Has anyone tried the new Monoprice screens? - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 259 Old 05-22-2007, 07:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the info. It looks like that's just what I needed - nice and compact. I've only got 2" from the bottom of the joists to the face of drywall on the ceiling, so a 3-3/4" height would minimize the trim work below the ceiling level. My joists are perp to the screen, and I'm not willing to get a bunch of joist repair kits to fully recess the screen - I just don't trust that they'd work well enough for that many in a row.

Guess I'll have to see if I can call Sean and bug him about when he'll get the next batch in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 259 Old 05-23-2007, 06:17 PM

Was thinking of getting one of the 108" screens but the shipping to OH is $115. Is that right. I was expecting it to be way less given all the talk about it in the thread. You all must live on west coast I guess.

Maybe I'm missing something?
post #123 of 259 Old 05-23-2007, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uabcar View Post

Was thinking of getting one of the 108" screens but the shipping to OH is $115. Is that right. I was expecting it to be way less given all the talk about it in the thread. You all must live on west coast I guess.

Maybe I'm missing something?

The item is oversized, so it get's a very large surcharge added to the shipping.
post #124 of 259 Old 05-23-2007, 08:10 PM
Advanced Member

I tried some other places with screens and shipping was even more. Add another brand to your shopping cart somewhere and check out their shipping. I know it was a shocker, but I guess when you buy a $1200 screen, $100 for shipping isn't bad, but a $200 screen an $100 shipping seems just plain wrong, but it was true. Oh, well I guess.

Barry Bonds hit me 83 this year. Roethlisberger throw me 48 TD's the other year.
post #125 of 259 Old 07-04-2007, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Again, sorry for buying the last 135" screen.

I got everything hooked up last night with the epson 400 and with the lights off running HD from Direc TV I could not believe my eyes...

If you are looking for a cheap way to project onto something and you have a dark room, this is definately a no brainer. However, if you have some or alot of ambient light and a bigger budget, going with a higher gain screen is recommended. If you don't ever want to replace the screen you may also want to invest in a better screen...but I also plan on replacing the projector which will be much easier in the future, hence the reason I went to monoprice. The future projectors will not need a grey screen for contrast, will not need gain for brightness, how do I know? just 'cause.

Barry Bonds hit me 83 this year. Roethlisberger throw me 48 TD's the other year.
post #126 of 259 Old 07-04-2007, 08:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by imromo24 View Post

If you are looking for a cheap way to project onto something and you have a dark room, this is definately a no brainer. .......................

............... The future projectors will not need a grey screen for contrast, will not need gain for brightness, how do I know? just 'cause.

Mostly true, but the lead in time where the majority will be able to afford the PJs that can do all that without sacrificing something along the way will be long enough that most will not want to opt in to getting a screen that will leave them wanting something better for even a 2 year stretch. Choosing the right screen isn't hard, and need not be expensive, Mfg or DIY offerings that fit both those criteria abound, and any one of several popular choices can and should adapt to things getting better on the PJ front, yet still make the "entry level" image from a budget PJ look good enough to warrant expressions like; "Does it get any better? And if so, will I really notice or care?"

It's always a tough call, but as you point out, when it's an inexpensive one to consider the choice can come a lot easier.

One thing IS certain. The multitude of available PJ and Screen choices just keeps getting larger, and less expensive due to the demand by the "Everyman" for the "Big Picture".

I remember (2002) on this Forum, and on "PJs over $3500" when there was a decided elitist attitude about Front Projection, and if you questioned the availability of expense/performance vs the need for value/performance, then you were told that perhaps you were looking in the wrong place and at te wrong Display application. That, and that Front Projection "wasn't" a mass market/mass appeal sort of thing.

Seems like that was sorta a myopic viewpoint considering what we see happening all around us nowadays, so I gotta say;

Told 'em so!

'cause I did.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #127 of 259 Old 07-04-2007, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

Certainly, that elitist attitude extended for alot of people when they were the early adopters of Rear Projection Widescreen TV's...then within months it seemed like everyone had them and there were dozens to choose from. My first RP was a battle between Mits and Hitachi, there wasn't much else, but because I was spending $2k or more I researched the daylights out of the two of them. Then within no time everyone who came over to see my 46" TV owned a 56" TV 3 months later at the same price. Although I own an 26" LCD, it is in the kitchen, and I am glad I got to skip the whole plasma LCD 60" and above fiasco as I call it.

