Has anyone tried the new Monoprice screens? - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 259 Old 01-20-2008, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question for anyone who has the 135" screen. What is the height of the screen (including the casing) when it's fully let down. I've read every post here and i don't think anyone posted the info. I finished my theater room about 3 months ago and I'm ready to start buying and setting the equipment up.
The width of my room is 190", but as you can see in my pic; from the top of the cabinet i built to the ceiling is 78", 75" to the bottom of the crown molding. I want to make sure I have enough room for the screen to let down, or I will just get a smaller screen.

T.I.A for you help.
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 259 Old 01-20-2008, 01:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 250
The height of the screen surface itself is 73", so when you include a minimum of 2" top & bottom for the Black Boarder, your at 77". You'll be OK with 125" diagonal though. But to be certain of your ability to center the screen assembly (...that would look best in you excellent application...) between the Crown and the Stage, you should be sure whatever screen you get has an adjustable Drop.

With what appears to be a dedicated Theater application, why the necessity of a retractable Screen?

..........will you have a big "Patriots" logo on the wall behind the screen? If so...then that's OK.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #153 of 259 Old 01-20-2008, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

With what appears to be a dedicated Theater application, why the necessity of a retractable Screen?

..........will you have a big "Patriots" logo on the wall behind the screen? If so...then that's OK.

There will be drapes going across and each side of the stage. The drapes will cover the screen's case. My wife wants to use the room for social events, so she would like to place pictures on that wall. (not a Patriots logo ) A drop down screen might be ideal as a solution for both theater room and social gathering room. I will not have traditional theater seats.; I ordered a couch and love seats with cup holders. There will also be pub type table and chairs in each back corner.

The room is 190x270
post #154 of 259 Old 03-01-2008, 05:36 PM

I want one of these, but my I think my picture size will be too small. I can only get 10 ft of throw distance with my IN72, giving me only a 63"x35" (72" diag) picture. Any easy way of adding masking material to one of these to shape my picture? If not, can anyone recommend other screens that might fit the bill (probably manual because other electrics would be too expensive; I have emails out to Elite and Da-lite for info)?

Thanks,
Steve
post #155 of 259 Old 03-03-2008, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member

check tiger direct

Barry Bonds hit me 83 this year. Roethlisberger throw me 48 TD's the other year.
post #156 of 259 Old 03-04-2008, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strells View Post

I want one of these, but my I think my picture size will be too small. I can only get 10 ft of throw distance with my IN72, giving me only a 63"x35" (72" diag) picture. Any easy way of adding masking material to one of these to shape my picture? If not, can anyone recommend other screens that might fit the bill (probably manual because other electrics would be too expensive; I have emails out to Elite and Da-lite for info)?

Thanks,
Steve

You might try HTDepot.com. If you use their projection calculator for the Infocus Home IN72, it looks like you could zoom out to about 78 1/4" diagonal; their nominal 84" diagonal screen (they have manual and motorized), has an actual viewable area of 80" diagonal -- that pretty darn close if you really have a full 10' of throw from lens of projector.
I haven't bought from them yet but plan to soon and have read mostly good comments.
post #157 of 259 Old 03-07-2008, 05:45 PM

I just picked up the 100" 4:3 screen (60x80)which I will be using with my Panasonic pt-ax200u. I wanted a 92" 16:9 screen (45x80), but monoprice doens't carry one. However, they had the 100" 4:3 model, which is the same width. According to the monoprice website, the screen can be held at any length between full drop and all the way up, so i was thinking of masking the top 15" of the 4:3 screen with some black matte paint to match the existing black border. This would give me 92" 16:9 screen with a maximum border of 15" at the top.

I'll post pics when I'm finished with my install.

On a side note, make sure to check the packaging for the green tool.

I thought I didn't get one of the green tools used to adjust the drop of the screen. As I was tearing down the boxes that the screen came in, I found the green tool lying in the packaging. It would have been nice if they taped the tool to the screen with some strapping tape instead of just throwing it into the box loose.
post #158 of 259 Old 03-27-2008, 07:51 PM

How is the sound when raising or lowering the screen? Loud?
post #159 of 259 Old 03-27-2008, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

great thread! read the whole thing.
am considering the 108" model.
and: bump!

edit-whew, maybe not at almost $130 s&h.
post #160 of 259 Old 03-28-2008, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemeSlider View Post

How is the sound when raising or lowering the screen? Loud?

It's definitely not quiet. It just sounds like a motorized screen going up or down. But the sound is actually kind of fun to hear when it is time to watch the movie.
post #161 of 259 Old 03-28-2008, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westgate View Post

great thread! read the whole thing.
am considering the 108" model.
and: bump!

edit-whew, maybe not at almost $130 s&h.

I have the 108" model. I love it. When I bought mine 14 months ago, the shipping & handling was only $30.66. My total shipped price was $151.61.
post #162 of 259 Old 03-28-2008, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heberjoe View Post

I have the 108" model. I love it. When I bought mine 14 months ago, the shipping & handling was only $30.66. My total shipped price was $151.61.

cool! guess i was 'a day late and a few bucks short'!
hows the pq?
post #163 of 259 Old 05-01-2008, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Just ordered 2 135 inch screens. Fgt was 168.00 via truck. Seems the truck rate is the same no matter how many you order. So find a friend and get a few.

