AVS Forum banner

Has anyone tried the new Monoprice screens?

129K views 264 replies 125 participants last post by  gatorkeith 
#1 ·
Has anyone tried the new Monoprice screens? The prices for the electric models are really low. They are listed under new products on their site and they are mat white 1x1 screens. I wonder if they will do for screens what they did for cables and switches, keep the price low for quality products.

#102 ·
wat do you guys think about this, i originally planned to have a 135inch fixed screen above my fire place, but due to the hight of the fireplace i can only have a 106inch above the fireplace which is still great but i want more, so here is what im thinking of doing, i want to get the 135 and the RF remote, and paint it with black flame light fusion or that silver fire fusion stuff. i plan to mount this onto the ceiling. any suggestions?

EDIT: also the length of the room its going to be put inside of is 20 feet and on one side of the room is wall to wall sliding patio doors ( the pella designer ones with the shades built in to the door) the blinds in the door close out 90% of the light but some light still comes through....any problems from that?

#103 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlegend213 /forum/post/0

wat do you guys think about this, i originally planned to have a 135inch fixed screen above my fire place, so here is what im thinking of doing, i want to get the 135 and the RF remote, and paint it with black flame light fusion or that silver fire fusion stuff. i plan to mount this onto the ceiling. any suggestions?

EDIT: also the length of the room its going to be put inside of is 20 feet and on one side of the room is wall to wall sliding patio doors ( the pella designer ones with the shades built in to the door) the blinds in the door close out 90% of the light but some light still comes through....any problems from that?

Not with the coatings on the screen your considering, but come over to the Official Sprayed Screen Thread on the DIY Screen Forum with this, or PM me. You can get advice on the entire project that way.

#104 ·
I am considering the 135" because I want the effect of unrolling the screen before a movie (without the price of quote better screens), that effect to me is nearly as important as picture because most of my friends don't even know you can watch tv on a projector.

Any issues on these screens with waves, and if so, any bright ideas on self installed tensioning?

#105 ·
Everyone must be enjoying their screens too much to reply, I guess it is a good thing. Anyway, I am about to purchase my 135" screen in a few days so speak now or forever hold your peace!

My main concern is if there are any waves on the monoprice screens?

thanks

#106 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by imromo24 /forum/post/0

Everyone must be enjoying their screens too much to reply, I guess it is a good thing. Anyway, I am about to purchase my 135" screen in a few days so speak now or forever hold your peace!

My main concern is if there are any waves on the monoprice screens?

thanks

Make sure you break the silence and let us know what you think of yours!

#108 ·
How is the adjustable stop?. Does it adjust the "full open" or do I have to adjust the stop every time I use the screen.

I am thinking of getting a 135" (or 150") and then adjusting the stop so I have an electric 2.35:1 screen.

#109 ·
I ordered the 135" because of the price and the shipping was even less than several other places. And after five "well paid for" days of traveling across country it is on time for delivery tomorrow.

#111 ·
Ok, I got a call from UPS, because my address shares with a neighboring city, they got the delivery mixed up, not monoprices fault. But I must say the packaging they sent it in was pretty pathetic. However, for 50$ less than the other sites for delivery, it really didn't matter because the casing is metal, the screen rolls up inside, and it was in a plastice bag to keep dry. The box was mangled but the case and screen are fine.

Going to have to figure out some magic to hang it up though, definately no parts or instructions for a ceiling mount, but I don't think it will be difficult because the whole 135" screen and case only weighs 33lbs.

I am going to read around here first to find someone elses install post I saw once and report back later in the week.

#112 ·

Quote:
The easiest way I have found to install the RF receiver to the projection screen is to splice the two cables together. Here is the procedure.

1. Cut the cable that is hardwired to the screen above the toggle switch so that you are removing the toggle switch and the AC plug from the screen.

2. Strip back the outer jacket for the remaining cable. Inside you will find 4 wires. They are Red, Black, White and Green. On the reciever unit for the remote you will also find 4 wires. They are Red, Blue, Brown and Yellow/Green.

