AVS Forum banner

Has anyone tried the new Monoprice screens?

129K views 264 replies 125 participants last post by  gatorkeith 
#1 ·
Has anyone tried the new Monoprice screens? The prices for the electric models are really low. They are listed under new products on their site and they are mat white 1x1 screens. I wonder if they will do for screens what they did for cables and switches, keep the price low for quality products.

#2 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley /forum/post/0

Has anyone tried the new Monoprice screens? The prices for the electric models are really low. They are listed under new products on their site and they are mat white 1x1 screens. I wonder if they will do for screens what they did for cables and switches, keep the price low for quality products.

No, but I ordered one of their ceiling mounts this morning (no picture was provided, but it was really cheap). I will post a picture when it arrives.

John

#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley /forum/post/0

How do you spell waves?

#5 ·
I listed it in this section because of the price. The Electric model is really inxpensive and I thought it would make for a good DIY project. I would think that the people in the screen section would want to get a more expensive one. The DIY people seem to be looking for low cost alternatives.

#6 ·
Yeah the price is awesome, shipping is even crazier... $23!

The remote doesn't come with it, but can be added for $30. Sounds like a great candidate for Tiddler's screen painting method... or...

#7 ·
Prices on these screens are good but I wish they would have a simple picture showing what they looked like.

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tat2boy /forum/post/0

Prices on these screens are good but I wish they would have a simple picture showing what they looked like.

I called them and they will provide a picture if you ask, and they are working on getting one up on the site.

I asked what brand it is, and they said Monoprice... so someone is making it and rebranding it for them most likely. But the price is incredible and after seeing Tiddler's sucess, this is an excellent find. I have a totally different idea in mind for one though.

#10 ·
Well it's just under $60 shipping for me for a 108 inch screen . But the total price would still be under $200.

Although thats more than twice the price of the Wilson art laminate 5x8 sheet I just sent for that may be the simplest solution yet.

That is by far the cheapest screen price I have seen available.

#11 ·
I'm interested. I built a DIY blackout screen at my last house but disassembled it as the screen was too big at the new house. Been running on the white wall for the past few years.

I don't have a lot of time to be building a DIY with the baby running around these days. I love monoprice products.

#14 ·
This is the response I got when I asked for pictures of the product.

"Hi Jeremy,

The pictures should be available by the beginning of next week(for the 4:3 screen); it's been installed but now it's a matter of taking the pictures and updating the site.

Should you have any question, please feel free to email us.

Thank you for doing business with us.

Regards,

Solomon

Monoprice, Inc.

Tel. 909-989-6887

---------------------------------------------------------

Visit our online store at
www.monoprice.com "

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by havix /forum/post/0

This is the response I got when I asked for pictures of the product.

"Hi Jeremy,

The pictures should be available by the beginning of next week(for the 4:3 screen); it's been installed but now it's a matter of taking the pictures and updating the site.

Should you have any question, please feel free to email us.

Thank you for doing business with us.

Regards,

Solomon

Monoprice, Inc.

Tel. 909-989-6887

---------------------------------------------------------

Visit our online store at
www.monoprice.com "

I decided to call and ask a few questions real quick and I think I spoke to Solomon. I asked about the 108" screen.

Here is what is listed on the website:

Electric Projection Screen (16:9, 108 inch)

Size : 108inch (2.40M X 1.35M)

Screen Material : Matte White (its gain is about 1.0)

Screen Thickness : 0.42mm (+/-) 0.03mm

Motor Type : Tubular motor

The questions I asked were:

1. Color of the case?

Answer: White

2. Size of the case?

Answer: He didn't have that info but said it is just a couple inches wider than the screen. He said he could find the info, but I didn't ask him to do that.

3. What is the Viewing Angle?

Answer: He didn't know.

4. I assume it has a black border?

Answer: Yes a couple of inches or so.

5. Weight of product?

Answer: He didn't know right off hand but thought it was about 70lbs.

6: Return Policy?

Answer: Same as other products, 21 days, no restocking fee, but S&H is not refunded.

7: Warranty?

Answer: He didn't have anything specific, just said to check the website. (I couldn't find any specific warranties beyond the 21 days, but I didn't look too much.)

He also reiterated that they are in the process of getting pictures up on the website.

I am looking for a low cost alternative to my Graywolf 106" manual pulldown. I rearranged my theater room and now have more seating outside of the smaller viewing cone with this screen, so I now notice a drop off in brightness in some seats.

I am wondering if this Monoprice screen with the motor and being matte white would be a good product to try? I have a Panasonic AE900 as my projector.

#16 ·
I love a mat white screen, no hot spots. The price seems great for an electric screen and if it lives up to the other Monoprice products it could be another best buy. I am currently using one with a AE900 projector but I am thinkiing of getting a larger screen that is why the Monoprice one interests me. The Grey Wolf is a good screen but unless you view directly there will be light loss issues. It should be remembered that most mat white screens are 1.1 brightness.

#20 ·
Damn, those are some good prices. Can't wait till someone tries one. I want to see some reviews.

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmanm /forum/post/0

I have a few questions for you..

Can the screen be mounted onto a ceiling? And also can the wired controller be removed so the wireless control can be used?

Thanks

Danny

The instructions(actually, i don't think any were included) leave a bit to be desired but I can think of a few ways to ceiling mount the screen with a minimum amount of additional hardware(I'll use any excuse to go to homedepot). . .as for replacing the wired remote with the wireless. . .you have to remove it as the RF remote has a new in-line wired remote but with an rf receiver for the remote.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.