HIGH POWER a Review! Part 1 - Page 23 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #661 of 3787 Old 07-07-2007, 02:30 PM
Blues In Thirds

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
well..... speaking for my experience, when I say it works very well with an RS-1, I mean that it is virtually invisible. It is an entirely different screen with my Sim2 300e and not as invisible but still very good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 3787 Old 07-07-2007, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
hi
can you precise ?
post #663 of 3787 Old 07-10-2007, 08:30 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital2004 View Post

hello
question:
does the high power material comes in microperforation also ? does it "reveal" it's a high gain screen, i mean can you see beyond 10ft that's there something with the screen, like a pearlescent effect such as from paint (which i HATE on a screen: a screen must be invisible, you should ONLY see the image).

thanks !

I would describe my HP as "invisible" with my Sharp 12K when an image is being projected. I don't see any screen texture at all.

That's a picture of Leadbelly's grave in Shiloh Baptist Church Cemetery Mooringsport Caddo Parish Louisiana (with Arlo Gutherie's guitar picks placed in memoriam). Arlo put them on his grave in 2005 and they were still there in 2012.
post #664 of 3787 Old 07-10-2007, 11:57 AM

I cant decide between a manual pull down or Cinema Contour fixed frame 110" screen.

will one or the other last longer? In other words, will the pull down screen develop more waves several years down the road?

anyone know about how far out the screen hangs from the wall on the model B and C?

any other drawbacks to the manual pull downs that I may not be aware of? They seem to be a much cheaper solution than the Cinema Contour- which I had originally planned on getting.
post #665 of 3787 Old 07-10-2007, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by steinfoot View Post

will the pull down screen develop more waves several years down the road?

As I understand it the angle that the HP is effective at is so narrow that waves are not apparent. But this is strictly what I've heard, not seen.
Quote:

anyone know about how far out the screen hangs from the wall on the model B and C?

I have a model B. It hangs 1/2 inch from the wall if the casing is pressed tight against the wall.
post #666 of 3787 Old 07-10-2007, 12:22 PM

Quote:

I cant decide between a manual pull down or Cinema Contour fixed frame 110" screen.

will one or the other last longer? In other words, will the pull down screen develop more waves several years down the road?

any other drawbacks to the manual pull downs that I may not be aware of? They seem to be a much cheaper solution than the Cinema Contour- which I had originally planned on getting.

I have received three Model C's from Da-Lite--two replacements and an original--all of them have had significant problems--including bent housings, not retracting, waves on screen, etc. It has been a tremendous hassle. Da-lite's customer service is good--but what does it matter if they can't get you a decent screen? They have a serious quality control problem (with the Model C at least). I don't know about the Model B or the fixed frame screens. I haven't heard of any problems with the fixed frame models, except that they can be difficult to snap to the frame. The Model B is considerably cheaper than the C, so I would try that rather than a C if you want a manual. My first Model C didn't have waves, but the last 2 did. Unfortunately the first one wouldn't retract and had a large dent in the housing. I haven't tried it, but I have heard that you can cut out the material of a Model B, staple it to a wall and put a frame around it for a cheap fixed screen. The High Power material is excellent if you can configure your projector for it properly (close to eye level and seating within screen width).

Model C screen hangs 2" from the wall.

If you are worried about waves, I would recommend a fixed frame screen. I can't see the waves on the Model C in my bat cave, dedicated HT when an image is being projected on it, but when side light hits the screen, they are very visible. Mine is a 106", 4:3.

That's a picture of Leadbelly's grave in Shiloh Baptist Church Cemetery Mooringsport Caddo Parish Louisiana (with Arlo Gutherie's guitar picks placed in memoriam). Arlo put them on his grave in 2005 and they were still there in 2012.
post #667 of 3787 Old 07-10-2007, 12:24 PM

Thanks erkq!

are you happy with your model B?

model C has some better components? or the other way around..
post #668 of 3787 Old 07-10-2007, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwellflash View Post

I have received three Model C's from Da-Lite--two replacements and an original--all of them have had significant problems--including bent housings, not retracting, waves on screen, etc. It has been a tremendous hassle. Da-lite's customer service is good--but what does it matter if they can't get you a decent screen? They have a serious quality control problem (with the Model C at least). I don't know about the Model B or the fixed frame screens. I haven't heard of any problems with the fixed frame models, except that they can be difficult to snap to the frame. The Model B is considerably cheaper than the C, so I would try that rather than a C if you want a manual. My first Model C didn't have waves, but the last 2 did. Unfortunately the first one wouldn't retract and had a large dent in the housing. I haven't tried it, but I have heard that you can cut out the material of a Model B, staple it to a wall and put a frame around it for a cheap fixed screen. The High Power material is excellent if you can configure your projector for it properly (close to eye level and seating within screen width).

