Has anyone tried the new Monoprice screens? - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 259 Old 04-21-2010, 09:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I guess these are the folks who make the motors in these new monoprice screens.

www.somfysystems.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 259 Old 05-02-2010, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phairest View Post

I'm also curious about the new Monoprice 'Somfy' screens- anyone tried one?

I'd really like to know too. There must be some folks out here who have tried their current line of screens. Specs lookk pretty good on them.
post #213 of 259 Old 05-25-2010, 03:10 PM

Im curious too
post #214 of 259 Old 06-05-2010, 01:00 AM

Looks like the new ones with the Somfy motors also have a much larger drop.

My room, should I choose to go full HT in it, will be 100% pitch dark, so I am thinking this is a good area to go cheap and still be OK. Less money spent on this stuff means more to spend on speakers... Yay. Count me among the crowd awaiting more feedback on the newer screens.
post #215 of 259 Old 07-05-2010, 02:30 PM

I ordered and received the 120" 16:9 somfy screen last week. Install (suspended on ceiling joist) was a breeze. Mounting hardware for wall mount is included.

Case is black as advertised.

There are adjustments for the drop (default ~ 15", mine set to ~2 ") and retraction (had to adjust since default drop was adjusted).
Motor is quiet (my first screen so nothing to compare to).
You will need to air out the screen for a couple days to let the smell dissipate (definitely opened windows on the first day).

Sensor is located on the left of the screen (plug--wire--sensor--wire--screen). Remote is RF. Remote functions: up, stop, down, step down, step up.

Viewing the screen from the backside there definitely are ripples, doesn't really stand out from the front (I wasn't really looking for them). No ripples were seen when playing a movie.

Overall very pleased with the screen.

Question? Shoot away!

edit: it comes with the "hex" tool to adjust the drop, the drop adjustment is a PITA to get to. You need to bend the tool almost 90 degrees between screen and case (lucky the tool didn't snap) to get the adjustment hole.

PS:I don't visit this site very much but I will try and get back often.
post #216 of 259 Old 09-27-2010, 11:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Any other users with experience to share on the Somfy motor screens?

Bumping this old thread to scavenge more info.

===========

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #217 of 259 Old 09-30-2010, 06:11 PM

Mine has been for about a week now. I am very happy with it. Of course, it replaced a 20+-year old dalite pull down screen made for slides.

I built a 6" hardwood valance around it and it looks really great.

I installed Monoprice model 6582. i am attempting to attache pictures. This might take a few attempts.
LL
LL
post #218 of 259 Old 09-30-2010, 06:14 PM

How about that; it worked.

the picture on the left is with screen fully down. The one on the right is with screen up and you can see the Bali window coverings. When the screen is fully up, you can just see the bottem of the black case for the screen.

The valance fixed the WAF!

The black box at the top-left is the receiver for the remote. One would think it did not have to be so big; but I have gotten used to it.

I am very happy with this screen.

Monoprice needs to improve their packaging for this screen. The box arrived partially open, but no damage so I did not hassle them.
post #219 of 259 Old 09-30-2010, 10:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclejeff View Post

How about that; it worked.

the picture on the left is with screen fully down. The one on the right is with screen up and you can see the Bali window coverings. When the screen is fully up, you can just see the bottem of the black case for the screen.

The valance fixed the WAF!

The black box at the top-left is the receiver for the remote. One would think it did not have to be so big; but I have gotten used to it.

I am very happy with this screen.

Monoprice needs to improve their packaging for this screen. The box arrived partially open, but no damage so I did not hassle them.

Thanks for the pics, Unclejeff. I may consider one of these screens when the theatre room is ready.

===========

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #220 of 259 Old 04-21-2011, 07:29 AM

Liked: 11
Bumping this thread...looking at a few monoprice screens, particularly the recessed ones. I want to make the room appear as a normal Living Room that can 'transform' into a theater with a flick of a button.

Anyone have any of these...like...

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...=2#description

Thanks!!

Sony 55NX810
Yamaha RX-V675 7.2
PS4 & PS3
Polk Monitor 75T Speakers
Polk RC85i In-wall Speakers
Polk PSW505 12" Subwoofer
post #221 of 259 Old 04-26-2011, 05:29 PM

I just tweaked the color and brightness settings on my projector. I had used a da-lite screen and am have now been using the monoprice 6582 motorized projection screen. Increasing the brightness and color saturation made a very dramatic difference.