Sailn...
post #164 of 259 Old 05-08-2008, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

Well just mounted my 135 only to find out it is a 150?!?!? No really a problem since I expected to make some kind of masking system for the tup of the screen when watching scoped films.

The thing is HUGE. Motor drive is very smooth and I will be installing 2 relays so that I can remotely control the screen via my msc-400. I have not seen any waves in the screen. Image quality is quite good with my Z5, only issue is that the projector is 23 feet from the screen, which requries quite a bit of zoom. As the Z5 isn't a light cannon light control is very important. I have found that I can not use the econo bulb settings, not that I really care, when the bulb goes I'll get a new projector.

My biggest complaint is that the screen is outgasing VOC and smells. My wife, who is with foal, isn't real happy, but i assume that the smell with go away someday.

I haven't decided if I should call monoprice about the screen being the wrong size. What are they going to do? It was $168 fgt, can't imagine that they would want it back and then ship me out another one.

Sailn...
post #165 of 259 Old 05-08-2008, 04:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Salin,

The wrong size screen is the wrong size.....period. Unless your screen, even at 135" diagonal, has the appropriate amount of gain, your resulting image will be nothing like it should / could be.

At a 23' foot throw, and even with 1.3 gain, the best the Z5 can muster is 9 ft Lamberts. Drop 10' of that throw and you'd have 13 ft Lambeex calibrates rts, a figure that would be more in keeping with providing a vibrant image.

But at 23' @ 150" diagonal w/1.3 gain you'd get only 7 ft Lamberts and at 1.0 gain just 6 Ft Lamberts.

That is no figure to settle for by any stretch, and the mix-up with your shipped screen excalibrates what is already a very poor match-up choice.

Myself, I'm a stanch proponent of "BIG"...and not just "Big" but BIG

But you HAVE to do "BIG" right, or you wind up with nothing but a big disappointment. I respect anyone's desire to get "The BIG Picture". I also acknowledge that for many such, seeing BIG the first time, and without a standard for measure to judge against, BIG can look pretty darn spectacular even when it's dimmer by 1/2 than it really should be.

But in your case, at about 500- to 700 Hrs on the Z5's bulb, you'll be watching an image that is dimmer that it is now on Low Lamp. Not something you want to deal with.

Monoprice is no slouch about correcting a mix-up. Don't wonder "IF" they will issue a Return Tag and re-ship a smaller screen.............EXPECT IT!

They made a BIG mistake, and it will have a very negative impact on your viewing pleasure. But they are after all a Company that sells screens "you" order, and after checking your past Posting back to 01-01-08, I don't see where you inquired or considered the size selection of your screen as relates to your PJ's output potential.

That Sir, is almost criminal on a Forum where the is so much good advice available from so many with bona fide experience. Not the first time it's happened though, I must say.

But Monoprice has given you a reprieve! They messed up! Especially if you have an invoice that states you were to receive a 135"er instead of 150" So use the opportunity to do it right. Have 'em recall that thing, and re-order a smaller screen. If you think it's possible, relocate your PJ as close as possible. Even at 135" diagonal, the Z5 can be as close as 18' (...and still be only midway through it's 2.0 Zoom ratio....) and then it will deliver at least 8 ft. Lamberts @ 1.0 gain ...... and 10 ft. Lamberts @ 1.3 gain. (all on "Normal lamp") That is still not "stellar" but significantly brighter than 6 ft. Lamberts @ 150" diagonal (122" would be "Mo Bedder" still. )

I can't know why your shooting from the next County....you've posted nothing to that effect. Size as viewed from a distance becomes the same to look at as a smaller screen viewed from closer in. The Z5 has enough resolution, and a smooth enough image that you can crowd in as close as a 1.2 ratio of Screen/Seating Location.

Some of the above may seem slightly critical, but it's all well meant, and believe this; few others will advocate "SIZE" as I do (...and have done...) But it has to be done right or it's not really worth doing IMHO.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #166 of 259 Old 05-09-2008, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

I am actually not using all of the 150 inch screen. I am only unrolling it to 135 16:9. I have found that the image is quite bright, and am happy with it. I used to have a 108 graywolf II ( from my condo, used with another pj ) and found that even on econo mode it was VERY bright.

My real issues are:

The masking for the upper edge of the screen, obviously there isn't any.

How to set the stops so the screen only opens to 135 inch 16:9 area.

The fact that there is a whole bunch of screen left on the drum isn't really a problem.

Infact, I would even consider adding masking to the bottom to cover the extra white area.

Monoprice has been responsive and I'll report back as to the final result.

Sailn...
post #167 of 259 Old 05-23-2008, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

Situation has been resolved, they are shipping me a new 135 16x9 screen. I am keeping the 150 at a deeply discounted price. It turns out that someone I know was going to buy one from monoprice, so in the end everything is good.

After about 10 days left unrolled the screen no longer smells like pvc (stinky) and I have been very happy with it. If I get some time this weekend I will wire some relays up to the switch so that I can control it from my msc-400.

