HIGH POWER a Review! Part 1 - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 3787 Old 10-31-2007, 12:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hang it from the ceiling with lag hooks and use a few inches of chain lengths to get whatever height you want? It's an easy install that way. Just one option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 3787 Old 10-31-2007, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZ View Post

My room is also primarily a family room. Coming from a dedicated HT, I realized the importance of room colors and compromised (kept white ceilings). My screen is a Dalite 119" Designer Contour Electrol High Power.
The High Power is great. I initially had it installed with the white walls. There was a significant difference with the moderate darkening of the walls using less reflective suede paint and dark blackout velvet curtains.

I'm ordering a manual 138" 2.35:1 HP from AVS to have a dual screen setup.

RobZ, I'm debating going with a pull-down screen or "velcroing" a 58"x104" HP screen surface to a custom-made aluminum frame that will swing up out of the way when not in use (so that another screen can be used).

Does your pull-down remain very flat when you are using it?

Other pull-down users - does you screen remain flat after you pull it out of the case?
post #903 of 3787 Old 11-04-2007, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Just another comment on how great the HP screen is. I'm using it with an RS1, and this screen really does give you great brightness and the "pop" someone referred to earlier. I'm absolutely floored at how good it looks. I'm using a 112" wide 2.35:1 screen, and a Blue-ray image looks as good as any movie theater I've ever seen. Watched Silver Surfer last night, and found it hard to concentrate on the movie because I kept marveling at how great the image was.

Now if Da-Lite would just make the installation screw holes in the back of the screen the right size for the screws they give you so that you don't have to be Hercules to put this thing together . . . .
post #904 of 3787 Old 11-07-2007, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I recently revised my High Power Screen Gain Calculator (see separate thread in this forum) to compute screen gain simultaneously for the left side, center, and right side of the screen. This reveals not only gain but also brightness uniformity for a given input configuration. While testing the new version of the calculator, I learned some things about brightness uniformity that I think may be of interest to current HP owners and those considering the HP, as follows.

1. For a center seat, the HP provides near perfect brightness uniformity, even for very wide screens.

2. For some configurations, the HP provides slightly higher gain at the right and left sides of the screen than at the center! This can help correct any edge brightness loss of the PJ. Note that this behavior is opposite that of angular reflective gain screens, which exhibit lower gain at the sides, IIRC.

3. For off-center seating, the brightness uniformity is highly sensitive to the distance of the PJ lens from the screen, near perfect uniformity being achieved when the PJ lens is about the same distance from the screen as the off-center seating. A PJ position somewhat to the rear of the off-center seating makes the side of the screen brighter on the same side as the off-center seating. A PJ position somewhat to the front of the off-center seating makes the side of the screen brighter on the opposite side from the off-center seating.

I invite those of you who would like to evaluate your own HT configuration to play with my new (Ver. 2.0) HP screen gain calculator. It's free, of course, and very easy to use.
post #905 of 3787 Old 11-08-2007, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Didn't all of Tryg's reviews/tutorials have tons of pictures? None of my bookmarked links nor the posts here are giving me pictures now. I'm on a new computer with cable modem, so I don't think it's me, but..........?

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding cause she knows where I sleep."
post #906 of 3787 Old 11-09-2007, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post

Didn't all of Tryg's reviews/tutorials have tons of pictures? None of my bookmarked links nor the posts here are giving me pictures now. I'm on a new computer with cable modem, so I don't think it's me, but..........?

If you don't see photos in the OP, it's you.
post #907 of 3787 Old 11-09-2007, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
It's your browser. Try using Firefox
post #908 of 3787 Old 11-09-2007, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryg View Post

It's your browser. Try using Firefox

Don't know why it would be my browser when I used to see them on the same Windows Explorer program on the same new computer. I did check my settings on AVS, and it's marked show images.....hmmm.

Maybe they'll just magically come back over time.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding cause she knows where I sleep."
post #909 of 3787 Old 11-10-2007, 09:30 AM

tried e-mailing AVS Jason about a month ago, but still no reply, so i'll ask in the forum...

