Forum Jump: 

Old 03-20-2007, 07:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdentler View Post

Do you think it would have been possible to mount that on the ceiling? That's where I'm wanting to mount my screen.

This might be doable. I'm thinking to use the thin iron/steel wire that the builders use to hold dropped down ceiling brackets, but the problem is that the mounting enclosure would tilt, I think you can still use the screen just fine, but it just doesn't look very nice.

Hope other people who have mounted this screen onto the ceiling can weigh in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2007, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaman1666 View Post

grokus:

Thank You for the picture. I am planning on going to Monoprice to pick up that exact same screen in about a month. Please post any additional notes or comments as you enjoy your home theatre. All input and feedback will be helpful and most welcome!

Mounting was fairly easy. I picked up some drywall anchors from Home Depot, 30-lb ones, 6 for $2. Only one pair of screw+anchor was needed.

Unlike the feedback on monoprice, I did get a green plastic stick in the package. I heard it's used for adjusting the amount of screen drop although I don't know how to use it and am not planning to adjust the drop.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grokus View Post

This might be doable. I'm thinking to use the thin iron/steel wire that the builders use to hold dropped down ceiling brackets, but the problem is that the mounting enclosure would tilt, I think you can still use the screen just fine, but it just doesn't look very nice.

Hope other people who have mounted this screen onto the ceiling can weigh in.

I looked at the enclosure again tonight, actually one set of holes are for wall mount and another set is centered and for ceiling mount, so you should be OK.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grokus View Post

I looked at the enclosure again tonight, actually one set of holes are for wall mount and another set is centered and for ceiling mount, so you should be OK.

Thanks for the info.
Old 03-24-2007, 02:37 PM

Can someone compare the picture quality to something else? BOC perhaps?

I'm about to order and I don't want to change anything about the picture as I'm very satisfied with it- I just want to get the screen out of the way when not in use
Old 03-26-2007, 01:10 PM

Does anyone have pictures of the screens mounted to the wall all the way down? I am mainly interested in the 100 or the 108?

Does anyone know if the screens allow for audio transparancy?

-----
Old 03-26-2007, 02:40 PM

I would like to pick up again on a question asked earlier in the thread.

Q. Would it be possible to swap the screen material out for something else?

In reality I would like to know the answer to some more specific questions.

1. How is the screen material attached to the roller?
2. What is the roller made of?
3. How much space is there between the roller and the inside of the case?

Depending upon the answers, I wonder if it might be possible to swap the material for some acoustically transparent material and build a tab tensioning system as well. The viewable area would naturally need to go down as I would need space for the tensioning wires and tabs on the roller but I want a screen smaller than the 108" anyways. It would also be nice to be able to add a little more drop to the screen. You might ask why I would go to this effort. Have you seen the cost of a drop down tensioned acoustically transparent screen... The money savings are worth a little effort.

Thank you for any answers you screen owners are able to provide.

Craig
Old 03-26-2007, 04:45 PM

nvm
Old 03-26-2007, 11:48 PM

No idea, but if you're getting enough power to run a projector, audio system, dvd player, and whatever else I'm forgetting, I would venture that the lowering of a screen will probably be the least of your concerns
Old 03-30-2007, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So what's the consensus on these screens? Are they as good as the Da-Lite Model B's, C's?

I ordered a Pan-ax100u. I have a room with a decent amount of ambient light which I'll try to dim w/ shades. So I'm trying to figure out which screen and which material. Any advice would be appreciated.

thx
Old 04-15-2007, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
no response?
Old 04-18-2007, 02:33 PM

wat do you guys think about this, i originally planned to have a 135inch fixed screen above my fire place, but due to the hight of the fireplace i can only have a 106inch above the fireplace which is still great but i want more, so here is what im thinking of doing, i want to get the 135 and the RF remote, and paint it with black flame light fusion or that silver fire fusion stuff. i plan to mount this onto the ceiling. any suggestions?

EDIT: also the length of the room its going to be put inside of is 20 feet and on one side of the room is wall to wall sliding patio doors ( the pella designer ones with the shades built in to the door) the blinds in the door close out 90% of the light but some light still comes through....any problems from that?
Old 04-18-2007, 05:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlegend213 View Post

wat do you guys think about this, i originally planned to have a 135inch fixed screen above my fire place, so here is what im thinking of doing, i want to get the 135 and the RF remote, and paint it with black flame light fusion or that silver fire fusion stuff. i plan to mount this onto the ceiling. any suggestions?

