Graywolf II NOT ok for ceiling mount projector? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-12-2006, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently have a Sharp XR-11X projector sitting on a table projecting on a 92" Graywolf II screen. I love the picture and everything seems great. I am going to be upgrading to a Mitsubishi HD1000U projector which will be ceiling mounted. I have seen hints and mentions of the Graywolf II being a bad choice for ceiling mount, but I cannot find any specific reasons behind it. Should I be looking for a different screen? Note that I am upgrading to a larger screen anyway, I was planning on staying with the Graywolf II, but want to make sure.

Optoma RD50A
Mitsubishi HD1000U
DirecTV HR10-250 HD-DVR
Athlon X2 64 4200+ CPU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2006, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
The issue is that the screen is retroreflective, meaning most of the light is reflected back to the source. So the brightest seat in the house is eye level with the projector, which isn't easy with a ceiling mount.

I have a 92" GW II and a ceiling mounted HD72, and the screen is plenty bright from 12-14' away. If you stand up, you can see an increase in brightness, but it looks great from the seating as well.

I love the colors and blacks on the screen. If I ever upgrade to a 106 or a 120" I'd like to stick with the GWII. The only issue I have with the screen is the texture that is clearly visible in white scenes, or sky shots. I also have a few waves as well.
But overall i still love the screen. If your projector is decently bright you should be fine.

Xbox Live gamertag: Ikari Warrior
Playstation Network ID: IkariWarrior
Old 12-12-2006, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

My screen is going to be 15" from the ground, centered at eye level, so the Graywolf should work fine for me?

Optoma RD50A
Mitsubishi HD1000U
DirecTV HR10-250 HD-DVR
Athlon X2 64 4200+ CPU
Old 12-12-2006, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Mine is in a similar position, and it's great for me. Are you getting the projector first? If so you could mount it and shoot it at your current Greywolf and see if the effect is good enough for you. It's sounds like you should be fine, but everyone's taste is different. Mine's really bright an looks great, so I'm happy with it for now.

Xbox Live gamertag: Ikari Warrior
Playstation Network ID: IkariWarrior
Old 12-13-2006, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

My 120 inch greywolf will be about 20-24 inches off the floor and I'll be shooting a panny 100 at it mounted on a table between 14-24 inches high (don't have the table yet).
The projector will probably be about 13 feet back from the screen.

The closest seats be 13 feet back (kid rockers). The rest of the seating will be at 19 & 25 feet back.

Based on my seating, the 19 & 25 rows should easily both be in the narrow cone for the seats.

I'm also hoping that based on the distance, sparklies probably won't be an issue either.

Anyone care to comment and tell me I'm right? I'm just hoping I bought the right screen. Should know in within a few weeks.

Old 12-15-2006, 10:35 AM

I recently returned a Graywolf II actually. I have an Optoma HD70, ceiling mounted, and I used the Graywolf II for about a month before I returned it. It's a nice screen, but a few things drove me nuts:

1.) The glass beads were plainly visible when there was a white or close to white scene.
2.) The high gain doesn't work well with my projector and mounting because all of the dark scenes were WAY too dark. The only things that showed up during night scenes were lights and main characters. I had to turn the brightness of the projector up to where the areas that were supposed to be black looked gray.

Other than those two things, it was a great screen. Oh, and my seating is about 18 feet away from the 106" screen.
Old 12-18-2006, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rehtonAesoohC
I recently returned a Graywolf II actually. I have an Optoma HD70, ceiling mounted, and I used the Graywolf II for about a month before I returned it. It's a nice screen, but a few things drove me nuts:
What screen do you plan to use next. I have a HD70 on the way and I was considering the Grey 1.8 EluneVision HD ProCinema which I understand is the same thing as a Greywolf II. I will probably change my decision on this screen based on your opinion. Any insight would be helpful. Any recommendations?
Old 12-18-2006, 09:55 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiguy1
What screen do you plan to use next. I have a HD70 on the way and I was considering the Grey 1.8 EluneVision HD ProCinema which I understand is the same thing as a Greywolf II. I will probably change my decision on this screen based on your opinion. Any insight would be helpful. Any recommendations?
Yes, please do provide any insight on this as I have a HD70 also and am looking to buy a screen this week.
Using projectorcentral's calculator at a 18' throw distance i need a screen with a gain of at least 1.4 so I was thinking about using the greywolf II but I will be mounting my projector on the ceiling suspended about 20". Screen size will be 120" And I will be controlling all light in the room but would like to have a reading light on while watching.
I would like to go with an electric but have heard that there will be noticeable waves in the screen so was thinking about going with a fixed mount to eliminate the waves. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

---------------------------------------------------------------------
"There is no surer sign of insanity than trying the same thing repeatedly expecting different results."
-Albert Einstein
Old 12-18-2006, 11:36 PM

Quote:
I have this exact screen myself...the 106" manual pull down version, with a PT-AX100 ceiling mounted projector. Yes, this is supposed to be from the same factory, and for all intents, a GWII screen.