Trying to see how much a Da-Lite High Power screen in a size 78" x 139" (159" diagonal) would cost me. I'd need 12" of drop on top (black), so factoring that in, how much would a Contour Electrol, and Model C, in High Power 78" x 139" cost? Thanks for any help.
post #910 of 3787 Old 11-10-2007, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeaks182 View Post

tried e-mailing AVS Jason about a month ago, but still no reply, so i'll ask in the forum...

Trying to see how much a Da-Lite High Power screen in a size 78" x 139" (159" diagonal) would cost me. I'd need 12" of drop on top (black), so factoring that in, how much would a Contour Electrol, and Model C, in High Power 78" x 139" cost? Thanks for any help.

Jason was on vacation for awhile, and then was probably swamped when he got back. I'd try emailing him again, or call the toll free number for AVScience on Monday and ask for Jason, Richard, or one of the sales guys. Any other pricing information from us will be just a guess, unless someone recently ordered the exact same thing.
post #911 of 3787 Old 11-10-2007, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

You can also contact the pointofpower.com folks if you don't get a response from AVS. I purchased from them and they were terrific.

Rudy81
post #912 of 3787 Old 11-10-2007, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy81 View Post

You can also contact the pointofpower.com folks if you don't get a response from AVS. I purchased from them and they were terrific.

"Easy Sunday Plus Worship Software" ?? ewww!
post #913 of 3787 Old 11-10-2007, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member

http://www.pointofpower.com/Screens/index.htm

I have no affiliation with these folks, I ordered mine from them and they were extremely helpful.

Rudy81
post #914 of 3787 Old 11-11-2007, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty View Post

Jason was on vacation for awhile, and then was probably swamped when he got back. I'd try emailing him again, or call the toll free number for AVScience on Monday and ask for Jason, Richard, or one of the sales guys. Any other pricing information from us will be just a guess, unless someone recently ordered the exact same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy81 View Post

thanks a lot guys, i appreciate the info. will try both suggestions.
post #915 of 3787 Old 11-11-2007, 12:43 PM

Email me at richard@avscience.com, I'll answer your questions tomorrow morning.

Richard
post #916 of 3787 Old 12-13-2007, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLBoy View Post

I invite those of you who would like to evaluate your own HT configuration to play with my new (Ver. 2.0) HP screen gain calculator. It's free, of course, and very easy to use.

Where is this HP gain calculator?
post #917 of 3787 Old 12-13-2007, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi Tryg-

Here it is:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=910144
I thought you had seen it. It's based in part on the gain chart in the OP of your HP review thread, with a bit of 3-D vector mathematics to calculate the error angle. Give it a try. I'd like to know what you think of it.
post #918 of 3787 Old 12-16-2007, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for all the good info here. After several other screens, I finally bought and installed the HP for use with my AX100U. I absolutely love it! I finally feel like I have a real screen that makes my pj look fantastic, and I didn't have to break the bank to get it.
post #919 of 3787 Old 12-16-2007, 07:09 PM
Blues In Thirds

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm of the same mind. Although I kinda wish I'd gotten it bigger.
post #920 of 3787 Old 12-17-2007, 11:10 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I posted this elswhere, but I might get the answer I'm looking for here:

My current viewing room is with a Pany 65" plasma. I'm planning to keep the plasma for watching broadcast TV but would like to set up a projection system with a manual screen which would pull down in front of the plasma for blue ray movies and night time football. My projector of choice so far is the JVC DLA-RS2 which would be mounted 17' away from the screen, on center horizontally and only about 6 inches above the screen centerline. So it will be pretty much on axis. The room is not light controlled, but the left and right side are medium dark brown and dark green respectively. The ceiling is vaulted and is a light beige. The carpet is white. Seating area (3 seats) will be pretty much on center and 13' away from the screen. I'm thinking of ordering a Dalite 106" diagonal Advantage HDTV 16:9 Manual with either a Video Spectra or High Power Screen. What would you experts suggest? And is the 106" too large for the 13' viewing distance?
post #921 of 3787 Old 12-18-2007, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Based on the information you have given thus far, I would say the High Power might be your best choice. The key issue for determining the gain of the HP is whether the height of the PJ is fairly near your viewers' seated eye-level, not where it is w/r to the screen center. Also, with the HP screen, you will get better brightness uniformity for your off-center seats if you can position the PJ closer to the same distance from the screen as your seating. (This is not of huge importance, however, as most folks won't notice brightness nonuniformity until it becomes large.) If you want to quantitatively evaluate a few different arrangements, you can use my High Power Screen Gain Calculator, described in this thread.