EDIT: also the length of the room its going to be put inside of is 20 feet and on one side of the room is wall to wall sliding patio doors ( the pella designer ones with the shades built in to the door) the blinds in the door close out 90% of the light but some light still comes through....any problems from that?

Not with the coatings on the screen your considering, but come over to the Official Sprayed Screen Thread on the DIY Screen Forum with this, or PM me. You can get advice on the entire project that way.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
Old 04-23-2007, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

I am considering the 135" because I want the effect of unrolling the screen before a movie (without the price of quote better screens), that effect to me is nearly as important as picture because most of my friends don't even know you can watch tv on a projector.

Any issues on these screens with waves, and if so, any bright ideas on self installed tensioning?

Barry Bonds hit me 83 this year. Roethlisberger throw me 48 TD's the other year.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:00 AM
Advanced Member

Everyone must be enjoying their screens too much to reply, I guess it is a good thing. Anyway, I am about to purchase my 135" screen in a few days so speak now or forever hold your peace!

My main concern is if there are any waves on the monoprice screens?

thanks

Barry Bonds hit me 83 this year. Roethlisberger throw me 48 TD's the other year.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imromo24 View Post

Everyone must be enjoying their screens too much to reply, I guess it is a good thing. Anyway, I am about to purchase my 135" screen in a few days so speak now or forever hold your peace!

My main concern is if there are any waves on the monoprice screens?

thanks

Make sure you break the silence and let us know what you think of yours!
Old 05-15-2007, 12:26 PM

looks like we had quite a few interested, but not many reviews!

I suck at teh home theater
Old 05-15-2007, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
How is the adjustable stop?. Does it adjust the "full open" or do I have to adjust the stop every time I use the screen.

I am thinking of getting a 135" (or 150") and then adjusting the stop so I have an electric 2.35:1 screen.

Loganed - A long time ago.
My DVD Collection
My Build Thread - "under construction"
PSN: AtsymSknyfs
Old 05-15-2007, 09:03 PM
Advanced Member

I ordered the 135" because of the price and the shipping was even less than several other places. And after five "well paid for" days of traveling across country it is on time for delivery tomorrow.

Old 05-15-2007, 09:10 PM

Liked: 14
That's one thing I like about living on the west coast.... fast shipping from newegg and monoprice

==Cocophone==
Old 05-16-2007, 09:14 PM
Advanced Member

Ok, I got a call from UPS, because my address shares with a neighboring city, they got the delivery mixed up, not monoprices fault. But I must say the packaging they sent it in was pretty pathetic. However, for 50$ less than the other sites for delivery, it really didn't matter because the casing is metal, the screen rolls up inside, and it was in a plastice bag to keep dry. The box was mangled but the case and screen are fine.

Going to have to figure out some magic to hang it up though, definately no parts or instructions for a ceiling mount, but I don't think it will be difficult because the whole 135" screen and case only weighs 33lbs.

I am going to read around here first to find someone elses install post I saw once and report back later in the week.

Old 05-16-2007, 09:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The easiest way I have found to install the RF receiver to the projection screen is to splice the two cables together. Here is the procedure.

1. Cut the cable that is hardwired to the screen above the toggle switch so that you are removing the toggle switch and the AC plug from the screen.

2. Strip back the outer jacket for the remaining cable. Inside you will find 4 wires. They are Red, Black, White and Green. On the reciever unit for the remote you will also find 4 wires. They are Red, Blue, Brown and Yellow/Green.

3. Strip the jackets from the wires on the screen side to expose the bare wires.

4. Connect the screen wires to the remote wires as follows. I found screw-on wire connector nuts to be the easiest method.

The Red wire on the reciever to the Black wire comming from the screen.
The Blue wire on the reciever to the Red wire comming from the screen.
The Brown wire on the reciever to the White wire comming from the screen.
Yellow/Green wire on the reciever to the Green wire comming from the screen.

5. I used zip ties to bind the jacket of the cables together to keep them from pulling on the connections.

Once everythings connnected, plug it in and give it a try.

From the monoprice site for the remote control that you buy separately.

Old 05-16-2007, 10:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Going to have to figure out some magic to hang it up though, definately no parts or instructions for a ceiling mount, but I don't think it will be difficult because the whole 135" screen and case only weighs 33lbs.

