DragonFly screens - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 85 Old 10-24-2006, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know anything about Dragonfly screens by SnapAV? They look pretty good and I have a bud that can get me a good price for one. They also appear to have a pretty good ceiling mount as well. Any thoughts? I would post the link but I think thats not permissable here.

Thanks all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 85 Old 10-29-2006, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Figured I would bump this one time. Thanks!
post #3 of 85 Old 10-29-2006, 12:37 PM

Liked: 53
We got one in to try but haven't opened it yet. I heard the matte white is very good and pretty much the equivlent of most other matte white screens. I probably won't have time to evaluate anytime soon.

Bob
post #4 of 85 Old 11-03-2006, 07:45 AM

I just got through putting one up in my room. Easy install, like the tension
poles around the edges have not put an image on it yet, waiting for new PJ. Looks nice on the wall, my only complaint would be the actually mounting to the wall. It sounds easy but it was harder than I thought. Could not get the top and bottom hangers on at the same time. Did the top and worked the bottoms one in next.
post #5 of 85 Old 01-25-2007, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to know if anyone had anything further to say on these screens. THe HT room is near to the point I need to order it. Anyone that has used them please let me know.

My thanks,

Bart

Here is the link:

http://www.snapav.com/catalog/list.a...Film%20Screens
post #6 of 85 Old 01-25-2007, 10:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
I have been using a DragonFly92" high contrast for 2 months with a Mitsubishi HC3000u projector and love it. Like the velvet border that blocks reflecting light from the screen. All my guests and friends that have come for a movie night have been in awe.

Hope that helps.

Mr Ian B
post #7 of 85 Old 01-27-2007, 12:03 PM

I purchased the 106" to go with my optoma hd72 and absolutely love it! I have nothing to compare it with because this is my first screen but I am very pleased with it. Mounting was a little difficult because of the lower brackets. PM me and I can tell you what price I paid. Im curious about the pricing. Don't know if I paid too much.
post #8 of 85 Old 05-12-2007, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

I thought I'd bump this up.

I have the 92 inch matte white screen with my hd1000u. I had a cheapy screen before this. no comparison. The velvet around the borders soak up any light overspill.

Excellent product.

Wife factor? Hell, my electronics keep me warm at night.
post #9 of 85 Old 06-08-2007, 08:12 PM

Anyone know where it is possible to purchase them online or brick-n-mortar? I'm curious...
post #10 of 85 Old 06-09-2007, 11:20 AM

i purchased locally in salt lake. There were alot of b&m's carrying the product line. Online I could only find a wholesaler who wouldnt sell to me.

edited the link for wholesale. Someone posted it about 3 or 4 post previously

Good luck
post #11 of 85 Old 11-06-2007, 10:10 AM

We were previously a "B&M" store in Georgia but have gone "strictly custom" like many others, in the last few years. I picked up Dragonfly a few months ago to sell along with some of our more popular, budget prices 1080p and 720p projectors.

We were mainly a Stewart Filmscreen house in the past but now only sell them with our more expensive and higher quality projector offerings. While the image quality of the Dragonfly product isn't quite in the same league as Stewart, it is so good that I did some investigation on the screens material quality.

One of the principle partners (of Dragonfly's parent company) informed me that they are manufacturing their screens in the same Chinese factory that DaLite Screen Company used for most of their "fixed" screens until they brought all their mfg into the U.S.

The main difference between Dragonfly and DaLite is that Dragonfly has selected only a few standard HDTV sizes (no custom orders) which significantly reduces their costs, plus they are more interested in the Home Theater 16x9 market than the 4x3 presentation and educational sales market, further reducing their on hand stock and mfg costs. They also present a truly fantastic value compared to other similarly priced Home Theater screen makers based on quality of materials, construction and ease of installation.

Lastly, Draper, Elite, Vutec and a few other manufacturers choose to use standard sign vinyl for their screen material, resulting in "hot spotting" color abnormalities and reduced black levels. Not true with either Dragonfly -or- DaLite products.

Sorry so long . . .
post #12 of 85 Old 11-07-2007, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Has the Dragonfly High Contrast or the Matte White proved to the best match for 1080p single chip projectors at 106"?

Murray Kerdman
post #13 of 85 Old 04-24-2008, 12:14 PM

For those who read this thread on the forum, please be aware that the following is untrue and extremely incorrect:
Taken from dwixsom's post above:"One of the principle partners (of Dragonfly's parent company) informed me that they are manufacturing their screens in the same Chinese factory that DaLite Screen Company used for most of their "fixed" screens until they brought all their mfg into the U.S. "

Da-Lite has, since its beginning in 1909, and continues to make it's projections screens in the USA. With locations in Warsaw, IN, Cincinnatti, OH and Wichita, KS, Da-Lite manufactures every projection screen with pride here in the USA. We have never had production in China nor do we have any plans to do so. We even manufacture our own fabric right here in the US.

So, when someone tries to tell you that a Da-Lite product is not made here in the U.S., or tells you that we made them in China at one time, DO NOT BELIEVE THEM!

Thank you,

Blake Brubaker, CTS
Vice President of Sales
Da-Lite Screen Company, Inc.
post #14 of 85 Old 03-04-2009, 04:55 PM

there is a local seller here wanting $300 for a brand new unopened 92" matte white dragonfly screen. is that a good deal? what do these go for normally?
post #15 of 85 Old 03-04-2009, 05:57 PM

Looks an awful lot like focupix screens from htdepot.
post #16 of 85 Old 03-05-2009, 07:01 AM

Liked: 53
That is a good price for that screen, MSRP $1199. Although, they are rarely sold for reatail. I don't know anything about focupix so I can't compare.