As to your question about viewing distance, I use a 100-inch 16:9 screen at 13.5 feet, and I would like to have a slightly larger one, but the room width does not allow it, so I think a 106 at 13 feet would be fine.
post #922 of 3787 Old 12-18-2007, 09:57 AM

Thanks. The projector lens will be mounted on a shelf about 65 inches above ground level and the viewing height (eye height) is about 41 inches above grround level. So a difference of about 24 inches. This can probably be tweaked a little lower if needed. Is this too much height difference?
post #923 of 3787 Old 12-18-2007, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Regarding viewing distance: I sit back 10' from a 10' wide screen. With the RS1 it's not too close! No pixel structure and very immersive. My second seating row is 16' back and I prefer the front row.
post #924 of 3787 Old 12-18-2007, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fperra View Post

Thanks. The projector lens will be mounted on a shelf about 65 inches above ground level and the viewing height (eye height) is about 41 inches above grround level. So a difference of about 24 inches. This can probably be tweaked a little lower if needed. Is this too much height difference?

I plugged your dimensions into my calculator, and your center-seat gain is about 2.1--not bad. A lower PJ position would make the gain higher, but you don't want a viewer's head to block the line of sight from the PJ lens to the bottom of the screen viewing area, which I calculate to be about 33 inches above the floor. Depending on how far over your side seats are, the gain will be less--probably around 1.5-1.7 at center screen. Side to side brightness uniformity will not be the greatest for the off-center seats, because the PJ is five feet behind the seating. (Most viewers won't notice the nonuniformity, though.) I suggest you download my calculator and try some "what ifs" to get a real feel for what happens with different PJ positions.
post #925 of 3787 Old 12-18-2007, 03:43 PM

Go bigger!
post #926 of 3787 Old 12-18-2007, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tutmos View Post

Go bigger!

Yes, THAT's my point! Go bigger, you won't be disappointed. 1x viewing distance works.
post #927 of 3787 Old 12-18-2007, 05:49 PM

Too late to go bigger. I just ordered the JVC RS2 projector and the 106" diag. DA-lite high power screen. Thanks for the advice. Hopefully it will be all set up for the Superbowl (go Green Bay).
post #928 of 3787 Old 12-19-2007, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fperra View Post

Too late to go bigger. I just ordered the JVC RS2 projector and the 106" diag. DA-lite high power screen. Thanks for the advice. Hopefully it will be all set up for the Superbowl (go Green Bay).

Congrats! That should be an absolutely stunning combination. I'm envious.
post #929 of 3787 Old 12-22-2007, 10:11 AM

Thanks. My wife thinks I'm crazy and she doesn't understand why the 65" Pany plasma isn't good enough. Hopefully she will see the light once the system is set up.
post #930 of 3787 Old 01-08-2008, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
guys, just wanted to get more input from the HP owners. After browsing the thread I just wanted to clarify that waves on HP are not very visible so it not being available as a tensioned drop down is no big deal. Also I take it that owners don't notice/mind the loss of "black levels" due to the improved perceived contrast? (hope I'm stating that correctly). and even if you can't get a pj at eye level you still get some benefits as long as you're not ridiculously out of the recommended range? ( in other words any chance of negative effects or do you just not get full beneficial effects?)

thanks,

andy

ps.. I'll be using the hi power with a sony ruby, ceiling mounting, but dropping the pj 2 feet down, with sitting area about 10-12 feet away.
Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Projectors , Da Lite Screens , Da Lite High Power Hdtv Format Ascender Electric Projector Screen , Dalite Model C Video Format 105 X 140 Inch High Power Projection Screen

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page