If ceiling mounted, you will notice a fair drop in brightness, and when you stand up, the picture is terrific. I'm about 13' away, and I notice that even at 2 feet farther away, the picture is better. If you are using your projector on a table or anywhere closer to eye level, the screen really performs well....nice & bright, super nice blacks, vivid colours...and great value overall for us Canucks.

I must say though, that after just over 1 month with this screen, I am starting to re-think my strategy. The sparkly glass beads in the bright white and blue sky scenes bug me a little bit, and I'm now leaning towards a smoother image, perhaps a white screen.....albeit, at the expense of some washed out blacks.

I notice with DVD's, the image is considerably darker than with the satellite. When watching HD on the satellite, the picture is super...still not quite as bright as when I stand up, but more than bright enough.

I'm starting to beleive that unless you have very deep pockets, the screen decission will, in most cases, be a compromise one way or the other. If I was looking at fixed frame screens, the choices are a bit more varied, but pull downs are a bit limited on for the reasonably budget minded (under $450 CAD).

Here are a few pics: http://www.pbase.com/chia/ht_pics

CHIA
Old 12-19-2006, 08:31 PM

Chia

That is a really nice room! What did you use to cover the wires on the ceiling? How is it attached?
Old 12-19-2006, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLKeith
Chia

That is a really nice room! What did you use to cover the wires on the ceiling? How is it attached?
Thanks for the compliment, appreciate that. The cables are covered with a raceway from a manufacturer called "Wiremold", part # 2300.

If you were only running an HDMI & a power cable, there's also the 2300D model, which stands for *dual* or *double*, and has a divider in the middle...might be nice to isolate the power from the video cable, but mine works fine without.

It's a surface mounted raceway for hiding cables & wires which can also be painted. It comes with a sticky tape on the bottom side, with a clear peel off adhesive cover. I screwed the stuff to my ceiling and walls instead. It comes in different sizes, but mine was one of the larger ones. Here's a blurb from the literature:

The 2300B and 2300BA Series Base shall be manufactured of a rigid PVC compound.

The 2300C Series Cover shall be manufactured of a rigid PVC compound. The cover shall have a matte texture, available in ivory and white colors.

2.2.1 Raceway
The raceway shall be a two-piece design with a base and a snap-on cover. Total width shall be
2.25" x 0.69" deep [57mm x 17.5mm] with a cross sectional area of 0.85 sq. in. [21.6mm]. The raceway base and cover sections shall have an approximate thickness of .075" [1.9mm]. The raceway base and cover shall be available in 5' [1.525m] lengths. The raceway base shall be available with and without adhesive tape backing.

There are many options for going around 90 degree corners in walls, with inside or outside turns, connecting trims to mount several together, etc. It comes in 5' lengths as mentioned above, and has a textured finish.

My wall peices are now painted, and blend in very well...the ceiling molding was left white. They also comes in smaller sizes, but given the fact that I had to run a power cord, large monoprice component cables, HDMI, and SVHS all in one, this was the size for me....and let me tell you...it JUST fit, and was a VERY tight fit at that!

I wanted to run the cables into the walls, but I had some challenges that prohibited me from doing that, won't bore anyone with details, but siffice to say, I tried!

This is a great system to surface mount cables, and looks relatively low profile when all said & done. I must admit when I was trying to get all of those cables to fit in the raceway, I was wishing I had not bought the heaviest guage monoprice models.....would have been MUCH easier with slightly smaller diameter cables.

CHIA

Edit: Just snapped a quick pic of the wiremold on the wall, and added it to the gallery of snapshots....should give you an idea of the finished product:

http://www.pbase.com/chia/image/71903741
Old 12-20-2006, 07:42 PM

Chia,

So your screen is the Elunevision 1.8 grey screen? Correct?
Old 12-21-2006, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Chia,

So your screen is the Elunevision 1.8 grey screen? Correct?
Yes it is, bought it from Easporters when they first got them in, and a while before they were listed on the website. I was told it was essentially a GWII, and it came from the same factory. It's a grey, glass beaded 106" model.