Model C screen hangs 2" from the wall.

If you are worried about waves, I would recommend a fixed frame screen. I can't see the waves on the Model C in my bat cave, dedicated HT when an image is being projected on it, but when side light hits the screen, they are very visible. Mine is a 106", 4:3.

Hmm thats definitely good to know. That might be enough to convince me to just spend the extra for the fixed frame. I like the look of it better over the manual pull down.

thanks!
post #669 of 3787 Old 07-10-2007, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hmm thats definitely good to know. That might be enough to convince me to just spend the extra for the fixed frame. I like the look of it better over the manual pull down.

thanks!

If you're at all handy, I know at least one or two people here bought the model B pulldown and used the material to make their own fixed frame screen.
DaLite will sell the material without the case, but it's much more expensive. But buying the cheapest case with the material you want and cutting the material out and making your own frame would be significantly less than buying a fixed frame screen.

That's probably the route I'd have taken had I gone fixed screen.

post #670 of 3787 Old 07-10-2007, 02:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:

thanks!

I have a Cinema Contour 110" and except for the initial difficulty of getting the snaps in place it's been a great screen. If you can get help to do the snaps, do. Once you have a few key snaps in place (i.e. three corners, get it off the floor (NEVER put the viewing side down) and do the rest against the wall. Much easier.

Joe Clark

post #671 of 3787 Old 07-10-2007, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:

Thanks erkq!

are you happy with your model B?

Not really. It has waves on the lower right corner. It has slight horizontal creases. No one notices any of that but me though.

I see the waves because my pj is mounted fairly high.

I'm building a 10' SMX for the new house.
post #672 of 3787 Old 07-10-2007, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

I have a Cinema Contour 110" and except for the initial difficulty of getting the snaps in place it's been a great screen. If you can get help to do the snaps, do. Once you have a few key snaps in place (i.e. three corners, get it off the floor (NEVER put the viewing side down) and do the rest against the wall. Much easier.

heheh, yea I read your post about putting it together! doesn't sound too fun, but I can't imagine it being much more difficult or painful than stretching and stapling blackout cloth! (my current screen is DIY BO cloth).

Sounds like you have been pretty happy with the da-lite HP?

I still have my sample taped up and its totally distracting when I watch movies because my eyes keep drifting up to that brilliant 6x6 square!
post #673 of 3787 Old 07-10-2007, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post

Not really. It has waves on the lower right corner. It has slight horizontal creases. No one notices any of that but me though.

I see the waves because my pj is mounted fairly high.

I'm building a 10' SMX for the new house.

I should amend my suggestion about getting a Model B to use it as a fixed screen. Some of the waves in my Model C screen probably could not be tensioned out. Probably best bet to avoid waves is get a fixed screen.

post #674 of 3787 Old 07-10-2007, 02:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

heheh, yea I read your post about putting it together! doesn't sound too fun, but I can't imagine it being much more difficult or painful than stretching and stapling blackout cloth! (my current screen is DIY BO cloth).

Sounds like you have been pretty happy with the da-lite HP?

I still have my sample taped up and its totally distracting when I watch movies because my eyes keep drifting up to that brilliant 6x6 square!

I LOVE this screen. I have a Sharp 20k 1080p projector, which I also love, but it's pretty dim. Not with the HP, though. After close to 1450 hours on the lamp, it's still very watchable even in low lamp and High Contrast (iris closed down to its smallest setting). If I'd known what I know now about the HP's snaps, it wouldn't have been a problem. After I got the screen off the floor, it was easy to get the other snaps in place. I had a Stewart Firehawk before, and I liked the look of the fixed frame. The HP is just as attractive. A fixed frame is very classy looking, IMO.

Joe Clark

post #675 of 3787 Old 07-10-2007, 03:20 PM

I agree that fixed frames look nicer. I wish I had the option. Sadly I've got a chair rail molding running around the room.

I'm getting a little concerned about the model C problems Orwell mentioned, they aren't made in China are they?
post #676 of 3787 Old 07-10-2007, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tutmos View Post

I agree that fixed frames look nicer. I wish I had the option. Sadly I've got a chair rail molding running around the room.