All in all, I am happy.

Sailn...
post #168 of 259 Old 05-23-2008, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

MM, to answer your questions.

1) Prior to getting the screen, I zoomed the image out to the desired new size and already knew what image I would be getting. ( Used an old 1.0 gain portable screen ) In full light control, I am fine with it. When I replace this projector with one that doesn't use light bulbs, I might rethink things...

2) She Who Must Be Obeyed, did not like the idea of a ceiling mount. (16 ft ceilings ) Nor did I. Didn't want to run drill thru 10 joists ( 4x15 14 inch on center, yea real old house) and didn't want to deal with cutting more holes in my perfect plaster ceilings. The rooms is 27 feet long ( including a large bay ) The screen is hung in front of the bay ( almost like a proscenium ). The projector is sitting on top of the rack which is located on the back wall.

3) front row of seating is now 12 feet ( a little more that 1.2 x width )

Sailn...
post #169 of 259 Old 05-23-2008, 09:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Salin,

Sounds like you "Got'er done".

I understand now your reasonings and set-up, and of course you got to do what you got to do.....especially if "she" tells you what that is.

The Z5 has a bright (...and very acceptable...) image if you don't calibrate it down to a perfect D65. Shoot, with sport programming, many punch up "Dynamic" and enjoy an image that is ....well, Dynamic.

However, and as I'm sure you already know, you'll gain a small increase in overall Bulb Life by using "Low Lamp". But.....the Bulb will still dim to 40-50% output by 500 hrs. If that "dimming" happens over a gradual period of time you might not hardly take heed at all. But LCD PJs run a little hotter by nature, and often the dimming process is excalibrated by such temps and of a sudden, down goes the brightness. It's all about ventilation, and only a few PJs fail to run cooler than when they are table mounted. If and when that (sudden dimming) happens, you'll have nothing to lose by switching to a brighter setting and/or adjusting CR/Gamma to compensate.

Having a Light Controlled environment is by far your biggest advantage.

Enjoy that big picture! Hopefully your Bud will match up that 150" screen with something like a Panny 200 U.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #170 of 259 Old 05-23-2008, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

He has a sanyo plv-wf10 with a nice lens...This IS A LIGHT CANNON 4000ANSI lumens!!!

I expect that he will have little trouble viewing a nice image in a light room.

Sailn...
post #171 of 259 Old 07-04-2008, 11:29 AM

Does anyone know if this screen can be remote controlled by the 12 volt on/off feed from my Amp? I wonder if 800 lumens in enough for this screen (135" wide screen?)
post #172 of 259 Old 07-29-2008, 12:55 AM

whats the general take on these screens?

good/bad/so&so?
post #173 of 259 Old 07-29-2008, 09:32 AM

After a year and a half of use, I'm very happy with my screen from Monoprice. No regrets at all.
post #174 of 259 Old 07-29-2008, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heberjoe View Post

After a year and a half of use, I'm very happy with my screen from Monoprice. No regrets at all.

awesome! that's good to know

are these screens paintable?
post #175 of 259 Old 07-30-2008, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

Had mine 1 year now and happy also.

Not sure how to tell if its paintable personally...

Barry Bonds hit me 83 this year. Roethlisberger throw me 48 TD's the other year.
post #176 of 259 Old 08-26-2008, 07:39 PM

I saw a few posts suggesting Toggle Bolts might work for wall mounting, but did any of you guys use them?????? I'm having a problem deciding on whether or not to mount this to an additional board that's secured to the studs, or just use toggle bolts (or if anyone has another idea I'm all ears).

Someone said this projector is 30lbs. The toggle bolts I have are rated at 35lbs; however, with the projector going up and down I'm not sure they're a safe choice (but I have little to no mechanical skills, so PLEASE tell me if I'm wrong).

Thanks
post #177 of 259 Old 08-27-2008, 11:21 PM

I just mounted it to a 2" piece of oak to be safe. It looks pretty good; however, I wish I had a solution for the screen power cord. It really sticks out...

post #178 of 259 Old 08-28-2008, 09:25 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDel View Post

I just mounted it to a 2" piece of oak to be safe. It looks pretty good; however, I wish I had a solution for the screen power cord. It really sticks out...

I have no idea if its up to code, but how about trying shrink wrap tubing. It would be black and slip over the cord and then you would heat it up and it would shrink to fit the cord. You would need to find some in bulk so it would be the length of the cord.

Warning. I've never tried this, but it might work. You could test a small section.

==Cocophone==
post #179 of 259 Old 08-28-2008, 02:26 PM

That's a GREAT idea.... much better then what I was thinking (black electric tape). I might even put up some velvet curtains if it's not to expensive.

Thanks for the idea....
post #180 of 259 Old 09-03-2008, 10:14 PM

I currently am set up for a 100" image, but am considering buying a 135" screen in case I decide to move to another room which will accommodate a 135" image/screen.
In the meantime, I would project the 100" image on the 135" screen.
Is this use technically acceptable? What should be done with the excess screen size exceding the 100" image? e.g., Mask it with drapes?
Reply Screens

Tags
Monoprice , Projection Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page