In a couple of my pics within my gallery, you can actually see the empty Elunevision box standing upright next to the screen.

http://www.pbase.com/chia/image/71150982

CHIA
Old 12-21-2006, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbiancardi
My screen is going to be 15" from the ground, centered at eye level, so the Graywolf should work fine for me?
Depends. The greater the angle between the projector and the screen, the more loss of gain. I assume you are ceiling mounting. If your screen is only 15" from the floor and your projector is mounted on an 8' ceiling, at its highest point, the angle will be fairly large which could cause your gain to drop below 1. I do not see the point of a GW under these circumstances.
Old 12-24-2006, 12:48 PM

Quote:
I purchased a white screen from monoprice (PM me for the link) and it just came the other day so I installed it and tested it out. So far, dark scenes are considerably more detailed than when using the Greywolf II screen. It's much easier to see shadow detail on this screen without pumping the brightness up to absurd levels. Any white 1.0 gain screen would do just as well because this screen is just a "monoprice" brand (manufactured and rebranded for them). One nice thing is that it's electric, but a downside is that it's not a taut screen. (I forgot the actual term).

Anyway, I'm very pleased with the screen, and it's much better watching movies and HD satellite on the new screen versus the old one.

Edit: I can also take some pictures and post them if anyone would like.
Old 12-25-2006, 06:48 PM

Quote:
I purchased a white screen from monoprice (PM me for the link) and it just came the other day so I installed it and tested it out. So far, dark scenes are considerably more detailed than when using the Greywolf II screen. It's much easier to see shadow detail on this screen without pumping the brightness up to absurd levels. Any white 1.0 gain screen would do just as well because this screen is just a "monoprice" brand (manufactured and rebranded for them). One nice thing is that it's electric, but a downside is that it's not a taut screen. (I forgot the actual term).

Anyway, I'm very pleased with the screen, and it's much better watching movies and HD satellite on the new screen versus the old one.

Edit: I can also take some pictures and post them if anyone would like.
I would love to see some pictures. I am debating on the monoprice 108" for my ceiling mounted in72.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bqmeister
My 120 inch greywolf will be about 20-24 inches off the floor and I'll be shooting a panny 100 at it mounted on a table between 14-24 inches high (don't have the table yet).
The projector will probably be about 13 feet back from the screen.

The closest seats be 13 feet back (kid rockers). The rest of the seating will be at 19 & 25 feet back.

Based on my seating, the 19 & 25 rows should easily both be in the narrow cone for the seats.

I'm also hoping that based on the distance, sparklies probably won't be an issue either.

Anyone care to comment and tell me I'm right? I'm just hoping I bought the right screen. Should know in within a few weeks.
Ok, the above is accurate with one exception - I went with a 106" greywolf II instead of the 120. The shipping delays with the 120 were killing me. I'm not sure if I still want a 120 or if I'm happy with the current size. 106" is nice and immersive. I can probably use the extra room around the screen and underneath it for my components and speakers.

The viewing angle of this screen is great. I have a long, narrow room, but I did walk close to the screen on the side and had no problems.

I looked for 'sparklies' in bright scenes and couldn't find any.

I have no complaints whatsoever with this screen. Except maybe, possibly the size.

Maybe.

Old 12-26-2006, 02:23 PM

My grayWolf II has a ripple or wave in the lower right side/corner. It is a 92" manual pulldown type and I have it ceiling mounted and fully extended. I didn't notice it while viewing but when I walked by it. Is this a reason to return it or a regular issue with the screen?
Old 12-26-2006, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member

I've heard the waves in these are not visible while watching a movie. If you don't see it then, I doubt that's reason to return it.

Old 12-27-2006, 02:55 PM
AFH
AVS Special Member

I have a Greywolf and the waves are not visible when watching programming. My projector is also table mounted.

"I'm going to call them scallywags" - Ollie

Xbox Live: Stunt1on1
Old 12-27-2006, 10:42 PM

Alright, here are some pictures for you all. I uploaded the shrunk down pictures, so if you want to see the HUGE original pictures, or any others, send me a PM with your email address and I'll shoot you more.

Again, this is a ceiling mounted Optoma HD70 projector and a monoprice 108" screen. My couch is about 17 feet away from the screen, and I know I need to get a component cabinet .
Old 12-27-2006, 11:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 36
rehton, you mentioned the screens for monoprice were manufactured by someone else and rebranded. Do you know who? I'm debating this screen versus a more expensive Da-Lite. Thanks.

Big Dumb Mammal
Old 12-28-2006, 08:53 AM

Honestly, I have no clue who manufactured it- I couldn't find any information, and the monoprice guy I spoke with said he didn't know either.

One thing to consider Jdog is that if you're going to be buying a more expensive 1.0 gain screen, only buy it if it's tab tensioned. For me, I did not see any waves or distortions in the image, which a lot of people seemed to complain about, but later on that may change. The screen itself can't really be improved unless it's tensioned, and if your goal is to project onto a flat surface, a lot of people would say to just project onto a white wall anyway. So unless that's your plan, I'd say save your money and just go with the monoprice one.

Here's more info for you
Old 12-28-2006, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Alright, here are some pictures for you all. I uploaded the shrunk down pictures, so if you want to see the HUGE original pictures, or any others, send me a PM with your email address and I'll shoot you more.
Sent you a PM