HIGH POWER a Review! Part 1 - Page 127 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3781 of 3787 Old 07-01-2014, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 249
I've had a 110" HP (2.8) for years now, about 6 years to be exact. It's been relocated once. I have a 4 year old and a 2 year old kiddos so the screen has a few smudges. Nothing really noticable when watching except for bright scenes with camera pan. Also there are a few specks, they seem to be about the size of a pixel, maybe a little smaller where light reflects really bright. Almost like a star in the sky.

Anyway, my wife opening a photography studio and she is taking our current projector (Epson 8700UB) and I am upgrading to an Epson 5030UB. Since we need to buy a new screen I was thinking of passing the HP (2.8) onto to her and buying something new for our theater.

Reading that the 2.8 material is no longer available is disheartening. I'd like to get something new for the theater because that's where we do our most critical viewing. My first thought is to buy the 2.4 material and then I'd have it, or staying with the 2.8 to choose from, but I'm concerned about not wanting the 2.4 in either location and wishing I'd gone with a more traditional lower gain matte screen.

The theater in our home is the only "TV" in the house we use, save for the kids watching netflix on some iPads. So it gets a lot of use, so the brightness on an aging lamp is important. Do I have analysis paralysis??

"The Scuba Tank" thread here
PSN/XBL : ScubaSteve2365
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3782 of 3787 Old 07-01-2014, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve2365 View Post
I've had a 110" HP (2.8) for years now, about 6 years to be exact. It's been relocated once. I have a 4 year old and a 2 year old kiddos so the screen has a few smudges. Nothing really noticable when watching except for bright scenes with camera pan. Also there are a few specks, they seem to be about the size of a pixel, maybe a little smaller where light reflects really bright. Almost like a star in the sky.

Anyway, my wife opening a photography studio and she is taking our current projector (Epson 8700UB) and I am upgrading to an Epson 5030UB. Since we need to buy a new screen I was thinking of passing the HP (2.8) onto to her and buying something new for our theater.

Reading that the 2.8 material is no longer available is disheartening. I'd like to get something new for the theater because that's where we do our most critical viewing. My first thought is to buy the 2.4 material and then I'd have it, or staying with the 2.8 to choose from, but I'm concerned about not wanting the 2.4 in either location and wishing I'd gone with a more traditional lower gain matte screen.

The theater in our home is the only "TV" in the house we use, save for the kids watching netflix on some iPads. So it gets a lot of use, so the brightness on an aging lamp is important. Do I have analysis paralysis??
Keep you HP where it is and clean it.. If done carefully with denatured alcohol and micro fiber rags, you will be thrilled. Those star spots may also go away, there are a micro bead that is lifted up and twisted. Sometimes just gently pushing on the spot with your finger will fix it. Keep this screen you will certainly miss it and want it back if you go back to the dull utility gain screen. I have posted details on cleaning in other threads.. do some searches of cleaning HP.
post #3783 of 3787 Old 07-15-2014, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post
Keep you HP where it is and clean it.. If done carefully with denatured alcohol and micro fiber rags, you will be thrilled. Those star spots may also go away, there are a micro bead that is lifted up and twisted. Sometimes just gently pushing on the spot with your finger will fix it. Keep this screen you will certainly miss it and want it back if you go back to the dull utility gain screen. I have posted details on cleaning in other threads.. do some searches of cleaning HP.
I totally forgot I made this post.

OK, lets assume I kept the OG HP 2.8 where it is in my theater. Would you recommend the newer HP as a purchase anyway for my wife's studio. It's mostly photography stills and slideshows she will use to demo to clients, and some ambient light will be present. I guess the crux of my questions are is the new HP a poor choice in general or is it only poor where compared to the original 2.8? I've got to buy something.

As for cleaning, I did do that with denatured alcohol a few years back. I got the actual debris off but there is still a "spot" for lack of a better work. It's almost like the screen finish was rubbed off or reoriented as if it was velvet or another material where you can change the direction of the fibers, yet the gain is still there when on axis. The spots only show when you're sitting a little off axis and the screen content is bright. It's really hard to describe in a forum post.

I will try giving the microbead a small massage to see if it goes away.

post #3784 of 3787 Old 07-15-2014, 07:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 54
If you read ALL of the reviews, some actually think the 2.4 is superior to the 2.8. Some of that could be individual tastes and some could be specific application. But the message to me is that the 2.4 is not bad, but just different from the 2.8. In any case, Da-Lite has suspended sales of HP 2.4 pending correction of a supplier problem. Some believe it will be coming back and some believe it won't. You'll have to wait to find out. If you need another screen soon, the only HP screens available are used ones. If you need a new screen soon, you need to find an alternative to HP, and there's really nothing else out there quite like it at anywhere near the price.
post #3785 of 3787 Old 07-15-2014, 08:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
If you read ALL of the reviews, some actually think the 2.4 is superior to the 2.8. Some of that could be individual tastes and some could be specific application. But the message to me is that the 2.4 is not bad, but just different from the 2.8. In any case, Da-Lite has suspended sales of HP 2.4 pending correction of a supplier problem. Some believe it will be coming back and some believe it won't. You'll have to wait to find out. If you need another screen soon, the only HP screens available are used ones. If you need a new screen soon, you need to find an alternative to HP, and there's really nothing else out there quite like it at anywhere near the price.
Yes, I think the HP2.4 is somewhat better than the 2.8: a somewhat wider viewing cone, and also (to my eye) a smoother pic. I had a 2.8 for 2-3 yrs, and liked it very much, and now have had a 2.4 (only replaced it because I wanted a larger screen) for 2-3 yrs.
post #3786 of 3787 Old 07-16-2014, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
How long has the sales of 2.4HP been suspended? I see a few vendors still selling screen options with HP?

post #3787 of 3787 Old 07-16-2014, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Vendors don't always update their websites. Some still show HCHP being available even though it was dropped by Da-Lite last year. You can track the HP 2.4 supply issue in the following thread:

High Power screen material supply issues?

One person in that thread who ordered just around the time HP 2.4 was dropped from the Da-Lite website did receive his order, but it's unclear if anyone has had any luck since then. The only way to know for sure is to try to place an order.
Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Projectors , Da Lite Screens , Da Lite High Power Hdtv Format Ascender Electric Projector Screen , Dalite Model C Video Format 105 X 140 Inch High Power Projection Screen

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page