HIGH POWER a Review! Part 1 - Page 122 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3631 of 3787 Old 09-22-2011, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Out of the 8 seats in my setup using the 6" square Dalite sent me months back I only have one seat where the picture looks as bright or possibly brighter. In the remaining 7 seats that I have the brightness difference is quite noticeable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3632 of 3787 Old 09-22-2011, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
xb
Thats the down side of having so much gain. But in its sweet spot it smokes all the expensive wide angle screens in their sweet spot. They become down right boring in comparison and less money to boot!
But its another matter entirely if you want the whole family or a group of friends to get the same picture equally. In that case the wide cone is a benefit.
Pick your poison!

regards
David

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand
post #3633 of 3787 Old 09-22-2011, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

If I didn't have the 2.8 gain I'd get the 2.4 in a heartbeat. I shoulda woulda coulda bought the bigger screen some time back when I had the chance. I'll probably wait and see how bright the RS45 is. If it's very bright then the 2.4 gain might work.
post #3634 of 3787 Old 09-22-2011, 08:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by xb1032 View Post

If I didn't have the 2.8 gain I'd get the 2.4 in a heartbeat. I shoulda woulda coulda bought the bigger screen some time back when I had the chance. I'll probably wait and see how bright the RS45 is. If it's very bright then the 2.4 gain might work.

My 144x72 HP2.4 is quite bright enough for me with a RS20 with ~ 2000 hrs on the lamp. (In 16x9 config is is 128x72,)
post #3635 of 3787 Old 09-23-2011, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Out of the 8 seats in my setup using the 6" square Dalite sent me months back I only have one seat where the picture looks as bright or possibly brighter. In the remaining 7 seats that I have the brightness difference is quite noticeable.

Having experimented with the HP 2.4 samples, the dropoff seems to be more noticeable with smaller samples. I first got a 6" sample and then a 12" sample, and now I have a 122x66" HP screen now. The dropoff was less noticeable with each size increase.

Life is good.
post #3636 of 3787 Old 09-23-2011, 11:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

My 144x72 HP2.4 is quite bright enough for me with a RS20 with ~ 2000 hrs on the lamp. (In 16x9 config is is 128x72,)

I will probably wait until I get the RS45 and see how much brighter it is over my RS2 clone. I didn't think I'd be saying this but I am interested in 3D and the brightness matters so I'll see how that goes as well. If I can spare a little then I may go for the 2.4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan1000 View Post

Having experimented with the HP 2.4 samples, the dropoff seems to be more noticeable with smaller samples. I first got a 6" sample and then a 12" sample, and now I have a 122x66" HP screen now. The dropoff was less noticeable with each size increase.

I was thinking about a calling and getting a 12" sample as the 6" sample really isn't enough. Now if only they would give my a 119" sample.
post #3637 of 3787 Old 09-24-2011, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:

I was thinking about a calling and getting a 12" sample as the 6" sample really isn't enough. Now if only they would give my a 119" sample.

Think about it this way.
If you do not have the projector in the optimum place or some of your seating is out of the viewing cone, you will get the same image as you do with a white screen that has a gain of 1.
What's to loose? You sit in the captain's seat which should be directly under the projector shooting just over your head, unless you give it up for an honored guest! You will always have a great picture and the seats next to you will also have a great picture. No one that I know of has ever complained about the full size screen looking darker on one side that then other from any seat. In fact the opposite is true, they say it has a very uniform brightness. Unfortunately I have a very small screen so my personal experience is not very useful when talking about a very large screen. You should get the bigger samples as you say and see if that helps any in your decision.
post #3638 of 3787 Old 09-28-2011, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am really not looking forward to the day i want to upgrade my 2.35:1 highpower to something bigger.

I have a 94inch 16:9 in behind, and a second one just about the same size with masking on top and bottom da-lite did for me that drops down in front.

I had to go with this because my projector had no zoom method so calculations had to be done to work out the appropriate size.

Now looking at projectors I had hoped to buy one with a zoom method, so i could get a bigger picture for 2:35 and 2:40 movies and just zoom in manually, but now the screens wont match. They will have different gain. If i want to go bigger i would have the masked screen with less gain and for 16:9 content higher gain and brighter picture.

Or I buy a new 16:9 as well in the 2.4 but that would put a hole in my pocket, dalite charges crazy prices for the electric screens.
post #3639 of 3787 Old 10-30-2011, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Hi,
I'm running power in the attic this weekend for an electric hipower screen, and was wondering which side of the screen Dalite puts the power and 12v trigger. I called VA and PP and both are closed. The only pic I can find is a Designer Cinema Electrol and it's power is on the left, so this is how I have it for now. The Sheetrock guys come Tues so someone pls let me know if I need power on the other side. Thanks.
post #3640 of 3787 Old 10-30-2011, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by pottscb View Post

Hi,
I'm running power in the attic this weekend for an electric hipower screen, and was wondering which side of the screen Dalite puts the power and 12v trigger. I called VA and PP and both are closed. The only pic I can find is a Designer Cinema Electrol and it's power is on the left, so this is how I have it for now. The Sheetrock guys come Tues so someone pls let me know if I need power on the other side. Thanks.