I'm getting a little concerned about the model C problems Orwell mentioned, they aren't made in China are they?

As far as I know, they are made in Indiana, good old US of A.

post #677 of 3787 Old 07-11-2007, 09:17 AM

Hello All,
I have read through this thread completely and have learned a great deal.
I've changed my projector plans from the Sony Pearl to the JVC RS1 based on reviews.
My biggest concern now is getting the right screen for this projector.
My room is 24' wide and 26' deep with 12' ceilings. The screen will be placed in the middle of a 24' wide wall. All HT seating is directly in front of the screen and consists of a large sectional.
It is a finished walk out basement, so there are some windows on the North wall and a door that can be covered with blinds and heavy drapes. However, there is an open stairway leading to the main floor that allows some uncontrolled ambient light, enough that the light reaches the far wall but not enough to read by at mid room. Walls are dark green, carpet is tan, ceiling white. So, obviously not an ideal dedicated home theater. However, we have decided to keep our 65" rear projection and use that for casual viewing and reserve the PJ for movies and gaming which usually happens when light is not an issue.
From what I have read, the Da lite High Power Cinema Contour with a 2.8 gain is an ideal choice of screen for my application.
Here's where I need the help.
If I sit 12 to 13 feet back from the screen, how large of a screen can I get and still have 'comfortable' viewing? Initially I thought 106", now considering 110", but have been told 120", even 126", would be okay too?
Here are my projector mounting option. Please help me choose which is best to get maximum benefit from this screen. Again, seating is at 12' to 13', all centered within screen width. 'My' seating is direct dead center .
1. PJ at 24 feet, 7 feet high on shelf, at back of room, dead center of screen.
2. PJ at 13 feet, 4 to 5 feet high on table top/cabinet, just behind seating area, dead center.
3. PJ at 10 feet, 3 feet high on table top, in front of seating area, dead center.
Screen can be placed at just about any height due to high ceiling.
Each option has its advantages and drawbacks in terms of cable length, PJ noise, ease of set up, etc.
Please help me figure this out.
Thank you all.
Sean
post #678 of 3787 Old 07-11-2007, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

I am using a 133" HP from about 11 or 12 feet. My projector is the Hitachi tx100 so I sometimes see some screen door but it is an acceptable trade off for the experience of a nice large screen HD movies and OTA HD looks fantastic!

I would get the biggest screen that will fit because projectors will get better over time which will allow you to take advantage of the larger screen. That was my reasoning for getting the largest screen that would fit and I'm glad I did.
post #679 of 3787 Old 07-11-2007, 05:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Sean, I have a 126" diag HP in a 17.5 x 13.5 ft room and find it excellent. Sit about 12.5 ft away. RS1 is located similar to your option 2., and it workds very well; it is right at min throw. I don't think you will be disappointed!
post #680 of 3787 Old 07-11-2007, 07:14 PM
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I am expecting a Model B 72" x96" HP tomorrow...

Plan to use an Epson Cinema 400 on this bad boy, ceiling mounted.

I hope I don't need to put the lens centerline more than a foot or so into the image...
post #681 of 3787 Old 07-11-2007, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCJ View Post

Hello All,
I have read through this thread completely and have learned a great deal.
I've changed my projector plans from the Sony Pearl to the JVC RS1 based on reviews.
My biggest concern now is getting the right screen for this projector.
My room is 24' wide and 26' deep with 12' ceilings. The screen will be placed in the middle of a 24' wide wall. All HT seating is directly in front of the screen and consists of a large sectional.
It is a finished walk out basement, so there are some windows on the North wall and a door that can be covered with blinds and heavy drapes. However, there is an open stairway leading to the main floor that allows some uncontrolled ambient light, enough that the light reaches the far wall but not enough to read by at mid room. Walls are dark green, carpet is tan, ceiling white. So, obviously not an ideal dedicated home theater. However, we have decided to keep our 65" rear projection and use that for casual viewing and reserve the PJ for movies and gaming which usually happens when light is not an issue.
From what I have read, the Da lite High Power Cinema Contour with a 2.8 gain is an ideal choice of screen for my application.
Here's where I need the help.
If I sit 12 to 13 feet back from the screen, how large of a screen can I get and still have 'comfortable' viewing? Initially I thought 106", now considering 110", but have been told 120", even 126", would be okay too?
Here are my projector mounting option. Please help me choose which is best to get maximum benefit from this screen. Again, seating is at 12' to 13', all centered within screen width. 'My' seating is direct dead center .
1. PJ at 24 feet, 7 feet high on shelf, at back of room, dead center of screen.
2. PJ at 13 feet, 4 to 5 feet high on table top/cabinet, just behind seating area, dead center.
3. PJ at 10 feet, 3 feet high on table top, in front of seating area, dead center.
Screen can be placed at just about any height due to high ceiling.
Each option has its advantages and drawbacks in terms of cable length, PJ noise, ease of set up, etc.
Please help me figure this out.
Thank you all.
Sean

Sean,
Try looking at the charts I posted in post 621 of this thread. They may help.

