HIGH POWER a Review! Part 1 - Page 115 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3421 of 3787 Old 03-01-2011, 06:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Good to hear that you're loving your new screen. I've spent too much time reading screen threads and I think I've decided that it's the screen for me. Now, just need to see if I can find an RS40 in stock (or somewhere without too much wait).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3422 of 3787 Old 03-01-2011, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mntwister View Post

I guess I don't understand the theory behind "same eye level." If you have a screen at the same eye level behind you, it will not project without you seeing your head on the screen, and if it is in front of you it will be in the way, so I have never understood that theory.

Of course you are correct. Luckily, one only has to place the PJ as close as possible to seated eye level while avoiding the blocking issues you have pointed out. Incidentally, those same blocking issues are the reason you will never achieve 2.4 gain with the so-called 2.4 gain HP. You can come close (e.g., by wearing the PJ as a hat), but to approach 2.4 gain the lens would have to be right between your eyes, which I'm told is quite uncomfortable.
post #3423 of 3787 Old 03-01-2011, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by mntwister View Post

I guess I don't understand the theory behind "same eye level." If you have a screen at the same eye level behind you, it will not project without you seeing your head on the screen, and if it is in front of you it will be in the way, so I have never understood that theory.

You left out the setup where it sits beside you, AND in that situation it can be a foot or 2 back. Sounds weird to me too, but some on these forums do this and with quiet projectors they love the setup.
post #3424 of 3787 Old 03-01-2011, 05:57 PM

Liked: 10
Well as I said earlier, I am looking at replacing my 133 " 16:9 2.8 HP as after 7 years of raising little kids it has a little wear plus my wife damaged a sections.

Anyways I just got a sample of the 2.4. My setup is a Panny 3000 that is ceiling mounted that hangs down maybe one to two feet. Just eyeing it the projector lens is maybe a foot or more below the top of the screen. Is it ideal for HP, no. But it still throws up a great picture.

So the interesting thing was placing the sample on the screen didn't seem to loose as much pop as others have said or shown in pictures. On whites or bright scenes it looked a bit more dim then the surrounding 2.8. Maybe 5 to 10 percent. But on colored or dark scenes the 2.4 would disappear and my wife asked were it was.

I tried it with lights on and off. I also tried some day viewing with isn't great in my room but still not bad for Xbox. So with my ceiling setup the 2.4, isn't a big loss in brightness as I was worried. Maybe the material makes up for the loss of gain with handling ceiling projectors better. I feel ok buying the 2.4. Still going to test.

I am far from a videofile like the rest of you so be kind. Also typed this from my iPad so excuse the mistakes.

Stephen
post #3425 of 3787 Old 03-03-2011, 09:49 AM
cpc
AVS Club Gold

Gotta a link to within this thread or elsewhere that compares the HP with the Silverstar a bit more in depth? Does the Silverstar have a wider viewing angle in terms of brightness drop off?
post #3426 of 3787 Old 03-03-2011, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Please keep in mind that 99% of this thread and 99% of all HP threads are about HP 2.8 Gain which is no longer available. The new 2.4 is better in some ways and not as good in others and has only been on the market since 1-2010.
Make sure any comparisons are between readily available products.
post #3427 of 3787 Old 03-03-2011, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpc View Post

Gotta a link to within this thread or elsewhere that compares the HP with the Silverstar a bit more in depth? Does the Silverstar have a wider viewing angle in terms of brightness drop off?

You'll probably have to change the geometry of your theater to change between those screens.
post #3428 of 3787 Old 03-03-2011, 01:57 PM
cpc
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post

You'll probably have to change the geometry of your theater to change between those screens.

