screen for $500 and the other guy has to buy one for twice that price, doesn't mean he's screwing you.

2. Dealers buy at different levels; The more product I purchase, the better my price. A dealer who buys a ton of Screen Innovations, (SI), will likely push and price a black diamond for less than a dealer that sells mostly dragonfly. Turn the tables on the SI guru, and you'll see what I mean.

3. The custom dealer could, and often is, selling more screens than a retail store. His overhead is low, (No Showroom, and No employees). He can justify a lower margin, because he's a "lone ranger". If you still have a Retail store in the neighborhood, and they are shooting you prices that seem high? Trust Me, they have PLENTY of clients paying those prices. Many people so greatly value the "full service" model, that they don't care what it costs. Don't be a hater, and don't forget how to negotiate. If your truly a low maintenance customer, and you can convince me of it, you'll get a great price.

-Screen Yellowing -

Screen Yellowing is real. I won't name any brands in particular, but most screen manufacturers use oil based paint as the base for their coatings. Oil based paints will yellow, especially when exposed to sunlight. The necessity for screen coatings depends on the room. Some manufacturers such as Severtson use water based coatings to prevent yellowing. Dragonfly screens are not "coated", and therefore won't yellow. They will on the other hand, seem underwhelming when compared to a competitors screen under various lighting conditions.

-Screen Manufacturing Similarities-

I can't say for sure how modern patent laws work, and how they apply in China. I think that SnapAV has figured out that the US patent process is too long, too costly, and often ignored; So maybe they don't bother anymore? The Dragonfly fixed-frame product was unique when I picked it up. If similarities exist in the market today, I can assure you; SnapAV was first on the scene. They continue to tackle the issues that bother integrator's the most, and for that; I'm thankful.
post #81 of 85 Old 01-29-2014, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Is there anywhere online these can be purchased from? Am in NZ so a brick and mortar store is of no use to me.
post #82 of 85 Old 04-29-2014, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
What is the going price range for the Dragonfly 110" Acousta Weave screen? I am getting quotes for $1299 which seems high to me.
post #83 of 85 Old 07-09-2014, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornell View Post
What is the going price range for the Dragonfly 110" Acousta Weave screen? I am getting quotes for $1299 which seems high to me.
Retail price is $1,799. $1,299 is 20% OFF
post #84 of 85 Old 07-15-2014, 04:47 PM

I have a HT in the basement, it's 15'x 25' at the end of a 15' x 64' rec room. Ambient light is controlled, but it's a rec room. I have been recommended a 120" Dragonfly fixed screen (matte white) w/ 2.5" veltex surround. I plan to buy the Sony 55ES and it will be mounted 18' from the screen. How would this compare to a SI Slate or Carada Criterion?

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE
USN, CDR, RET
UDT/SEAL-EOD 1971-2003
post #85 of 85 Old 08-15-2014, 04:50 PM

Liked: 0
Folks,

HT n00b here. Looking to setup a budget HT in a small space (~10.5' x 14.5'), and I am thinking of going with a 92" electric screen. I've been doing some research on projector screens, and it seems that Dragonfly screens have pretty positive reviews, without being as expensive as say Da-Lite or Stewart screens. I am hoping to get some advice on a couple of questions:

1. For a 92" screen, is it worth spending the extra $$$ for a tab-tensioned screen, or would a non-tab tensioned screen work just as well?
2. Is $895 a reasonable price for the Dragonfly DFM-TT-92-HC? (92", tab-tensioned, high contrast screen)

Thanks for your help!
Reply Screens

Tags
Mitsubishi Hc3000u High Definition 720p Dlp Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page