I am very pleased with the results. I should have done this some time ago.
post #222 of 259 Old 04-26-2011, 11:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
I ordered a Monoprice 120" HD White Tensioned Ceiling Mount screen today. Already shipped out and will be here on Thursday. I plan to get it set up this weekend and will take some pics and post my experience.

My Projector is a JVC RS-25U. I am currently projecting on a Da-Lite Cosmo Electrol with High Power material. I should have enough brightness for 1.0 gain in my room (projecting from about 14 feet) and this will get rid of much of the light wash on the ceiling (I hope). We'll see.

If anyone in the Sherwood, OR area is interested in my Da-lite screen, it will be for sale soon.

Shan

post #223 of 259 Old 04-27-2011, 04:52 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post

I ordered a Monoprice 120" HD White Tensioned Ceiling Mount screen today. Already shipped out and will be here on Thursday. I plan to get it set up this weekend and will take some pics and post my experience.

I was also looking at this screen, eager to hear how it works out for you.
post #224 of 259 Old 04-28-2011, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I'm also curious about this 16:9 screen that has masking bars for 2.35:1 that you manually pull into place: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...ormat=2&style=

Too bad there are no reviews of it yet...

Does anyone know of any other manufacturer's making a screen design like this as well?
post #225 of 259 Old 05-03-2011, 10:57 AM

I'm seriously considering the fixed-frame version of the new Monoprice screens... I am debating between Mono and Carada, and can't make up my mind -- any advice?

Rob

post #226 of 259 Old 05-03-2011, 10:24 PM
Advanced Member

Shan,

How does your screen look? Are you satisfied with the color reproduction? Are there any hot spots? Is the material relatively flat? How is the smell?

Thanks in advance.

Ed
post #227 of 259 Old 05-04-2011, 05:01 AM

I just bought the 150" white 1.0 gain 2.35:1 Fixed Screen 2 weeks ago and I am very happy with the screen...plus I guess I got lucky with $84 shipping, since I see now its $135...Its built well and very much worth the price

Dont mind the screen shot that looks crooked, its not, its just me holding the camera that way lol

If you buy it, USE IT!!!!
post #228 of 259 Old 05-04-2011, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveFred View Post

I just bought the 150" white 1.0 gain 2.35:1 Fixed Screen 2 weeks ago and I am very happy with the screen...plus I guess I got lucky with $84 shipping, since I see now its $135...Its built well and very much worth the price

Dont mind the screen shot that looks crooked, its not, its just me holding the camera that way lol

Steve (or Fred),

Would you mind getting a couple other pictures of the screen? I was wondering if you could take a picture of where the frame (and felt surround) meets the actual screen material. Hard to describe what I mean, but here are some images from Carada to show you what I mean. Is the Monoprice screen more like:

or is it more like:

Also, given you bought such a huge screen you should be able to say if there's any creases or bulges in the material... is it perfectly flat with good tension?

Also, have you tried shining light on the felt surround? Does it completely swallow the light?

Have you had any other screens in your home theater history to be able to compare this one to?

Last question -- how does the screen mount to the wall? Would you happen to have any pics of that?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I'm making a good move with the Monoprice screen... thanks so much!!

Rob

post #229 of 259 Old 05-04-2011, 06:48 AM

The screen comes right up to the edge of the frame, no space..

No creases or budges that I can see and its pretty good tension, not as much tension as my old 119" Da lite Cinema Contour(For sale by the way hehe), but its pretty flat....

They also mentioned in the directions, that it might have a few dents because of being in storage that would go away over a few weeks, but mine didn't have any..

It is the same felt material as my Da lite screen, it eats the light..I have watched 13 movies in the past 2 weeks

The screen mounts to the wall with 2 brackets...one for the top and one for the bottom and they are a lot thicker than my da lite brackets were..

I would asked all of the questions too, the more you know the better..

Now is this screen as good as lets say a $2-3,000 stewart or something or that nature, probably not...but for the $593.00 I spend, I should have done this long ago for the 2.35 aspect...and I am happy with the result...The screen is nice and the frame is solid..

post #230 of 259 Old 05-04-2011, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveFred View Post

The screen comes right up to the edge of the frame, no space..

No creases or budges that I can see and its pretty good tension, not as much tension as my old 119" Da lite Cinema Contour(For sale by the way hehe), but its pretty flat....