My projector will be mounted within the area of the screen, aiming at the screen not far from centre. Not sure which will work for that setup.
post #3429 of 3787 Old 03-05-2011, 04:27 AM

Liked: 12
Have a PT-ae4000 on a trolley just below seated eye level. Pj is 8 inches below the bottom of the target screen and 12 feet away. Will the reflexive nature of the hp therefore work well in this situation? I will pull the trigger this week
post #3430 of 3787 Old 03-05-2011, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Sounds like it should but please plug your numbers into the screen gain calculator to see how much gain you will get.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=966057
post #3431 of 3787 Old 03-05-2011, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by avswilier View Post

Have a PT-ae4000 on a trolley just below seated eye level. Pj is 8 inches below the bottom of the target screen and 12 feet away. Will the reflexive nature of the hp therefore work well in this situation? I will pull the trigger this week

Do not buy any screen without seeing samples
post #3432 of 3787 Old 03-05-2011, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3 View Post

Do not buy any screen without seeing samples

Thanks, but I am in Hk and don't have much time to play with samples etc. Probably buy the cheapest Hp model b manual screen so the risk is not too big
post #3433 of 3787 Old 03-07-2011, 07:09 AM

I am considering buying an HP screen cut to size.
I use today a JVC 750 and a 2.35 147"x63" gain 1 screen with a projecting distance of 19’ and a seating distance of 17.5’.
I do understand how the HP fabric works and have calculated that I will get in my configuration respective gains of 2 for my two centred seats and 1.8 for my two other seats for the present 2.4 gain fabric.

I need some feedback from peoples using the HP screen to determine a convenient screen size for my future JVC X projector.
I will be pleased to keep a similar size to my present screen but I am perplexed relating to the capacity of the projector to deliver enough light in 3D for this size.
I have no clear opinion on this subject even after reading posts on this thread.
By the way I have not been able to see such screen in action locally (Paris, France) and I have only been able to play with small 2.4 gain samples.
I should be pleased to get answers to the following questions (in particular from Zombie who appears to have a large HP screen).
1. What are the maximum 16/9 and 2.35 picture sizes to be considered in 3D for an HP screen and a new JVC projector? (I do know that this is subjective)
2. Are you zooming in the picture when going from 2D to 3D?

Many thanks in advance
post #3434 of 3787 Old 03-07-2011, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLCAVS View Post

I am considering buying an HP screen cut to size.
I use today a JVC 750 and a 2.35 147’x63’ gain 1 screen with a projecting distance of 19’ and a seating distance of 17.5’.
I do understand how the HP fabric works and have calculated that I will get in my configuration respective gains of 2 for my two centred seats and 1.8 for my two other seats for the present 2.4 gain fabric.

I need some feedback from peoples using the HP screen to determine a convenient screen size for my future JVC X projector.
I will be pleased to keep a similar size to my present screen but I am perplexed relating to the capacity of the projector to deliver enough light in 3D for this size.
I have no clear opinion on this subject even after reading posts on this thread.
By the way I have not been able to see such screen in action locally (Paris, France) and I have only been able to play with small 2.4 gain samples.
I should be pleased to get answers to the following questions (in particular from Zombie who appears to have a large HP screen).
1. What are the maximum 16/9 and 2.35 picture sizes to be considered in 3D for an HP screen and a new JVC projector? (I do know that this is subjective)
2. Are you zooming in the picture when going from 2D to 3D?

Many thanks in advance

I had the RS40 (X3) and now the RS50 (X7). My screen is the older 2.8 material and is 142" 16:9. My 2:35:1 viewing area ends up being 133" diagonal. I am not zooming for 2:35:1, I use masks on my screen which is a fixed frame Cinema Contour model.

My room is light controlled and the projector is 17 feet from the projector. I have the projector just inches above eye level for maximum gain. I am a brightness fanatic and for me, there is no such thing as too bright (within reason).

Like all UHP lamps, the new JVC's are going to lose their out of the box brightness after a few hundred hours. I am at 200 hours and it's definitely not as bright as it was when I first received it. I have a light meter and currently tracking the lumen output, but I can tell you it's nowhere near JVC's advertised 1300 lumens so you can't judge by any of the projector calculators unless you use a realistic (D65 calibrated) light output which is going to be in the 500-600 lumen range at the shortest throw. Some reports are coming in from previous owners stating the older models had higher calibrated lumen output than the new series.

