Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryg View Post

Well I am 6'4"

how's this

The problem when I take pictures is I want to get a little more action in the image....in this case me Seriously though my theater room is 32' wide and 40' deep. In the first pic I just was 10 feet in front of the screen so the camera flash would reach me

Dude, you AND your room are HUGE. Why don't you and your friends just PLAY the Super Bowl in your theater room?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 3787 Old 12-23-2006, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
We Do!

are you saying I'm fat? I had to get a wider screen so my belly lookes thinner

Superbowl fun...

post #33 of 3787 Old 12-23-2006, 07:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Tryg, Thanks again from all of us for your efforts! One further questions re the HP:

I can manage to mount it 'high' (~7ft up) in the center of the screen, or 'low' (~50" up) on the back wall but off center. In calculating the viewing angles, they are both ~ 13-15 deg, one being that much vertically, and the other than much horizontally. [I can't mount it 'low' in the center of the back wall because that's a door!] Question: is there any difference in the fall-off of gain with vertical and horizontal displacement from the screen center?
post #34 of 3787 Old 12-23-2006, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

No, I meant huge as in tall. No wonder you have so many friends with that setup
post #35 of 3787 Old 12-23-2006, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

Tryg, Question: is there any difference in the fall-off of gain with vertical and horizontal displacement from the screen center?

No, with all screens the viewing cone is the same vertically and horizontally.

The Silverstar is the only screen I've found where the viewing is wider horizontally than vertically. This is the only exception I've found
post #36 of 3787 Old 12-23-2006, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks alot Tryg, I was just gonna paint a cheapo screen but now I want one of these.
post #37 of 3787 Old 12-23-2006, 08:57 AM
AVS Club Gold

this is off topic, but how does one get a room this size? did you renovate to add on a specific theater room or was the house built that way? how many subwoofers are you running? what pj?
post #38 of 3787 Old 12-23-2006, 08:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

thought i'd add a lay-persons perspective.
i have a high power screen, got into high power by accident because i had no clue when i got the first one, name just sounded good. it is a great screen. i have cleaned hp with water and spray cleaner like windex, etc. problem with hp is the surface is easily damaged and cannot be repaired. any little scratch will appear dark. the screen material has to then be replaced. my current screen has a through and through tear and it is almost invisible.( i live in a hundred year old house) two previous screens were scratched and those little spots were very obvious. so hp is easy to clean, but cannot be repaired.
the narrow viewing cone issue even seems to be over-stated. i think most will be pleased. my image seems bright and vivid to the point that i've been asked several times if there is big "tv" built in behind the screen. no one has ever mentioned a perceived change in the image as they move around or sat or stood. when i have moved from standing next to the pj with my eyes at lens level to sitting i cannot perceive a change. i think that is a valid test because eyes really are awesome light detectors. humans eyes detect and brains start perceiving vision when there is interaction with as few as three photons. if the viewing cone made a huge difference that difference would stand out to everyone who is sighted every single time. it would not be a maybe, maybe not kind of issue that people have a need to talk about.( on the other hand, i've wondered if the image does change, but not the perception of uniformity because of memory of how things should look, go figure)
anyway, i agree fully, hp is a great home theater screen.
thanks for your work on this review.
this was some good reading for those of us who are waiting on the jvc pj. sounds like the hp is a keeper
post #39 of 3787 Old 12-23-2006, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl b View Post

this is off topic, but how does one get a room this size? did you renovate to add on a specific theater room or was the house built that way? how many subwoofers are you running? what pj?

yes, I added the room.
1 12' sub. no need for more. I have it turned down and it still rocks the house
JVC DLA-G1000
post #40 of 3787 Old 12-23-2006, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 45
Quote:

You can always request samples from companies. The problem is you cant tell much from a sample except how bright it can potentially be. A sample doesn't tell you a lot of things like what the overall image is going to look like.

Fess up tryg, the real reason you now favor the high power was due to the fact that the SilverStar can't be manufactured in a seamless 12' wide 2.35:1 screen.

All kidding aside, this shot does look like it was taken very slightly off axis and both SilverStar samples appear much brighter than the HP sample. What gives?

I've been toying with the idea of getting an 11' wide 2.35:1 HP to complement my 9' wide 16:9 SS as well. How high is the pj's lens from the floor and what is the height from the top of the HP's screens viewable area to the floor?
post #41 of 3787 Old 12-23-2006, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithfarmer View Post

Fess up tryg, the real reason you now favor the high power was due to the fact that the SilverStar can't be manufactured in a seamless 12' wide 2.35:1 screen.

That is somewhat true. The reality is there are tradoffs with every product. Some prefer low or high gain. Some are willing to give up viewing angle for more brightness. etc etc etc

Finding what's absolutely best for any given situation is a very complex formula. Everybodys equipment, environment, setup, viewing preferences and value determinations are different. Just like with any product there is no perfect product for all applications....yet

One thing that I have found to be true is if its a professionally manufactured screen, generally it's very good. They simply couldn't stay in business if they weren't.

Smithfarmer

get it 12' so it's 5' high like the Silverstar.

lens is 8' off ground and 26' back from screen. Screen is 3' off ground. You can see a very slight reduction in brightness when sitting down, and slightly brighter when standing up (closer to the axis)
post #42 of 3787 Old 12-23-2006, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Smithfarmer

get it 12' so it's 5' high like the Silverstar.

lens is 8' off ground and 26' back from screen. Screen is 3' off ground. You can see a very slight reduction in brightness when sitting down, and slightly brighter when standing up (closer to the axis)

Present room constraints forces 11' wide.

Planned room addition by early 2008 will allow it though.

Can you comment on this observation?
Quote:

All kidding aside, this shot does look like it was taken very slightly off axis and both SilverStar samples appear much brighter than the HP sample. What gives?

post #43 of 3787 Old 12-23-2006, 11:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 167
"no one has ever mentioned a perceived change in the image as they move around or sat or stood."

Yes, another of the HP's great traits is that as you move off axis, the entire image dims uniformly.

What's really weird is standing to the side of the screen and seeing how bright it looks at nearly 90 deg.

I know that doesn't make sense given the gain spec, but try it and see.

Noah
post #44 of 3787 Old 12-23-2006, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

smithfarmer that picture was taken in daylight conditions. The light you see reflected is from a window behind and to the left of the camera. The picture doesn't demonstrate much about a projected image. Although a projector is on there is also high ambient light conditions
post #45 of 3787 Old 12-23-2006, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

smithfarmer that picture was taken in daylight conditions. The light you see reflected is from a window behind and to the left of the camera. The picture doesn't demonstrate much about a projected image. Although a projector is on there is also high ambient light conditions

Thanks for the explanation. So much for the naysayers claiming the SS totally washes out with "any" ambient light. Those who own one know better but it's always nice to see more evidence backing it up.

Since you have full sized versions, any chance of you doing a strictly HP/SS comparison in the near future?

I think millerwill would be extremely grateful.
post #46 of 3787 Old 12-23-2006, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #47 of 3787 Old 12-23-2006, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

I general how is the pricing of the HP vs SS?
Paul
post #48 of 3787 Old 12-23-2006, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Already available in White, Gray, Silver review

Thanks. It's ben so long since I initially read the review I simply forgot about it.
post #49 of 3787 Old 12-23-2006, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

There is no denying that the bright white screen is just as impressive as the grey screens are (lifelessly) unimpressive. Thanks for an excellent review.
But are there any negatives? I found one customer review at Amazon:

"I was initially pleased with this screen. Reasonable price, great contrast.

After about 45 days (15 days past when I could return it), the screen developed deep vertical wrinkles, tapered toward the bottom (like this: \\ / ).

I called Dalite to see what they could do about it. They rep immediately rattled off a long list of "things I could try". One of the suggestions was to completely disassemble the unit, iron it through a towel, retension the springs and put it back together. Another suggestion was to get 3 people together, have 2 people start in the center of the bottom and work their way out, pulling the screen tight in unision while the 3rd person holds a hair dryer on the wrinkles.

I got the feeling that the Dalite support reps just sit around all day waiting for calls from the hordes of customers who have warped screens.

What they wouldn't do was send me a new screen or repair my screen. I've tried a few of their fixes and thus far nothing has helped. I've now spent several hours trying to get these wrinkles out.

I don't think this is a well designed product, I would not buy another Dalite screen, and I would not recommend anyone else by one of their pull-down screens.

I plan to research other non-pull down screens, or possibly other mfg. pull down screens after asking their reps if wrinkles are a problem"
http://www.amazon.com/16X9-Model-Con...&s=electronics
post #50 of 3787 Old 12-23-2006, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

The model C cost almost double the model B. They both use the same "High Power fabric". So like what can be done to remove the wrinkles so common with pull these down screens? It is an issue. Is the Model C guaranteed not to wrinkle???

Time once again to raise the "high performance" standards
post #51 of 3787 Old 12-23-2006, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm glad Tryg "discovered" something most of us have known for 5 years. Da-Lite's High Power (or Hi-Power) is an incredible screen.

Mine is going on 5 years strong.

-Mr. Wigggles

The Mothership is now boarding.
post #52 of 3787 Old 12-23-2006, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reincarnate View Post

I got the feeling that the Dalite support reps just sit around all day waiting for calls from the hordes of customers who have warped screens.

I would guess this is why they dont market this material to home theater enthusiasts. They probably never get calls about their lower gain screens. I provided this review so people could set it up properly.

Amazon is not a site I would go to get reviews on anything

Also at most a model C usually only costs a couple hundred bucks more than a model B, usually less. It has a much nicer roller mechanism
post #53 of 3787 Old 12-23-2006, 03:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWigggles View Post

I'm glad Tryg "discovered" something most of us have known for 5 years. Da-Lite's High Power (or Hi-Power) is an incredible screen.

-Mr. Wigggles

Is yours fixed-frame or pulldown (or electric)? TIA
post #54 of 3787 Old 12-23-2006, 03:15 PM
QQQ
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWigggles View Post

You probably feel like the Indian's felt in 1492 when Columbus arrived and "discovered" America .
post #55 of 3787 Old 12-23-2006, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member

Hey lets get some photos on this bad boy tryg, id like to see it in action with all lights on and all lights off, thanks!
post #56 of 3787 Old 12-23-2006, 10:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 167
"I general how is the pricing of the HP vs SS?"

HP cost is a fraction of the SS

Noah
post #57 of 3787 Old 12-24-2006, 07:07 AM

Tryg tnx for great review. in testing samples i originally thought i was going to get a gray screen for the better blacks. But as you said there are many factors and perceived contrast is important and with the whole screen up the blacks seem fine. the screen disappears especially when you have a scene with blue skys could not say that with the hccv and it will work well with ambient lights which the plain white screen couldn't. yes the seats at the sides of the room are not as bright as the prime seats but nobody complains seating there and there not used most of the time. if it wasn't for the reviews and threads of this forum who knows what screen i would have gotten
post #58 of 3787 Old 12-24-2006, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi Tyrg, this is a fun thread. Have you ever tried out the Vutec Pearlbright? If so, which would you say is a higher gain... the Pearlbright or the High Power?

Thanks!

"The boom is dead, long live the bass"
post #59 of 3787 Old 12-24-2006, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

High Power is definately brighter.

Most of angular reflective screens that use pearlescent topcoats to acheive gain usually top out at around 2.5-2.7 gain. Going above this usually has some noticibly negative side effects.

I've seen the pearlbright and it looks like a pretty good product.
post #60 of 3787 Old 12-24-2006, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Man I wish I had passed trig - need a different Tryg to help me understand what kind of gain to expect with my setup. Below is what I was planning with my RS1 setup. I was planning on shelf mounting the PJ at the back of room ~8 feet to floor.

Room: 21x14x11
Screen: HP 103"x58"

First row eye level: 3.25' @ 12' from screen
Second row eye level: 4.25' @ 19.5' from screen
Screen Height from floor: 3'

Any help on what we'll see? I'm weighing using the HP on the shelf or a Carada BW from the ceiling.
Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Projectors , Da Lite Screens , Da Lite High Power Hdtv Format Ascender Electric Projector Screen , Dalite Model C Video Format 105 X 140 Inch High Power Projection Screen

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page