DragonFly screens - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 119 Old 05-18-2015, 07:40 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking at getting a Dragonfly 120" HC fixed frame NIB for $500. Is this as good of a deal as it sounds? I know I was quoted 999 for 106 matte white at the store. I will be running a SONY VPL-HW40ES as the projector in a basement with very little ambient lighting from 4 daylight windows. With this set up work well? Just entering into the projector world.

Panasonic TC-P58VT25
Denon 2312ci
Def Tech 8040ST
Def Tech Procenter 2000
Def Tech 8040BP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 119 Old 05-18-2015, 08:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I can't comment on the projector setup with your lighting but as far as the price for the screen, Yes, that's a very good deal.
post #93 of 119 Old 05-18-2015, 09:32 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Any concerns about it being the high contrast grey? I really don't have a lot of ambient light to block out, so that isn't an issue. I have heard from a friend who has a Panoview GreyWolf II that he thought the grey high contrast screen cause more graininess then a matte white. Wondering if this is common with the grey high contrast screens or perhaps just isolated to the Panoview brand or at least more prominent than in Dragonfly screens.

Panasonic TC-P58VT25
Denon 2312ci
Def Tech 8040ST
Def Tech Procenter 2000
Def Tech 8040BP
post #94 of 119 Old 07-22-2015, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Just came across a 110" high contrast screen as part of a 'got it with the house' projector deal. Part number is DF-SL-110-HC. It's in great condition, but I have an acoustically transparent screen setup now in my HT. I have a Draper AT1200 now, and it seems that the Dragonfly is a little larger and a little more substantial, so....

I'd like to explore replacing the screen material with their Acousticweave II fabric...looks like it would be easy to do.

SnapAV's website says they only sell via dealers, but this is certainly a "PITA" inquiry. I've reached out to the manufacturer via email for help, but thought there might be a dealer still subscribed to this thread that could help.

I guess my other option is to sell it and make someone else a really good deal on a 110" with HC material.

I'm finding that I'm smarter than I thought, but dumber than I need to be.
PSN ID: rtart, alt Ginsuyou2
post #95 of 119 Old 07-23-2015, 07:45 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtart View Post
Just came across a 110" high contrast screen as part of a 'got it with the house' projector deal. Part number is DF-SL-110-HC. It's in great condition, but I have an acoustically transparent screen setup now in my HT. I have a Draper AT1200 now, and it seems that the Dragonfly is a little larger and a little more substantial, so....

I'd like to explore replacing the screen material with their Acousticweave II fabric...looks like it would be easy to do.

SnapAV's website says they only sell via dealers, but this is certainly a "PITA" inquiry. I've reached out to the manufacturer via email for help, but thought there might be a dealer still subscribed to this thread that could help.

I guess my other option is to sell it and make someone else a really good deal on a 110" with HC material.
IMHO, sell the Dragonfly. I would not replace a Mercedes with a Kia (No offense to Kia owners), you currently own what I would consider a "Luxury" screen and I would not replace it with a "Made in China for a price point" screen. Not that it's a bad screen, just not at the level of what you currently own.
post #96 of 119 Old 07-23-2015, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the reply. I did receive a response from SnapAV...which is something. It was the expected...."we only sell through dealers.....we don't sell the screen fabric separately"...response.

I do understand that this kind of request is kind of a pain, but making a customer happy is never a bad idea. How much effort would it take to figure out a price and maybe sell something and make a customer happy? Instead, I've written SnapAV and their screens off of my list forever.