They also mentioned in the directions, that it might have a few dents because of being in storage that would go away over a few weeks, but mine didn't have any..

It is the same felt material as my Da lite screen, it eats the light..I have watched 13 movies in the past 2 weeks

The screen mounts to the wall with 2 brackets...one for the top and one for the bottom and they are a lot thicker than my da lite brackets were..

I would asked all of the questions too, the more you know the better..

Now is this screen as good as lets say a $2-3,000 stewart or something or that nature, probably not...but for the $593.00 I spend, I should have done this long ago for the 2.35 aspect...and I am happy with the result...The screen is nice and the frame is solid..

Steve,

You've made my mind up for me. Thank you so much for indulging.

So you'd say that the screen material quality (color reproduction, etc) is as good as your DaLite?

Rob

Rob

post #231 of 259 Old 05-04-2011, 07:08 AM

Hey Rob,

As for the colors, etc.....I would say its close to the da lite....exactly the same no..I would say a 9/10 if the da lite is a 10/10 and like I said its not as tight tension wise, but once its up, its flat for a 150" screen

I think I need a new bulb also, I have a 1,000 hrs on my projector and now that I am projecting an image a lot bigger(using the zoom method at the moment)...but even after saying all that, its a very nice screen and puts out a nice picture..

anyone thinking of going 2.35:1 (Zoom or A-lens) I say DO IT!!!

I am watching all my blu rays over one by one and its a whole new experience, even though I have had my theater up 7 years now

Steve

post #232 of 259 Old 05-04-2011, 09:07 AM

Hi Steve,

Quick question. Does the frame require the bottom wall support to keep the material tight, or is it just there to keep the frame secure on the wall? I've contemplated buying this screen and figuring out a way to replace the material with AT material. Plan was to hang it from the ceiling in front of my speakers, however, doing so I obviously can't install the lower bracket.

Thanks,

Jan
post #233 of 259 Old 05-04-2011, 09:14 AM

Hi Jan,

It doesn't need the bottom bracket to keep anything tight...the top bracket would easily support the frame/screen..but not sure if it would stay exactly straight up and down though without both brackets

Steve

post #234 of 259 Old 05-05-2011, 06:43 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I'm jumping over from the other monoprice thread like Steve. I picked up a 110" 2.35:1fixed frame screen from them on 5/3. Got it into the cab of my sleeper tractor without too much difficulty. My seating distance will be 10'. I probably could have fit a 120" screen into the truck and onto my wall, but their sizes in the 2.35 fixed frame series jump from 110" to 130" and no way can I handle 130" on my wall, let alone getting it into my truck. Don't know if I will have time to put it together this weekend, but Steve's time line of one hour is encouraging. My GF will be able to give me a hand. I certainly don't expect the quality of a Stewart, or even a Carada, but if Steve's 9/10 versus the Da-Lite is close then I will be more than satisfied. Picking it up in my big rig tractor and avoiding the $135 shipping charge was a big plus. I have a JVC RS40 that I will be matching it with.

Jim
post #235 of 259 Old 05-05-2011, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorjam View Post

I'm jumping over from the other monoprice thread like Steve. I picked up a 110" 2.35:1fixed frame screen from them on 5/3. Got it into the cab of my sleeper tractor without too much difficulty. My seating distance will be 10'. I probably could have fit a 120" screen into the truck and onto my wall, but their sizes in the 2.35 fixed frame series jump from 110" to 130" and no way can I handle 130" on my wall, let alone getting it into my truck. Don't know if I will have time to put it together this weekend, but Steve's time line of one hour is encouraging. My GF will be able to give me a hand. I certainly don't expect the quality of a Stewart, or even a Carada, but if Steve's 9/10 versus the Da-Lite is close then I will be more than satisfied. Picking it up in my big rig tractor and avoiding the $135 shipping charge was a big plus. I have a JVC RS40 that I will be matching it with.

Jim

Hey Jim,

Please let us all know what you think once you've got it all set up. You definitely have a nice projector to test it with!

Rob

post #236 of 259 Old 05-05-2011, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Will do.
post #237 of 259 Old 05-05-2011, 09:34 PM
Advanced Member

Sorry for the delay all.

Last Monday, I received my 120" Tensioned Ceiling-Mount screen from Monoprice. This was Product ID #7914 (http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2).