Yes I quoted myself...but after further review, there are holes on the same bracket used for a wall mount ( on a balanced centerline of the case). I will put an anchor in the ceiling joist and wire to an s hook and hang with these holes provided. They are sturdy. and again, the whole thing only weighs 33lbs-ish.

Old 05-17-2007, 08:34 AM

Looking forward to some feedback!
Old 05-17-2007, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member

I used 6" J-hooks and took it as tight to the ceiling as possible (6" because of the 5" drop in the tile) I had to bridge the floor (ceiling in basement) joist with a 2x4 to get the right length and extra depth on the J-bolt. I used gorrila glue between the new 2x4 and the joist as well as nails. It is very sturdy. Then I attached 3/16 horse shoe? ring that has a screw close clasp (if someone knows what this is called please post). Then I drilled the same diameter hole through the ceiling tile, inserted the Jbolt and screwed it to the new 2x4 member. Very sturdy.

Total Cost: $35, but I bought a nice pair of wire strippers for $24 so it was actually $11 to mount. (and easy)

Old 05-17-2007, 09:29 PM
Advanced Member

The wire diagram for the wireless remote mentioned on their site works and is simple.

The screen rolls down smoothly, rather quietly and very professional like. I did about twenty tests because it is so cool.

The following are my impressions, I have not seen many other screens, this is my first.

Cons:
1. the material is very thin (definately keep it rolled up when not in use) looks like it may dent or wrinkle if abused.
2. the screen has waves that are visible with no projector on and side lighting, I don't think they will be noticed with the projector on but I don't have a proj yet.

Pros:
1. Professional looking and operation.
2. screen rolls up wirelessly with separate remote (recommended if plan to use roll up)
3. Wall and ceiling mountable (with Screw hooks, and 3/16" clasp purchased on your own)
4. Black border is paint but is very straight and even.
5. Looks to have good reflective properities (no proj tests yet)
6. Sturdy case and motor sounds sufficient.
7. For half the price of the lowest end screen I could find, I can't imagine needing to pay for anything else.
8.It can be stopped at any height with the stop button. However, it does only have 3" of black at top. My 7'6" basement is perfect for the drop and 135" screen.

I did not take it apart and do not plan to.

I don't see a reason to mount a new screen or paint the screen but I imagine it can be done, but may stress the motor??

I don't know if hanging weights to try and tension the screen would either work or be necessary. Therre is a heavy bar at the end of the screen that holds it still and staight.

Old 05-20-2007, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Alright, I still haven't gotten a projector....but I don't plan to until July...so every once in a while I go downstairs into the basment and push the wireless remote that I screwed in to the post behind the couch......and then just watch the screen go down and then up. It fits perfectly on the left end of a 20' wall that is approximately 7'-6" tall........The 3" or so drop plus the case plus the hooks in the ceiling as well as about 1' of space between the bottom of the screen and the floor is a perfect fit and looks very nice.

I have the 135" monoprice 16x9

Old 05-20-2007, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I don't know if hanging weights to try and tension the screen would either work or be necessary. Therre is a heavy bar at the end of the screen that holds it still and staight.

I did check if pulling on the bottom of the screen to simulate hanging some weights from the bottom pole across the screen .....it definately removed the waves.....So, I think that will be what I will do if there are any visible waves when I get my projector.

Old 05-21-2007, 07:10 AM

Well, apparently there are people ordering the 135", because it just went out of stock in the last week...and I found out when I went to place my order this morning.

A question for those who have the 135 - how big is the case (L, W, H) , and is the screen centered in length of the case or is it offset to one side (and by how much)? I will be placing blocking in the ceiling for the sheetrockers to cut to this week and had hoped to have the actual using in hand.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

I saw that, good thing I jumped in when I did, I think I got the last one, sorry!

The dimensions of the 135" are :

125 1/2" in total length outside end to outside end.

3 3/4" is the total outside to outside dimension of the case HEIGHT (including mounting plate attached.)

3" is the total outside to outside dimension of the case depth from front to back.

The screen is centered on the case with about 2 to 2 1/4" from the screen edge to the edge of the case.

The mounting hardware is exactly 125 1/2" apart. A 3/16" schackle and a J-hook worked perfectly to ceiling mount.

Tags
Monoprice , Projection Screens