Go to the dalite website, choose the model screen you have and on the right and side of the page you will see pdf files including installation .. one of those pdfs will show you what you need to know
post #3641 of 3787 Old 11-15-2011, 11:29 AM
KMR

I think I may have a problem with my screen.

I just took delivery on a Cinema Contour screen and I'm assembling the frame now. However, none of the screw holes are matching up properly.

I know that the instructions say that they won't line up until all fasteners are attached, but the frame is together all the way and they're still mismatched.

Any ideas? Is there something I'm missing?
post #3642 of 3787 Old 11-16-2011, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I think you're supposed to match up the holes and put in the screws (not tight) and then when all the screws are in you can tighten them. Then look at the frame and it should look fine.
post #3643 of 3787 Old 11-16-2011, 08:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Also note that the 4 pieces are labeled 'top', 'bottom', 'left', and 'right', and the holds only line up correctly if you have these correctly positioned. (I think I once starting putting one of my HP's together and had the top and bottom switched.)
post #3644 of 3787 Old 11-16-2011, 08:21 AM
KMR

Yeah, you're right. I tried again last night and the screws went in far enough. I did this for all four corners and then tightened them. I just assumed that they would all line up after the screen was pieced together.

But all is fine now and the screen is fully assembled.
post #3645 of 3787 Old 11-16-2011, 09:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

good to hear KMR. We were about to have Da Lite just send you another one

Benito Joaquin, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 1-585-454-1460 x110
Email Me: Benito@AVScience.com

Now taking pre-orders for JVC and Epson projectors!

Contact us for your screen needs!!
post #3646 of 3787 Old 11-18-2011, 05:58 PM
KMR

Sorry... I have another 'issue'.

I've noticed during scenes of solid color--like a shot of the sky, or many scenes in an animated movie, where larges areas of solid color are prevalent--I can see the screen's texture. It's very distracting. Has anyone else noticed this sort of thing?
post #3647 of 3787 Old 12-13-2011, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I just got my new Cinema Contour with High Power put together and on the wall. Wow, those snaps are a bitch... Anyway, I noticed a part of the screen that isn't stretched out like the rest - it's like there's too much fabric and it makes a bubble. I was just wondering if this is normal/acceptable? Will it get worse over time since it's not properly stretched? It doesn't appear to be too noticeable from the front, but I haven't yet set up my projector.

Any opinions?

Hopefully my attachment works. It's not the best picture since it's from an iPhone, but it'll get the point across.
LL
post #3648 of 3787 Old 12-13-2011, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by NNate View Post

I just got my new Cinema Contour with High Power put together and on the wall. Wow, those snaps are a bitch... Anyway, I noticed a part of the screen that isn't stretched out like the rest - it's like there's too much fabric and it makes a bubble. I was just wondering if this is normal/acceptable? Will it get worse over time since it's not properly stretched? It doesn't appear to be too noticeable from the front, but I haven't yet set up my projector.

Any opinions?

Hopefully my attachment works. It's not the best picture since it's from an iPhone, but it'll get the point across.

That's not normal. I don't recall, but I think there's a recommended sequence to snap the screen in to avoid puckering. Perhaps someone else here knows or you can call Da Lite. Maybe try snapping the center points and then working out to the corners, doing opposing sides as you go...

I wouldn't leave it like that.
post #3649 of 3787 Old 12-13-2011, 08:11 PM

All the snaps are snapped - you think undoing them would make a difference? You'd think that once it's completely snapped it'd be tight regardless of which order they were used.

The directions said to start with the 4 corners (which I did) and then do the rest. Hmmm... Anyone else have suggestions as to how I can remedy this? Or do I have a defective screen?
post #3650 of 3787 Old 12-14-2011, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by NNate View Post

All the snaps are snapped - you think undoing them would make a difference? You'd think that once it's completely snapped it'd be tight regardless of which order they were used.

The directions said to start with the 4 corners (which I did) and then do the rest. Hmmm... Anyone else have suggestions as to how I can remedy this? Or do I have a defective screen?

If you're following the directions, I would contact your reseller or DaLite - that appears substantial enough that it would effect image quality. If it doesn't, then its up to you if it bothers you or not...
post #3651 of 3787 Old 12-14-2011, 06:08 AM

Thanks thrang! I guess I'll contact AVS later today.
post #3652 of 3787 Old 01-07-2012, 09:57 AM

To update, Mike at AVS was very helpful. DaLite sent a replacement out overnight shipping and the new screen is tight as a drum.

The more I've been watching the screen, I've been noticing some darker horizontal lines that show up during bright scenes. It's especially evident when there's a camera pan or movement on a bright scene. The most noticeable one is about a third of the way down the screen - it spans from left-right but the left side is more pronounced. There are others toward the bottom of the screen as well, but those aren't as noticeable.

Could there just be lines of dirt on my screen? I'm nervous to try and clean the screen because I worry about causing streaking or other more annoying issues. Plus, why would a new screen from the factory come dirty?