Anyone want a great deal on a Dragonfly 110" high contrast screen?

post #97 of 119 Old 07-23-2015, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Possibly interested in your screen. Sent you a PM.
post #98 of 119 Old 07-23-2015, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
looks like i needed another post in order to PM.
post #99 of 119 Old 07-23-2015, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbudzinski View Post
Possibly interested in your screen. Sent you a PM.
Replied via PM....

post #100 of 119 Old 08-27-2015, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I got a quote today..he is charging 1000 bucks for 100" screen...is that that good ? i asked him do you have any other stuff he said screen innovations which starts from 3000 or so
post #101 of 119 Old 08-28-2015, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked: 336
The MSRP on the Dragonfly is $1149. The Screen Innovations with Solar Gray or Solar White is about the same price. Those materials are similar to the Dragonfly but the Solar white has more gain. At this price point I might spend a little more and go with a Stewart Cima it retails for ~$1400. If you are looking at Screen Innovations Black Diamond materials then they are close to 3 grand.
post #102 of 119 Old 08-29-2015, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 54
So what is the overall verdict? Good or just ok? Can find better for the same price?
I just came back from a dealer, he is going to email me his quote.
I am looking for a:
Dragonfly™ Motorized Tab Tension 100 in. High Contrast Projection Screen (16:9 Aspect Ratio)
DFM-TAB-100-HC
OR
Dragonfly™ Motorized Tab Tension 100 in. Matte White Projection Screen (16:9 Aspect Ratio)
DFM-TAB-100-MW

Not sure of the difference between the 2 models, 0.8 vs 1.0 gain based on their website? What does it mean?

Thanks.

Sony VPL-HW40ES / Silver Ticket 110"
Pioneer SC-97
Klipsch RP-450C / 2x F-30 / 2x R-5650-S II / 2x R-15M / 2x CDT5800 II
Sub: Outlaw Ultra-X12
HTPC Windows 7 and Kodi (with custom Ace Skin) / Home Server for Media
post #103 of 119 Old 08-29-2015, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

The matte white is a white screen and is best used for watching with the lights off and with dark colored walls and ceilings. Gray screens lower black levels and help with contrast especially with very light colored walls or ceiling that is placed near the screen. It also helps the contrast when some ambient light is used. Overall gain doesn't always tell the whole story about all the characteristics of the screen. In this instance they have very similar properties but the gray screen ( high contrast .8) will be 20% less bright but give better contrast if used with light colored rooms or some ambient light. Try to keep ambient light from hitting the screen, use ambient light that does not aim at the screen.

For your size screen you want a projector with at least 600 lumens in its best picture quality mode for using a white screen and watching in the dark. For a little ambient light or a light colored environment you want at least 800 lumens for the gray screen (High Contrast .8). The more ambient light you have the more lumens you want. Most projectors have different viewing modes so you might use its best picture quality mode when watching in the dark and brighter modes for watching with ambient light sacrificing some picture quality to get the brighter picture.

To get a real idea of how many lumens the projector puts out look at reviews from websites like www.projectorreviews.com or www.projectorcentral.com, the manufacturers claims give the max lumens in modes that are not very pleasing. So the real world lumens vs. the manufacturer claims can often vary significantly.

The screens you are considering have and MSRP of $2600. They are electric and tensioned to provide a taut smooth service. Tensioned screens cost more than electrics that don't have tension and just hang there. The non-tensioned screens eventually develop waves but they cost about $1000 less. For about $200 more I would prefer the Stewart Cima, they make the Neve (White) and Tiburon material (Gray) materials similar to the Dragonfly materials. However, you will often find the Dragonfly screens with a bigger discounts.
post #104 of 119 Old 08-29-2015, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellebob View Post
The matte white is a white screen and is best used for watching with the lights off and with dark colored walls and ceilings. Gray screens lower black levels and help with contrast especially with very light colored walls or ceiling that is placed near the screen. It also helps the contrast when some ambient light is used. Overall gain doesn't always tell the whole story about all the characteristics of the screen. In this instance they have very similar properties but the gray screen ( high contrast .8) will be 20% less bright but give better contrast if used with light colored rooms or some ambient light. Try to keep ambient light from hitting the screen, use ambient light that does not aim at the screen.