It is a common feeling to want to be better than the next guy, human nature, that is why we advance...but the inevitable is that everyone will catch up and what was once special to a chosen few is commonplace (and it is that chosen few that feel slighted because they spent countless hours doing research and shopping and testing and viewing that may sometimes feel like it is not fair that 1 year later anyone can walk into BB and buy a nice picture large screen TV for half the price)

The word is bound to get out that Digital Projectors are sweet, word spreads fast. All those guys with the huge $20k CRT's have great pictures sure, but now joe schmoe can spend $800 and be completely satisfied. So, to make this sound like it has anything to do with mono price screens at ~$300...there are a lot of under paid hard working folks that want the luxuries of overpaid hardworking folks that may not realize that you can simply project onto a blank wall with no screen at all, no problem...but if you want some flare to your room with an electronic motorized screen you can come here for some reasurrance that your $300 won't be wasted with something resembling a scam. I wish I had an extra $2200 for a diamond coated glass bead blah blah, but I have the 135" screen and it works.

post #128 of 259 Old 07-04-2007, 09:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

I could type 20,000 words (...and have....) and not express it any more throughly or correctly.

The phrase many have adopted applies here most of all.

"It's all good".

.......feels good just to say it.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #129 of 259 Old 07-04-2007, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

post #130 of 259 Old 01-05-2008, 07:55 AM

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but is this type of screen suitable to have the center speaker behind the screen? I want this to drop over my alcove where I'll all my equipment and a center speaker.
post #131 of 259 Old 01-05-2008, 11:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

No, not if your striving for non-muted, distortion free sound. Only a AT screen with a porosity index that allows sound pressure to pass through essentially non hendered can satisfy those with discriminating hearing.

Having said that, I can also add that I have heard several installations where Center Channel speakers with exceptional dispersion, and that were located behind retractable screens, do quite well enough to satisfy most everyone who heard them.

However, the issues has always been for many Stereophiles to NEVER accommodate "well enough". When accurate measurements are taken that show even slight DB attenuation and frequency skewing due to the lack of performance by even "accoustically transparent" screens, even then a Hue & Cry is raised. Ruben's SMX material arose out of the need for AVS's AT advocates to have "better than..." performance out of a AT material.

So it boils down to one thing.....how high is/must be your satisfaction index?
Placement location behind the screen, the ability to use angular reflection, and the use of equalization can mitigate many, if not all the caveats you might run into in your situation. The fact that you want to or have to consider the use of a budget priced screen such as a Monoprice instead of a actual AT screen, Mfg. or DIY, is the real issue. If you have to go there, then go there and do your best to adapt what you have.

Good luck with all that though, and PM me if you want to discuss your situation in detail and explore your CC speaker positioning options. You might have options....then again you might be whipping the proverbial expired Equine.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #132 of 259 Old 01-10-2008, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitemage View Post

Does any one know if these screens support a 12 volt trigger?

Yes, it will take a 12 volt trigger. I just installed my 108" 16:9 screen in my bedroom, which replaced my old 4:3 7 foot diagonal Vidikron screen. I reused the trigger box from that old setup and worked well. Basically, you just match the 4 conductors (ground, neutral, up, down) to your 12V trigger. The screen is great, considering the price. The motor is a bit noisy, but hey!
post #133 of 259 Old 01-11-2008, 08:33 PM

Hi folks! Just received the 108" diag screen from monoprice. There were no instructions nor the supposed green plastic thing for adjusting drop. Any owners out there care to share some mounting tips?

We are planning to mount to our wall (drywall). We measured from center of each mounting hole on each end of the case (101", does this sound right?). We are concerned that because of the odd measurement, we won't be able to mount to our wall studs. Is the 22lbs case really okay to mount to the drywall (and not on studs)?

Also, what is this green plastic thingie supposed to be?
post #134 of 259 Old 01-11-2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuapao View Post

Hi folks! Just received the 108" diag screen from monoprice. There were no instructions nor the supposed green plastic thing for adjusting drop. Any owners out there care to share some mounting tips?

We are planning to mount to our wall (drywall). We measured from center of each mounting hole on each end of the case (101", does this sound right?). We are concerned that because of the odd measurement, we won't be able to mount to our wall studs. Is the 22lbs case really okay to mount to the drywall (and not on studs)?

Also, what is this green plastic thingie supposed to be?

The green tool is to adjust how far the screen comes down. I believe you can only adjust a couple of inches one way or the other. The adjustment hole is in the rear. I mounted mine on top of a piece of wood plank that is mounted onto the studs because I needed to clear a mirror on the wall. At around 25lbs, you can use one of those metal drywall anchor screws and it should work fine since each anchor is rated for around 50 lbs.
post #135 of 259 Old 01-11-2008, 08:58 PM

I also have the 108-inch screen. No way would I mount it to drywall only. If it were me, I would use a long thin strip of wood. Mount that strip of wood to the studs, and then screw the screen into the wood strip.