I'm getting frustrated with these issues I've been having with the HP. DaLite was really helpful with the first problem, but at this point I'm hesitant to complain again as I may just be seen as a really picky customer... Plus, given my first experience, I'm nervous that any replacement with have other more glaring issues. I've tried to take pictures of what I'm seeing, but it wasn't working out so well with my cellphone camera.
post #3653 of 3787 Old 01-07-2012, 04:24 PM

OK, I took a picture with a normal camera+flash in a dark room, projector off. Hopefully this picture can better describe what I'm seeing (at least in the most pronounced location). Again, it's more noticeable with movement on the screen.
LL
post #3654 of 3787 Old 01-07-2012, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Had anyone tried the epson 5010 with the hp?
post #3655 of 3787 Old 01-09-2012, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

NNate,

I have one of those on my HP Model C pull-down. It sits a bit lower than yours.

This was after I went though 4 (count em, 4) other HP screens from Da-Lite. One was the new (2.4) and others had a series of tightly aligned vertical stripes. I settled on this one as I was super tired of waiting and suffering the looks from my wife while swapping these on the wall for testing (133" diag), by myself!

It is quite evident/annoying on bright scenes, but I'll live. Sooo many other things to obsess over, know what I mean? Sorry if this is no help, but I wanted to express that this is not an obscure case.
post #3656 of 3787 Old 01-09-2012, 04:02 PM

Thanks for the response! I must say that's disheartening! But at least I know I'm not the only one who's experienced this. You said that one was the new 2.4 - the others were the 2.8? They all had striping of some kind - whether vertical or horizontal?

I called DaLite today and spoke with a representative. He made it sound like this was something he hadn't heard of before. I even sent over the picture I posted here after getting off the phone, but have yet to hear back about that. He told me they could send me a new screen and even offered to swap for another material (not something I want to do). I definitely can't complain about the support as it's been top-notch from both DaLite and AVS, but the QC problems are another thing entirely. I guess I have to mull over my choices.

Has anyone else experienced this with the 2.4 material?
post #3657 of 3787 Old 01-14-2012, 11:38 PM

I know this might be a redundant question but is there really no plan on bringing back the classic high power of 2.8 gain? I have a 10 foot wide 2.35 130 inch diagonal that I'm absolutely in love with. I was thinking I'd go the biggest size they had without a seam.

Oh and one question- how bad do seams look like on Da-Lite projector screens? If I wanted to go 200 inches
post #3658 of 3787 Old 01-20-2012, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Hello all, I'm a long-time owner of a Model B 92" 16:9 High Power screen (original 2.8 gain). I just got a new projector (Epson 8350, though I'm still debating whether I'll keep it or trade it for a different make/model), and I'm planning on moving up to a bigger screen. I may even go with a 2.4:1 ratio. I may go with a fixed 1.2 gain screen, but since I've been so happy with my High Power, and it doesn't look too bright now at night with this projector (and will dim more as the bulb breaks in and I move up in screen size), I'm thinking of possibly going with a Model C High Power 119" diagonal 16:9 screen (again, I may have them custom make it with extra black masking at top to give it a 2.4:1 ratio). At this screen size, and with the extra masking up top, and using the newer 2.4 gain material, am I likely to have more problems with waves than I currently have with my 2.8 gain 92" diagonal 16:9 screen? I've been very happy with the relative flatness of my current screen (and the fact that it doesn't accentuate the slight waves that are there).

Thanks!

Scott R
--------------
I'd much rather watch a great movie in B&W at 240 lines of resolution than a lousy movie in 1080p with lossless audio.
post #3659 of 3787 Old 01-22-2012, 04:35 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I had a bad day yesterday. I have a 139x78 highpower mounted in my theater. i was pulling it down and one of the straps holding it up broke. The screen wadded up on the floor. Now I have spots all over the image. I will have to buy a new scree. I was going to mount the screen in a fixed frame. I still want to do this and remember when I bought this screen a model c was cheaper than just the fabric. Is this still the case and if it is, why? Yhe case has to add quite a bit to the cost. Is there any way to purchase the material cheaper?
post #3660 of 3787 Old 01-23-2012, 03:37 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by talkingparrots View Post

I know this might be a redundant question but is there really no plan on bringing back the classic high power of 2.8 gain? I have a 10 foot wide 2.35 130 inch diagonal that I'm absolutely in love with. I was thinking I'd go the biggest size they had without a seam.

Oh and one question- how bad do seams look like on Da-Lite projector screens? If I wanted to go 200 inches

My 2.8 HP is 7 foot tall and has seam 1 foot from the top. Yes it is visible on solid white but I rarely notice it during a movie. I think the important thing is where the seam is positioned, if it's out to the edge of the screen then it's not really a an issue but I would imagine if it was across the middle of the screen than it would be unacceptable.
Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Projectors , Da Lite Screens , Da Lite High Power Hdtv Format Ascender Electric Projector Screen , Dalite Model C Video Format 105 X 140 Inch High Power Projection Screen

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page