3. Strip the jackets from the wires on the screen side to expose the bare wires.

4. Connect the screen wires to the remote wires as follows. I found screw-on wire connector nuts to be the easiest method.

The Red wire on the reciever to the Black wire comming from the screen.

The Blue wire on the reciever to the Red wire comming from the screen.

The Brown wire on the reciever to the White wire comming from the screen.

Yellow/Green wire on the reciever to the Green wire comming from the screen.

5. I used zip ties to bind the jacket of the cables together to keep them from pulling on the connections.

Once everythings connnected, plug it in and give it a try.

From the monoprice site for the remote control that you buy separately.

#113 ·

Quote:

Going to have to figure out some magic to hang it up though, definately no parts or instructions for a ceiling mount, but I don't think it will be difficult because the whole 135" screen and case only weighs 33lbs.

Yes I quoted myself...but after further review, there are holes on the same bracket used for a wall mount ( on a balanced centerline of the case). I will put an anchor in the ceiling joist and wire to an s hook and hang with these holes provided. They are sturdy. and again, the whole thing only weighs 33lbs-ish.

#115 ·
I used 6" J-hooks and took it as tight to the ceiling as possible (6" because of the 5" drop in the tile) I had to bridge the floor (ceiling in basement) joist with a 2x4 to get the right length and extra depth on the J-bolt. I used gorrila glue between the new 2x4 and the joist as well as nails. It is very sturdy. Then I attached 3/16 horse shoe? ring that has a screw close clasp (if someone knows what this is called please post). Then I drilled the same diameter hole through the ceiling tile, inserted the Jbolt and screwed it to the new 2x4 member. Very sturdy.

Total Cost: $35, but I bought a nice pair of wire strippers for $24 so it was actually $11 to mount. (and easy)

#116 ·
The wire diagram for the wireless remote mentioned on their site works and is simple.

The screen rolls down smoothly, rather quietly and very professional like. I did about twenty tests because it is so cool.

The following are my impressions, I have not seen many other screens, this is my first.

Cons:

1. the material is very thin (definately keep it rolled up when not in use) looks like it may dent or wrinkle if abused.

2. the screen has waves that are visible with no projector on and side lighting, I don't think they will be noticed with the projector on but I don't have a proj yet.

Pros:

1. Professional looking and operation.

2. screen rolls up wirelessly with separate remote (recommended if plan to use roll up)

3. Wall and ceiling mountable (with Screw hooks, and 3/16" clasp purchased on your own)

4. Black border is paint but is very straight and even.

5. Looks to have good reflective properities (no proj tests yet)

6. Sturdy case and motor sounds sufficient.

7. For half the price of the lowest end screen I could find, I can't imagine needing to pay for anything else.

8.It can be stopped at any height with the stop button. However, it does only have 3" of black at top. My 7'6" basement is perfect for the drop and 135" screen.

I did not take it apart and do not plan to.

I don't see a reason to mount a new screen or paint the screen but I imagine it can be done, but may stress the motor??

I don't know if hanging weights to try and tension the screen would either work or be necessary. Therre is a heavy bar at the end of the screen that holds it still and staight.

#117 ·
Alright, I still haven't gotten a projector....but I don't plan to until July...so every once in a while I go downstairs into the basment and push the wireless remote that I screwed in to the post behind the couch......and then just watch the screen go down and then up. It fits perfectly on the left end of a 20' wall that is approximately 7'-6" tall........The 3" or so drop plus the case plus the hooks in the ceiling as well as about 1' of space between the bottom of the screen and the floor is a perfect fit and looks very nice.

I have the 135" monoprice 16x9

#118 ·

Quote:

I don't know if hanging weights to try and tension the screen would either work or be necessary. Therre is a heavy bar at the end of the screen that holds it still and staight.

I did check if pulling on the bottom of the screen to simulate hanging some weights from the bottom pole across the screen .....it definately removed the waves.....So, I think that will be what I will do if there are any visible waves when I get my projector.