The brightness in 2D and 3D are nice with the 2.8 @ 142" for now, but I'll have to wait and see how much more the lamp dims. I personally wouldn't use the new JVC RS/X series with a screen this large without a considerable amount of gain. For this combo, I think the 142" is as large as I would go with the new JVC's. That's a pretty big 2:35:1 screen you have there!
post #3435 of 3787 Old 03-08-2011, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
I had the RS40 (X3) and now the RS50 (X7). My screen is the older 2.8 material and is 142" 16:9. My 2:35:1 viewing area ends up being 133" diagonal. I am not zooming for 2:35:1, I use masks on my screen which is a fixed frame Cinema Contour model.

My room is light controlled and the projector is 17 feet from the projector. I have the projector just inches above eye level for maximum gain. I am a brightness fanatic and for me, there is no such thing as too bright (within reason).

Like all UHP lamps, the new JVC's are going to lose their out of the box brightness after a few hundred hours. I am at 200 hours and it's definitely not as bright as it was when I first received it. I have a light meter and currently tracking the lumen output, but I can tell you it's nowhere near JVC's advertised 1300 lumens so you can't judge by any of the projector calculators unless you use a realistic (D65 calibrated) light output which is going to be in the 500-600 lumen range at the shortest throw. Some reports are coming in from previous owners stating the older models had higher calibrated lumen output than the new series.

The brightness in 2D and 3D are nice with the 2.8 @ 142" for now, but I'll have to wait and see how much more the lamp dims. I personally wouldn't use the new JVC RS/X series with a screen this large without a considerable amount of gain. For this combo, I think the 142" is as large as I would go with the new JVC's. That's a pretty big 2:35:1 screen you have there!

Jason,

Many thanks for your information. This helps me a lot.
Sorry for the typo: my screen size should naturally read 147"x63".
My room is completely dark and light issued of the screen in direction of all room surfaces is blocked by absorbing masks (black fabric acting as field stop) so that the picture is seen through a kind of window in a completely dark surrounding.
post #3436 of 3787 Old 03-11-2011, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 103
I've had my 106" model b pulldown (using 2.8 HP fabric) in storage for a few years. When I put it back up recently, I noticed some slight horizontal lines running through the image. They appear to be folds or wrinkles in the fabric. They run the entire height of the screen with spacing increasing as you get further down the screen (probably since the roller radius increases towards the bottom).

The issue is only slightly noticeable on very bright scenes or 100% full screen IRE test patterns.

To make it visible in photographs, I shined a flashlight parallel to the screen from the bottom or side edges. Projector is off and room is dark.

Can someone test their 2.8 pulldown to see if this issue was there originally or was caused by the prolonged storage? Thanks.
LL
post #3437 of 3787 Old 03-11-2011, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post
I've had my 106" model b pulldown (using 2.8 HP fabric) in storage for a few years. When I put it back up recently, I noticed some slight horizontal lines running through the image. They appear to be folds or wrinkles in the fabric. They run the entire height of the screen with spacing increasing as you get further down the screen (probably since the roller radius increases towards the bottom).

The issue is only slightly noticeable on very bright scenes or 100% full screen IRE test patterns.

To make it visible in photographs, I shined a flashlight parallel to the screen from the bottom or side edges. Projector is off and room is dark.

Can someone test their 2.8 pulldown to see if this issue was there originally or was caused by the prolonged storage? Thanks.
When I opened up my tripod screen to full height (normally only half open for 16:9) I can see a line between the area that is normally open, which is darker than the part not normally exposed. When cleaning a bug off the screen that was in the not normally open part, I found that the dark part (line) was lessened by the cleaning. You may want to try wiping very lightly with some denatured alcohol to see if it will remove the darkness. Do a spot near the edge or bottom to test and if it helps, a full screen cleaning may help. Good luck and be careful.
post #3438 of 3787 Old 03-12-2011, 10:34 PM

I had posted this on the JVC RS40 thread, but hope it's okay to cross-post a bit

Basically I now have to ceiling mount the RS40 about 2' above the eye level. We do like a "pop" in our image, although our living room is light-controlled.