I also didn't get the green thingie. No big deal, I have never had the need for it.
post #136 of 259 Old 01-13-2008, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Guys, post some pics if you could. I'd like to see the top as I would like to mount it hanging from the ceiling. Also, any problems with rollup or does it sit flush?

Know when to hold'em, know when to fold'em....keep'em tight, or its my money tonight...
post #137 of 259 Old 01-13-2008, 09:21 PM

Anyone, know the net weight of the 135" unit?
post #138 of 259 Old 01-14-2008, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afyuen View Post

The green tool is to adjust how far the screen comes down. I believe you can only adjust a couple of inches one way or the other. The adjustment hole is in the rear. I mounted mine on top of a piece of wood plank that is mounted onto the studs because I needed to clear a mirror on the wall. At around 25lbs, you can use one of those metal drywall anchor screws and it should work fine since each anchor is rated for around 50 lbs.

Thanks for the tips! Will post pics of our install as we go along!
post #139 of 259 Old 01-14-2008, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heberjoe View Post

I also have the 108-inch screen. No way would I mount it to drywall only. If it were me, I would use a long thin strip of wood. Mount that strip of wood to the studs, and then screw the screen into the wood strip.

I also didn't get the green thingie. No big deal, I have never had the need for it.

Thanks for your input. I think we just attached to the drywall, so far, it's still up there!
post #140 of 259 Old 01-14-2008, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threecard View Post

Guys, post some pics if you could. I'd like to see the top as I would like to mount it hanging from the ceiling. Also, any problems with rollup or does it sit flush?

Here's our setup. Hope these pics help.

post #141 of 259 Old 01-14-2008, 07:43 PM
Advanced Member

Nice Kua...are u pleased with it? Does it look like it can be ceiling mounted?

Know when to hold'em, know when to fold'em....keep'em tight, or its my money tonight...
post #142 of 259 Old 01-14-2008, 07:53 PM

Quote:

That other hole perpendicular to the wall mounting hole can be used with a hook for ceiling mounting

Looks like you did what I suggested, kua, about using the drywall anchor
post #143 of 259 Old 01-14-2008, 07:58 PM
Advanced Member

Any waves in it at all? Thanks AF...I'd assume there is one on each side correct?

post #144 of 259 Old 01-14-2008, 08:22 PM

Quote:

Any waves in it at all? Thanks AF...I'd assume there is one on each side correct?

Yes, the ceiling mounting holes are on each side. Speaking of waves, do you mean irregularity of screen material as to cause differences in brightness on the screen? Well, I haven't seen any. In fact, it was much more uniform than the old expensive 4:3 Vidikron screen I replaced which threw an image with uneven horizontal "banding" which at first I thought it was due to my projector.
post #145 of 259 Old 01-14-2008, 08:27 PM
Advanced Member

waves= if it drops perfectly straight down or has that ripple look to it at all.

post #146 of 259 Old 01-14-2008, 08:38 PM

Quote:

waves= if it drops perfectly straight down or has that ripple look to it at all.

Looks fairly uniformly straight down to me, although I'm not a true screen connoisseur... I just know that the uniformity issue with my old Vidikron disappeared after I installed this screen...
post #147 of 259 Old 01-14-2008, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the info!

post #148 of 259 Old 01-15-2008, 02:46 AM

how well does this screen work with the vw50?
post #149 of 259 Old 01-15-2008, 01:09 PM

Quote:

Yes, I'm pleased with it, though I knew I was looking for a low-cost option, so my standards aren't that high.

It has slight waviness but it does not appear to affect the projected image. I have more of a problem with ambient lighting in our room, not the screen's fault. I am still working it out in my head how to minimize the problem without making the living room look totally ridiculous. Otherwise, we shall have to bear until we move on to our next home and have another chance to set up a dedicated HT room.

Even if we had stayed in our previous home with its recently finished basement and HT room, I would still buy the monoprice screen.

Good luck!
post #150 of 259 Old 01-15-2008, 06:11 PM
Advanced Member

I think it should mount just fine with the proper drywall anchors.

Mine has slight waves that are almost only noticeable when the credits are rolling or when ambient light comes in directly from the side. But I am not a screen connoisseur either and don't know if it is typical. But for 135" screen I doubt you can prevent the little bit of waving. I however do not notice much or mind it the very little I do notice. (couple hundred hours of use and still works great, goes up and down remotely after every use)

see my mount:
LL
LL
LL

Reply Screens

Tags
Monoprice , Projection Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page