Shipping:
The projector was shipped via UPS Freight. It was very well packaged. The projector was boxed in tough cardboard box like the images of the perm screen above as well as being in an outer card board box. Apparently UPS is delivering lots of screens now because the driver struck up a conversation with my Dad who was here to receive it and came in to take a look at the theater/Family room.

Contents:
The package contains the screen itself, a plastic hex key to set the drop and retract levels, a remote control, and IR receiver (Black receiver, White (!) cord), and a 30 or so foot long 12 volt trigger cable. Also included is a decent manual...far from the best, but OK.

Design:
The case looks very nice. Not as nice as the DaLite that it is replacing but pretty good. It is gloss black with a tastefully dark grey Monoprice logo in the lower right corner on the front. They missed the mark on a few things, IMHO. The power cord comes out of the bottom of the screen case on the left and there is no way to reroute it out the back. While the cord coming from the bottom is great for wall mount, it is not idea for ceiling mount. By zip tying to the case in the back, it is mostly hidden. The 12-volt trigger port is behind a small plastic door on the left so the cable sticks out a bit when connected. Not bad for people like me where the left is towards the wall...might bug people whose theater is such that the left side of the screen is regularly visible.

Mounting:
This was by far the easiest ceiling mount projector I have ever installed. It shipped with two L-Brackets. Inside the frame of the L-Brackets are metal mounting plates with hooks that stick out and fit into slots that run along the entire length of the back of the screen case. Mounting is as simple as bolting the brackets to studs on the ceiling and then putting the screen onto the hooks. You can then move the screen left and right as needed. Nice that the brackets can mount along the entire length of the case so you can easily match them up to joists. Once mounted, there are screws on the bottom of each bracket that you tighten to lift the mounting plate and screen up into a position that locks it into the brackets. All told, it took us less than 30 minutes to unbox and install the screen. Record for me.

Screen material:
One word of warning: this screen stinks. I had see others mention it and, since my Dalite stunk too, I thought I knew what to expect. Wow, was I wrong. It smells bad. Plan on putting it down and opening windows to air out the room at least for 4-5 hours. It is bearable after that. Watching a movie with the fresh screen nearly gave me and the folks a head ache.

The screen material itself is pretty thin but seems robust. It is a very even finish. There is a large boarder around the edge, about 3 inches on all sides and 15 Inch for the drop on top. The tension system was not exactly what I expected. It is essentially small nylon strings that run through loops made of the same screen material down to a plastic spool on the bottom. You can turn the spool to tighten and loosen tension, as needed. Not sure what I expected, but this seemed a little less robust that I thought, but it works great, so whose to complain.

Screen performance:
First, I must say the Somphy motor is quiet. There is no comparison between it and my Dalite. I would say the Dalite was a noisy as a blender and this screen is about as loud as a ceiling fan. I was shocked how quiet it was.

The screen material I went with is 1.0 Gain HD White. So far it seems to provide a very even picture with zero hotspotting. I can find no flaws with the material. I also turned on my TV behind it and the picture did not bleed through so no worries that it is too thin.

I will try to take some pics and stuff this weekend (family is in town so it might be next week instead) and get them posted up here. I expect they will look very similar to SteveFred's since the material is likely the same.

Overall, I am very happy. I actually like this screen design better than the Dalite that I paid nearly twice the price for (much of that was for High Power fabric).

If anyone has any questions, let me know.

Thanks,

Shan

post #238 of 259 Old 05-05-2011, 09:51 PM

Thanks Shan. How was the image compared to the Da lite?
post #239 of 259 Old 05-05-2011, 10:03 PM
Advanced Member

Obviously the image is a bit dimmer, but it looks better now. The HP screen was great but as my projectors got brighter and brighter, the image got too bright. this is more like it should look. The image also seems to have better contrast, I am sure that is due to the lower gain. I also need to recalibrate the pj...the only change I have made so far is opening the iris from -15 to -11.

So far, I am very happy with the picture.

Shan

post #240 of 259 Old 06-25-2011, 11:37 AM

Hi, I just received the 106" HD ceiling retractable screen and want to be able to do some adjustments to the extesion/retraction settings. Reading the manual is pretty difficult (mostly Engrish) and there are vague warnings in the retraction section about retracting too far and damaging the screen. Unfortunately, it gives no real instructions on how far to turn the hex key to get what results. Can anyone who has (ianp maybe?) adjusted one of these screens give me some advice on making this adjustment? How far is too far, etc? Thanks.
Reply Screens

Tags
Monoprice , Projection Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page