The seating area is about 12-13" from the 133" screen.

We were fairly set on the HP when eye-level, shelf-mounting was an option. Now that's no longer the case, is HP still the way to go?

I've read about the relatively narrow cone, and also how the HP requires project being as close to eye-level as possible, so a bit concerned.

Thanks everyone!
post #3439 of 3787 Old 03-13-2011, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

how do u mount the projector at eye level ?
thats pretty low .
post #3440 of 3787 Old 03-13-2011, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
how do u mount the projector at eye level ?
thats pretty low .

At eye level is for MAX gain. If you are withing 12-15" you will get most of the gain. Table mount or shelf mount with lens shift just above the seated head level. Long pole mounts with lens shift work to.
Most inexpensive DLP projectors have a fixed offset so table mount is about the only option when there is no lens shift.
post #3441 of 3787 Old 03-13-2011, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Ordered my HP 110" model c today

Thanks,

Rana

a few funny stories from my life ------->http://www.kirtirana.blogspot.com
post #3442 of 3787 Old 03-17-2011, 12:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Can someone re-post the NEW 2.4 HP screen gain EXCEL calculator, I seem to have lost it.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #3443 of 3787 Old 03-26-2011, 03:37 PM

Finally i bought a Contour Electrol 110" with HP 2.4 , but after only a month , i have a problem.
When the projector is on with brith image , i can see horizontal stripes darker.
on the back of screen , there is a bit of white dust that , according to me , is the removed emulsion of HP.
When the projector is turned off, the surface is perfectly white, so I think that the strips depend on lack of uniformity of the emulsion , created by the friction when roll up on itself.
someone has the same problem? How did you solve it?
post #3444 of 3787 Old 03-26-2011, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost60 View Post

Finally i bought a Contour Electrol 110" with HP 2.4 , but after only a month , i have a problem.
When the projector is on with brith image , i can see horizontal stripes darker.
on the back of screen , there is a bit of white dust that , according to me , is the removed emulsion of HP.
When the projector is turned off, the surface is perfectly white, so I think that the strips depend on lack of uniformity of the emulsion , created by the friction when roll up on itself.
someone has the same problem? How did you solve it?

I would attempt to take pictures of the issue. If the beads have indeed come off, the strips will probably show up if you take a flash picture of the screen from across the room.. If not then try and take the picture of the projected image as well.
Lets have a look see.
If it is defective, I would contact your dealer and Dalite customer servers individually (dealer first) and sending the same detailed email with pictures to both of them. Hopefully you purchased from AVS and they will take good care of you.
post #3445 of 3787 Old 03-27-2011, 03:36 AM

This is the photo with flash.

post #3446 of 3787 Old 03-27-2011, 05:12 PM

Is there a reason one wouldn't buy a HP screen on comparison to a normal matte 1.0 gain screen? I have seen blurbs about te 2.4 gain not be helpful in some situations. I have a Epson 8100 ceiling mount 11 ft away.
post #3447 of 3787 Old 03-27-2011, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxum66 View Post
Is there a reason one wouldn't buy a HP screen on comparison to a normal matte 1.0 gain screen? I have seen blurbs about te 2.4 gain not be helpful in some situations. I have a Epson 8100 ceiling mount 11 ft away.
That ceiling mount may well be a good reason not to buy an HP, depending. The projector should be as close to eye level as possible. Ceiling mounts often place the projector too high.
post #3448 of 3787 Old 03-28-2011, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost60 View Post

This is the photo with flash.

send that sucker back.
post #3449 of 3787 Old 03-28-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3 View Post

send that sucker back.

+1
post #3450 of 3787 Old 03-29-2011, 01:45 AM

I bought it from AudioGeneral. Da Lite said that they have never seen anything like that.
Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Projectors , Da Lite Screens , Da Lite High Power Hdtv Format Ascender Electric Projector Screen , Dalite Model C Video Format 105 X 140 Inch High Power Projection Screen

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page