For your size screen you want a projector with at least 600 lumens in its best picture quality mode for using a white screen and watching in the dark. For a little ambient light or a light colored environment you want at least 800 lumens for the gray screen (High Contrast .8). The more ambient light you have the more lumens you want. Most projectors have different viewing modes so you might use its best picture quality mode when watching in the dark and brighter modes for watching with ambient light sacrificing some picture quality to get the brighter picture.

To get a real idea of how many lumens the projector puts out look at reviews from websites like www.projectorreviews.com or www.projectorcentral.com, the manufacturers claims give the max lumens in modes that are not very pleasing. So the real world lumens vs. the manufacturer claims can often vary significantly.

The screens you are considering have and MSRP of $2600. They are electric and tensioned to provide a taut smooth service. Tensioned screens cost more than electrics that don't have tension and just hang there. The non-tensioned screens eventually develop waves but they cost about $1000 less. For about $200 more I would prefer the Stewart Cima, they make the Neve (White) and Tiburon material (Gray) materials similar to the Dragonfly materials. However, you will often find the Dragonfly screens with a bigger discounts.
Thank you for the detailed answer.
I received my quote:
Pricing: 100inch Mat white for $1800
100inch high contrast for $1050
Both are motorized tab tension
Not sure why such a big difference between the 2.
Is it a good price?
How does it compare to Elite screen shaker or other from Elite screen motorized with tab tension?
This is my first screen. No idea how to compare! Thanks.
post #105 of 119 Old 08-29-2015, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

The high contrast is an excellent price and the matte white is certainly fair. Our company had problems with Elite in the past and we haven't carried them recently so I am not up on their current line up.
post #106 of 119 Old 08-29-2015, 09:04 PM

Quote:
The high contrast is an excellent price and the matte white is certainly fair. Our company had problems with Elite in the past and we haven't carried them recently so I am not up on their current line up.
Thanks again! Do you have any suggestion on screen? It seems that you have a good knowledge on the subject
I have a good control of the light in my room, and I have dark grey wall.
I need a 100inch screen motorized To put in front of my window.
I will be purchasing a Sony 40es projector sometime this week since it s on sale. I don't have any specific store in mind. I am just rdy to buy it :-)
Thanks!
post #107 of 119 Old 08-30-2015, 04:08 AM
AVS Special Member

The company I work specializes in projectors so I install and calibrate a lot of projectors every year. So I have some experience

With that projector having so-so black levels I would pair it with the high contrast screen to help its black levels, plus that projector has enough calibrated lumens for the gray screen and some ambient light if needed. You'll probably run the projector in low lamp mode until the bulb ages a bit, or you can put it in high if you have some lights on.
post #108 of 119 Old 08-30-2015, 05:10 AM

Quote:
The company I work specializes in projectors so I install and calibrate a lot of projectors every year. So I have some experience

With that projector having so-so black levels I would pair it with the high contrast screen to help its black levels, plus that projector has enough calibrated lumens for the gray screen and some ambient light if needed. You'll probably run the projector in low lamp mode until the bulb ages a bit, or you can put it in high if you have some lights on.
Hmmm I thought this projector was fairly good for black and contrast. I was in between Sony 40es and Epson 5030 but Epson generates a fairly high fan noise so I decided on the Sony. They are currently both on sale.

So your advise would be to go with the 1000$ high contrasts dragonfly? Any other brand I should consider for less than 1000$?
post #109 of 119 Old 08-30-2015, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

We use these both these projectors and I like them both for different reasons. The Epson has better blacks and contrast, if calibrated it has a much nicer picture than the Sony. It is really closer to the Sony 55 if calibrated and in certain situations I would take it over the 55. The Epson also has brighter modes for ambient light but not by much. The Sony is brighter in its best picture quality mode but not as bright in its other modes. The Sony while its contrast is not as good, its colors are better out of the box and it doesn't need much for calibration as it is already close. They both are very quiet in low power and would not bother anyone. The Epson is noisier in high power and might be bothersome to some people depending on their situation like if the projector is near them. For your situation here is the choices.