Bob
post #17 of 85 Old 03-27-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BartlettJ64 View Post

Does anyone know anything about Dragonfly screens by SnapAV? They look pretty good and I have a bud that can get me a good price for one. They also appear to have a pretty good ceiling mount as well. Any thoughts? I would post the link but I think thats not permissable here.

Thanks all!

Looks like I will be picking up a slightly used Dragonfly tab tensioned high contrast screen 84" and look forward giving my .02 worth.
post #18 of 85 Old 04-09-2009, 11:26 AM

Ok I did purchase the Dragonfly 84 tab tensioned high contrast gray screen from a dealer who needed a larger size. I paid 200.00 + 40.00 for shipping $240 out the door. It is mounted and I have watched a few movies.

My first thought is that is if you love elite's high contrast gray screen material you will love dragonflys high contrast grey material. You will like it exactly the same.

The motor and remote control work well and the screen lays perfectly flat once down. I did have to adjust the drop of the screen but it was very easy and was just turns on a allen wrench in a hole in the front of the screen (you do have to pull the screen up and then let down to see what the adjustment did).

I have the dalite high power screen as well but it no longer suits my set up as the projector is ceiling not eye level mounted. I evaluated and have screen samples from elite (matte white and high contrast grey), stewart (firehawk sst, and g3, as well as studiotex) and dalite (high contrast matte white, silver scree...forgot the name). All else being equal I would have gone with stewart but even used the screens garner big bucks....for 200.00 the dragonfly tab tensioned was to cheap to pass up. Once again the fabric on dragonfly high contrast grey is exactly the same (texture, tint) as one of my other samples.

Any other questions about the screen I would be happy to answer....I am not affiliated with any of these companies..
post #19 of 85 Old 04-09-2009, 11:29 AM

Forgot the projector is panny ax200u...
post #20 of 85 Old 04-15-2009, 06:26 PM

It looks like they have an acoustically transparent screen coming soon!!!

http://www.snapav.com/snapav/DetailV...Code=DF-120-AW
post #21 of 85 Old 04-22-2009, 02:24 PM

I am the Product Manager of Dragonfly Screens for Snap AV. I am happy to say our AcoustiWeave screens will be in stock toward the end of May and ready for sale. We are very excited to release this line and they will be available in 92, 100, 106, 110 and 120". However, we only sell commercially so you will need to visit your local custom A/V house to see if they carry it. If you get ahold of one or see it in store, I am very interested to hear your feedback!

Thank you,
Nick Lievano
post #22 of 85 Old 04-24-2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlievano View Post

I am the Product Manager of Dragonfly Screens for Snap AV. I am happy to say our AcoustiWeave screens will be in stock toward the end of May and ready for sale. We are very excited to release this line and they will be available in 92, 100, 106, 110 and 120". However, we only sell commercially so you will need to visit your local custom A/V house to see if they carry it. If you get ahold of one or see it in store, I am very interested to hear your feedback!

Thank you,
Nick Lievano

I see they are only available in 16:9 format. Are there plans for 2.35:1 screens?
post #23 of 85 Old 04-27-2009, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htguruwannab View Post

I see they are only available in 16:9 format. Are there plans for 2.35:1 screens?

Though I can not validate the time frame they will be available, it is an option we are considering.
post #24 of 85 Old 06-08-2009, 06:39 PM

Has anyone seen one of the acoustically transparent dragonfly screens yet?
post #25 of 85 Old 06-09-2009, 12:03 PM

Hi all...

Does anyone know how the CARADA (Brilliant White) stacks up against the Dragonfly...I have a custom HT installer offering me the screen at the same price point..

Thanks!

Max
post #26 of 85 Old 06-29-2009, 02:02 PM

I am in the process of building my Home Theater. I just got a great deal on a new in box Dragonfly HC 106 inch. I am going to use it with a Optoma HD72. The Optoma 72 is a pretty bright projector so I am hoping that it will mate with this screen.
post #27 of 85 Old 07-03-2009, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsung View Post

Has anyone seen one of the acoustically transparent dragonfly screens yet?

I'm installing an AT screen for a client in the next two weeks and will report back.

FWIW: I've used Dragonfly screens for clients for a while and have been happy (as have my clients). They're not a Stewart, but having worked with several other budget screens, I can say they are a good value and compare nicely to the less expensive models I've used.

Colorado Media Systems
Colorado Springs, CO
post #28 of 85 Old 07-12-2009, 06:25 PM

I am being offered a Matt White Fixed Mount 106 inch dragonfly screen for $1399. Is that too much? Also, does any one know of any good AV stores that sell screens in Northern VA/D.C./Rockville MD area? Thanks
post #29 of 85 Old 07-14-2009, 05:09 PM

The Dragonfly screens are a very good choice and comparable in quality and picture. This is my go to screen when it comes to the budget minded clients.

Steve
Instinctive Engineering
post #30 of 85 Old 07-21-2009, 11:40 AM

I just got a 110" dragonfly and love it so far no problems. Works like a champ and looks great.
Reply Screens

Tags
Mitsubishi Hc3000u High Definition 720p Dlp Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page