Regards
Brian

Brian
post #682 of 3787 Old 07-11-2007, 09:15 PM

Thank you all very much for the input so far. I really do appreciate it.
I was worried about too large a screen and possibly 'motion sickness' or something along those lines with too large a screen and sitting too close.
Anyone experience any thing like that with really big screens?
In terms of PJ placement:
I think I will shoot for option 2 above which will cut back on length of cable needed and allow for somewhat easier install, but the projector noise may be an issue that close. I think I can get the ideal gain from the screen with this placement.
Still open for other advice and suggestions though.
Thanks again everyone.
I'm hoping to make the commitment to purchase very soon. Just need to make sure I've got everything taken into consideration before the plunge. Don't want any buyer's remorse with this kind of investment.
post #683 of 3787 Old 07-11-2007, 11:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

Thank you all very much for the input so far. I really do appreciate it.
I was worried about too large a screen and possibly 'motion sickness' or something along those lines with too large a screen and sitting too close.
Anyone experience any thing like that with really big screens?
I think I will shoot for option 2 above which will cut back on length of cable needed and allow for somewhat easier install, but the projector noise may be an issue that close. I think I can get the ideal gain from the screen with this placement.
Still open for other advice and suggestions though.
Thanks again everyone.
I'm hoping to make the commitment to purchase very soon. Just need to make sure I've got everything taken into consideration before the plunge. Don't want any buyer's remorse with this kind of investment.

Re screen size, I agree with the above posters to go for as large as you can accommodate. Most people with 1080p pj's sit at </= 1.5 screen widths away. I sit at ~ 1.35 and like it very much; some like it right ~ 1.5, and some even much closer, ~ 1.0.
post #684 of 3787 Old 07-12-2007, 02:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I am completely remorseless about the HP and 1080p. Bigger is better. I'm only sorry my home theater room isn't bigger.

Joe Clark

post #685 of 3787 Old 07-12-2007, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

I am using a 100-inch HP screen with my Epson Home Cinema 1080. My viewing area is 12 feet from the screen, and the PJ is mounted on a 36-inch-high pedestal five feet behind the viewing area. Screen gain is terrific, and I hear no PJ noise with the lamp on low power, which provides more than enough brightness. I could move my seating closer to the screen, but I feel it is about right where is is now.
post #686 of 3787 Old 07-12-2007, 01:04 PM
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
post #687 of 3787 Old 07-12-2007, 07:04 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
I don't think there will be one.
post #688 of 3787 Old 07-13-2007, 12:01 AM

I've just read a few posts on the JVC owner's thread about blacks becomming more dark gray when using the High Power screen, saying that the screen may actually be too bright.
Can those here running the JVC provide some input as to what they are seeing in terms of black coloration with the high power?
To me, the reason for spending an extra $1700 for the JVC over the Pearl is for the better blacks and overall contrast.
I'd hate to buy the High Power and lose the great blacks from this projector. I still want a very bright image, but blacks really need to be 'black', not 'dark gray'.
Thanks for the input.
Sean
post #689 of 3787 Old 07-13-2007, 02:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Worst case scenario, you buy a filter for use with the lamp while it's still new. When the lamp ages, take the filter off. I don't think that's a reason to rule out the HP for an RS1. I have a Sharp 20k, which I thought was almost a little too bright when the lamp was brand new, but not enough to filter it. After nearly 1500 hours, it's still bright enough that I haven't switched the iris from High Contrast to medium. This is a great screen.

Joe Clark

post #690 of 3787 Old 07-13-2007, 02:34 AM

I´m searching for an Mid Cost High Gain Angular reflektiv screen for my Sharp XV-Z3300, avaible in Europe...
Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Projectors , Da Lite Screens , Da Lite High Power Hdtv Format Ascender Electric Projector Screen , Dalite Model C Video Format 105 X 140 Inch High Power Projection Screen

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page