#119 ·
Well, apparently there are people ordering the 135", because it just went out of stock in the last week...and I found out when I went to place my order this morning.

A question for those who have the 135 - how big is the case (L, W, H) , and is the screen centered in length of the case or is it offset to one side (and by how much)? I will be placing blocking in the ceiling for the sheetrockers to cut to this week and had hoped to have the actual using in hand.

#120 ·
I saw that, good thing I jumped in when I did, I think I got the last one, sorry!

The dimensions of the 135" are :

125 1/2" in total length outside end to outside end.

3 3/4" is the total outside to outside dimension of the case HEIGHT (including mounting plate attached.)

3" is the total outside to outside dimension of the case depth from front to back.

The screen is centered on the case with about 2 to 2 1/4" from the screen edge to the edge of the case.

The mounting hardware is exactly 125 1/2" apart. A 3/16" schackle and a J-hook worked perfectly to ceiling mount.

#121 ·
Thanks for the info. It looks like that's just what I needed - nice and compact. I've only got 2" from the bottom of the joists to the face of drywall on the ceiling, so a 3-3/4" height would minimize the trim work below the ceiling level. My joists are perp to the screen, and I'm not willing to get a bunch of joist repair kits to fully recess the screen - I just don't trust that they'd work well enough for that many in a row.

Guess I'll have to see if I can call Sean and bug him about when he'll get the next batch in.

#123 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by uabcar /forum/post/0

Was thinking of getting one of the 108" screens but the shipping to OH is $115. Is that right. I was expecting it to be way less given all the talk about it in the thread. You all must live on west coast I guess.

Maybe I'm missing something?

The item is oversized, so it get's a very large surcharge added to the shipping.

#124 ·
I tried some other places with screens and shipping was even more. Add another brand to your shopping cart somewhere and check out their shipping. I know it was a shocker, but I guess when you buy a $1200 screen, $100 for shipping isn't bad, but a $200 screen an $100 shipping seems just plain wrong, but it was true. Oh, well I guess.

#125 ·
Again, sorry for buying the last 135" screen.

I got everything hooked up last night with the epson 400 and with the lights off running HD from Direc TV I could not believe my eyes...

If you are looking for a cheap way to project onto something and you have a dark room, this is definately a no brainer. However, if you have some or alot of ambient light and a bigger budget, going with a higher gain screen is recommended. If you don't ever want to replace the screen you may also want to invest in a better screen...but I also plan on replacing the projector which will be much easier in the future, hence the reason I went to monoprice. The future projectors will not need a grey screen for contrast, will not need gain for brightness, how do I know? just 'cause.

#126 ·

Quote:

If you are looking for a cheap way to project onto something and you have a dark room, this is definately a no brainer. .......................

............... The future projectors will not need a grey screen for contrast, will not need gain for brightness, how do I know? just 'cause.

Mostly true, but the lead in time where the majority will be able to afford the PJs that can do all that without sacrificing something along the way will be long enough that most will not want to opt in to getting a screen that will leave them wanting something better for even a 2 year stretch. Choosing the right screen isn't hard, and need not be expensive, Mfg or DIY offerings that fit both those criteria abound, and any one of several popular choices can and should adapt to things getting better on the PJ front, yet still make the "entry level" image from a budget PJ look good enough to warrant expressions like; "Does it get any better? And if so, will I really notice or care?"

It's always a tough call, but as you point out, when it's an inexpensive one to consider the choice can come a lot easier.

One thing IS certain. The multitude of available PJ and Screen choices just keeps getting larger, and less expensive due to the demand by the "Everyman" for the "Big Picture".

I remember (2002) on this Forum, and on "PJs over $3500" when there was a decided elitist attitude about Front Projection, and if you questioned the availability of expense/performance vs the need for value/performance, then you were told that perhaps you were looking in the wrong place and at te wrong Display application. That, and that Front Projection "wasn't" a mass market/mass appeal sort of thing.

Seems like that was sorta a myopic viewpoint considering what we see happening all around us nowadays, so I gotta say;

Told 'em so!

'cause I did.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.