If you are going to get your projector calibrated, watch in the dark mostly or like 3D, the Epson with the matte white screen is the better choice. The Epson does have some brighter modes for ambient light but it will be in high power which is noisier.

If you are not getting your projector calibrated, watch with some ambient light or are a gamer, The Sony with the high contrast screen is the better choice. $1000 is a real good price for a tensioned screen. I don't know of any better at that price point.

There is no perfect projector for every condition regardless of price. Look at the qualities that are important to you. Both of these are good, you just have to pick which works better for the majority off your viewing. Like I would never pick a projector based off its 3D capability if I only watch an occasional 3D movie.
post #110 of 119 Old 09-15-2015, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I would like to hear from a Dragonfly dealer interested in giving me a quote for drop shipping me a Dragonfly tab tensioned electric retractable screen, 92" diagonal, in matte white with a white metal case. I have already consulted with my local dealer and am not interested in dealing further with him. My zip code for shipping is 28469. I will be using this screen with a JVC RS 4910U projector.
Susan
post #111 of 119 Old 09-16-2015, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

I doubt you will find a dealer willing to do this. They have a no shipping policy. However, there are probably a good number of dealers in a reasonable distance from you. Give Dragonfly a call.
post #112 of 119 Old 09-16-2015, 10:59 AM

Appreciate the suggestion. Can anyone tell me whether the Dragonfly tab tensioned screens come with a plug or do they need to be hard wired? And f they come with a plug, what side is it on?
post #113 of 119 Old 09-16-2015, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

They come with a plug. I think it is on the left.
post #114 of 119 Old 09-16-2015, 03:33 PM

Thanks. This is valuable information for anyone who might be interested in this screen.
post #115 of 119 Old 09-17-2015, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loquitur View Post
Thanks. This is valuable information for anyone who might be interested in this screen.
I took Ellebob's advise and called Dragonfly re dealers in my area and they gave me a total of 3 within an hour drive. I'm happy to say that I was able to buy the screen and wireless 12v trigger from one of them at a price which, though not killer, I consider to be fair. Am I allowed to post about the price I paid and the range of prices I received if I don't identify the dealers?
post #116 of 119 Old 11-14-2015, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Drop shipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loquitur View Post
I would like to hear from a Dragonfly dealer interested in giving me a quote for drop shipping me a Dragonfly tab tensioned electric retractable screen, 92" diagonal, in matte white with a white metal case. I have already consulted with my local dealer and am not interested in dealing further with him. My zip code for shipping is 28469. I will be using this screen with a JVC RS 4910U projector.
Susan

Hello,

I am a Dragonfly dealer and I could have anything that is in stock drop shipped to you.

Steve
Instinctive Engineering
post #117 of 119 Old 04-14-2016, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Similar question: How are Dragonfly acoustically transparent screens? Are they woven or perf, and suitable for 4K?

I've got a HT install proposal which includes a Dragonfly AT screen. I've not heard of this brand before and have no idea if this is a good screen to go with in the $2000 range.
post #118 of 119 Old 04-15-2016, 06:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoutingMan View Post
Similar question: How are Dragonfly acoustically transparent screens? Are they woven or perf, and suitable for 4K?

I've got a HT install proposal which includes a Dragonfly AT screen. I've not heard of this brand before and have no idea if this is a good screen to go with in the $2000 range.
At dealer of ~$400, they can work, and would compete with their comrades Accuscreens, Grandview, Monoprice, Elite, Elunevision, etc.

Cheers,
Chris

Seymour AV
515-268-3369

Seymour-Screen Excellence
515-450-5694
post #119 of 119 Old 04-20-2016, 01:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Does anyone have any experience of the Dragonfly Acoustic weave material?

They claim a gain of 1.35 which is far higher than any other AT screen material I have come across. Is this a spurious claim, or has anyone taken measurements to confirm which is actually achieves versus a unity gin material?

Also, what is the density of the weave like, vs other woven screen materials?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Tags
Mitsubishi Hc3000u High Definition 720p Dlp Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread