post #631 of 3787 Old 06-04-2007, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by javry View Post

It's great that you have the same PJ as bqmeister. That should allow you somewhat of a benchmark for setting things up. I would also add though, that the black level you see on your screen may still be different than what he sees because of other components in your system. Don't want to discourage you but I did want to add in that one thought. BTW, I agree with bqmeister about AV Science having the best price. It's a great screen. I think you'll be pleased with it.

I do also have very dark brown walls/ceiling and my front wall is black. My carpet is dark burgundy and when the lights are off in my room, it is pitch black.

I'm sure that all helps my blacks a bit.

<a href="
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" > My Outdoor Theater</a>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 3787 Old 06-06-2007, 03:04 AM

Hi,

Is the thick line the 0 angle?
http://www.dd.chalmers.se/~tveit/filer/proj.JPG
post #633 of 3787 Old 06-06-2007, 08:48 AM

Does anyone know if there are any quality differences between electric models and the C pull down? For example, better tension, borders, longer lasting, etc. Or is it just a convenience feature?

That's a picture of Leadbelly's grave in Shiloh Baptist Church Cemetery Mooringsport Caddo Parish Louisiana (with Arlo Gutherie's guitar picks placed in memoriam). Arlo put them on his grave in 2005 and they were still there in 2012.
post #634 of 3787 Old 06-06-2007, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepitsimple View Post

Hi,

Is the thick line the 0 angle?
http://www.dd.chalmers.se/~tveit/filer/proj.JPG

Not sure what you mean by 0 angle. Looks like angle from eyes to screen to projector, which you need to measure to get your gain from the HP. Smaller angle means greater gain.

Hope this helps.

That's a picture of Leadbelly's grave in Shiloh Baptist Church Cemetery Mooringsport Caddo Parish Louisiana (with Arlo Gutherie's guitar picks placed in memoriam). Arlo put them on his grave in 2005 and they were still there in 2012.
post #635 of 3787 Old 06-06-2007, 09:01 AM

I will try to explain better. Will the thickest line have the highest gain? Or will the highest gain be a line parallell with the ceiling? Or will they perhaps both have the same gain..
post #636 of 3787 Old 06-06-2007, 09:16 AM

I'm no expert on this stuff, but my understanding is that the picture you posted shows the thin lines just to outline the whole cone of light being put out by the projector. The thick line shows the angle from your eyes to the center of the screen, then to the lens of the projector, which is the angle you need to measure in your particular setup, or anticipated setup. The maximum gain from the HP screen is obtained by minimizing that angle. It is a function of how low your eyes are from the projector lens and how far back the projector is from you. Oiler posted useful charts (post 621 on page 21) in this thread for estimating gain and angle based on distance (in feet) your eyes are from projector lens in vertical and horizontal directions, and distance from screen to projector.

post #637 of 3787 Old 06-07-2007, 07:31 PM

Just got my Model C high power today and I've already took a utility knife to it and tacked it on a frame I made. I'm loving the pic but I still don't understand why they can sell a model c cheaper than fabric alone
post #638 of 3787 Old 06-07-2007, 07:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Sounds like a Cost Accounting peculiarity to me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #639 of 3787 Old 06-07-2007, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Curtis View Post

Just got my Model C high power today and I've already took a utility knife to it and tacked it on a frame I made. I'm loving the pic but I still don't understand why they can sell a model c cheaper than fabric alone

Think about the warranty. If they sell just fabric the person is bound to screw it up then claim it came that way. If you cut it off the roller...its yours.

Screen Reviews

post #640 of 3787 Old 06-08-2007, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Curtis View Post

What projector are you using, and how do you like the blacks on the new screen?

Rudy81
post #641 of 3787 Old 06-09-2007, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_63 View Post

I was able to find a better price than AVS. I've got the info posted in the deals section.

I couldn't get Richard at AVS to respond to a request for a quote. I gave up after 10 days--ordered from this source. Great price and service!

Edit: Went back and checked. Actually waited for over 2 weeks before I bailed, and still counting...

post #642 of 3787 Old 06-13-2007, 04:45 PM
Advanced Member

That source has everyone's prices beat, including shipping and their response time is very quick. I may end up ordering one sometime. I am still trying to decide if it will work for my application. I wish I could get a large piece instead of the 1'x1' samples da-lite sends.

Rudy81
post #643 of 3787 Old 06-14-2007, 02:32 PM

I received a quote from this source and it was a fantastic price for the Model C's that had EVERYONE beat plus they were very responsive. I was able to find a HP Model B 72"x96" for around $200 shipped that will serve as the screen for the time being (I will hang it from the ceiling as I continually work on my HT room). Once I finish the room (currently a concrete basement) and get the screen wall framed and put up I will cut the screen and make a proper 16:9 black velvet fixed frame (110" diag). It's going to take a while to get my home theater completed and I wanted to at least enjoy my new projector even though the floor, ceiling, walls aren't completely finished/treated (which I'm still formulating the plan).

Although I haven't posted before I've been soaking up all the knowledge from this forum and it has been helpful on selecting the projector (Sharp XV-Z12000), screen (Da-Lite High Power), 3 years ago the receiver (Pioneer VSX-1014TX) and Toshiba HD-A20.
post #644 of 3787 Old 06-14-2007, 04:09 PM

Test
post #645 of 3787 Old 06-15-2007, 03:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Wondering if any of you could help answer this..

Is a high power screen recommended if you are zooming? Here's the deal. The Vutec Silversomething sounds like a good screen, except I really hate when I see sheen or shiny whites, and it sounds like that's what I would get if I went with that. I like the idea of High Power, but I am wondering, ... let's say I'm using the zoom feature of my projector... will it still work properly? I have my projector mounted at 5.5' on a shelf. Ceiling is about 8'. For zooming, if we consider a projector with 1x-2x zoom, I would probably be zooming closer to 1.75... Will this cause distortion/loss of sharpness/etc with the high power screen?

I can deal with the viewing angle, but I don't want to take a chance on a screen that won't work because I'm zooming. There will be about 10.5'-11' of throw distance total.

Lex Luthor, Ruler of Australia, activate the machine!
post #646 of 3787 Old 06-15-2007, 04:59 AM

Hi,

i like the idea of the highgain Screen, espcecially for the capability for an ambient light filled projection.

my Sharp-XVZ3300 is wall mounted overhead with an offset of 24%. So i need an angular reflective Screen, right? The Da Lite High power isnt one, right?

Thanks.
post #647 of 3787 Old 06-15-2007, 07:37 AM

Stumlad: I only have 1.3 zoom-=-don't see any distortion in min to max zoom. I think any distortion would be from lens, not screen.

Kampf kobold: You are right, HP is retroreflective, but it might still give you a decent gain. I'm not sure how to interpret 24% offset. Search for post from oiler (I think it was back around post 620). He provides link to spreadsheet that shows brightness gain from various combos of offset. If you have trouble interpreting spreadsheet, post a question. As I recall, V is vertical shift from lens, H is horizontal shift, and then distance from screen to projector lens. Numbers are in feet, ie. 1.5 = 18". You will have to do the conversion to metric (we are still in the dark ages around here).

Just got my HP up last night. I just have to say Wow!!!. It is like night and day. Using Sharp 12K, lens about 10-18" over our eyes (depending on whether we are reclining or not), and about 3 feet back. The picture improvement (compared to a white bedsheet, I admit) is nothing short of jaw dropping and stunning. My wife, not given to hyperbole, said it is 10X better picture (well, she is not usually given to it). The improvement seems to be not just in brightness, but in contrast, black level, and color.

post #648 of 3787 Old 06-15-2007, 07:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Orwellflash: I concur with your enthusiasm for the HP!

Stumlad: I have my RS1 mounted at the closest possible position to my 126" diag HP, i.e., at max zoom. No hint of sparkies, or any screen structure, just a bright, contrasty pic, sharp as a tack.
post #649 of 3787 Old 06-15-2007, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwellflash View Post

Stumlad: I only have 1.3 zoom-=-don't see any distortion in min to max zoom. I think any distortion would be from lens, not screen.

Kampf kobold: You are right, HP is retroreflective, but it might still give you a decent gain. I'm not sure how to interpret 24% offset. Search for post from oiler (I think it was back around post 620). He provides link to spreadsheet that shows brightness gain from various combos of offset. If you have trouble interpreting spreadsheet, post a question. As I recall, V is vertical shift from lens, H is horizontal shift, and then distance from screen to projector lens. Numbers are in feet, ie. 1.5 = 18". You will have to do the conversion to metric (we are still in the dark ages around here).

Just got my HP up last night. I just have to say Wow!!!. It is like night and day. Using Sharp 12K, lens about 10-18" over our eyes (depending on whether we are reclining or not), and about 3 feet back. The picture improvement (compared to a white bedsheet, I admit) is nothing short of jaw dropping and stunning. My wife, not given to hyperbole, said it is 10X better picture (well, she is not usually given to it). The improvement seems to be not just in brightness, but in contrast, black level, and color.

This sounds very much how my room will be setup, glad to know I'm working towards a "Wow!!!".
post #650 of 3787 Old 06-15-2007, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

Orwellflash: I concur with your enthusiasm for the HP!

Stumlad: I have my RS1 mounted at the closest possible position to my 126" diag HP, i.e., at max zoom. No hint of sparkies, or any screen structure, just a bright, contrasty pic, sharp as a tack.

Thanks... this is the info I've been looking for!!!

Lex Luthor, Ruler of Australia, activate the machine!
post #651 of 3787 Old 06-18-2007, 05:13 PM

Liked: 12
Still enjoying my Dalite High Power. No complaints whatsoever. My PG is a NEC 6PG+

I do some very slight adjustments on my DVD player and video proccessor. I have allot less problems with halos or vertical lines caused by dark on light then before. It does not really bother me anymore.
post #652 of 3787 Old 06-21-2007, 08:25 AM

I got my first HP Model C, 4:3 aspect ratio, 69X92 screen about a week ago. The screen was in good condition but the case had a large dent in it and it wouldn't retract. My dealer promptly contacted Da-lite and they very promptly sent me a replacement (at their cost, one day air!). Got the new screen a couple of days ago. As I opened the box, I saw that it had foot prints on the top of the case and quite a bit of dust on it. It has a minor dent on the case, and a significant wave in lower right hand corner and smaller wave generally on middle right side. I haven't been able to see these waves in my bat cave room when a picture is being projected, unless I open the curtains and side light comes in. There is also wrinkled material on bottom rod (screws holding plate for pull-down ring were put in sloppily, bunching the material around it. The screen retracts, but repeated tries are necessary, and it is difficult to get it precisely located vertically.

Summary:

Good: I love the HP screen material, Da-lite's replacement response and customer service was first rate (as was the dealer's).

Bad: Da-lite's quality control seems pretty bad, based on my experience (of course, my experience could be anomalous), and/or shipping packaging is inadequate (though the shipping box was not damaged, as far as I could see, for either screen, and they were double boxed and looked adequately cushioned. I am inclining to think that they are coming from the factory this way.

Ugly: Wavey screen material on second screen, bunched material on bottom rod, dent in case.

I haven't decided what I will do. I really don't want to go through the hassle of getting it replaced again. It is annoying to buy a product at considerable cost and still have to accept that it is damaged and flawed after two tries. If I had it to do over, I think I would get a Model B (cheaper), take the material out of it and staple it to my wall and put a frame around it. I have a dedicated theater room, with wall board on walls (making holes easy to repair), so stapling a screen to the wall doesn't seem like a bad option. Of couse, I would have to give up the ability to adjust the vertical height of screen for different aspect ratios. Can I live with the screen I have? Yes, probably. Would I accept it if I saw it at a store? No.

post #653 of 3787 Old 06-22-2007, 08:18 AM

Got this response from Da-lite after sending them the essence of the message above:

>
>"I am sorry the replacement screen we sent was not satisfactory. Your
>description of the screen indicates that we did ship a bad screen.
>
>I don't want you to have to "live with it" and I will try to make the
>replacement as hassle free as possible. I will call Point of Power today
>to get the replacement going."

As I said, customer service is excellent!

I will report on the outcome.
>

post #654 of 3787 Old 06-22-2007, 12:12 PM

Having read this excellent thread through from beginning to end I have just ordered a DA-LITE HP Manual B 16:9 screen through a UK dealer. He wasn't sure whether this screen came with a black drop at the top of the screen as standard. Could someone who has one of these please tell me if it does or not?
post #655 of 3787 Old 06-25-2007, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwellflash View Post

Got this response from Da-lite after sending them the essence of the message above:

>
>"I am sorry the replacement screen we sent was not satisfactory. Your
>description of the screen indicates that we did ship a bad screen.
>
>I don't want you to have to "live with it" and I will try to make the
>replacement as hassle free as possible. I will call Point of Power today
>to get the replacement going."

As I said, customer service is excellent!

I will report on the outcome.
>

I thought Point of Power was on vacation for like two weeks so you may be waiting a while for them to get in touch. I'm glad I went with the Model B as I plan on cutting it anyway and making a fixed frame. Although I still had a fun time hanging the screen by myself.

The material and screen are top-notch, it feels like I'm watching a 110" Plasma when all the lights are off and this is in a not-yet painted room. I bought the primer and DARK, DARK blue paint for the room this weekend and will hopefully get around to that this week.
post #656 of 3787 Old 06-25-2007, 07:15 AM

I'm prepared to be patient on screen replacement.

I bet it was fun (and a little dangerous) hanging it by yourself, though I imagine it is lighter than the Model C. I agree on material--when you can optimize the projector location (low, close to viewers), it really produces a very bright, beautiful picture. In addition to dark paint, I stapled cheap velvet curtains to the walls and ceiling--makes a big difference.

post #657 of 3787 Old 06-25-2007, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neiname View Post

I was able to find a HP Model B 72"x96" for around $200 shipped ...

Based on seeing this, I shopped around a bit more and found what I assume is the same deal, same price. I had also tried getting a quote (twice) from AVS, never got any response (even a "no" would have been better than getting ignored).

I received this one last Friday, to go with my coffee table mount projector, and I love it. As long as I don't turn on the overhead chandalier light that hangs 5' directly in front of it, the ambient light rejection when viewed from the seating area is excellent! I can have the pool table light on the other side of the room on with no problems. Bright, vivid image. I'm very satisfied, as is my wife. I've seen no problems with the case or the screen (other than it being finicky about retracting, like others have said).
post #658 of 3787 Old 06-25-2007, 02:32 PM

Glad to hear you had no problems with your screen. I share everyone's enthusiasm for the screen material. I would say that my experience with the rest of the screen is a statistical outlier, but after receiving 3 bad ones, I think Da-lite has some serious quality control problems with the Model C.

On topic of AVS: at least we have the consolation that everyone seems to have been treated the same way.

post #659 of 3787 Old 07-06-2007, 01:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Well, my worst fears about matching the HP with an RS-1 are gone. Finally got the RS-1 in and all is very well, thank you very much. I'm running it in cinema mode low lamp modes along with every other setting that came from the factory. It works very well on a HP. No high gain glare or anything. Looks just right. BTW, for a test movie of the RS-1/HP setup, "Riddick" has my vote.
post #660 of 3787 Old 07-07-2007, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

hello
question:
does the high power material comes in microperforation also ? does it "reveal" it's a high gain screen, i mean can you see beyond 10ft that's there something with the screen, like a pearlescent effect such as from paint (which i HATE on a screen: a screen must be invisible, you should ONLY see the image).

thanks !
Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Projectors , Da Lite Screens , Da Lite High Power Hdtv Format Ascender Electric Projector Screen , Dalite Model C Video Format 105 X 140 Inch High Power Projection Screen

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page