AVS Forum banner

Has anyone tried the new Monoprice screens?

129K views 264 replies 125 participants last post by  gatorkeith 
#1 ·
Has anyone tried the new Monoprice screens? The prices for the electric models are really low. They are listed under new products on their site and they are mat white 1x1 screens. I wonder if they will do for screens what they did for cables and switches, keep the price low for quality products.

#28 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnqh /forum/post/0

Hi Polygamy,

How was your screen installed? Was it easy?

Installation takes about 5mins [1 screw at each end] if you know where you're going to mount the screen and if you have somebody to hold the fixture. . .not involved at all. . .I'll take a close-up of where it mounts so you guys can get an idea of how it mounts

#29 ·
So any pics of the screen in actual use with a projector? How does it look?

#31 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamSpeed /forum/post/0

Looks like the border material is coming up on the lower right corner? Is that really the case, or is it just the way the pic appears with that corner of the screen resting on something that is cauing it to bow?

In that picture it was slightly resting on my bass-drum mic thus causing it to bow. . .nothing to do with the screen itself

#34 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgronseth /forum/post/0

The questions I asked were:

1. Color of the case?

Answer: White

2. Size of the case?

Answer: He didn't have that info but said it is just a couple inches wider than the screen. He said he could find the info, but I didn't ask him to do that.

3. What is the Viewing Angle?

Answer: He didn't know.

4. I assume it has a black border?

Answer: Yes a couple of inches or so.

5. Weight of product?

Answer: He didn't know right off hand but thought it was about 70lbs.

6: Return Policy?

Answer: Same as other products, 21 days, no restocking fee, but S&H is not refunded.

7: Warranty?

Answer: He didn't have anything specific, just said to check the website. (I couldn't find any specific warranties beyond the 21 days, but I didn't look too much.)

I'm Sean with Monoprice, Inc. Here're a little bit more answers for the questions above.

1. Color of the case?

Answer: Matt White

2. Size of the case?

Answer: It is just a couple inches wider than the screen. Sorry, no further info at this time on this question.

3. What is the Viewing Angle?

Answer: Not sure. Sorry.

4. I assume it has a black border?

Answer: Yes a couple of inches or so.

5. Weight of product?

Answer: Its actual weight is about 30LBs, however, we charge shipping cost based on 70LBs due to its over-size volume.

6: Return Policy?

Answer: Same as other products, 21 days, no restocking fee, but S&H is not refunded.

7: Warranty?

Answer: It comes with one year warranty from us.

#37 ·
I just mounted the 16:9 108" electric screen in my basement. I will post some pictures. The screen is flush mounted on the wall and took @ 15 minutes. It is helpful to have a second set of hands.

I also ordered the wireless remote. It is not plug and play. You have to cut the existing controller and plug and splice the Wireless receiver onto the cut end. I am waiting for some more specific instructions from Monoprice on the remote install. I am using this screen with the IN72 and so far I am satisfied. This is in my home theater in my basement which has virtually no ambient light. Keep in mind, this is my first projector/screen so I am not as particular as some.

Any questions, I would be more than happy to assist.

UPDATE =

Just wired up the receiver for the wireless remote.

Took @ 20 minutes. at this time Monoprice does not have a writeup.

Tools needed:

Soldering iron

Phiilips head screwdriver

Wire stripper/crimping tool

Basic electrical knowledge and experiencing with basic wiring - if you have ever wired up a car stereo, you are set.

#39 ·
XXXLCracker: Thanks for posting your experience. Could you let me know if the screen blocks light from behind? I would be lowering mine in front of a window, so I need to make sure the material is not at all translucent. Also, do you notice any waves on the screen, or does it appear to be flat and smooth when extended?

Thanks for your help!

#41 ·
I just mounted the 16:9 108" electric screen in my basement. I will post some pictures. The screen is flush mounted on the wall and took @ 15 minutes. It is helpful to have a second set of hands.

I also ordered the wireless remote. It is not plug and play. You have to cut the existing controller and plug and splice the Wireless receiver onto the cut end. I am waiting for some more specific instructions from Monoprice on the remote install. I am using this screen with the IN72 and so far I am satisfied. This is in my home theater in my basement which has virtually no ambient light. Keep in mind, this is my first projector/screen so I am not as particular as some.

Any questions, I would be more than happy to assist.

#45 ·
Mine arrived today. I ordered the 108" Electric 16:9 version.

A couple things, first. I haven't mounted my projector, yet. So, I won't have pictures for a couple days. I need to mount the projector, cut a couple holes into the ceiling for putting the cables up and down.

I should have the projector up today. My first impressions. The box seemed to be well packed. It has a heavy bar to weigh down the screen. The rubber boots (one for each end) were off, in the interior bag. It is also missing one screen that mounts the projector to the bracket.

It is white.

It also has a wired remote. The remote's cable comes out the right side. It looks like a beefy cable.

I did check for back light... I took a flashlight and put it directly against the back of the screen. It did show some light. I don't know if that will be strong enough to make a difference. I used a generic flashlight that uses 2 C Cells.

While there was some light, it was not uniform. My room was completely black when I put the flashlight to it.

I hope that helps.

#47 ·
Hey guys, a few quick questions for the ones that have it already...

Can you post all the dimensions of the case? Total width, height, depth, anything else? Please mention if you have the 108 or 135.

I'll be mounting this in the area of my built-in bookshelves that currently houses several single tubelights and their respective fixtures. I'm trying to figure out if this whole thing will be completely out of sight or not. Also has anyone tried programming the functions of the RF remote with any RF universal remote? (Harmony etc.) And since nobody mentioned, what is the time to full extension?

Thanks! Ya'll Rule.

#48 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kammer /forum/post/0

Are the mounting brackets that hold the screen adjustable?

The reason I ask is that if I purchase one, I will need to mount it across a couple of beams on my ceiling that will run perpendicular to the screen.

Thanks.

No. It wouldn't be hard to build something that they attach to.

The bracket is an L-bracket. It covers the side and back. There are two screws that mount to the screen. There's a single hole near the top for mounting to the wall.

#49 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaGeorge /forum/post/0

I'll start with 3 questions

1. How much drop (inches of black above viewing area) does it have?

2. Is the stop position finely adjustable?

3. How many seconds to come fully down?

thanks,

George

George,

1. It's about 1 1/2 inches on my 108" screen (16:9).

2. The stop is adjustable, but not finely.

3. I didn't time it. I will today.

#50 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmcquitty /forum/post/0

George,

1. It's about 1 1/2 inches on my 108" screen (16:9).

2. The stop is adjustable, but not finely.

3. I didn't time it. I will today.

If you can, would you please measure the outside dimensions of the case and post them on here? That is the only thing stopping me from buying.

I just need the width, height, and depth. Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.